Interstellar Orchard isn’t just a collection of personal travel journals, it’s a compendium of informational articles designed to help you get on the road as a full-time RVer and live a more fulfilling life. Listed below are the most useful and popular posts I’ve written over the years. Read what resonates with you and craft your outline for freedom.
Comments are welcome! I respond to questions on blog posts, regardless of how long ago they were published.
- An Explanation of RV Types (a two part series)
- Why go Small RVing
- The Best Type of RV
- Solo RVer Safety
- Keeping Warm in my Little RV
- What To Do When the Plumbing Freezes
- Finding Good Campgrounds
- Planning a Repositioning Trip (for traveling long distances in a hurry, not sightseeing)
- Boondocking Answers (links to every how-to article I’ve written about boondocking, long!)
- Thinking about a Casita and looking for more info? Check the Rig page for more links.
- Top 10 Things to Know About Full-timing
- Full-time RVing Won’t Change Who You Are
- On Domicile State Selection
- Setting up South Dakota residency for Rvers (a two part series, covers mail forwarding, vehicle registration and vehicle insurance in addition to forms and documents needed)
- South Dakota Health Insurance as a Young Rver
- RVing and Taxes (helpful links in the comments too)
- How to Avoid Loneliness as a Solo Rver (a two part series)
- Mobile Internet (what I use now, used in the past, and links to a good site with more options)
- RVing and the Work/Life Balance
- The RVing Wardrobe
- Five Pieces of Advice for Aspiring Female Solos
- What About Retirement?
- Answers About Full-timing (a rehash of some previous material and a few new things)
- An Ode to Full-timing Diversity (it’s all about respect, yo)
- Moving Back to a Fixed Home (how to get off the road)
Money Stuff & Earning a Living on the Road
- The Cost of Full-time RVing (by stages) (how much it costs to get on the road initially)
- My Income and Cost of Living on the Road (Annual reports from 2011 to 2015)
- Debt and Rving (pro tip: avoid debt if at all possible)
- The RVing Emergency Fund (note, my emergency fund is $6,000 now, I decided to raise it periodically)
- Six Benefits of Seasonal Jobs
- About Amazon’s CamperForce (this article links to every post I’ve written about CamperForce)
- Working at National Parks for RVers (a two part series, one for the Park Service, one for concessionaires)
- Working for a Non-profit Park Association (a third choice for national park work)
- Finding Temp/Contract jobs for RVers (working for temp agencies, and other non-RVing-specific jobs)
- Three Ordinary Work Days (to give you a feel of what working on the road is like)
- Making the Most of an Extended Work-camping Stay
Looking for more about full-time RVing?
If you’re really serious about hitting the road, consider my e-guide: Solo Full-time RVing On A Budget.
About Deliberate Living (philosophy)
- You Must Be Crazy
- Remembering How to Dream (the very first IO post, first of a five part series)
- Give Yourself Permission
- Don’t Listen to Naysayers (the various ways people might react to your decision to follow your dreams, and what you can do about it)
- It’s Not What You Own, It’s What You Do (a two part series)
- The Importance of Contribution
- Relativity and a Car Crash
- Fighting Fear (how to deal with the uncertainty of a big lifestyle change)
- Fluid Decision Making
- Age, Beauty, and Wisdom
- Words of Encouragement
- Never Settle
- Facing Down Obstacles
- Little Moments
- Having Enough
- The Pie Is Unlimited
Looking for more about deliberate living?
If you’re really serious about taking control of your life, consider my e-guide: The Little Guide To Dreaming Big.