Are you wondering where to find good boondocks? What you should do to prepare before arriving? How to stretch your resources for a longer stay? How to stay safe out in the boonies? Well this is the article for you. I’ve written about most of these subjects before, but the individual posts eventually fall off […]
After a fantastic hike among the rocks at the back of Sawtooth campground on Wednesday the 6th (the pictures in the previous post), it rains for the rest of my stay. Not all day, never very hard, but the sky remains overcast and and the air is chill. Because of the lack of sunlight I […]
Multiple people have asked in comments recently about safety while boondocking so I thought I’d write my thoughts about it here where everyone can see. In short, I don’t think boondocking is any less safe than any other kind of camping. The lower population density out in the desert means fewer marks for criminals, and […]
March 11, Friday I open my eyes in the morning, and immediately know something is off. Where is the sun? It’s a rare overcast day in the desert. Around noon the wind is suppose to pick up, the park is under a wind advisory. Well, not making any day trips today. Luckily there are other […]
Boondocking has a different rhythm from other types of RVing, one I’m still getting the hang of. While I expected it to be more spontaneous, I actually find myself planning more. Routes and routines greatly influenced by the weather. The temperature has to be within a certain range to be comfortable without hookups to rely […]
I still keep waiting for the ball to drop, but I don’t think it’s coming this year. For the first time since I hit the road, my taxes were, well, almost easy. Maybe it only seems easier because of the practice and accumulated knowledge of having done it for several years now. Either way, I […]
With the ending of the Fiberglass rally in Quartzsite on the 15th, the last social gathering on my list for this winter is checked off. I could go anywhere from here, which is a very liberating feeling. It’s already getting into the mid 80’s during the day so I could start heading north. I’ve heard […]
I arrive at the Fiberglass RV Rally in Quartzsite, AZ on Wednesday the 10th. It would probably be more accurate to call this a molded fiberglass rally, because that’s the kind of trailers that are here. For those not in the know, most molded fiberglass RVs are made with a top and a bottom half, […]
Back in November when I was working at Amazon, I placed an order for the solar equipment, propane heater (I don’t have a furnace), and other odds and ends needed for boondock this winter. I wrote quite a bit about it all when it arrived but I couldn’t give a review of how well things worked […]
Let’s rewind time a little. In the last episode on the ongoing saga of my broken fridge, I opted to drive out to Arizona to attend the RTR and Xscapers convergence rather than wait in Texas to get the replacement done at the Casita factory. I’ve not regretted my decision, but it’s now been over […]
I summoned the willpower to secluded myself from the Xscapers festivities last week long enough to work out my 2015 cost of living and income numbers. Here they are, conveniently tacked on to the chart I’ve used for previous years for ease of comparison. As always, let me stress that these numbers will be different […]
January 21, Thursday Field trip! So, one of our number at the Xscapers convergence here at Dome Rock just outside of Quartzsite is a bonafide tour guide. He works 6 months on, 6 months off and is currently theoretically off, but I guess when out taking a walk he happened upon a fellow who is […]
Live Deliberately, and Go RVing
About This Site:
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love. I write for those who want to go full-time RVing pre-retirement, and for anyone who dares to dream of a more fulfilling life.
Liking what you see?
Or, if online shopping isn't your thing, you can now donate using Paypal (no account required, just a valid credit or debit card)
- Going On A Trip (Game) August 6, 2015
- Leaks and Delays December 30, 2015
- What About Retirement? May 1, 2015
- Upheaval April 26, 2016
- Boondocking Answers May 24, 2016
- Full-time RVing Won’t Change Who You Are December 10, 2014
- Heat and Battery Woes October 12, 2015
- Age and Beauty (and Wisdom) February 21, 2014
- Mono Lake and an Announcement June 23, 2016
- Convict Lake June 20, 2016
- June Lake Loop June 16, 2016
- Mammoth Lakes Campgrounds June 13, 2016
- Rock Creek Canyon June 10, 2016
- Comparing Work Options for RVers June 7, 2016
- Crowley Lake and McGee Campgrounds June 3, 2016
- Whitney Portal Road Campgrounds May 31, 2016
- Becky: My truck is insured through Geico and isn't reall...
- Mike M: What about auto insurance? Are your vehicles/belon...
- Becky: Will do, thanks....
- Becky: Heya Deb and Greg! I really enjoyed volunteerin...
- Norm H.: Sorry to hear that yet another fire has started, b...
- Debbie: Hi Becky, Wondering how it went for you at Ordw...
- Becky: Hello Larry, Welcome to IO and I'm glad you'r...
- Becky: Thanks Sylvia, I hope your son gets a lot of use o...