For Love of the Challenge (Happy Birthday IO)

Another photo from Carlsbad Caverns National Park

Okay, I think I found a better way to explain it.

Some people had trouble understanding my meaning when I mentioned in an earlier post that my decision to downsize to a teardrop was an emotional one as well as one of logic, stating that logic should always prevail when making a big decision and surprised that I would hint otherwise when usually I’m on here preaching about properly researching full-timing before taking the plunge. Heck, I wrote a book on a logical approach to full-time RVing! I’ve had to delete comments from this blog and e-mails from people who told me that I was making a horrible mistake, teardrops aren’t for full-timing, that I shouldn’t sell the Casita, etc. etc. So lets try this again.

Anyone who’s been following IO for a while knows I am a planner, that I think things through and that I’m not prone to flights of fancy. Yes, living in a teardrop will present a lot of challenges and hardships that most people would not want to face. It won’t be fun not having access to my full kitchen in bad weather. It will get annoying not being able to stand up inside. I know this.

And that’s the appeal to me. I love pushing my personal boundaries on what is possible. I wanted a teardrop because it’ll be cheaper on gas, because I’ll still have home separate from vehicle, because I’ll be able to get to more remote boondocking sites, and because maintenance will be easier. But also because I’ll get intense satisfaction from seeing if I can do it. And that drive to test what I’m capable of, that’s not really a logical thing. It’s an emotional thing. Certainly a good chunk of the population doesn’t have it, but I suspect all full-time RVers do to at least some degree. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess I have it to a greater degree than most.

Six years ago today, I launched IO not knowing for sure that quitting my job and going full-timing in a Casita was going to work or not. I did what research I could (there was less info available back then – part of the reason I decided to blog my process was to help others in my situation), but there was most definitely an emotional leap of faith required. There are negatives to full-timing in a Casita. I felt a strong need to try, and so I did.

I can’t say why this particular challenge – teardrop living – was the right one for this time in my life, as I mentioned in that earlier post. Why do some people feel so driven to dream big, to keep striving to accomplish new goals, when others settle for what they have? I don’t know. This is just who I am. I feel a strong need to try, and so I will.

Maybe this is who you are too. And so I spent yesterday trying very hard to get these words on paper, to make it all make sense. To help the other people like me who just can’t settle for what the rest of the world (whether the regular world or the RVing world) finds proper and safe and rational.

At some point in the past six years, picking a Casita to full-time in became rather normal. I know a lot of people now who full-time in one. It wasn’t always like that.

I have to wonder if some of the resistance I’m getting to the teardrop decision is because it’s rare to find people living in them. Fear of the unknown and all that. If I’d decided to downsize to a van, would more people understand, as ‘hashtag vanlife’ is becoming popular among millennials? But think on this: the first people who started living out of vans got a lot of ridicule I bet, before enough pioneers felt driven to try it and paved the way for the rest. Today it no longer seems ridiculous for people to go full-time RVing in a Casita partly because six years ago, people like me took that chance.

Perhaps I’m paving the way for a new movement. #teardroplife.

So trust me readers. I may not have every single detail worked out (you never will when you take on a challenge like full-timing!), but I do know my own heart and I know, I just know, that this is what I need to do right now. Really, compared to the initial challenge of going from apartment living with a career to full-time RVing as a work-camper, this will be small-time (pun very much intended).

In any event, I’m very much looking forward to sharing this adventure with you all, and I hope this clears up any lingering confusion.

Related link:

• Don’t Listen to Naysayers – Insight into why some people feel the need to criticize other’s dreams and aspirations, and what you can do if it happens to you. In the context of this article, today’s post is my attempt to further educate those who are worried on my behalf that teardropping won’t work out for me by explaining my motivations and pointing out that I did, indeed, give this idea a lot of thought (paragraph three).

Companion video:

Up next: The details of my teardrop build, and an explanation of how Patreon works!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , , , ,

64 Responses to For Love of the Challenge (Happy Birthday IO)

1. Jeff November 14, 2017 at 4:05 pm #

I really like the idea of a Teardrop towable, even looked a plans to build one – once. But in the end decided against it and went with a towable ‘tent trailer’, which turned out to be a most excellent camping trailer. The RV we have now is perfect for traveling, but lacks the ‘camping’ experience. But doubt that I could full-time in any of those units – so looking forward to your experiences!

• Becky November 15, 2017 at 9:01 am #

Those things are pretty cool Jeff! I totally hear you on the RVing vs. camping thing.

2. Page November 14, 2017 at 4:22 pm #

We have bandied about the idea of downsizing from our Airstream to a truck camper. I am almost ready.
    I will enjoy following you as you transition.

3. Emily November 14, 2017 at 4:26 pm #

You never know if you will like or dislike something until you have given yourself an opportunity to try it. Will be reading along with your adventures to see how this works out for you.

4. Gary November 14, 2017 at 4:33 pm #

I totally understand where you are coming from on this matter. It is most important to be true to yourself and you are doing just that. We travel about half time in a Class B van RV and its perfect for us. I commend you for your choice and look forward to seeing you on the road again someday!

5. Lynn November 14, 2017 at 4:33 pm #

On a similar note, I traveled the world solo 15 years ago when less women were doing it and even today when I say that I don’t want to travel by plane anywhere anymore, the response is still ‘Oh, you just need a travel partner.”

I didn’t then and I don ‘t now but people either project their own fears or they are jealous of your ability to truly live your own life. Other people’s 2cents is worth exactly that. It is your life to live as you please.

• Becky November 15, 2017 at 8:59 am #

Well put Lynn.

6. John November 14, 2017 at 4:50 pm #

Do what makes you happy, including taking on an unpopular challenge. Compared to living from a backpack for six months, a teardrop would be luxury. It’s all what you use for comparison. I enjoy reading your blog and look forward to the new adventures.

7. Tina November 14, 2017 at 4:57 pm #

Good or bad, it’s YOUR decision. Just like going FT at such a young age. Take that leap and soar 🙂

Her is another lady that lived and traveled in a teardrop and loved it. https://theblondecoyote.com/

All the best,

Tina

8. Peggy S November 14, 2017 at 5:01 pm #

I am in my 2nd year of traveling in a teardrop trailer. I travel 9 months & return to Wisconsin from May to mid-Sept. It is definitely a challenge especially when the weather doesn’t cooperate.

9. Paul Karl November 14, 2017 at 5:05 pm #

I work in an Army Corp park ans quite often see full time campers in tear drops. Actually had one come thru that had a snap on room at the back which allowed for a sitting area w/full access to the kitchen. Enjoy your new adventure.

10. Mary November 14, 2017 at 5:15 pm #

My 1st full timing adventure was on a bicycle for a couple of months. Most of the time, we slept under the stars and only had a tarp for shelter. A teardrop is the lap of luxury compared to that. Would I do that now at 63? No, but I’m really glad I did at 18.

Will you miss your Casita? Perhaps, in time. Perhaps not as you can shape your adventure differently. It is certainly doable so go for it. If you later decide you don’t want to, well there are lots of options to move on to. Nothing is set in stone. Being adaptable and sensibly adventurous are terrific traits to have and shud hold you in good form. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Naysayers are really saying you shouldn’t because I wouldn’t. But you are not them and they are not you.

11. Janice W November 14, 2017 at 5:18 pm #

I just watched your YouTube video, thank you for taking the time to read that and share your feelings.

Enjoying your blog (vlog) is to enjoy your life and how you’re living it….not judge your decisions.

I’m excited to see how this works for you…for however long you choose to do it. Then I’ll be just as excited about your next choice; should there be one.

Keep living and sharing. You’re awesome.

Janice

12. greg November 14, 2017 at 5:22 pm #

It always amazes me how many people are ready to jump up in our faces and tell us how we should live our lives. I guess it’s because there are so few people willing to take the risk of living their own life rather than the life society thinks we should be living, the mainstream crowd feel entitled to ‘guide’ us back to the herd.

13. Bobby November 14, 2017 at 5:23 pm #

Don’t worry about others. I have Shasta 1500. It is 13 footer camper. I used to haul it to hunting area for few years. I find that it is nice to have it. But for full time rv, it can be. When I was doing Trans America Trail last year without my camper trailer. I sleep in tent for weight reasons in my Suburban Z71. So far as I see while the trails I was on. It is not really good for luxury camper trailer. Most are smooth dirt roads but not always and I have seen many potholes and tracks type. Let say I tow my 13 ft Shasta to hunting. Hunting campground is about 10 miles long of dirt road. There is bumps and potholes and tracks type along the road. I have gears inside the camper. When I reach campground and everything fall down. I have to put up back in places. That is a lot of work when you went off road to camp. You know there is lot of free campsites usually are off roads. You won’t find free campsites besides the paved roadside because it’s too dangerous-drunk driving, speeders, distracted drivers, police harassment, noises, crime seekers and list going. Many haul large campers usually stay on paved and paid campgrounds to park.
    Right now I’m building teardrop on original Shasta 1500 trailer, the reason I do this because I wanted to camping further in the national forest to explore and BLM too. I find that teardrop can do many things that large campers don’t. Teardrop can add foxwings awnings to cover more room and add walls for privacy like bathroom and shower or living room. Many overlanders have use teardrop or military type trailers with RTT( roof top tent). Becky can do what she interesting to camp with and can blog the story about camping with casita or teardrop or 30 footers but she chooses wisely with the budget on travels cost. Yes Becky is right about gas mileage and costs. If you could afford $100 on fuel for 350 miles range while towing. I believe some don’t driven on full tank from campsite to campsite. I hoped some of you understand the situation on campers sizes and areas where you are going to.

Take care Bobby

14. Barney Ward November 14, 2017 at 5:29 pm #

Hi Becky,
    I am of the mind if you do not try out a teardrop it would be a major mistake. When I started my ten year journey to full timing 21 years ago, I gave teardrops a very long and hard look before deciding NO for me. It turned out that Comfort Castle has been an excellent fit for this fellow at 61 years old when he started the full time life. Never let the naysayers get in your way, ESPECIALLY if they have never done it before. I am excited for you.

15. Thom Hoch November 14, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

I get it. It’s a little like climbing a mountain or rappelling down a cliff face for the first time. Push yourself, experience life. I think your approach to this lifestyle is refreshing. And what’s the worst that can happen? If you find you can’t deal with some unforeseen aspect, you’ll adjust and go after it another way. Good for you.
    Thom Hoch recently posted..New Theme for an Old BlogMy Profile

16. Teri Live Oak FL November 14, 2017 at 6:01 pm #

The fact that you want to try this is a good enough reason to do it. It sort of reminds me of the family guy who wants a little jeep. Drives it in the mud and water breaking parts and has to drive it to work on Mon. Totally impractical but he loves how it makes him or her feel. Go for it. ( Get use to those naysayers. They are like a virus on YouTube. Ugh!)

17. park November 14, 2017 at 6:09 pm #

Becky….I’ve owned many RV’s over the years to include a teardrop. I enjoyed it very much for many of the reasons you listed in your previous post. I personally wouldn’t want to fulltime in one but to each his own. Here’s the beauty of it. If it doesn’t agree with you, you can always sell it and move on to something else. I’ve sold many different types over the years and always seem to enjoy whatever rig I’m using. I look forward to reading your thoughts on full timing in the teardrop and wish you all the best.

18. Bob November 14, 2017 at 7:34 pm #

Becky….I personally think it is great that you are going to a Teardrop. I personally, down sized from a 26 ft travel trailer to a Casita. A lot of challenging in becoming a minimalist but once one gets there it is pretty easy and less stressful.

I know a park ranger that has lived in a Teardrop for four years and loves it. She mentioned that there are challenges but but doing this life on a full time basis will always be challenges.

I think what you are doing is just great and just forge on. See you at Quartsite.

Good luck with all

19. Jodee Gravel November 14, 2017 at 7:41 pm #

I’m amazed that people (even well-intentioned ones) would rain on your parade. There was no doubt in my mind (I’ve been reading you a long time) that you had done your research and planned accordingly. Geeeez peeps 🙁

You’re going to have such fun going places you can’t go now!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..What We Miss Most As FulltimersMy Profile

20. Dave November 14, 2017 at 9:43 pm #

I really enjoy the sense of well being emitted from a thoughtfully designed cozy space. Any resistance to the idea will likely serve as further motivation to overcome challenges and happily enjoy a new adventure.

21. Heather November 14, 2017 at 10:01 pm #

I sure understand Becki! Having lived in a Class A, a 17 foot Aloha, a 21 ft Travel Trailer & a sticks & bricks, if there’s one thing I have learned, it’s that the smaller the space, the better I live out loud. Let me give a couple of musings, as I want a Teardrop as well – I will be forced to 1) eat better – without storage/freezer, am much more apt to buy only what I need & eat far more whole fruits & beg ( no place for ice cream) 2) Only having a place to sleep, I won’t be prone to sit around all day in the comfort of a larger rig. I WILL hike/bike/interact with others ( introvert here). Those are just a couple of examples, but really get the why of your choice. Wishing you the very best!

22. Paula Frazee November 14, 2017 at 11:40 pm #

As a long time camper and backpacker I understand completely. Our friends who “camp” in large RV’s or trailers end up spending way less time outdoors than we do, because we cook and “live” outside. Although, we have an old conversion van that we built a frame for a queen size air mattress that we sleep on. Not very different at all from a teardrop, because it is just a bed – no kitchen, no real bathroom (we have the bucket/toilet seat & lid/trash bag, kitty litter system for emergencies) – so we spend almost all of out waking moments outside. We are perfectly happy that way, and I ‘m pretty sure you will, too.

23. Joy sutton November 15, 2017 at 4:23 am #

I Understand now but fifty years ago I wouldn’t have. There are different seasons of life. I couldn’t live now without bathroom either. I was given opportunity n 1962 of raising my family in a shack at the back of beyond. I was horrified at the thought of lack of public education opportunities etc. oh if we could do life over. I did vacation in tents without a blink though and now find class c to be a wonderful lifestyle. Note with bathroom. I could handle it without except for disposal. Wish I had your thought at your age. Life would have been so much simpler and satisfying.

24. Candace H. November 15, 2017 at 5:58 am #

I am young, I am fit, I WANT TO DO THIS. enough said. I think you rock for going for what you want.

25. Kent November 15, 2017 at 6:02 am #

There is a video ad running on YouTube where at the beginning it is said that just two statements come with no agenda. “Congratulations” and “Good Luck”. Everything else is “Opinion”. I heartily agree with the spirit of that. I also realize that, “Opinions are like (Bleep) everybody has one”… Including me.
    For me anyway I will say that if I become overly affected by others opinions the problem isn’t the opinion it’s more about what going on inside of me and my own fears and insecurity. I’ll add to that that many “opinions” are in many ways driven by the fears and insecurity of the opinionated…Those opinions project that and are little more than ego feeders. (I speak from my own experience and self observation…. I ain’t pointing fingers.)
    I have realized that I have a full-time job managing my own life with no time available to try and manage anyone else…Man-o-man, that was a freeing realization!

So with that said?
    Congratulations on your decision!
    Good Luck in adapting and getting it all figured out!.

Becky, you have more spunk and energy than I do at my age.. For me anyway it’s just fun to read about all that spunk; energy and perspective. I thank you very much for that.

26. Rhonda November 15, 2017 at 6:28 am #

Some of the concerns others (“naysayers”) have expressed probably were not meant to be critical. As the responses pour in from this post I hear a resounding unity in readers looking forward to exciting new adventures for you, Becky, with your sweet little teardrop. People who reach for the stars to pull out the zest for life are greatly admired as being trailblazers. You *are* a trailblazer! Rejoice and thrive, for life is way too short to do otherwise! I can’t wait to read all about your travels ahead…:-)

27. Shelly Nowik, Durham, NC November 15, 2017 at 6:32 am #

I am from the camp that does not think it is a good decision but it is your decision to make not mine. I hope you love it and prove us naysayers wrong. My guess is that you will have to chasing after good weather a lot more frequently.

28. Terri November 15, 2017 at 6:34 am #

You know what? If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out, but then you will KNOW. Better to know than to have always wondered about something. And you’ve always felt like the way you live is more like “camping” anyway. You will figure out the challenges and the best way to work with them and endure. And just think of the amazing hikes you will get to do, parking in places that otherwise Cas wouldn’t be able to make it to!!
    Terri recently posted..Determining wants and needs through my tiny house/living fascinationMy Profile

29. Suzanne November 15, 2017 at 6:49 am #

Just plain happy and excited for you!☺

30. Mary November 15, 2017 at 7:04 am #

Hi Becky,
    You don’t have to explain yourself to anyone. I look forward to seeing how the teardrop works out. I will live vicariously through your experience lol. Seriously though, you have to dream big and follow that dream. When one limits themselves to what others think is best, they do themselves a big disservice. I am discovering this myself. Rock on, Becky!

31. Jeannine November 15, 2017 at 7:31 am #

Awesome, Becky! Go for it. Love your attitude. Life is to be EXPERIENCED, not feared.

32. Jim D. November 15, 2017 at 7:45 am #

Here’s my two cents about all this.

The one thing most people don’t know about you and I also suspect you may not realize about most people is that you have a certain ability. And that ability is to figure out what you want and be able to predict ahead of time whether that was a good choice for you or not. Anyone who criticizes or questions you on this new RV doesn’t realize how good you are at analyzing who you are as a person.

For myself, I am not that good. I struggle with trying to make big decisions that once made are difficult to pull back. You don’t seem to be like that. And it’s not that you don’t have to work long and hard at thinking about stuff. The point is you can do it in a way most can’t. Sure, we all have a rough idea of what we want and what would and would not work for us. But most people to one degree or another behave and think in herds and are otherwise conditioned to the norms of society. Which brings me to another observation about you.

You are extremely independent. You make aloof cats look vulnerable and needy. 🙂 Regardless of what anyone thinks, you have no issue charting your own course. Sure, you like to be understood. But if you’re not understood, that has no bearing on what you choose. And that is very powerful thing. I’m envious of that.

So between being really good at analyzing yourself and being good at being independent, I’m 100% sure you are doing the right thing. Now I wouldn’t do this myself. I’d want something a little bigger than Cas. But that’s me. And even if what you are buying was actually a really good choice for me too, I would never know it. Because I am not as good at thinking stuff like this through like you are. I would thus deem it to big of a chance to take and also be more influenced by other people’s opinions which would would be very skeptical.

Besides, if it doesn’t work out, you’ll sell the teardrop and get something else. However, that’s not likely. You will love it for all the reasons you’ve analyzed. And someday when some other RV catches your eye, you’ll surprise everyone on IO with buying a motor home or a tent or a plane or whatever suits you at that time.

That’s my two cents.

Your trail will always be a happy one and it’s great fun following along with your blog!

-Jim

33. wildflower in prescott November 15, 2017 at 7:55 am #

Becky, I have been reading IO for several years because of your solid reasoning and decision-making. Now that I cannot send $ your way from my Amazon purchases, I eagerly await the reveal of your Patreon acct.

Oh..Happy Birthday IO!

• Becky November 15, 2017 at 9:18 am #

Thanks Wildflower!

34. Martha Goudey November 15, 2017 at 8:02 am #

We are all entitled to our opinion. I am just not sure why people feel entitled to express their opinions, especially if it needs deleting! And isn’t it interesting how people get so invested in making sure others are doing it just right! (According to their world-view).

When we sold our home (mine of 24 years) and downsized to full-time in a Casita, we got surprisingly little resistance. But as we visit family and friends, a common comment is, “how are you doing this?” Not critical…just awe. There are actually days I wonder the same thing. But we had to try.

Casita is as small as I will go for two people (I need a bathroom) but we have met so many people doing so many different things in a variety of rigs..or none. We met a woman from U.K. who has been traveling last two years full-time without a car or van (India, Thailand, Bali, US, etc) catching rides, staying in hostels. Traveling with a truck and teardrop would be luxury for her (or maybe a hindrance). Perspective!

When I was in my late 20s, I traveled by myself for nearly a year in a vw van. I need more comfort now at 71. And isn’t that the point. It is all relative depending upon your needs and desires at the time. I know people with bigger rigs live in more comfort than I do, which I sometimes miss, but they are missing things we have, like flexibility, less things to go wrong, lower $ for gas (I 🤔) less stuff.

Anyway, all this to say, I admire your sense of adventure. To each her own! You have inspired us and taught us a lot over the past year. Thank you.
    Martha Goudey recently posted..In memoriam – Herb BlisardMy Profile

35. Anne S November 15, 2017 at 8:04 am #

Oh Becky, I wish I could give you a big hug. What you do takes so much courage — not just the full timing part, or the teardrop leap, but your willingness to expose your private decision process to all of us. I’m sure some negative commenters were genuinely concerned for you, but others are projecting their own fears, or just get a charge from being negative. But your discussion of your thought process — well reasoned with a healthy dose of gut instinct — is so valuable for us to hear. So I’m grateful you don’t pull back and quit sharing.
    Only you know what will work for you, will make you feel challenged and strong. You are one amazing individual, and I love seeing where this is going. Hooray!

36. Sara November 15, 2017 at 8:06 am #

Follow your dream. You’ll never know what is possible unless you try. DREAM BIG!!!

37. Telnet November 15, 2017 at 8:38 am #

I’m also the kind that enjoys “figuring it out”. Years ago I got into long distance cycling even though I couldn’t ride for 2 miles without running out of breath and energy. But I loved the challenge. Loved to explore and figure it out. Took me a while then I was able to ride 100+ mile rides without any issues and really enjoy it. Then I got into backpacking, even though I never slept in a tent. Yeah that has been sweet. For the past few years I took it further and backpack for weeklong outings and truly enjoy it. A lot of people don’t get it. It is not the activity but more about the challenge of figuring it out. Plus nice to enjoy being outside. So yeah I get what you are saying. Good for you. Looking forward to see how you figure it out. I enjoy your blog.

38. Becky November 15, 2017 at 9:30 am #

I woke up to 36(!) comments on this post, wow! I won’t be responding to them all individually, but I did read every single one. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and well-wishes, I’m definitely feeling the love this morning. 🙂

There wasn’t a single mean-spirited comment this time, so I feel like I accomplished my goal of making my motivations understood. Either that or those people have all moved on from my blog which is perfectly fine by me!

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

39. Emily Fagan November 15, 2017 at 11:08 am #

Hi Becky — What a fantastic new adventure for you. You’re following your heart and you know your dreams and needs, and I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time in your teardrop.

We met a fellow in Sturgis, SD, over the summer who has been living in a truly tiny (skinny) teardrop trailer — towed by a motorcycle! — for nine years. He loves it and wouldn’t live any other way.

I’m looking forward to this thrilling new chapter of IO!!

• Becky November 16, 2017 at 2:44 pm #

Heya Emily, good to hear from you!

I have a friend who’s been full-timing with a Harley motorcycle and teardrop for as long as I’ve been on the road…. and she does it with a dog and chicken! A very interesting person to talk to.

40. Elisa November 15, 2017 at 11:20 am #

Love following you, Becky. Only you can decide if the Teardrop was a good decision or not. If it was – GREAT! If not – nothing is forever. Looking forward to more of your pictures and adventures. I hope your realize how many of us live vicariously through you!

41. Holly November 15, 2017 at 11:42 am #

I think it is exciting you are going to a teardrop, I think those are so cool and open up so many more options when boondocking. I have a question for you though as I am wondering how you will handle this since you boondock in remote locations at times. What will you do for a bathroom since some locations you camp at don’t have facilities? That is a big drawback on the teardrops for me personally as I love having my own bathroom and I would love to hear how you are planning for this. If you answered this already sorry I must have missed it.

• Becky November 16, 2017 at 2:46 pm #

Porta potty! Can empty in dump stations, in vault or residential toilets, or if the location allows it (developed campgrounds don’t but in most dispersed boondocking areas it’s allowed), dig a cat hole and bury.

• Holly November 16, 2017 at 8:28 pm #

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it and I enjoy following along on your adventures.

42. Adrienne November 15, 2017 at 1:31 pm #

I get it! I’m a rockhound and want to get as far off the roads as possible. You go girl!

43. Jose November 15, 2017 at 1:32 pm #

Hello Becky, i have a teardrop trailer and i love it. i don’t live in it full time, but it can be done. i do like to see how it would be to live in a trailer where i can stand up, and have a bathroom in it, but i think about how easy it is for me to park my trailer in my own garage and not have to pay for storage. i can fit just about any place i go camping now, and its so easy to get up and go whenever i want. i can’t wait to see what happens in your next chapter with your new trailer.

44. Diane Ely November 15, 2017 at 1:53 pm #

Becky:
    For several years now Jaclyn Heyen has been full-timing in a teardrop, pulled by a Harley – not sure if you’re familiar with her.

• Becky November 16, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

Yep we’re friends!

45. Norm H. November 15, 2017 at 3:40 pm #

So, I’m late at offering my 2-cents, but just gotta say, “You go young lady!” First of all, you don’t answer to any of us as readers. You’ve given us a gift just by sharing your life and thoughts with us. Second, you’ve proven you can do what you set your mind to do. There is no reason living in a teardrop can’t work, if you want it to. For my 64 year-old bones it wouldn’t work, but at 30 a backpack and pup tent worked just fine for a time. So go for it. I’ll be relieving my younger years vicariously as I enjoy your journey. Thanks for having the courage to share with all of us.

46. Rose Marie Moran November 15, 2017 at 5:41 pm #

I’m a Dreamer, 81, with no money….but I love to read all about Rving…..was reading Facebook…’Traveling Solo RV & Camper’. One woman, Rhonda Graham, said she has ordered a Hiker Trailer while a Harry Burlingame said he has one. Will be interesting to read all about these Teardrops. Enjoy all your stories.

47. Keith Hampton November 15, 2017 at 5:59 pm #

Hi Becky: thanks for sharing your decision with us. I’m completely inspired by your choice and am,as result, giving thought to a teardrop myself. The point is to live outside as much a possible, right? I think the trailer you are looking at is a great choice for all the reasons you laid out. I truly believe this is a great move for you.

• Becky November 16, 2017 at 2:48 pm #

Yep, you live out of a teardrop, not in one. 🙂

48. Darren November 15, 2017 at 9:39 pm #

Hey Becky, I’m a little late also but wanted to wish IO a Happy Birthday and just say I am looking forward to sharing your adventure into a teardrop life. We all make decisions or have changes in our life that effect us financially, emotional, spiritually or physically. The brave one’s that step outside normal thinking and accept challenges with strength and desire are the best people in the world! I envy you in the aspect that you are young and able to try this change. I think that is part of the problem with some people out there, they know that could not do it so,,, it’s not acceptable to them. I know I could not do it but I would give you all my best thought’s and wishes to see you succeed in this great adventure. The carousal ring is there,,,, reach out and grab it!

49. Keith November 16, 2017 at 6:33 am #

If only there were a place to stand up outside of your Casita,,, that would be great! But where? Where could you stand up that isn’t your camper? Hmmmm? If I ever find an answer to that question, I’ll get back to you.
    In the meantime, You may not be familiar with “the blond coyote” blog. If not, check it out, when you have time. An amazing account of living full time in a teardrop. Beautiful photography, beautiful stories,,, a beautiful life.
    I have a teardrop that I take trips in. It is so much fun. I’ll be keeping an eye on your progress in downsizing.
    Travel safe.
    P.S. No need to reply. I’m sure you’re pretty busy leading an amazing life!

50. Becky November 16, 2017 at 2:50 pm #

Thanks again everyone, hope you’re having a good Thursday. I’m hard at work on tomorrow’s blog post, which is going to be longer than I thought it was because there are just so many options to choose from on a Hiker Trailer, haha.

51. Evelyn Breutzmann November 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

Only you can know what is best for you. So many people are quick to judge, and let fear dominate their decision. Good for you for following your heart. You’ll be just fine. And, if you don’t like it, you can always make another change. Live life the way you want to!! Best wishes for many more happy years of adventure for you!

52. Furry Gnome November 16, 2017 at 7:43 pm #

I was shocked when I read that first sentence – “logic should always prevail when making a big decision”! I’d say very few big decisions get made without a personal willingness to make the leap and see if it works. Hopefully logic was part of it too, but without the emotional commitment there’d be very few adventures in this life indeed. I know, some people (most people?) are satisfied with things the way they are, but some us want a adventurous life even if there are failures along the way! Go for it Becky!
    Furry Gnome recently posted..Slow FlightsMy Profile

53. Ethan November 16, 2017 at 10:15 pm #

I’m really surprised that you had to defend your decision against some mean spirited comments. Oh well, I’m glad that you deleted them, because I for sure don’t want to know what they said.

Congrats, and hope all is well.

I think your next challenge should be full time RV in just a SUV. 😛

54. Ursula November 17, 2017 at 10:53 am #

Hi Becky! I was sad to read that people have been skeptical of your teardrop plans and sending you discouraging messages. In the past 30 years I have made several life changes, and after considering the pros and cons, I have, in the end, always payed attention to the emotional aspects and followed my heart. It hasn’t led me wrong yet! You do know if you are making the right decision. It sounds like an exciting new chapter in your life on the road. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Ursula recently posted..Headed for the Hills!!My Profile

55. Becky November 17, 2017 at 11:07 am #

Thanks guys. New blog post is now up!

56. Mike November 17, 2017 at 7:14 pm #

Rock on Becky. I do not understand some people.

A number of years ago, about 15 family members and I took a trip from Portland, OR to Durham NC to visit family. I had never been. I was interested in seeing New York City as we were so close. I offered to pay and could not get anyone to go with me. They all said I would probably be mugged, knifed, or worse, and they advised me not to go.

I went anyway and had a great time.

Keep pushing those limits Becky.

–Mike