Kaizen (Two Big Announcements!)

Dreams are not static, just as we as people are not static. Our needs and desires change as we are introduced to new ideas and grow. This is a concept I’ve been over before on the blog and discuss in detail in my book ‘The Little Guide to Dreaming Big’.

To me, it was a kind of death to stay locked in a traditional employment situation, knowing I’d be stuck working 40 hours a week until retirement. I knew in the depth of my heart that I wasn’t meant for that kind of environment, and moving from Wisconsin to the coast of South Carolina worked for a while, but it was only a temporary measure.

Full-time RVing is a much better fit. It meets my intense desire for novelty and for more personal time to pursue my interests. But still, dreams evolve.

Oh? What have we here? The answer to what I was up to on October 24th perhaps?

In high school, I took Japanese to meet my foreign language requirement. Primarily I chose it because I was big into manga, anime, and video games, being the geek that I am. But while studying Japanese culture, I learned of a word that I still remember years later: kaizen.

Kaizen means ‘continual improvement’. Originally, the word was applied to business activities and processes. It was first practiced after the second world war, and has since been utilized in healthcare, government, life-coaching, and other industries around the world.

We should be thankful for what we have, every single day. We should appreciate where we are, and accept that life is lived in the now, and not in the future. But we should also stay hungry. I love this wonderful nomadic life I’ve built for myself. But it could always be better.

On Tuesday, October 24th I ordered my new rig! A change I’d mentioned was coming about two months ago. There was much speculation about what kind of RV I’d choose, but longtime readers who’ve been following the comments on my posts for years know that I’ve been dropping hints about teardrops since summer of 2014, and I even toured a teardrop factory in spring of 2015 and mentioned an interest in going smaller.

The photo in this post is of Hiker Trailer West, located in Denver, CO. When I showed up for my tour at 10:30 am last Tuesday, I was already 95% sure this is what I wanted, but the tour really cinched it for me. I placed my order at the end of the tour.

It won’t be ready until September. Yes, you read that right. I won’t be getting my new little home for over 10 more months. So yes, I’ll be selling Cas at some point, but not immediately. When I’m ready to sell, I’ll announce it here on the blog first, to give you readers first dibs. In the meantime, I’ll be continuing to travel in Cas as usual.

Change is a scary thing, even when it’s happening to someone else, and despite this being a joyous decision and something I’m very happy about, I expect to hear some resistance. For those who wonder why a tiny trailer, and why Hiker Trailer in specific, I’ll be writing more about that soon. For those who think I made a mistake by choosing what I did, let me remind you that we are all different and just because you wouldn’t be happy in a teardrop, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be. For those who are thinking about a Casita and are now worried that because I’m getting out of mine means you won’t be happy in yours: don’t be. Casitas are still great little trailers. I’ve loved my time in mine, and I still feel five years later that I made the best decision for my wants and needs at the time when I chose one – I have no regrets. It’s just that my wants and needs are changing, and so my home is changing too.

In the meantime, if you’re in the RV market yourself and hoping, desperately, that you don’t make the wrong choice for your wants and needs here are some resources to help:

Announcement two, a more recent development. Visitors to the blog will notice that all of the Amazon affiliate links are gone (well, they’re not gone off all the older posts yet, but I’m working on it).

My affiliate account was terminated yesterday (the 30th) by Amazon. If you have my link bookmarked in your web browser, or click through it in any of the IO e-mails or old posts, it’ll still take you to the Amazon site where you can shop. But I no longer get credit for anything you buy through the links, so you might as well stop using them.

It was terminated due to changes in the rules about what you can and cannot do as part of the program. I was violating these rules by using generic links to the homepage instead of specific products, implying that using the link supported this site, and having the link send out in the IO mailing list e-mails.

Having done some research, I’ve discovered that I could probably get IO approved for the program again. But it would take months of jumping through hoops (no chance of making the holiday rush), I’d have to sign up for a new account which would mean switching all my links over to a new one, and the new rules mean that in order to make any money I’d have to advertise products I’ve never used myself, or plaster IO with banners. Being a budget traveler and something of a minimalist, I can’t in good conscious promote consumerism for the sake of consumerism (experiences are more important than stuff!) nor would I feel right using my influence to peddle things that I’ve never tried or worse, have tried and don’t love. So no, I will not be re-applying for the program at this time.

I’d recommend finding another blogger/creator to support by using their Amazon link so that someone still gets credit for your purchases, but it’s looking like Amazon is going to be cracking down on people who use the program like this (which is how most RV bloggers use it) so I’m really not sure what to say. If you’re a blogger who is in the program, read over the Operating Agreement as soon as you can and if you’re not in compliance, make the necessary changes if you want to keep your account!

So, change. Sometimes we choose it, and sometimes it is forced upon us. Thank you everyone who has supported IO through the years by using my Amazon link! If you’d like to continue to help at absolutely no cost, you can follow IO on Facebook, Instagram, and/or YouTube; comment on posts and videos (both which help with search engine ratings); and share IO with people whom you feel would find it helpful. For those who wish to show monetary support, the PayPal donate button is still at the right-hand side of the website where it’s always been, and to fill in the gap left by Amazon, I’m going to be launching a Patreon page.

If you don’t know what Patreon is, more about that will be coming up but rest assured, the blog will continue to update regularly and you will not need to pay to access it. This will just be another way for those who want to show their appreciation for what I do here on IO by monetary means to do so, completely optional, and get a couple extra perks in the process.

Phew, what a week! Safe travels and happy trails everyone. I’m looking forward to sharing more about my new trailer (including a bunch more pictures) coming up soon! Onwards and upwards.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

93 Responses to Kaizen (Two Big Announcements!)

1. pam scola October 31, 2017 at 3:58 pm #

Congratulations!!

PS Rather odd seeing the entry door on the street side. Am I missing something?

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 4:33 pm #

Thanks!

Default door location is curb-side. But many couples choose the option of a second door on the street side so one doesn’t have to crawl over the other to get out.

2. Tina October 31, 2017 at 4:39 pm #

I’m so happy for you Becky!!! I didn’t see that coming and thought you were going with a van. 🙂 Must of missed that previous post about the teardrop tour. Looking forward to your new way of traveling and how this whole process goes for you.

All the best,

Tina

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 7:30 pm #

Thanks Tina! Vans are becoming a big thing for millennials looking to travel on a budget, but I still love the idea of having a vehicle separate from my home.

3. RGupnorth October 31, 2017 at 5:07 pm #

I really expected you were going bigger – I have the Camp Inn 560 Ultra – the Moby 1 has caught my eye though for an off road TD. Have looked into your choice at one time, but ran across mine used and lightly used.

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 7:32 pm #

Most people do choose something larger for their second RV. I guess I’m a rebel, what can I say. 😉

Oh that wrap-around front window in the 560 is amazing, I bet you’ve had a lot of fun with it.

4. marijka October 31, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

CONGRATS on the new trailer! It’ll be Christmas in September. 🙂 I’ve looked at everything from 4wd teardrops to 20′ trailers with dry baths, and have finally made a decision myself. Of course, by the time I’m ready to purchase I’ll probably have to research from scratch. What a project it is trying to make a decision on something this important/expensive! Very excited to see/hear more about it.

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks Marijka! It sure is a challenge researching an RV purchase, but all that effort will pay off when you end up with one that you love.

5. Kim October 31, 2017 at 5:12 pm #

Congratulations! Look forward to seeing your new home!

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 7:37 pm #

Thanks Kim!

6. RGupnorth October 31, 2017 at 5:19 pm #

What size are you going with? Assume 5 x 10 – be interesting to see how your downsizing from Cas to the TD works out 🙂

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 7:37 pm #

I’ll be addressing all this in the next post!

7. Debra October 31, 2017 at 5:41 pm #

Becky, congratulations on your new home! I suspected your Denver visit was related to a new trailer. I have looked at the Hiker online and really like it. I admire your minimalism in downsizing to a small tear drop! Also I really appreciate the way you presented your choice as being what is right for YOU, but each person has to make her own choice as to what is right for her. I think that is so important. I have read other bloggers who state outright or imply that their rig is really the correct one for full timing.

When I decided to go full time I had a 1600 SF home – all to myself! Once I made the decision to downsize I almost couldn’t stand living there – it seemed obscene for one person to have that much space. 😀 I really wanted to go small with a Casita or Rpod size trailer. But when I looked at models that small I just couldn’t visualize myself in them. I ended up with a Nash 17K and have been full time in it for 4 months as of 10/28. (I know, I’m still a noobie!). But I love it! It was the right choice for me at this point in time.

I would really like a smaller trailer but when I look at my Nash there isn’t really anything I would want to give up for a smaller trailer. But who knows, in 5 years maybe I will evolve to the point of being ready to downsize further. As you said, life is a journey.

I can’t wait till September! Looking forward to following along with you in this new chapter.
    Debra recently posted..To Colorado and then New MexicoMy Profile

• Tina October 31, 2017 at 6:02 pm #

Debra, I just checked out your blog and subbed. The Nash does seem to be a good trailer. Sebastian was in a Casita and switched over to a Nash and really enjoyed it. Agree with your comments regarding what will work for each person. And once you are out on the road that can and does seem to change. http://www.simplelivingandsimpletravel.com/2013/05/one-trailer-two-trailers-one-trailer.html

• Debra October 31, 2017 at 7:51 pm #

Thanks Tina! When I was researching the Nash last spring I came across Sebastian’s blog in a google search and have been following him. He sure has gone through some tough times the last few months. Glad he is coming through it.
        Debra recently posted..To Colorado and then New MexicoMy Profile

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 7:50 pm #

Thanks for sharing your story Debra! Yes, it’s a mission of mine to make sure that people make the right choices around full-timing for themselves and not just follow what others (including myself) are doing. Full-timing is such a personal thing! I’m very glad that the Nash is working well for you, I’m friends with a full-timer who has lived in one for years and he’s been happy with it. Congrats on hitting the 4-month mark.

8. Tom October 31, 2017 at 6:24 pm #

Wow, what a big event! I’m at different place in my life, but I also have a 99 Casita (in fact, you sent me instructions on how to replace rivets right after I bought it!). Our youngest went off to college a year ago September and we bought a Runaway! Are you familiar with those? Similar in size to the Hiker, probably more of a budget camper. We love it. Still have the Casita and still use it. But the small camper is just so easy! Also, no V8 pickup truck needed, so LOTS of cost savings. Enjoy your journey. I’ve been following and admiring you since the beginning!

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 7:55 pm #

99 was a good year Tom, haha!

I researched many teardrop brands and Runaway was high on my list. But I really wanted a 5′ wide model, and Runaway doesn’t have one. Price wise, the base 4×8 models for both are very similarly priced, but Hikers do get more expensive, with all the off-road options. I loved the customization of the Hiker. More on all this coming up next post. 🙂 Glad you’re enjoying both your trailers!

9. Thom Hoch October 31, 2017 at 6:47 pm #

Let’s here it for going smaller. We just went from a 40 foot motorhome to a 19 foot van… and we’re loving it. Good for you and we’ll be reading about your change as it happens.

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 7:56 pm #

Wow, a bigger change than I’ll be facing Thom! Congrats and I’m glad you’re enjoying your new van!

10. Renee October 31, 2017 at 7:43 pm #

Are you leaning towards rving part time?

• Becky October 31, 2017 at 8:01 pm #

Nope, still full-timing! Although I’d love to mix in international travel at some point too. As I always tell people when they ask how long I’ll be doing this: I’ll do it until I find something else I want to do more.

11. Reed Martin October 31, 2017 at 8:17 pm #

That’s a pretty drastic downsize! Looks like you’re reducing the height by 50% ish? So that’s mostly airspace and cabinetry space. Then a sizeable reduction in floor plan sq footage. I’m thinking it may be a shock to actually live full time in that much reduction. How about put Cas in storage for several months as a fall back just in case?

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 8:44 pm #

I appreciate your concern Reed. Yes it will be a shock, but I’ve thought this through.

12. Rhonda October 31, 2017 at 8:36 pm #

Whoa! Huge surprise, Becky! I thought for sure you would either downsize to a Scamp 13′ or a van. Very excited for you about the Hiker. My first travel trailer was a T@G (the Hiker looks like a T@G on steroids…hahaha) but I’m a fraidy cat and didn’t feel secure enough in it, so I’m now in a Jayco 14 footer. Like you, I love small spaces. I’m very much looking forward to hearing about the options you are going with…there are some cool YT vids on the Hiker that make it look totally rad. Very nice you are having it made custom for you…congrats and best wishes on the wonderful adventures coming up in your life!

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 8:54 pm #

Thanks Rhonda! T@Gs are adorable and if I’d had more money I would have considered one.

I’m glad the Jayco is working out for you! Thanks for following along and now I’ll have to look at the Hiker Trailer YT channel, haha.

13. Annie October 31, 2017 at 9:00 pm #

How exciting, Becky! I’m impressed you’re going smaller, as my trailer is about the size of a Casita and I’ve toured teardrops and realized I like to stand up inside 🙂 You are right, everyone has different preferences and needs.

That 10 months will fly by. I waited 15 months for my trailer to get built, and then had to drive from Seattle to Quebec to get it. Totally worth it on all counts!

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 8:56 pm #

15 months, yikes! Makes my build not seem so long. Glad you’re enjoying it Annie!

14. Jodee Gravel October 31, 2017 at 9:13 pm #

How exciting!! Waiting so long would be really, really hard!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Returning to Route 66, and Making Peace With GrasshopperMy Profile

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 8:57 pm #

Thanks!

15. Mark Sundstrom November 1, 2017 at 1:58 am #

Congratulations, Becky! I just recently bought a teardrop after enjoying my Casita for the past 6 years; I started following your blog about that time. If you’d told me a year ago that I was going to do this; I would have doubted it. The Casita was my introduction to RVs and I learned a lot and had a great time with it. I’m sure that September will come around sooner than you expect!

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 8:59 pm #

Interesting Mark! So few people decide to go smaller, it’s always nice to hear from others who think the same way.

• Mark Sundstrom November 4, 2017 at 4:20 am #

Becky, I actually went a bit larger, to the Little Guy Max. After 400+ nights in the Casita I learned what I did and didn’t need.

Your followup post on how you chose your new trailer is well done and you’re right; tradeoffs in every choice. My new trailer isn’t perfect but I’m enjoying my first long trip with it right now.

16. Darren November 1, 2017 at 2:42 am #

Wow Becky ! What a change! You are so right about whatever works for some,,, may not work for others. We have been going bigger on our trailers like I said before and it seems to be good for us. If I go any bigger I am going to have to trade in my Tundra for a dually and I’m going to fight my wife against that! LOL ! That is a long estimated time before getting your new trailer, are they that far behind or is it a custom build wait time? Just curious. I am ready to see how the change will be for you. I know that part of the fun in change is the anxiousness and excitement of something new. I’m happy for you!

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:14 pm #

They’re all custom built Darren. It only takes a few weeks to build each trailer, but they’re in demand and have a long backlog right now.

17. Rena McClain November 1, 2017 at 4:28 am #

Yeah for teardrop campers!! I have had mine for 2 years and love it! It is a great lifestyle, a bit different from the Cas but it will have its own charm. As an experienced TD person I offer 2 bits of advice- add an ez up and/or small tent to your travel equipment. Having the added space makes it nice to stay outside when it is hot and out of rain with enough space to move around. Second- check out http://www.tearjerkers.net. It is a great resource to meet other TD people all over the country. And welcome to the TD world Becky!!

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:19 pm #

Thanks for sharing Rena! I’ll check Tear Jerkers out.

18. Norm H. November 1, 2017 at 5:07 am #

Not surprised at all at your choice for a new home, having followed your blog from the start. Congratulations! I’m certain it’s what’s right for you at this time in your journey (and will still be right in September.). Happy anticipation!

I also appreciate your position on leaving Amazon. Honest reviews of actual products used are much appreciated. Stay true to your values.

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:28 pm #

Thanks Norm!

Integrity matters a lot to me. Sadly, eating is a necessity. Hopefully the Patreon page will do well. 🙂

19. Terri November 1, 2017 at 5:58 am #

Becky, I am SO excited for you!!! This is awesome! Do you follow Mandyleaphoto on Youtube? She lives in a TAB now, but used to be in a TAG! and my friend Jordan who writes at myteardroppinlife.blogspot.com, also lives in a teardrop!

So I know you will probably update us later, but I know this means you won’t need such a big vehicle like your truck to pull a teardrop. How much is yours going to weigh?

Wow, the stuff you will be able to write about, and the adventures of living in a teardrop. I’ve fantasized about it, let me tell you! But with my pets, probably not the best way to go. LOL

Again, so excited for you. And looking forward to the blog post where you tell us how you found this teardrop company and why you decided to go with them, and what the interior will look like, etc., etc.

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:32 pm #

I met Mandy at last year’s Xscapers Convergence in Quartzsite, she’s a great person!

Yes, when Bertha dies I’ll be getting a tow vehicle better suited for the teardrop. There will be a lot more about that coming up!

And yes, I can see where a teardrop wouldn’t be great for your situation, I hope you do get to work travel in to your life some day. Thanks and take care!

20. Martha Goudey November 1, 2017 at 7:47 am #

Because I missed the post about downsizing to a teardrop I thought for a minute (but couldn’t imagine it) that you were going to say, “well I have decided to get a full-time job and stop traveling full-time.” Whew! You would have heard a collective scream from all of us.

As that is not the case and you are “just” downsizing to a teardrop, I am excited for you. Seems like a good choice and will be excited to hear more about the hiker trailer and why you decided to downsize and why you have to wait 10 months. Surely there isn’t a waiting list that long!

We have been out in the Casita for a year as of 10-28, downsized from a 1500 sq ft house and an acre. So glad we did but many times over the past year I have thought it was too small for both of us to live long-term. I still have those moments, but they are fewer. A Casita has too many positives at this point to make a change. And definitely not going smaller. Unlike you without a heater, I love to crank mine up on 25-30 degree mornings.

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:38 pm #

Yikes! Going back to a regular job would be a nightmare, haha.

I’m glad that the Casita is working well for you! It would be harder living in one with two people, I’m not sure I could do it myself.

21. Wheelingit November 1, 2017 at 8:14 am #

Super excited for you. Challenges and changes are part of life and I can’t wait to see where the Teardrop takes you.

Nina

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:38 pm #

Thanks Nina!

22. Ken Curry November 1, 2017 at 8:18 am #

Congrats on your new rig. sept delivery will give you plenty of time to pick a name for your new home.

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:38 pm #

Thanks Ken!

23. Lisa@Free2brv November 1, 2017 at 8:49 am #

Congratulations on your soon-to-be new RV.

As to the loss of affiliate links, have you looked into Steemit? (https://steemit.com) I think that community is ripe for RV nomad-types and if you build a following, you can make some money as you get paid by readers through upvotes.

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:44 pm #

I’ll look into it Lisa, thanks for sharing!

24. Y Knowles November 1, 2017 at 9:05 am #

Never knew leaving a message helped you. Been mostly silent over the years. I’ll start leaving more messages, if only to say ‘Great job’! I don’t buy many things, so I never order from Amazon (I’m a rare person, I know!). Having the Patreon account will allow those of us who choose to, to send you a donation, similar to NPR (National Public Radio). People can access NPR without ever donating. But those who wish to, can donate any amount of money to help defray the cost of producing it. I will definitely become a Patreon for your blog.
    Congrats on the new rig! I’m currently just planning on converting my minivan, because I have no other options. My first camping trip in it is this Friday night! Can’t wait!!

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 9:48 pm #

Thank you very much Y Knowles, both for commenting and for the future support on Patreon!

I wish you all the best on your van conversion. I have a lot of respect for people who have the skills and will to turn a vehicle into a home, it’s not something I’m good at and so I buy rigs that are already set up for RVing! Have a great trip! Safe travels and happy trails.

25. David Ray Ainley November 1, 2017 at 10:21 am #

Your integrity in this “Amazon” situation is greatly admired and is the reason I will continue to follow your adventures. You may travel your road alone; but be assured that your followers are always with you and supporting you in whatever way(s) we can. Keep those wonderful posts (and pictures) coming young lady. Hope to see you again at RTR 2018.

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 10:00 pm #

I will be at RTR, in fact I’ll be leading one of the seminars. Decided to make all that a separate announcement though as this one was already big enough, haha. Thanks for your support.

26. Brent Morrow November 1, 2017 at 11:03 am #

Congratulations, looking forward to the pictures of the rig you picked out and future blogs. Never cared for Amazon, preferring to support local businesses even though they are more expensive. Happy Trails, Brent

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 10:10 pm #

Thanks Brent.

27. Renee November 1, 2017 at 11:51 am #

Awesome to hear you’re still planning to rv FT. You will go international when timing is right FOR YOU. I have no doubts. Since you are downsizing home you will no longer be able to stand made me think you’ll only RV PT. I love your future home but not being able to stand is a must for me…..more so than having a shower inside. So excited for you and know you’re an inspiration!! If God’s willing I’ll be rving FT in a few years.

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 10:11 pm #

Best of luck to you Renee! Thanks!

28. Dwayne Olson November 1, 2017 at 1:37 pm #

You really are going smaller! Do these even had a toilet? And the headroom? Going to be bent over all the time. Maybe for you it would be ok, but I am 6′. Going have to go on their website to see the floor plan.

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 10:11 pm #

I’ll be addressing all this in the next blog post. 🙂

29. Kent November 1, 2017 at 2:02 pm #

Wow!
    That is big news. I can really understand the wish to downsize. I made a friend last winter at Picacho Peak who full-times in a tear drop and just tries to stay places with facilities most of the time. She was happy as a clam with her set-up. I look forward to hearing more about the rig and also the “lifestyle” change.

Although I full-time myself and my situation is a bit different I am really thinking about a downsize myself.

Sorry to hear about Amazon. That is all I will say about that and reserve comment. But I suppose terms are terms.

Patreon? You bet I will support you there Becky. I admire what you are doing and your attitude most of all. (I could use more of it on some days.)

• Becky November 1, 2017 at 10:32 pm #

Thanks for the future support on Patreon Kent! A lot of people thought the Casita was too small for full-timing, and I’m getting even more questioning on the teardrop thing. But like you I know a couple people who full-time in them, so it’s certainly not impossible!

30. Ernesto Quintero November 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm #

Congrats on your decision Becky, enjoy your new rig, looks like in can travel deep into the wilderness. I was at the manufacturers site, the interior reminds me of a small sail boat with a cuddy cabin.

• Becky November 2, 2017 at 4:32 pm #

Thanks Ernesto!

31. Angelack November 1, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

Change is good. Looking forward to your continuing adventures.

• Becky November 2, 2017 at 4:33 pm #

Thanks Angleack!

32. Pauline Klein November 1, 2017 at 3:13 pm #

What wonderful news. I can’t believe anyone would presume to know what is better for you than you do. I guess parents may have some say about things, but other than that…..
    Anyway, glad you found the perfect rig for you, only you know what is best. Hope you will have many happy miles and smiles of travel in it for many many years. Cant wait to see pictures when it is yours.

• Becky November 2, 2017 at 5:01 pm #

I find, not so much in this community but I see it a lot in the more general RVing world, that people all the time presume to know what RV is best and belittle those who choose different. But yes, the people who read IO tend to be open-minded and accepting, that’s why I love you all so much!

33. Ellen November 1, 2017 at 4:26 pm #

Congrats to you! We’re headed toward full time but are a year out. The more I look around the more “stuff” I see. We can’t wait to downsize and get rid of the burdens! Thanks for letting us watch, through your eyes, life on the road. I love reading your blog and seeing the real life instead of life being all rosey.

• Becky November 2, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

Downsizing is a challenge Ellen but you’ll feel so great once it’s done and you’re on the road! You’re quite welcome and I’m glad IO has inspired you.

34. Pamela November 1, 2017 at 5:51 pm #

Good for you, Becky! I look forward to following along when you’re in your new home. Pretty exciting! Happy Travels.
    Pamela

• Becky November 2, 2017 at 5:04 pm #

Thanks Pamela!

35. Arden November 1, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

Hi, Becky! Ever since you indicated your were making a change, I — like everyone else! — have sure been wondering what it would be. I do love teardrops and these Hikers look great so I’ll be very much looking forward to posts as you move toward the change and then as you embark upon new adventures. I’m such a weenie, I just need a toilet, so although I sometimes fantasize about teardrops, I know they’re probably not for me. But more power to you and I will have a great time enjoying teardrop life vicariously! Wishing you all the very best!
    –arden–
    Arden recently posted..Beyond the Law of AttractionMy Profile

• Becky November 2, 2017 at 5:06 pm #

I’m going to have a porta pottie, but it won’t be a substitute for a real toilet I agree! Thanks Arden and I’m looking forward to sharing the new trailer with you all.

36. Shelly Sizemore November 2, 2017 at 1:49 am #

Wow, big changes, Becky! Congrats on your Teardrop (now I need to research the heck out of them, lol). Sorry about the Amazon situation.

• Becky November 2, 2017 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks Shelly!

37. Furry Gnome November 2, 2017 at 7:32 pm #

Wow, congratulations Becky! You certainly have the right attitude to change. I look forward to your further comments on this. We’ve just made a huge change, moving to a new house in town, and some surgery to look forward to. Some things you choose, some are forced on you. Take care. Always enjoy reading your posts. I think you’re the most articulate blogger I know.
    Furry Gnome recently posted..Good-bye to the HostasMy Profile

• Becky November 3, 2017 at 5:18 pm #

Congrats on the move Gnome, and I hope the surgery goes well.

38. Virginia November 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm #

Congratulations on your new trailer! Had to look it up. What fun! Looking forward to following your adventures with this new travel partner.

I hope you find success with Patreon. I support a few dulcimer artists who would not get able to afford their craft without that fund-raising platform. It’s a great concept.

Safe travels

• Becky November 3, 2017 at 5:20 pm #

Thanks Virginia! It costs money to host the website, the e-mail list, and my theme is a yearly subscription. Hopefully I’ll make enough to defray those costs at least.

39. John November 3, 2017 at 7:14 am #

> For those who wonder why a tiny trailer, and why Hiker Trailer in specific,
    > I’ll be writing more about that soon.

I will look forward to that explanation. As you mention, each of us has our own desires and preferences but it is useful to hear how others have thought about options and the thinking behind their decisions.

It is amazing (to me anyway) that there is a 10 month delay. I guess I am biased by the instant gratification that we so often have at our fingertips today.
    John recently posted..Cheap Internet Data Options for Travelers and Nomads in the USAMy Profile

• Becky November 3, 2017 at 5:21 pm #

That post is coming later today, once the video is uploaded and ready to go, hah.

40. Tim November 3, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

Wow! I guess maybe I can full time in my Scamp 13′ 🙂 I love my little trailer and I have been debating getting the 16′ in a couple years when I retire. Hmmm… Can’t wait to read your article about it – especially refrigeration, cooking in the rain, etc. I guess you won’t be choosing work-camping in colder areas any more. I remember your Amazon job in Kansas with all the snow! Looks really cozy though.

• Becky November 3, 2017 at 5:22 pm #

Everyone’s needs are different Tim. I could full-time in something that small but not everyone could! I’m sure the right answer will come to you.

41. Christina November 4, 2017 at 9:06 am #

Becky – I applaud your gentle warning that your choices are your own. Social media is full of ‘advice’ that is neither helpful or appropriate. It is tedious for both the reader (as well as the writer, I assume) to scan through such comments. I enjoy your adventures and your eloquence and look forward to a new chapter of adventures in a Teardrop!

• Becky November 4, 2017 at 6:12 pm #

Yes, such ‘advice’ gets just as tedious for the writer. 😉

Thanks Christina!

42. Dennis November 4, 2017 at 3:20 pm #

Becky,
    Congrats on upgrading to a Teardrop. Everyone I’ve talked to during my travels has nothing but good things to say. Too bad about Amazon, I feel for you.

Keep smiling,
    Dennis

• Becky November 4, 2017 at 6:13 pm #

Thanks Dennis. Hopefully Patreon will be able to cover the costs of running and maintaining the website and mailing list.

43. AZ_Kit November 5, 2017 at 3:22 pm #

Congratulations on the new teardrop! Good to hear you’ll still have an emergency toilet. I’ve been part-timing in my Subaru Outback for a year now, and not having a toilet in the middle of the night has been a small problem at least once, lol. I’ve always intended to add a trailer at some point to go with my Outback, and I dream of the day when I have a refrigerator to store leftovers and I don’t have to cook outside in the rain, snow, and/or wind, sometimes with lots of bugs attacking also. That’s why I don’t think I could go with a teardrop… I’ve had enough of my food getting blown all over me in a dustdevil! But for now, the Outback is just about perfect, since I’m already home anywhere I go!

• Becky November 6, 2017 at 11:53 am #

I know a lot of people who tow small teardrops like the Hiker with an Outback and it would give you a lot more space, but I understand the desire to go larger too. Happy that the Outback is working well for where you are now.

44. Sharon Gulezian November 15, 2017 at 9:54 am #

Hi Becky.
    I understand you so well. I too have a small Runaway. I have owned it for 3 years and love every minute of it. I don’t find it hard at all to live in and travel. I did add two solar panels on top which gives me 200 watts. I travel 7 months a year ago to the entire North East. All the New England states up to Maine and around North of New York and back again North to Florida. I had a wonderful time. Was never lonely. I am 71 young and still going strong. In December I am traveling to the Fl. Panhandle for 4 days at a campsite to meet up with friends and then on to Arizona stopping along the way. I don’t have to be in Arizona until Christmas. I will be joining Bob Wells for their Christmas camp out and then going with them to Quartzite area for the big gem show they have. I will stay there for 2 weeks and then go to all the wonderful places I have only dreamed off. I have air conditioning and heat if I plug in but most of my trip will be boondocking. I have fans that run on batteries but haven’t figured out the heat yet except maybe sleeping bag or to see if truckers use a 15 volt elec. blanket. Any idea’s and suggestions will be much appreciated. Happy Traveling and stay safe.

• Becky November 16, 2017 at 2:41 pm #

Sounds like a fun trip Sharon!

I use a sleeping bag for boondocking in cold weather, just slide it right under the regular covers on my bed and it works fine. For really cold weather, I have a Mr. Buddy brand Little Buddy Heater that runs of of 1 lb propane tanks. It heats something the size of the Casita easily and would probably be overkill for a teardrop. 12 volt electric blankets do exist, but I have no personal experience with them.