A Full-timer’s Secret Weapon

This ground cover in North Dakota stayed green long after everything else was bare branches. No idea what it is.

Tonight I’m parked at a Cracker Barrel in Sioux Falls, SD, waiting to go back into the repair shop tomorrow morning to address a new concern the shop created when they fixed the original problem.

I can tell you all the whole story in a future post once it’s over, but really it won’t be anything you haven’t read about on this (or other) RVing blogs before. RVs are complicated and they need fixing. A lot. Fortunately this time the issue was just one pin on my 7-pin connector on the Casita – relatively cheap and easy in the grand scheme of things. I wasn’t stranded, this will be a relatively minor delay, all is well.

But no, what I really want to address about all this is what I feel is the number one trait that a full-timer needs to be happy and successful on the road:

Flexibility.

If you can be flexible; any mechanical problem, human error, change of plan, construction snarl, bad weather snap, cell phone coverage gap, etc. can be gotten around. This one thing has saved me so much stress and pain in my five years of traveling full-time.

And tonight, being flexible means overnighting at a lot with easy access to the repair shop…which also happens to be right next door to a movie theater. I’ll take it!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , ,

32 Responses to A Full-timer’s Secret Weapon

1. Todd October 18, 2017 at 8:02 pm #

Not sure if you’ve been to Sioux Falls before but their is a nice park in town down by the “falls”. Should be beautiful this time of year. You’re in our official domicile.

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:30 pm #

Yes I camped at Big Sioux Rec Area shortly after hitting the road (Madison just to the northwest is my official domicile) and I did see the falls then. Quite pretty!

2. Linda Sand October 18, 2017 at 9:40 pm #

I once read a thing that said something like, “A happy person is one who can enjoy a detour.” It sounds like that movie theatre is in a great place to make this detour a happy one.

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:31 pm #

It sure was Linda!

I like that quote, it sounds very me. 🙂

3. Ron October 18, 2017 at 10:30 pm #

Great Attitude.

4. Dave October 18, 2017 at 10:55 pm #

Any port looks good in a storm.

5. Joe October 19, 2017 at 2:54 am #

Ah ha! That’s why you are always so upbeat and cheerful:) haha Thanks for the tip and advice!

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:33 pm #

I’m not always upbeat and cheerful (I don’t think anyone is), but I do my best to cultivate that attitude Joe because it does make such a huge difference in this lifestyle.

6. Holly Gardner October 19, 2017 at 3:45 am #

I so enjoy reading your posts. I used to think I was fickle, but thanks to your explanation this morning, I realize I am wonderfully flexible. I never consider myself lost, always exploring. I agree that this outlook on life and travel makes for happiness. Thank you for your insight.

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:34 pm #

You’re welcome Holly and I’m glad you enjoyed this post. A lot of long-time RVers have this trait in common, whether they realize it or not.

7. Ray October 19, 2017 at 5:48 am #

I am glad it was a small thing, of course attitude makes it a small thing.
    I got the feeling you are contemplating changing RV.. I am very curious about what that will be.
    Please keep us informed.

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:37 pm #

Now that the beet harvest is over I am in serious research mode figuring out the RV and travel situation. Expect more within the next couple weeks.

8. Liz October 19, 2017 at 5:55 am #

Recently had a truck tire issue at the beginning of our trip and spent about 36 hours in delay mode. Unfortunately my attitude was not as positive as yours but we recovered and went on with what proved to be a wonderful 10 days on the road. I will print this and post it in our camper as a reminder next time – and as we all know, there will surely be a next time.

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:40 pm #

Sorry to hear that Liz but I’m glad you still had ten great days after it was over!

Yeah, there’ll be a next time. But on the plus side as you gain experience with the phenomenon, each subsequent problem goes a little more smoothly. At least in my experience.

9. Anne October 19, 2017 at 8:32 am #

You are so right! Flexibility, resilience, and the ability to embrace serendipity sure do make life a lot more fun. Even if your house doesn’t have wheels…

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:41 pm #

Yes Anne, I can see where these would be good skills for just about any walk of life.

10. Rhonda October 19, 2017 at 9:11 am #

Right on, Anne! As a psychotherapist focusing on childhood development issues I’ve always maintained flexibility and resilience are the two childhood characteristics that, sadly, many adults seem to lose as childhood is left behind. Thanks for reminding us all, Becky, that flexibility is a trait worth maintaining throughout our lives, no matter which path our lives take us. Btw, I am loving your You Tube channel, especially the up to date videos…as I am vicariously enjoying the road right along with you. 🙂

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:43 pm #

Glad you’re enjoying the channel Rhonda. Still have a couple years worth of travelogues to catch up on, haha.

11. Mush October 19, 2017 at 10:40 am #

Hit it right on the money! I meet travelers that have to have every minute planned and think how sad that is existence would be for me. While I too have repair drama (still trying to get everything from my February blow out fixed AND the $1000+ in repairs to the repair) I still look forward to what each new day will bring my way. Rolling with the good and the bad makes my life sooooo much more enjoyable.

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:44 pm #

I hope the repairs are going well Mush. Looking forward to seeing you again this winter!

12. Reine in Plano (when not camping) October 19, 2017 at 2:55 pm #

“And tonight, being flexible means overnighting at a lot with easy access to the repair shop…which also happens to be right next door to a movie theater”

Not to mention some good comfort food at reasonable prices. Even when not overnighting there, we usually try to stop at a Cracker Barrel at least once on each trip. They have great lunch specials and last time I checked their “kids menu” is for “kids of all ages”.

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:45 pm #

Kids of all ages, I like that Reine! I had the chicken fried chicken, one of my favorite comfort food items. 🙂

13. Laura October 19, 2017 at 5:08 pm #

Your post is so perfectly on target! THANK YOU! We are just a few months into fulltiming and feel like we just can’t hit our stride. We have had huge issues getting started with the sale of our home, a health issue, then fires/smoke, repairs and now drenching rain. My husband is so frustrated he made himself sick! So I just read your post to him! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate what you do. Thank you, Becky!

• Becky October 19, 2017 at 6:48 pm #

You are quite welcome Laura! I’m glad this came at a good time for you.

Most full-timers agree that the six month mark is where you start finding a rhythm and the whole thing gets easier. Just hang in there, it’ll get better!

14. Debby October 19, 2017 at 8:10 pm #

How incredibly timely that this should show up in my inbox this morning! We aren’t Facebook friends so you haven’t seen my saga…the fiberglass coating on my old Class A roof came loose on the interstate traveling from the beets to Camperforce…it was HORRIFIC and happened in the middle of nowhere…if you could see my posts you would see what I’ve gone through in the past four days and suddenly I am buying a new-to-me Class C…if I wasn’t flexible this week I’d probably have given up the lifestyle. Love your blog, have many in real life friends in common.

• Becky October 20, 2017 at 7:11 pm #

I’m so sorry to hear that Debby, that must have been traumatic! But I’m glad you’re working through it, congrats on the new Class C and I hope it treats you well!

15. S. Kaeseman October 20, 2017 at 7:40 am #

Sioux Falls is a nice place, camped overnight at the local KOA for 1 night with friends a couple years ago. Always good to have entertainment like a movie theater nearby when things happen to change your schedule. Just glad it’s not serious and things overall are going well.
    Agree completely about being flexible and making sure you add extra time to your schedule
    in case things pop up.
    Take care and be safe. What movie or movies did you see if you don’t mind me asking.
    Later and as always be safe and enjoy your wonderful adventures/life.
    Respectfully,
    S. Kaeseman

• Becky October 20, 2017 at 7:13 pm #

I was planning to see Blade Runner 2049, but after posting this I got into a really good spot in my book and decided to just keep reading! I’m such a nerd. 😀

16. Terri October 22, 2017 at 6:47 am #

i think flexibility is key in so many things but especially with RVs and older RVs such as yours. I think life is much easier when you realize things will not be perfect, and that when things go wrong, it’s not the end of the world. Rather, it’s even sometimes a growing experience! I always draw inspiration from you, Becky, thank you.

• Becky October 23, 2017 at 7:31 pm #

You’re quite welcome Terri. I’m glad you’re continuing to enjoy IO!

17. Jim November 13, 2017 at 5:02 pm #

Just got back from the tecopa hot springs where I was milling around waiting a week for parts from the dodge dealer in pahrump, bonus there was a music festival this weekend so great hurry up and wait week. Well it seems the parts guys jammed up the order so looks like another week wait. Guess I’ll have to tough it out exploreing some more of Death Valley. Life is sure tough some time. Hope to catch some more sun burn just cause. No rush on the nav parts I kind of enjoy being lost

• Becky November 14, 2017 at 2:15 pm #

That’s a great attitude to have Jim, enjoy Death Valley.