Thoughts on RV Projects

There is always, always going to be something that needs doing on your RV. It doesn’t matter how good of shape it’s in, or how new it is. And for tinkerer types who enjoy fixing and improving things, that can make an RV a really great project.

But, a lot of us don’t fall into that category. One of the biggest complaints I hear about RV ownership is how much work they require. You could drive yourself nuts keeping on top of every little thing.

So here’s an idea to save your sanity: let go of staying on top of it all.

Do what you need to keep it functioning well, and don’t let it become trashy. But think about your motivation for projects. Is it actually going to further your enjoyment of the RV, or are you doing it just because you feel like you should? “I know a lot of people like this mod” or “I might get looked down on if this doesn’t look new” might not be worth your precious time and effort.

An RV is a vessel for making memories, not an ornament to be admired in your driveway. It’s meant to get used, and that means it won’t stay in perfect condition.

Think of a child’s favorite toy, that gets worn over time. You look at it and know it is well loved. Try thinking of the imperfections in your RV the same way: as a symbol that it has been used for its intended purpose. It’s been well loved.

Thank you PayPal donators and Amazon Shoppers!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, ,

27 Responses to Thoughts on RV Projects

1. Ron September 5, 2017 at 5:30 pm #

So true

2. Barney Ward September 5, 2017 at 6:11 pm #

My TT definitely shows it has over 250,000 miles of fun on it.

3. Jeff September 5, 2017 at 6:52 pm #

Wow great timely advise as I’m looking into what is a needed repair and what can be considered a ‘beauty mark’. Thanks!

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:29 pm #

You’re welcome Jeff!

4. Bev September 5, 2017 at 7:53 pm #

Just hit 2 year anniversary of full time stationary RV living…..have made some major upgrades…..

• Karen September 7, 2017 at 10:33 am #

Hi Bev, Could you elaborate on the upgrades? I would love to hear what you have done and how it makes better living for you.
      Thanks Karen in FL

5. Kylene Barnett September 5, 2017 at 8:52 pm #

The same holds true, I think, for people with older homes that don’t travel across the country. 🙂 I’m glad it looks like those cushion covers are still holding up alright! I still love that pattern.

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:30 pm #

I’d agree Kylene. And yes they’re still looking good!

6. Rob September 5, 2017 at 9:43 pm #

Safe, comfortable & looking acceptable is what I aim for.

7. Tom Niemeier September 6, 2017 at 4:56 am #

Becky. Your Casita is hardly big enough to carry my tool set!

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:32 pm #

Hah. My tools live in the back of the truck.

8. Kevin justis September 6, 2017 at 5:23 am #

I totally agree with your thoughts. We are the 4th owners of a 1995 casita and have over 1200 nights in it. I have told many folks that the secret to happy RVing is to “lower your standards”.

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:40 pm #

It makes such a difference!

9. Barb L September 6, 2017 at 6:00 am #

What a timely post! As I look around our well loved 14 year old motorhome, I’d love to have the cabinets painted a fresh white, with new hardware, replace the counters,etc., But really… Let’s just fix the faucet that drips and call it good. There are still so many places to see and people to meet and we’re not getting any younger.

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:41 pm #

Glad this came at a good time for you Barb!

10. Holly Gardner September 6, 2017 at 6:24 am #

Funny you should hit upon this topic, I dry lubed all the hinges yesterday on my cabinet doors. My Velveteen rabbit is much less squeaky today. A little here a little maintence there and more time to go meet friends new and old. The Kansas Eggstravaganza is beginning and it’s a wonderful 48 degrees this morning. Thank you for your insights, enjoy them very much.

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:42 pm #

Have a good time Holly!

11. John September 6, 2017 at 7:22 am #

Please don’t tell my wife!

12. Ken September 6, 2017 at 7:57 am #

Very True. But it’s hard for those of use who tend to be perfectionists. Those little things can be really annoying! But I agree with you, we should enjoy it and keep it functional and reasonably maintained, not try to keep it in like new condition.
    And that is one of the benefits of a fiberglass trailer; they hold up much better than some other types of RVs.

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:45 pm #

Yep, a big reason why I chose a Casita.

13. Kit September 6, 2017 at 8:58 am #

Hi Becky, I always have projects going in the camper. And I also let go of them to enjoy life. They’ll be there. Last year I laid a new floor, renovated the dinette area and removed the second bench seat to give myself room for a lounge chair for reading. I insulated the walls around my bed, and my intention is to staple cool fabric around the bed “nook”. It will get done when I’m feeling the mood.

Travel, art, adventure are always first.

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:44 pm #

Sounds good Kit!

14. Reine in Plano(when not camping) September 6, 2017 at 1:28 pm #

I really hope the picture was taken when you were camped in your folks driveway. Full sized vacuum cleaners and full timing in a Casita aren’t a great combo.😳

The advice is great. Enjoy the trailer, don’t obsess over it.

• Becky September 6, 2017 at 1:45 pm #

Hah, I don’t own a vacuum cleaner at all Reine. 🙂

15. Laura September 6, 2017 at 3:11 pm #

Agreed. We’re just not that into endless maintenance projects and keeping things shiny. Who cares? We live in the dirt. We do what needs to be done when it actually needs to be done, but otherwise? We’ve found ignoring things seems to to work wonders. Our tow car is almost 16 years old. I recently came across the manual that came with it and there were about 793 things we were supposed to do over the past 16 years to keep it running (“check this, clean that, replace this, oil that…”). We’ve barely done any of it. Guess what? I turn the key and it turns on. I could have spent years checking this and cleaning that, but the car runs just fine without all that. Same goes with the RV. We do what needs to be done, but we’re not spending all day every day on maintenance projects. The point of this project is to enjoy our lives, not create more pointless work.

16. Karen September 7, 2017 at 10:39 am #

Hi Becky,
    I’ve been following you since seeing you on Technomadia’s video about your lifestyle change. Seeing you enjoy the little things, as I do, really made me reevaluate how I live. I am presently looking for a used Casita and hope to be FT by 2020 but hopefully, much sooner if I can get everything in line.
    In the mean time, I will live vicariously through your posts! 🙂
    Peace, love and light,
    Karen in FL

• Becky September 10, 2017 at 6:18 pm #

Glad you’re enjoying IO Karen, best of luck to you!