Plans For the Rest of 2017

Milwaukee, WI. Taken at a recent festival.

Time for another one of my ‘semi-regular’ updates on my plans for this fall and winter, as several people have asked. I’ll keep this short and sweet so you all can get caught up and then back to enjoying these last few days of summer. As always, my plans are written in jello and subject to change – that’s just the nature of full-time RVing!

First, (and this is a guarantee), the IO YouTube channel goes live on September 14th, my five year nomadiversary! On that day I’ll post the link and more details, but in short I’m quite excited to finally have a dedicated video space.

Second, (and also pretty much a guarantee barring some catastrophic event), I’m working the beet harvest this year instead of CamperForce. I’ll be at the Drayton, ND site from September 26 to mid October. And of course I’ll be doing an informational blog post about the experience, for those of you who are interested in trying it yourselves.

Third, I’ve been dropping hints for years on the blog about changing rigs, and I bring it up again now because that time is drawing nearer and I want to reduce the shock when I finally make the announcement.

Fourth, I’ll probably be going back to the desert southwest again this winter. We’ll see how things pan out.

I hope you all have great things in store for the rest of the year!

Thank you for shopping Amazon using my affiliate link!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, ,

33 Responses to Plans For the Rest of 2017

1. Jodee Gravel August 29, 2017 at 9:37 am #

ND should be pretty that time of year and sounds like a great hard-work option to CamperForce. And not a long way from where you are 🙂

Sounds like exciting changes for the coming months – good for you!!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Keeping Disappointment in PerspectiveMy Profile

• Becky August 29, 2017 at 2:13 pm #

Yes my location had a lot to do with the decision to do the beet harvest this year, this is probably the closest I’ll be for the foreseeable future! Thanks Jodee.

2. Barney Ward August 29, 2017 at 10:44 am #

I will be EXTREMELY interested in what rig change you choose. Changing rigs has been in my mind the last year also. It is going to be an interesting next 12 months for both of us. Best wishes to you.
    Barney Ward recently posted..Stick FlingingMy Profile

• Becky August 29, 2017 at 2:19 pm #

I always aim for an interesting year Barney, haha. But yes, the next 12 months will quite possibly be more interesting than average. Best of luck with your rig change.

3. Ron August 29, 2017 at 10:45 am #

Darn you
    You give us just enough info to continue to keep us in suspense
    Ron

• Becky August 29, 2017 at 2:20 pm #

I’d say it’s all part of my evil plan Ron, but it really isn’t. I just don’t want to share details until I have them all hammered out on my end. 🙂

4. Cherie August 29, 2017 at 10:57 am #

Changing rigs is exciting.. as nomads we change our yards all the time, but changing your home is so much fun. Can’t wait to see what you’re going with.
    Cherie recently posted..The Great Loop: South to the Keys (Part 2: Naples to Marco Island)My Profile

• Becky August 29, 2017 at 2:21 pm #

I think most people will be surprised, but maybe not you two. 🙂

5. Elaine from BC August 29, 2017 at 11:36 am #

I’ll be interested to follow along on your rig changing journey as I’m going through that process right now. Maybe I’ll see u in the desert again this year!

• Becky August 29, 2017 at 2:22 pm #

I hope so Elaine! Hope your new rig treats you well.

6. desi August 29, 2017 at 12:49 pm #

so will it be a travel trailor class c or b becky? just curious how over the years you see other rig options

• Becky August 29, 2017 at 2:25 pm #

I still love my Casita and believe wholeheartedly that I made the best decision for the style of RVing I did when I bought it. But my style is changing and my rig choice will change to reflect that. More details will follow when the time comes.

7. Judy Blinkenberg August 29, 2017 at 12:51 pm #

Yay!! I hope you will have fun in beets! I sure like them. And, I especially want to know where to camp in Arizona. We had no idea where to go last year, so we left early. We would like some solar help. Thank you IO and I look forward to seeing you on UTube. We head to the Sierras in September.

8. Misty August 29, 2017 at 1:06 pm #

If you’re passing through the panhandle, you are always welcome here! 😀 I promise not to make you go mountain biking in flip-flops again! lol

• Becky August 29, 2017 at 2:28 pm #

Haha! Thanks Misty! I’ll let you know what my travel plans look like after the beet harvest.

9. Bobby August 29, 2017 at 1:21 pm #

Hello Becky. I think you might or might not heard about our nomadic community Sean O’Conner and Caro of Road Warrior videos in YouTube. There is scooter accident next day from visiting totally esclipse. Sean was killed and Caro is badly injured and stayed at hospital. Please inform everyone to prayers for their families and donations for Caro’s medical bills. That Caro doesn’t have health insurance. Please help her with donations. You can copy the link and write next post.

10. S Kaeseman August 29, 2017 at 2:12 pm #

Hi Becky, Thanks for the small update on your plans. Working the beet harvest in North Dakota sounds like hard work, but I know you are up for up. Can’t wait to hear about it. Looking forward to you telling us about your new rig also. Hope you are getting a 4×4 so you can go further afield. I know you love Bertha, she has been a great companion and seems to have more than served you well over the last 5 years or so. Hope her replacement serves you just as well.
    Thanks again as always for putting your life out there.
    Respectfully,
    S. Kaeseman

11. Tina August 29, 2017 at 3:32 pm #

Have you been bitten by the Van Life bug? It will be cool to see your new way of traveling. Wishing you all the best 🙂

Tina

12. Sherry Currently in Acadia August 29, 2017 at 4:16 pm #

I’m betting on a van too. Hope Cass gets a wonderful new home.
    Sherry Currently in Acadia recently posted..On the Rocks more than the PathMy Profile

13. Rick August 29, 2017 at 5:32 pm #

. Read Camper Chronicles beet adventures last fall now I’ll get your take on it.
    We live in Manitoba and I have always been intrigued by the mountains of beets in North Dakota.

14. RGupnorth August 29, 2017 at 6:23 pm #

You seem to be spending more time working for yourself then others – so I am thinking something a bit larger and self-sufficient to be off-grid more boon-docking.

15. Diana Graham August 30, 2017 at 5:24 am #

As usual, our travel plans are also written in jello, too. It were thinking about going to Q and American girl mine. Hope to see you!

16. GK Lott August 30, 2017 at 12:57 pm #

Sounds like exciting times ahead. Thanks for sharing your experience.

17. Hawk August 30, 2017 at 2:57 pm #

Hey Becky!

We are working in beautiful cool weather Maine at a resort for Fall season. Then South to Florida for the Winter season at another resort.

Excited to hear about how you enjoy the beet harvest. Sounds quite intense.

And will it be super-cold???

All the best,
    Hawk

18. Diane Ely August 30, 2017 at 5:27 pm #

Becky:
    Hope you’ll keep this blog going after you go live on YouTube. Bob Wells hasn’t posted anything on his blog since April (not even a Hi-I’m here-and-OK type message, despite pleas from several readers), but I hear he’s active on YouTube. Don’t let that happen to you!

• Tina August 30, 2017 at 9:47 pm #

I really miss his blog posts as well Diane, just checked the other day to see if there was an update. I understand he is busy taking care of his mother. I really don’t watch YT too much anymore and just prefer reading blogs.

19. Terri August 31, 2017 at 10:04 am #

Oh, I have some guesses about what the new to you rig will be, but I will wait to see if I’m right!! I’m happy for you that you will have more free time this fall to write and do other things, since you won’t be with Amazon. I’ve heard the beet work is very hard but it’s short term so you can get through anything short term with an end in sight, right? Plus, that way you don’t have to drive so far to get there, from your family.
    Terri recently posted..An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cureMy Profile

20. Becky August 31, 2017 at 10:29 am #

My gosh this is a lot of comments on what was intended to be a quick catchup kind of deal, haha!

Those of you asking for more details on the rig switch, I’m not comfortable sharing them yet as I don’t have all the details nailed down. I just mentioned it now so when I make an announcement down the road people don’t wonder that it just seemed to come out of the blue.

Hawk – It won’t be as cold as Kansas in late December was I reckon, but cold enough.
    Diane and Tina – The blog will still be updated regularly, no worries. 🙂
    Bobby – Thanks for sharing that link to the GoFundMe for Caro.

Thanks for caring enough to comment, everyone!

21. Dave September 2, 2017 at 12:20 pm #

I’m guessing the future might hold an aluminum version of Cas with lots of rivets.

22. frugalrvgal September 6, 2017 at 4:47 am #

Can’t wait to see the rig that you finally end up with and how the beet harvest goes!