On Being Yourself

We all have days where we lose, and days where we win. When we lose, it’s acceptable to commiserate and seek emotional support from our friends and family.

But when we win, it’s a different story. We can announce our success, but can’t celebrate too loudly or for too long or it’s seen as bragging. Nobody likes a know-it-all or a bragger.

Being passionate about a dream is seen in much the same way.

The people who stay cool and collected, who seem to have it all together and act with aplomb during their successes are applauded in our society. But being wildly enthusiastic when discussing what you do (or want to do) with your life? Most people don’t know how to respond to that having never been that excited about their own life. It makes them uncomfortable.

So you tone down your passion when discussing it with ‘normal’ people. You edit yourself to blend in and act with poise in an effort to impress the seriousness of your dream on the listener, to show them that you’re approaching the whole thing logically and that this isn’t just some flight of fancy, because most people can’t equate passion with having a plan.

And when the joy of your dream refuses to be contained? When you can’t stand for one moment longer to pretend to be one of those people who accepts the status-quo? When you just have to share your truth with the world?

You’ll be judged for it. And that’s a good thing.

Because when you’re truly, authentically you with other people, it’ll drive away those who aren’t really your people, and attract those who are. How will your tribe know you if you’re pretending to be someone else?

If you can be nothing else, be yourself. In the long run you’ll be much happier for it.

Remember those questions I was asking myself about community in the last Lasqueti travelogue post? Well, I’ve now had some time to ruminate on that experience. I haven’t sorted through everything yet, but this blog post came into being as a result of those questions.

For a while there, I was feeling some misgivings about writing so much about my non-RVing adventures. My readership has gone down a bit this last month that I’ve been focusing on other traveling. But in the end, IO can’t be just a blog about RVing, because I’m the one writing it and while I still love RVing and intend to do a lot more of it, I also love other things as well and like all people I’m constantly evolving. If I’m not sharing these other interests too I’ll eventually lose interest in IO and stop updating it, the fate of so many blogs.

So here goes.

Hi, my name is Becky. I’m passionate about RVing and deliberate living. I love hiking and a year ago got into poi dancing. I talk about all of these here on IO because they’re important to me and make me happy, and I believe that we should be open about our dreams to attract the people who truly get us. I live in an RV, but lately have been doing other kinds of adventures because I enjoy other kinds of travel, too.

If you enjoy all of what I write, great! If you enjoy some of what I write, then only read what you find interesting and find other blogs/websites/channels about other things that you enjoy. And if you’re no longer enjoying what I write enough to keep following IO? No hard feelings. People (and dreams) aren’t static, they change all the time, that’s part of human nature.

I wish you all the best with your dreams, whatever they may be. No truly, I mean it.

I’m back from Isle Royale safe and sound, what fun! The first of those travelogues is coming later this week, stay tuned…

Enjoy what you just read? Doing your Amazon shopping using my affiliate link is a great way to show your support. Thank you!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , ,

75 Responses to On Being Yourself

1. Thom Hoch August 1, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

Thank You. I thoroughly enjoyed the post and your passion for living… and your passion for being YOU.

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:20 am #

You’re welcome Thom.

2. Mike and Gerri August 1, 2017 at 2:58 pm #

Well said!!! You (we) can never be anybody but who we are!!
    To thine own self be true….

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:21 am #

Glad you enjoyed this.

3. marijka August 1, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

You’re a well-rounded, developed human being! I think the best part about getting to know other people is all the facets, not just what’s obvious or assumed. I’d never heard of poi before you, don’t really read science fiction, haven’t experienced boondocking yet — but I’m learning from you and curious about things I never knew existed! I love getting to know all the layers of people and truly appreciate how open and thoughtful you are, unlike some bloggers I’ve come across who only show one ‘perfect’ face to the world. I’m a fan. Period. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:22 am #

Happy you feel that way Marijka. I’m in the same category, I prefer deeper connections with fewer people than superficial ones with a lot of people.

• Maria_levy August 2, 2017 at 5:52 pm #

Becky, I think you are accomplishing the rare feat of connecting deeply with many people, not just a few. Thank you for being who you are because it allows the rest of us to feel safe in doing the same.

4. Jerry Minchey August 1, 2017 at 5:17 pm #

Becky, maybe I’m different from most of your readers, but your posts that I like the best are the ones where you talk about your feelings, thoughts, and ideas.

Travel blogs are nice, but the web is full of those. Not many RV bloggers talk about or express their true feelings and thoughts. In other words, they’re not revealing their true selves.

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:24 am #

As a writer I’m sure you’ve learned that the secret to writing in a field with a lot of competition is to add your own touch to it… to be yourself. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Ron August 1, 2017 at 6:43 pm #

Diversity is good and I enjoy reading of your travels and all your other adventures too. If it was only RVing related it might get boring. Readership may be down simply due to time of year. I spend most of my time outdoors now.

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:26 am #

There is some truth to that Ron, I’ve noticed over the years that summer is always the slowest season in both readership and revenue.

6. Forrest Clark August 1, 2017 at 7:10 pm #

Be who you are! Write what you want to write. Share your passions and your activities. Those of us who want to follow the real you will stay with you and your blog. Those who want you to be something else may not stick around.

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:27 am #

Haha, thanks Forrest.

7. Michael August 1, 2017 at 7:28 pm #

A thought here, I like reading interesting blogs. Key word, interesting, my thoughts and interests vary day to day. Truth be told, almost anything will interest me if communicated well. Deliberate honesty, a toe dipped in life, the ability to communicate, these are the things that make me come here. When the person of the blog is touched by my comments enough to respond then I know, they know, it’s working.

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:28 am #

Thanks for sharing Michael.

8. Rhonda August 1, 2017 at 9:39 pm #

“Because when youโ€™re truly, authentically you with other people, itโ€™ll drive away those who arenโ€™t really your people, and attract those who are. How will your tribe know you if youโ€™re pretending to be someone else?

If you can be nothing else, be yourself. In the long run youโ€™ll be much happier for it.”

*****************

Best words I’ve read in a long while. Thanks…

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:29 am #

Glad you enjoyed this Rhonda!

9. MB Dillard August 2, 2017 at 4:41 am #

“How will your tribe know you if you are pretending to be someone else?” Perfect.

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:30 am #

๐Ÿ™‚

10. Sharron August 2, 2017 at 4:58 am #

I Enjoy all you posts with adventures, advice and feelings. Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:31 am #

You’re welcome Sharron.

11. Rodolfo Tenorio August 2, 2017 at 5:23 am #

Dance in the rain, sing out loud, hike mountains, kayak lakes, rest on your hammock, enjoy, laugh, cry. Thank you.

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:31 am #

You’re welcome Rodolfo.

12. Y Knowles August 2, 2017 at 7:55 am #

I love everything you post – travel tips, thoughts, feelings, worries, hopes, dreams, dancing, hiking, whatever you post is very interesting. You are a great writer and I enjoy reading it all. Keep it up. I enjoy the authentic YOU!! Hey, that means I’m in your tribe!! Yea!!!

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:32 am #

Yes you are Y K. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for reading.

13. Reine in Plano (when not camping) August 2, 2017 at 8:25 am #

I follow four blogs. IO is one of them. They are all related to Casitas but the four bloggers write about different things and each has a different perspective. The interesting thing is that NONE of the four are really like me. Reading from their perspective broadens my own. I’ve met three of you and like hearing about what’s going on in your lives. I think that’s really what community is all about. Knowing people, either personally or electronically, and caring enough to be involved in their lives.

Glad you got back safely from the Isle Royale trip and look forward to hearing about your adventures.

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:43 am #

Thanks for sharing your insights Reine.

14. Bill d. August 2, 2017 at 9:02 am #

Your blog is my “go to” blog! It’s interesting, educational, and honest. You don’t sugar coat anything. There is enough variety to keep me coming back. More than anything, you show people that you they don’t have to be afraid of the unknown! Embrace every adventure! Traveling is an education in itself! I think your blog is awesome!

• Becky August 2, 2017 at 9:44 am #

I’m glad you think so Bill, thanks for reading. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Vern M. August 2, 2017 at 10:42 am #

Becky, your latest reminded me of my favorite quote of Garrison Keillor; “Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known”.

Keep on keeping on!

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 12:47 pm #

Interesting quote Vern, I like it!

16. Thomas E Reed August 2, 2017 at 11:24 am #

Hi Becky; I’m a long time subscriber, and avid fan of IO. I know that you do seasonal work for Amazon, and they just addvertized that they were hireing 50k workers. Do you think that will adversely impact you come late fall. Or is that in addition to seasonal workers? I too travel with my Casita (named “FreeBird” ) but I am 74 and do mostly snow bird camping, (following 70 degrees)
    Keep on posting and this old bird will keep following. Stay Safe…

Tom Reed.

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 12:49 pm #

CamperForce is still hiring for the Kentucky site for this year, so I’m going to say no. Haven’t seen that news but my guess is that’s full-time employees for new warehouses that are opening up, I think in 2016 they opened 13 new sites or something like that?

17. Robin August 2, 2017 at 1:21 pm #

Love this Becky!

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 12:50 pm #

You’re welcome. ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Linda Sand August 2, 2017 at 2:03 pm #

I read several blogs about several subjects. I come to this one for YOUR perspective on various aspects of life. Please, you do you.

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 12:51 pm #

Glad you’re still enjoying IO Linda, thanks for reading.

19. Angelack August 2, 2017 at 2:32 pm #

I thoroughly enjoy all your adventures, musings, photography and insights. Don’t stop, I’m on board for the long haul.

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 12:57 pm #

Thanks Angelack.

20. MnDreamer August 2, 2017 at 3:34 pm #

Becky, to use some 70’s jargon -because I’m older than you and my expressions are too ๐Ÿ™‚ –
    you are such a cool person. You have inspired me to pursue my dream to full-time in a Casita, and you are inspiring me to be myself and pursue other passions too. Thank you for that, and thank you for being yourself. I can hardly wait to read about your Isle Royale adventure. Keep on keepin’ on!

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

I so can’t wait to hear about your adventures MN, I hope you decide to share them. ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Norm H. August 2, 2017 at 3:46 pm #

Another excellent post! Keep on being you . . . and encouraging us to be our authentic selves. Looking forward to your report on Isle Royale.

I expect “summeritis” is the reason for a drop in readership. After all, this is the time we non full timers go camping! ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep on, keeping on! Peace.

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 12:59 pm #

That latest post is just about ready Norm. ๐Ÿ™‚ Take care.

22. Rick August 2, 2017 at 4:10 pm #

I enjoy it all. Keep up the good work!

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

Thanks Rick.

23. Barney Ward August 2, 2017 at 4:59 pm #

Another very well done blog entry. I started reading from the early times and continue. To me your blog has gotten much better as it has matured. Thank you for the many excellent thoughts.

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

You’re quite welcome Barney, thanks for being a long-time reader.

24. Bruce August 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm #

Excellent presentation of sincere concepts of being whole, honest and true with one’s self.

Thanks for your openness to what life should really be – open, honest and fulfilling.

Keep on! We’re right behind you.

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:02 pm #

You’re welcome Bruce. Honesty is important to me and something I feel is lacking in most internet spaces.

25. Arden | The-Ex-Expat August 2, 2017 at 7:02 pm #

Although I started following your blog for its “RV-ness” and still enjoy that, I thought your posts on your poi retreat were fascinating as well as the recent ones on your backpacking trip. I think you’ve found a wonderful balance and as everyone is affirming — writing what’s true for you is what most people will want to read. The few who don’t will drift off, and that’s fine. Others are likely to take their place.
    Arden | The-Ex-Expat recently posted..Hummers and HailMy Profile

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:04 pm #

Thanks for the kind words Arden.

26. Suzanne August 2, 2017 at 8:30 pm #

Becky,
    I agree with Jerry Minchey. I love ALL the things you write about. I can’t wait to hear how your trip was in Presque Isle.
    I am going to the U.P. myself next week with family and love it there!
    I hope someday to get to Presque Isle. My husband and I have done a few backpacking trips..but that seems like the ultimate!
    Thank you for being true to yourself and can’t wait for for your next blog!
    Suzanne

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:07 pm #

Isle Royale actually Suzanne, same general area though. ๐Ÿ™‚ I had to look up Presque Isle to make sure they weren’t the same thing and it looks very pretty too!

It certainly was a pretty epic backpacking experience, first travelogue goes up today!

27. Mr Wheat August 2, 2017 at 8:44 pm #

One more who enjoys your non-RV posts and encourages you to keep on writing them.

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:07 pm #

Thanks Mr Wheat.

28. bob f. August 2, 2017 at 9:06 pm #

thank you for all your writing. it can inspire
    us to challenge ourselves.
    thank you for all your passions.

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

You’re welcome Bob.

29. Mush August 3, 2017 at 10:05 am #

Ditto to all the other comments. Keep on being you! That is what we โค๏ธ love. Til we meet again…
    Hugs
    Mush

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

Hope your summer travels are going well Mush! Hugs.

• Mush August 5, 2017 at 2:11 pm #

Sounds like you are having tons of fun! I have two of my six grandkids with me for 6 weeks (culminating with the total eclipse -they live in Eugene) We are currently in Washington and finally got away from the triple digit weather two days ago๐Ÿ˜ฒHeaded for the coast and some lower temps๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Becky August 5, 2017 at 2:51 pm #

I’ve heard about that heat wave, not pleasant! Glad you escaped the worst of it and have fun with the grandkids!

30. S. Kaeseman August 3, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

Becky, keep enjoying your life the way you want to, I am having a Blast reading about all your adventures, hobbies, jobs, lazy days, friends, and all. Please keep it coming. I may not reply often, but I hope to be a faithful reader as long as you post/blog or until I get to go full timing with my wife after she retires, God willing.
    With Respect and Appreciation,
    S. Kaeseman

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:09 pm #

I hope you don’t have to wait too long to go full-timing S, thanks for following along!

31. Geybie August 4, 2017 at 8:09 am #

Awesome post! I’m not an RVer. I’m not a travel blogger either. I’m a book blogger. But I love watching and reading about traveling especially those who live unique lifestyles. If I lived in a country that has RVs I would do in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I don’t. I do really appreciate people who live in RVs/Vans. Living their dreams. The dream I can only dream. I live my dream through books but sometimes I dream about this kind of lifestyle since I love the freedom.

Keep doing what you love, no matter what people think. Live your passion. Thank you for sharing this post. It’s SO inspiring. โค๏ธ

• Becky August 4, 2017 at 1:11 pm #

I hope someday you take the opportunity to go RVing Geybie, even if you can’t in your own country, you could always travel to one where it’s possible? Best of luck to you and thanks for following along!

32. Terry August 4, 2017 at 8:03 pm #

Hey Becky keep on doing what you writing about weather it is RV assoiated or not. I think I told you I like your writing style when I read your blog it is like you are setting across the table from me.

• Becky August 5, 2017 at 2:49 pm #

Glad you’re enjoying IO Terry, thanks.

33. Jim August 5, 2017 at 8:00 pm #

Here’s what you are Becky. You are the Poet Laureate of the RV world. Readership reaction or not, trust me, you are good at that aspect of your writings.

For myself, I’m more interested in why people think what they do rather than what they think. The engineering behind the thought is much more interesting than the thought itself.

And you go into the nerdy details of the thought.

If doing this causes a problem with IO readership, start another website and send us the link. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Becky August 7, 2017 at 9:05 am #

Haha, will do Jim, thanks.

34. Christine Humphrey August 7, 2017 at 6:38 pm #

Hi, Beckie I don’t comment much; you are such a well-rounded person with many interests that are enjoyable for us to hear about! So please continue learning and sharing and remember that many folks may be away on vacation this time of year and followers will catch back up again this fall! Thanks for caring!

• Becky August 8, 2017 at 12:08 pm #

Well, thanks for coming out of the woodwork and commenting Christine!

35. Anne August 10, 2017 at 8:54 am #

Hi Becky! I read your blog *because* it is different. I loved your series on the poi dancing retreat, even (or especially) since I had never heard of it before. Those kind of posts give me a better picture of who you are. So please keep doing what makes you happy.

• Becky August 12, 2017 at 12:44 pm #

Thanks Anne and I’m glad you’re continuing to enjoy IO. ๐Ÿ™‚

36. Pam August 13, 2017 at 11:38 am #

Oh you are a breath of fresh air. I am so thankful that I found your site via cheapRving.com. Finally someone who gets it. I too am on my journey to be my authentic self and wow what a ride it has been. I am about to become homeless on purpose–I am preparing my car as we speak and I am going to just do me and vlog and blog about it of course ๐Ÿ™‚

xoxo
    Pam

• Becky August 13, 2017 at 1:42 pm #

Welcome to IO Pam and glad to have you here!

Travel expands the mind and teaches you so much about yourself. It’s a very educational experience, even if it isn’t always easy and fun. Best of luck to you and I hope the transition goes smoothly!