The Grass is Not Always Greener

It never ceases to amaze me how much variety there is in this wonderful lifestyle. I hang out with folks in large motorcoaches with all the bells and whistles, and those who’ve converted old vans to the purpose. And by and large, both are happy with their decision to hit the road, no matter the difference in how.

My rig is technically self-contained, but as I never use the shower or water heater and have limited space and less of the amenities of a bigger RV, when I’m in gatherings with other RVers (when I meet up with the Xscapers for instance) what I do feels a lot more like camping. I don’t have a furnace and so stay warm with a sleeping bag at night. I need to monitor my power usage closely because when I’m boondocking I’m surviving on 100 watts.

But when I stay with the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous folks in Quartzsite, my Casita feels like a mansion. I can cook indoors in all types of weather and can relax at my dinette without everyone being able to see what I’m doing.

It’s all a matter of perspective. At some point during your RVing journey you’ll probably wish you could take a different approach: going bigger or smaller, a switch between tow-able or drive-able, a different layout perhaps… the grass is always greener on the other side. And maybe you’ll have the funds to do it and maybe you won’t.

If you don’t right now, try not to get too caught up in it. We always want what we don’t have, even those with a lot of resources always wish for more.

Sometimes, being a satisfied full-timer is learning about what works best for you and saving up to making the switch. But sometimes it’s realizing that the grass is not always greener on the other side, and learning to be satisfied with what you have.

Enjoy what you just read? Doing your Amazon shopping using my affiliate link is a great way to show your support. Thank you!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , ,

18 Responses to The Grass is Not Always Greener

1. John July 25, 2017 at 3:05 pm #

Well said. Appreciating what you have is a key to happiness.

Sure, to the extent possible, set yourself up for success by avoiding those things that personally bug you and arrange to have what you most enjoy (nature, freedom, wifi, or whatever).

But much of it is about enjoy what you have and not worrying about what could be better. Though if it is something you can adjust – if you really are always frustrated in limited power add more solar… – making those adjustments as you learn is wise.
    John recently posted..Making Money as a Nomad in the USAMy Profile

2. Sue Davis July 25, 2017 at 7:43 pm #

In my time on this earth, I have come to value the wisdom of the saying, “be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!”. Bigger and more comes with a price that is not always measured in $$$$$.

3. Robin July 25, 2017 at 9:02 pm #

💜

4. Mike Neri July 26, 2017 at 4:44 am #

I’m 71 yo, alive and well, with non OEM personal plumbing ☺️. I tapped into Becky sometime back and I fully realize she’s a Whispering Guide to us who would like to, want to, need to, MUST, WTFU!
    Go Becky!

5. Rodolfo M Tenorio July 26, 2017 at 5:07 am #

Wise words and not only applicable to rving. In my case, the older I get the more I believe that less is more. Cheers!

6. ann cabezas creed July 26, 2017 at 5:11 am #

great news and great advice. hope to hit the road for “western bound” in a casita with my husband. Come September. Enjoy and be careful on the hike. Post a lot of photos.
    regards, ann cabezas creed

7. Y Knowles July 26, 2017 at 6:25 am #

Well stated. I can never afford a Class C and my husband has no interest in camping. I could just give up on my dream, but I’m not. I’m just going to alter my dream to fit my reality and be happy with that. I DO have a minivan and I’m in the process of converting it to a camper van. I won’t be able to go out West for many years, but I’m starting small with solo weekend trips locally on the East coast. My first one is this Sept. I can’t wait!! Thanks for all you post. It is very inspiring and helpful.

8. Judith July 26, 2017 at 9:34 am #

This full time lifestyle has its advantages and disadvantages. I would love to have a different kind of rig but I know we have to live within our means. Our truck has issues and goes into the shop today, it is good to have the funds for that. I am learning, at the age of 69, I can’t have everything I want, and to be happy with what I have, as there are many who have less.

9. Rob July 26, 2017 at 10:17 am #

Hot water out of the tap is a wondrous thing. We turn ours on for 15 min or so then turn it off & there is enough for dishes or hot washrag cleaning at night..

10. Tom July 26, 2017 at 10:21 am #

Life is great enjoy everything the you have experience all you can and carry on .

11. David Michael July 27, 2017 at 10:43 am #

Great observations. We full-timed in our 27 foot Lazy Daze Class C for seven years and loved it. Now that we are in our eighties, we downsized to a new 17 foot Promaster Cargo Van (high top) this past year and converted it into a camper. No water heater, no propane, a manual water faucet, no shower, but plenty of solar….and two comfy beds, a great galley, porta potti, and the ability to go and park anywhere (almost). Just finished our first two month trip across country to attend 60th high school reunion. The camping was great, especially in US Forest Service sites with average cost of $8 for seniors. Please, please, protect ouf public lands, They are soooooo precious. What great fun. Love, love, love our van! Happy Travels!

• Rodolfo M Tenorio July 27, 2017 at 12:19 pm #

Great comment, love your attitude and zest for life. Cheers!

12. Terri July 27, 2017 at 10:50 am #

Oh my god, this is SO true. It’s something I have always dealt with. When i was in school, I would look at people on the T and think, wouldn’t it be nice to just have a set schedule every day, 9-5, and not constantly be worrying about an assignment being due? And then when I had a full time job, I would look wistfully at the students and think that they didn’t know how good they had it, LOL.

When I lived in the fith wheel, I longed for something smaller, or maybe even an apartment because it was much more efficient when it came to heating and cooling. And now that I am in an apartment, I admit I wistfully look at the scamps and casitas and cute little teardrops I see on the road.

But I do try to practice appreciation for what I have. The city of ABQ has many homeless folks, and seeing them every day reminds me to be grateful that I have a job and a roof over my head and can afford to put food on the table (and the floor, for my furballs.)

You are such an old soul, Becky. I wish I had had half the knowledge you already have now, when I was your age.
    Terri recently posted..An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cureMy Profile

13. Captn John July 27, 2017 at 3:16 pm #

I’m 69 and just sold the 35′ 5th wheel. We UPsized to 43′ as we continue to travel and spend more time exploring. One day I’ll be jammed in a box so I’ll be as comfortable as possible now.

14. Sherry Currently in Acadia July 27, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

10 days on Isle Royale is unbelievable. How did you manage that? Hope the mosquitoes don’t carry you away
    Sherry Currently in Acadia recently posted..Celebrating a Proud HeritageMy Profile

15. Becky July 31, 2017 at 9:23 pm #

Back from Isle Royale now and catching up on comments, thank you all for sharing! For those wondering how the trip went, the first of those posts will hopefully be ready by Friday.

16. Scott Baldassari August 12, 2017 at 5:16 am #

Contentment is not having everything you want..
    It is being happy with everything you have.

• Becky August 12, 2017 at 12:37 pm #