What Kills Dreams (And What Saves Them)

Let’s talk for a moment about what kills dreams.

Fear kills dreams. “I worry that this won’t work out, it’s safer not to try.”

Practicality kills dreams. “This seems like an unrealistic goal, I better scale it down to something easier.”

Uncertainty kills dreams. “I don’t know how I’m going to do this, I’ll just wait until I have all the answers.”

Overwhelm kills dreams. “I was going to do this, but I don’t even know where to start.”

Conformity kills dreams. “What would other people say about me if I decided to do this.”

Busyness kills dreams. “I want to do this, but I don’t have time.”

Doubt kills dreams. “What if I’m not good enough to pull this off?”

Rationalization kills dreams. “Well, what I’m doing now isn’t SO bad, maybe I don’t need to do this after all.”

Routine kills dreams. “I think about doing this, someday I’ll look into it.”

Now let’s talk about what’s more important: what SAVES dreams.

It’s believing in yourself. Which sounds corny, it’s a phrase that’s been overused. But I’m not just talking about some new age mind-over-matter ‘if you believe in yourself you can do anything’ fluff. When I say belief in yourself, I mean belief that you have the fortitude to overcome the obstacles listed above.

It’s believing that the fear, doubt, overwhelm, and uncertainty surrounding big dreams won’t be insurmountable. That the end result will justify both the effort you’ll have to put in, and the ridicule you’ll get from others who are too afraid to think for themselves. That your dream isn’t impractical or too expensive. That you have what it takes.

If you have big dreams are worried about overcoming these nine dream killers, take a look at The Little Guide to Dreaming Big, now available in print. Because with the right guidance and support, everything becomes easier. Because living your dreams isn’t a privilege reserved for just a lucky or talented few, it’s obtainable by everyone, no matter your past or current circumstances.

Life’s too short not to spend it doing something you love.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, ,

17 Responses to What Kills Dreams (And What Saves Them)

1. Ethan July 7, 2017 at 3:33 pm #

Thank you. This is exactly what I need! I need to believe in myself!

2. Sue Davis July 7, 2017 at 10:15 pm #

If you think you can, or you think you can’t………you’re right”

3. Gypsy July 8, 2017 at 4:30 am #

The timing of this post is uncanny!
    Thanks!

4. Norm H. July 8, 2017 at 5:35 am #

Wise words. Thanks.

5. Don July 8, 2017 at 6:50 am #

All true. Very inspirational and well written. You know what else kills dreams? Finding out that your #1 priority, your life partner, has totally different priorities than previously professed once the RV is bought and the realities of being away from the home nest materialize.That dreams you built together over a lifetime (or so you thought) are actually a second, third or even fourth priority once the opportunity actually presents itself. The ultimate dream killer.

6. MnDreamer July 8, 2017 at 7:04 am #

You did it again, Becky! You delivered the message I needed today. Thank you. (Hope you are having fun in BC- can’t wait to read about it.)

7. g. buyea July 8, 2017 at 3:09 pm #

Very well stated. Have been a follower, though I never comment, since I found out about you on Bob Wells Blog. Have truly enjoyed your adventures. Thanks.

8. Mike and Gerri July 8, 2017 at 3:20 pm #

Well said!!!!

9. Hawk July 8, 2017 at 4:05 pm #

Thanks Becky! I hit the road in my RV camper VERY recently.

My current challenge: I need a job. I applied to seasonal customer service positions
    but maybe panic crept in while I wasn’t looking. AND, I haven’t done customer service since college — 20 years ago!!!

So I’m unemployed since June 23. It feels like forever! But that’s only 2 FREAKIN’ weeks. Why does it feel like 2 months?!

Anyway, good news. I just checked my email. And I got phone interview! Wheeeee!

Ok, well, even if I don’t get this job — there is still hope. REMEMBER everyone about hope. Jump off the cliff and your parachute will open!

10. Tom July 9, 2017 at 11:15 am #

Wise beyond your years. I am sure this helped a lot of people.

11. Doug Dean July 9, 2017 at 3:58 pm #

Very timely, Becky. I am thinking about making a little extra cash by working. I have been retired several years (age 71) but decided I wanted to try something new to stretch the brain and augment by fun currency. Thanks for the positive vives!

12. Agee July 9, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

This was a great and timely post. I was on my first glamping trip in a rented minivan while reading this, and it helped reassure me that I was doing the right thing for ME. Thank you for sharing.

13. Rodolfo Tenorio July 10, 2017 at 5:58 am #

Great message. Starting one step at the time and having small mini goals along the way may help accomplish the big dream and not be overwhelmed. Thanks

14. Jen Taylor July 10, 2017 at 10:32 am #

This hit home with my heart and soul. Thank you for posting.

15. Becky July 10, 2017 at 4:02 pm #

I’m back from Canada!

Thank you all for your kind words and I’m glad you enjoyed this article. This topic is very near and dear to me and it warms my heart to know that my words help inspire others to make changes to align their life more with their dreams.

Whatever dream you’re pursuing right now, I wish you all the best. The world needs more people who are ecstatic about their lives, as people who feel fulfilled naturally go on to improve the lives of others. Everyone benefits.

16. Richard August 25, 2017 at 12:25 pm #

Very well said, Becky. A noted psychiatrist said, “Happiness is the by-product of successful living.” Another wise person said, “A dream is just a dream; a GOAL is a dream…with a deadline.” And Tony Robbins once told me that when faced with a momentous decision, we need to ask ourselves two questions: 1.) What’s the worst that could happen & can we handle that? 2) What’s the best that could happen, & can we handle THAT? Isn’t it amazing how many people achieve their dreams, their success in their chosen field, their accolades, the (often) resulting wealth; yet, they cannot “handle it,” and end it all. Your thoughts are an inspiration; please continue.

• Becky August 25, 2017 at 8:34 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed this Richard and I love that quote, I’ve heard it before and can’t remember who it’s from but it really rang true with me at the time and still does. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!