Small Town Fun and Upcoming Adventures

As a benefit of visiting someone with a house, I currently have access to a heavy duty vacuum cleaner, something that would be very impractical for me to carry around in my little RV. On Tuesday the 13th I do a thorough dusting and cleaning, using long attachments on the vacuum to get the carpet on the walls and ceiling. For those thinking of a Casita, cleaning the carpet is a bit awkward, but still a pretty quick job – I wouldn’t count it against the benefits of owning one. Plus, it doesn’t need to be vacuumed nearly as often as a carpeted floor.

I think I’ve finally gotten all the sand out. A couple months ago I drove through a dune field during a windstorm (don’t recommend it) and I’ve been carrying around part of California ever since. The shopvac does the trick.

It’s old news now, but I have an article in the May/June issue of Escapees Magazine about dispelling the three biggest fears of solo RVing, which I finally got to see when I picked up my mail in South Dakota on the way to my parents’. If you’re an Escapees member and haven’t looked at it yet, you should! You do need to be a member to get the magazine. If you’re not a member and would like more info on solo RVing, I have plenty of free articles that you can read on the Resources page of IO, and also a guide I wrote on the subject that goes into more depth.

Thursday the 15th is a relaxing day. I go down to the Wisconsin River and sit by the shore and read. And use my mini phone tripod to take pictures of myself. As a solo traveler, this little thing has been invaluable for getting photos for the blog. It’s small enough to fit in a backpack or my purse and holds my phone securely. And it’s quite inexpensive, always good for the RVer on a budget. This cheaper model doesn’t have a remote shutter button, but more expensive ones do if you’re looking for an all-inclusive solution.

This photo looks very idyllic, the reality is a bit different. There’s been a mayfly hatch on the water and the flying insects are all over. You need to be careful to brush them off of surfaces before sitting down, they make a pretty big mess when squished. Not what you think of when you think of a day by the water, but rarely does the reality of travel exactly match the imagination. I end up with only one mayfly splotch on my pants. Not bad.

Saturday the 17th is a festival day. My brother drives over from La Crosse and the whole family goes down in the afternoon to the 10th annual Cranberry Blossom Festival. There’s a carnival, craft show, classic car show, and live music going on today.

If you want to really get a feel for the places you visit while traveling, attend a local festival. Most communities go all out for them, and Rapids is no exception. We enjoy several local bands from 2 pm until after 9 pm.

Lastly, an announcement about my next adventure! On the 27th of this month I’m flying to Vancouver for a poi retreat on a remote island in the Strait of Georgia. I’ll be mostly out of touch from the 28th to July 8th as there’s no cell signal on the island and the closest WiFi is quite a walk from the retreat.

This will be my first real vacation from IO since I started blogging in 2011 but no worries about missing your IO fix. I’ve been writing up extra blog posts that will be going out twice a week as usual while I’m gone. And when I get back to civilization again, I’ll have a lot to share! The island is beautiful and I’ll be doing plenty of hiking. I’ll be posting more details as the date gets closer.

The general vicinity of the place I’ll be visiting. Photo credit: Paxson Woelber

Enjoy what you just read? Doing your Amazon shopping using my affiliate link is a great way to show your support. Thank you!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , ,

16 Responses to Small Town Fun and Upcoming Adventures

1. Cathy June 19, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

Hi, sorry to show my ignorance but what is poi?
    Have a nice vacation!

2. Rhonda June 20, 2017 at 6:22 am #

While we will most likely never meet in person, Becky, I’d like you to know how much I enjoy your blog and posts; a great measure due to the fact that you are so genuine in the sharing of your life and adventures with folks like me who dream of such endeavors. I follow several travelers on YT and I can’t wait to see your channel up and running. I am excited about watching your vid on performing poi! I also sit here in happiness for you that you will soon be going on your first *real* vacation soon. Have a wonderfully relaxing time!

• Becky June 20, 2017 at 8:10 am #

Thanks Rhonda, I’m going to enjoy my trip and I’m looking forward to sharing videos with you all

I always get the warm fuzzies when people comment on how IO has helped and inspired them, I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Best of luck to you, I hope you get to travel yourself soon!

3. Sunny Harvy June 20, 2017 at 10:25 am #

That area of BC is beautiful! Will you have time to look around beyond the island? We spent a month on Vancouver Island and later discovered the Sunshine Coast just up the road from Vancouver. https://travelswithharvy.com/2015/10/08/a-week-of-sun-on-bcs-sunshine-coast/

• Becky June 21, 2017 at 3:38 pm #

Nope Sunny, I’m there just for the retreat this time. I do plan to explore Canada more fully at a later date. πŸ™‚

4. Michael June 20, 2017 at 2:48 pm #

I looked at some YT vids after your post with the picture of you poi dancing. Really interesting and looks like a lot of fun. Enjoy your retreat, have fun and tells us about it! An aside, I use the long hosed vacs at car washes when my rig needs to be tided up. Works!

• Becky June 21, 2017 at 3:41 pm #

It is a lot of fun Michael! When my YouTube channel goes up I’ll have videos of me poi spinning on there, but I’m working on getting the print edition of my two books up first.

Of course I’ll let you all know all about it when I get back. πŸ™‚

I’ve used those quarter vacuums in the Casita as well, so handy!

5. Jodee Gravel June 20, 2017 at 10:10 pm #

Always feel so good after a deep cleaning!! Nice to have the river close by to enjoy. Can’t wait to hear about the retreat. My daughter-in-law spins poi and I know she would love that.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Imitation is the Greatest Form of FlatteryMy Profile

• Becky June 21, 2017 at 3:47 pm #

It sure is nice to have water nearby Jodee.

6. RGupnorth June 21, 2017 at 4:57 am #

Just got back from a kayak trip on the water around Isle Royale NP – no cell service, no internet for 5 days – it was nice for a change not to have access – so enjoy your vacation.

• Becky June 21, 2017 at 3:49 pm #

Thanks RG. I’ll be backpacking on Isle Royale next month. πŸ™‚

7. RGupnorth June 21, 2017 at 7:00 pm #

Take a bug net. They were just starting inland while I was there. We spent most of our
    time on the water, but did hike 5 miles on the Greenstone.

• Becky June 24, 2017 at 8:11 pm #

Yep I’m on it..

8. Jimmy June 21, 2017 at 7:59 pm #

Good News…..apparently the folks at Escapees are offering your article as a freebie. For now, at any rate. @7pm PDT 6.21.17……258 hits so far…..that’s bound to bring in new readers….=)

• Becky June 24, 2017 at 8:11 pm #

Good catch Jimmy, thanks for sharing.