Happiness Is An Open Road

A couple days ago I posted on social media that rainy days were made for curling up indoors with a pen and a map and plotting your next adventure. As it turns out, they’re also for thinking up silly RVing games.

Maybe two months or so ago, I finally got a shower after a long boondocking stint (I don’t use the shower in my Casita). I thought to myself, “Happiness is a long shower in a clean bathroom.”, and the phrase stuck with me.

So while yesterday’s thunderstorms were rolling through, keeping me cooped up inside, I thought about other RV related ‘Happiness is’ sayings and wrote some down:

Happiness is:

• A long shower in a clean bathroom.
  • No leaks on a rainy day.

• Stumbling upon an excellent restaurant.
  • Campground WiFi that actually works.
  • Meeting up with friends you haven’t seen in years.
  • Making new friends.
  • A rest stop just when you need one.
  • Considerate neighbors.
  • Laughter around a campfire.
  • Magnificent views that constantly change.
  • Evening happy hour.
  • Tailwinds on a travel day.
  • Learning more about the world and yourself.
  • Returning to your favorite spot.
  • Discovering a new favorite spot.
  • Clear night skies with endless stars.
  • Perfect photography conditions.

• A strong phone signal.
  • Sunrise with a cup of coffee.
  • Serendipitous encounters.
  • Kicking back in a comfy chair.
  • Leaning into adversity and succeeding.
  • Cheap gas prices.
  • Freedom to be where you need to be.

• Happiness is an open road.

Want to play? Make your own ‘Happiness is’ sayings in the comments section below (for e-mail subscribers, you can reach the comments section by clicking the dark gray ‘View/Comment’ button at the end of this post). There’s a lot to be happy about when you’re an RVer!

Enjoy what you just read? Doing your Amazon shopping using my affiliate link is a great way to show your support. Thank you!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, ,

40 Responses to Happiness Is An Open Road

1. Ron June 15, 2017 at 3:36 pm #

Happiness is reading your new blog posts.

(Now that should be good for a few brownie points)

• Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:21 pm #

Haha, I’ll add the points to your account Ron. 😉

2. Kelly June 15, 2017 at 4:43 pm #

Happiness is meeting up with you again! 🙂

• Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:21 pm #

Yeeeees! I’m so jealous of your latest Instagram pics.

3. Jerryc June 15, 2017 at 6:07 pm #

Happiness is just being on the road, which can lead to all the ones you listed. Really enjoy reading your blog. So glad you dream of full timing came true for you.

• Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:23 pm #

I’m glad you’re enjoying IO Jerry! Thanks for following along.

4. Kevin June 15, 2017 at 7:05 pm #

Happiness is being around a woman who showers and smells good, and not being around a woman who smells like a two week old dirty sock.

5. Regis June 15, 2017 at 7:19 pm #

A Campground biking distance from a bike trail that leads to a small town with a coffeehouse or a craft brewery.

• Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:28 pm #

I need to figure out a better way to carry my bike so I can bring it with me again.

• Reine in Plano (when not camping) June 16, 2017 at 4:57 pm #

It’s a budget item you probably want to save for but I highly recommend the OMW Receiver Hitch (www.perfectcasita.com) and a trailer rated bike rack. The Receiver Hitch is $259 plus installation unless you can find a friend to install it for you. Be sure you get an RV rated bike rack. We didn’t and had to have a friend do some welding to strengthen it.

• Jimmy June 16, 2017 at 7:54 pm #

1. Throw it in the back of your pick up. With quick-release front wheel it doesn’t take up much space. I used to fit my standard-sized mountain bike in the trunk of my Camry.

2. Stow it in the Casita when travelling. Secure it with bungie cords when on the road so it doesn’t bang around. I’m sure you’d find something acceptable with a little fiddling and trial-and-error.

When you reach your destination,the bike is the first thing out of the rig, and the last to go in when you break camp. (Obviously lock and/or protect from elements with a bike cover as needed, but those are pretty minor details).

You’re welcome…..=) Happy biking! LOL LOL

• Becky June 17, 2017 at 8:22 am #

Jimmy and Reine,

Back of the truck doesn’t work for me with the amount of stuff I store back there, tried it for 3 months but it just got to be too big of a pain which is why I left it behind. Neither would I want it in Cas because that would make stopping at rest stops to cook etc. a hassle.

I’ll probably need to get a hitch receiver as Reine mentioned. Someday.

• Jimmy June 17, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

I ain’t giving up that easy, kid! LOL………..

So you’ve been down those two paths. Understood. Here’s a third – an adapter that bolts onto the A-frame at the tongue, over the propane tank. “Bike Bunk” is one I found…….somewhat cheaper than the hitch receiver (Though still seems to be expensive for a few pieces of fabricated metal…ahh well.) There’s gotta be others out there. Advantage there is that you are not “growing longer” by attaching to rear of trailer. Besides, you’re looking to haul ONE bike……not four. Just an idea….

6. Jodee Gravel June 15, 2017 at 9:35 pm #

Great list – yes to all of them.

I’d add

Quiet neighbors.

A competent RV technician.

Small towns you want to return to.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Between the Rain DropsMy Profile

• Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:29 pm #

Competent RV techs for sure!

7. Gerri & Mike June 15, 2017 at 9:39 pm #

Happiness is sitting on the patio under the awning reading a really good book on a beautiful day!!
    Gerri & Mike recently posted..Update on our FurbabyMy Profile

8. 2 Hearts & 2 Wheels June 16, 2017 at 5:39 am #

Just a few of mine:
    Watching a pair of eagles soaring above you from the back of a motorcycle.
    The smell of cool rain on warm asphalt
    Hugs from someone you haven’t seen in a long time
    Snuggling

Thanks for the wonderful post. You’ve made a day that didn’t start out well a whole lot better. 🙂

• Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:31 pm #

Aww, glad this made your day brighter!

9. Vern Modeland June 16, 2017 at 5:51 am #

Happiness — for an old RV-er — is good health and the energy to enjoy it.

10. Jodie & Mike June 16, 2017 at 6:05 am #

Happiness is meeting the RV blogger you follow!

We met you at Amazon-Haslet, TX last fall.

• Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:32 pm #

11. Jeff June 16, 2017 at 6:41 am #

Happiness is being alone in the middle of nowhere so I can play my guitar poorly and sing loudly off-key for as long as I want.

12. Rhonda June 16, 2017 at 7:13 am #

Happpiness is discovering the best meat and three diner in a small town where locals congregate. A place where tummies can be filled with plain but yummy food and souls can be filled from the laughter of the tall tales being spun from every table.

• Terry June 16, 2017 at 9:28 pm #

The meat & three small town dimer always did it for me whenever I could find a place to park my 18 wheeler.

13. Rick June 16, 2017 at 11:33 am #

Simple Joys to make life simple.

14. Mush June 16, 2017 at 12:29 pm #

Happiness is realizing Becky is at the same boondock as you😘 Always love be to see your smiling face. Til we meet again I will rely on your awesome blog posts!

• Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:32 pm #

Yes Mush hopefully our paths will cross again soon! Always fun to hang out with you.

15. Ernesto Q June 16, 2017 at 1:24 pm #

Becky your composition is getting better and better. Sunset through Casita’s windows is outstanding, consider posting on website that sell images.

16. Norm Harebottle June 16, 2017 at 1:52 pm #

A fresh mountain breeze in the pine trees on a good hiking trail in the Sierra.
    The smell of an Arizona rainstorm.
    Fireflies on a humid Southern evening.

Always: Becky’s welcome posts. 🙂
    Norm Harebottle recently posted..The Last HoorahMy Profile

17. Becky June 16, 2017 at 2:34 pm #

Thanks for sharing everyone! These are some great ‘Happiness is’ quotes, I know my day was made brighter by reading all your contributions. 🙂

Keep ’em coming!

18. Reine in Plano (when not camping) June 16, 2017 at 5:02 pm #

Happiness is sleeping in your OWN bed.
    And since we’re not full-timers: Happiness is an all inclusive vacation that costs less than $75 per day.

19. Ed V. June 16, 2017 at 6:06 pm #

Happiness is reading your new blogs and knowing that in 4-6 years I will be joining you and the others on the open road. I can’t wait. Keep up the good work!!

20. Park Kitchings June 17, 2017 at 7:51 am #

A free dump station when you need it most.

21. Becky June 17, 2017 at 8:24 am #

Thanks for sharing Reine, Ed, and Park!

22. Deborah Knight June 17, 2017 at 12:27 pm #

Happiness is anything that makes you smile on the inside. Happiness is also waking up and knowing you don’t have to go to work (from a recent retiree)!

23. Teresa June 17, 2017 at 1:54 pm #

Happiness is checking on the mail and not having any.

24. Rena McClain June 18, 2017 at 10:06 am #

Happiness is sitting with a cool breeze and the beautiful lake to look at.

Meeting new unexpected friends.

Trying kayaking and falling in love.

Reading your blog and planning for when I can go full time.

Finding G-d’s peace in the beauty around you.

25. Linda Sand June 18, 2017 at 5:01 pm #

a bug-free campsite
    all dogs being on leash
    no leftover dog deposits
    a trash-free fire ring
    level parking
    a handicapped parking spot my extended van will fit into so I can buy more groceries than my TravelScoot will carry

So much to be grateful for.

26. Becky June 19, 2017 at 6:42 pm #

Thanks for sharing everyone!

27. Jose June 21, 2017 at 1:20 pm #

Happiness is sitting by the Kern River with my feet in the water on a hot day