The Vehicle Replacement Fund

Last fall I experienced my first vehicle break-down since hitting the road, and repairs ended up costing more than my truck was worth. The whole ordeal made me rethink the idea of an emergency fund and ultimately, expand on it.

Most experienced full-timers tote how important it is to have an emergency fund and I do agree. I’m very glad I had mine as it more than covered the repair bill, but while $6,000 fixes a lot of things, it would not have been enough to replace Bertha with a vehicle similar to what I had when I started full-timing (she cost $10,500 in 2011 with 87k miles).

At 16 years old and with 172k miles, Bertha is no spring chicken

I got lucky that I actually did have enough where I could have replaced Bertha if I’d wanted to. Repairing made more sense in this particular situation, but it was an option. An option I wouldn’t have had had I been relying on an emergency fund alone.

Being a saver by nature, I’d been collecting the money from birthday and Christmas presents from my parents and the extra saved after my particularly good earning year in 2015 – essentially treating it as a secondary emergency fund. In my mind I hadn’t called it a vehicle replacement fund, I’d just known I’d find a good use for that money someday. A couple readers chimed in on my original posts about the break-down with the idea of a vehicle replacement fund, which really resonated with me.

There are several ways a replacement fund could work, but what I’ve tentatively decided on for myself is this: I’d keep enough set aside so that it, together with my emergency fund, could replace either the Casita or truck.

Bertha pulls Cas towards the Sierra Mountains in California

Some people might want enough set aside to replace both vehicle and RV, but Casitas last pretty much forever as long as they’re taken care of and I’ve already replaced the most expensive thing that can fail – the fridge (plus I’m still toying with the idea of downsizing to something smaller at some point). I’m more concerned about the truck, which will hopefully have a couple more good years in it now that the head gaskets have been replaced, but at 172k miles it’s only a matter of time until something else expensive gives out. In the event of an catastrophic accident, my Casita has full-timers insurance that will replace it at the price I bought it for ($9,000) and not the amount it’s valued at currently, this fund is more about end-of-life replacement.

Is a vehicle replacement fund necessary for full-timing? I’d say it depends on a lot of factors, such as how new your equipment is, how long you plan on being on the road, how long you feel comfortable driving a vehicle before replacing it, and how handy you are.

I’m friends with a vandweller whose vehicle was made the year I was born. She’s good at mechanical work and even though she regularly spends more on repairs than the van is worth, she loves her van and enjoys the challenging of fixing it. She bought it for $1,000 three years ago and has lived in it since then and it’s worth more now that it was upon purchase after the improvements she’s made. For her situation, she has a big enough emergency fund to replace the cost of the vehicle easily and having a separate balance for vehicle replacement would be silly.

Pulled over along Beartooth Highway in Montana

For my situation and the way I full-time, it makes more sense.

I don’t like fixing things myself and while I handled being stranded pretty well, it certainly wasn’t my favorite day on the road. I’d rather replace a vehicle when it gets to the point of becoming unreliable and not have to worry about being stranded again, instead of finding joy in seeing how long I can keep something running. Many people like risks even less than I do and would want to replace their vehicle after it reaches a certain age, has a certain number of miles, or when it stops looking nice.

It’s a matter of preference and there definitely is no one-size-fits-all solution to the problem of aging equipment, but I feel better having enough squirreled away to know that I won’t be forced off the road when Bertha is no longer drivable. New full-timers will want to give some thought to this idea even if their equipment is newer because it takes time to save up enough money to replace a vehicle. If you’re going to have one, it’s better to start saving sooner than later.

Bertha and Cas at sunrise in front of Saddle Mountain in Arizona

I appreciate every Amazon purchase made using my affiliate link. Thank you!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , ,

47 Responses to The Vehicle Replacement Fund

1. Stephanie March 2, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

Becky,
    Great post. I remember my Dad always saying, you either make payments or you pay for repairs. One way or the other, you are going to pay. If you can afford to pay cash for a replacement, you still have to deal with repairs if it is an older/used model. He always stressed getting out when the vehicle still had some value, even if you have costly repairs…he also said, unless you buy newer with a warranty you might be better of with what you have, at least you know what you have. If you buy used, you really don’t know what you are getting. I’ve read a ton of blogs where people bought a used vehicle and it turned out to be a lemon.That said, at some point, vehicles just reach their limit and have to replaced.
    I think it is great that you point out the reality that vehicles wear out, and unless you are a master mechanic they have to be replaced at some point.
    Have you looked to see what your truck is worth? You might be in a position to leverage it before it is worth nothing. Just a thought.
    Love your blog!
    Stephanie

• Becky March 2, 2017 at 5:27 pm #

Bertha is worth about $2,000 according to Kelly Blue Book, and I spent $3,750 for repairs in September. Selling her at this point would be a net loss, so I’m going to keep her until the next expensive thing fails – which hopefully will be a couple years out. In my opinion vehicles depreciate so fast that it makes sense to drive them until they give out, that’s what my Dad always believed and what he taught me and my brother. Just goes to show that there is no right way. πŸ™‚

Glad you’re enjoying IO Stephanie, thanks for reading!

• marijka March 2, 2017 at 6:54 pm #

My brother is (and my dad was) an expert with vehicles, so I’ve always relied on their help when buying used. Until my current mid-life crisis love-child (2008 FJ Cruiser), I’ve always happily driven a used car or truck. New loses value the moment you drive it off the lot, so I prefer to let someone else take that loss first. πŸ™‚ Anyway, if my brother isn’t available or I’m across the country, I would happily pay a mechanic $100 or so to give a vehicle a good once-over before I buy (free advice from Tom & Ray, if you’re familiar). But as Becky says, to each his own!

• Nicole March 4, 2017 at 3:55 am #

My concern with giving $100 for a mechanic to have a once-over is that I don’t trust mechanics anymore. I’ve been cheated to often by them. How I am suppose to believe the outcome of a once-over?

I have asked around for recommendation but it seems that the people I’ve asked feel the same way I do: the good old honest mechanics seems to be a thing of the past.

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 2:23 pm #

I got Bertha from a Car Max dealership on the recommendation of some other RVing friends of mine who bought a tow vehicle there. They’re suppose to be really thorough with inspections, but I had worries too Nicole since I’m not a mechanically gifted individual and have no way of knowing for sure if a vehicle is a lemon or not.

I’m sure there are horror stories out there about Car Max, but for what it’s worth I had a good experience. One thing though, you’ll pay more for a used vehicle from them than you would from an individual for sure and probably a smaller dealership as well. The name means something and they can charge a premium for it.

2. Kit March 2, 2017 at 6:08 pm #

I’m also a natural saver, I seem to have inherited it from my paternal grandparents who were a young couple during the Great Depression, nobody else in my family seems to have the trait, LOL! I only buy new vehicles after a bad first experience with something used. My strategy, though, is to save enough money to buy it cash, then buy it on payments… that way I am unlikely to fall behind on payments even if I temporarily have no income. I have also practiced strategic credit card use for over a decade, starting in college when I used 0% intro APR offers to pay my tuition. Since the only time I carry a balance is when the APR is 0%, I have never paid interest on a credit card, and I get tons of benefits like cash back. In addition to my savings, in an emergency I could also use my lines of credit.

• Becky March 3, 2017 at 9:58 am #

I realize now that this post has a flaw in it, as it assumes a person wants to avoid debt and payments to replace their vehicle. I always pay cash for my vehicles, feeling that debt would detract from the freedom of full-timing (you’d have to work more to cover those added expenses) but that’s my own opinion and not the only way to go. I’ll have to edit this post when I have time to state that.

Sounds like you have a good system that works for you Kit, that’s great!

3. Mary March 2, 2017 at 6:40 pm #

There’s no downside to saving.

• Becky March 3, 2017 at 9:58 am #

Nope.

4. Bobby March 2, 2017 at 8:02 pm #

Yeah I agree. Let’s say if u keep rig running on top then it’s good to keep longer. Very few keep vehicles run for a million miles and drive and run like new. When towing, can shorten vehicle s life Only things to keep it run longer to get oil changed regularly every 3,000 miles. Forget manufacturing recommendations like 5,000 miles. Transmission normally uses change fluid at 60-65,000 miles. Towing best do at 25-30,000 miles plus filter. At 60,000 miles can have transmission flushing if shop has machine. Brakes check often at same time while oil changes. Coolant can lasting to 60,000 miles. Some are last 100,000. Depending on what type your coolant on your vehicle. Seen 2 colors one is green and other is orange. That orange last 100k miles. Coolant hoses check often after 60k miles because its become aged. If feel soften, it’s time to replace soon before it will start leaks or burst. On diesel goes same. Because diesel can cost more on repairs. Diesel oil can last 5-7,000 miles change but as I was service technician formerly, I disagree, I rather to change at 3,000 like gasoline engines. It will help reduce costs to repairs in future on diesel.
    On engine replacement– range on cost. Older engine like 5.0, 5.8, 5.2, 5.9, 2.0, 4.0, 3.4, can be good prices. On newer engines like 4.7, 5.7, 5.3, 6.0, 6.8, etcs can be expensive. Older types are easy to repair and few computer controls. Newer has more computer controls and parts can be expensive. The company I have known about. Jasper engine and transmission company has good offer to replacement and warranty. The warranty offer 3 years/100,000 miles on engine/transmission/axles. Which is better than dealerships given 12 months/12,000 miles warranty as same as auto parts stores(oreilly, auto zone, etcs) offers. The company called mr. transmission has good warranty and nationwide warranty. Probably offer 36/36. I couldn’t remember for sure. You can check them out.
    Very recently I had my new used truck 2005 Ford F-150 super crew Lariat 4×4 5.4 V-8. Only had it for 4 months of ownership and going to have spark plugs replacement at 207,000 miles. It run good then plug broken and technician had to take head cylinder out but found more problems- timing chain guide broken, cam phaser bad, VVTs(various valves timing) replaced. Spend close to $4,000. If I had chosen engine replacement from Jasper. Would be close same as I spending but it’s ok. It will running good for another 100k miles then I will have jasper engine..
    On suspension does same thing. Keep check for wear and tear. Replacement soon as u suspect or find loosely. Well it can going on long lists. If you want to keep vehicle longer, keep check every time between oil change..

• Becky March 3, 2017 at 10:02 am #

Sounds like you’re very mechanically inclined Bobby, thanks for sharing. It sounds like your Ford has a lot of good years ahead of it!

• John Wright July 5, 2017 at 6:19 am #

I have read that flushing a transmission is not so good for transmission. Better is to drain, you only are changing half so you refill and drive 5 miles and then do it again, total 4x. That way you have changed practically all the transmission fluid. If you are towing or idling a lot to charged house batteries, maintenance falls under “severe service”. Basically, all regular maintenance, twice as often. Idling is equal to 25 miles driving per hour. That would add up. Great website.

5. Jodee Gravel March 2, 2017 at 8:04 pm #

I’ve always found that being prepared reduces the need – just seems to turn out that way πŸ™‚
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Quartzsite, ArizonaMy Profile

• Becky March 3, 2017 at 10:03 am #

I’d rather be over prepared than under prepared, that’s for sure.

6. Judy Blinkenberg March 2, 2017 at 8:35 pm #

We bought a used truck this past August. My husband, who was a Chevy man all his life, was hesitant about buying a Ford and with the nortorious V6′ motor. We follow Loloho, and since they had problems we decided to Bullet Proof ours, so my husband would feel better on the road. We haven’t even left home yet!! We are hoping to save by not having a rent payment and boondocking most of our time, like you have! I always share your blog and info with him. Thanks for your lessons and great advice.

7. Judy Blinkenberg March 2, 2017 at 8:37 pm #

We appreciate you advice and you unfortunate experiences. We are having our truck worked on right now.

• Becky March 3, 2017 at 10:19 am #

I hope the two of you get a lot of use out of your Ford Judy and have fun when you get out there!

8. Geybie's Book Blog March 2, 2017 at 11:11 pm #

Hi.. Becky. Thank you for sharing your life. While I’m not a travel blogger (I’m a book blogger), I love reading and watching (on YT) people who love traveling and choose to live their lives in the fullest. You are one of the great examples. You inspire me so much with your unique lifestyle. Freedom, happiness and fulfillness. The things that I’ve been dreaming of. While I get to experience those things through books, nothing can compare them with the real, awesome experiences.

I respect and truly admire you. Keep being an inspiration! πŸ˜€

Geybie.

• Becky March 3, 2017 at 10:22 am #

You’re welcome Geybie and I’m glad you’re enjoying IO, thanks for reading. It’s always nice to hear from people who are inspired by my travels to go traveling themselves and I hope you get the chance too!

9. Pamela March 2, 2017 at 11:37 pm #

Becky – Thanks for sharing your experience with your rig and funding a big repair or replacement. Did you say you may be downsizing? Are you thinking of anything specific? I did see someone actually lift the tongue of a 13 ft. Calista. I was amazed. I have a 17′ Spirit Deluxe and there’s no lifting that tongue! Happy trails.
    Pamelab

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 2:25 pm #

Possibly Pamela, I’ve been thinking about it and dropping hints on the blog about teardrops for years but for the moment Cas continues to be the best RV to fit my needs.

I’ve never seen someone lift the tongue of a 13 footer but wow that is pretty cool. My Casita’s tongue weighs about 400 pounds, it would take a pretty impressive feet of strength to lift that!

• Robert May 28, 2017 at 9:32 pm #

Becky, what about a smaller truck camper? Have you thought of that if you downsized? I noticed from reading his blog that Bob Wells was looking at changing from his van to a truck camper set up. There are some truck campers where the top can pop up to give more space, yet stay with a lower profile with top down when driving so more aerodynamic. I’m a newbie RV-er, but this makes sense to me. Because #1 I wouldn’t have tow anything, and I could put the truck camper on a really highly mechanically reliable better gas mileage smaller Toyota Tacoma type pick up. And you would have a higher clearance 4X4 to get to more remote camp sites (vs towing a trailer). Versus having to get a worse gas mileage less reliable larger 1 ton type pick up.

• Becky May 29, 2017 at 4:59 pm #

I have thought about it, but still think if I went smaller I’d go with a teardrop (and I mean a true teardrop, not like a T@B that you can still stand up in) because then I could get something like a Subaru Outback which is smaller and more fuel efficient than even a mid-size truck. That’s just me though, I know people who camp extensively with truck campers and it works for them.

All hypothetical at this point. As long as I’m work-camping, I’ll want to stick with the Casita which has more living space.

• Robert May 29, 2017 at 5:41 pm #

Good point Becky with Suburu Outback or maybe Forrester. Those would be super reliable, fuel efficient, decent road clearance, 4X4 tow vehicles.

I read a cool article on Bloomberg about this cool small company out of Grand Junction CO that makes these vintage teardrops with big tires made to be pulled in the backcountry. http://vintageoverland.com/. I like to buy lower cost used stuff, but just looking at their stuff gives me ideas! And I love their company and how they hand make stuff.

• Becky May 30, 2017 at 6:27 am #

There are so many neat teardrops out there! But if I wanted to spend a lot of money I’d go with Camp-Inn, which are made close to where I grew up. It’s the Airstream of the teardropping world: http://www.tinycamper.com/

10. Teresa March 3, 2017 at 4:58 am #

You have mentioned down sizing before. I too was wondering what you had in mind Van or tag along or something else.

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 2:27 pm #

Responded to this question above. Maybe possibly a teardrop someday, I’ve talked about it for years. But it’s not a serious consideration at this point.

11. Rob March 3, 2017 at 6:26 am #

Sometimes the auto pricing guides are a bit off, they are long ways from reality in the VW Vanagon world. Taking a look at several craigslist to see what your specific year/model is doing is a better way.
    Your truck’s true worth (to you) is what you’d have to spend to replace it.

Put a vehicle payment away every month in it’s own account, when the time comes you have the money.

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 2:29 pm #

That’s a good point Rob. RV pricing guides a long ways from correct for Casitas, I think when I paid property taxes on mine in South Carolina it was valued at about $1,200 haha. For the Dodge Dakota it’s more accurate.

12. Joy sutton March 3, 2017 at 6:38 am #

I am interested in where you found replacement insurance. I have talked to my insurance man and told him I had heard of it and he wants to know also. I have a 1999 Tiago from fleetwood. We bought it reasonable in 2012. DH had restored 2 others but this was not to be. He wasn’t able and passed last year. I have now paid others with anew roof and all new on top. Overhauled motor new tires brakes hoses etc now ready for some interior. I have now more in it than its worth I would like to think I could replace it if anything happened. I do have a fund but not bottomless and now live onSS. So replacement of an even good used one would deplete it without hope for replacement at my age and abilities.

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 2:33 pm #

What do you mean by replacement insurance Joy, you mean for the Casita?

What I did was told the insurance company that I wanted to insure my trailer at the price I paid for it ($9,000) instead of the price it was valued at by pricing guides (which would have pegged it at about $1,200). This means I pay a higher premium as though I have a newer RV, but if it ever gets totaled on the road I know I’ll get enough money back to replace it. Not all insurance companies will do this, I go through Blue Sky and they do.

13. Dawn in MI March 3, 2017 at 8:05 am #

I can see how having a replacement fund would make sense. Did not think of it until you wrote this piece. If a retired person with just SS to live on was contemplating saving, it seems like it would be hard. I think having replacement money before you start would be safer…but probably also as hard. Something to think about.

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 2:38 pm #

Yes Dawn there is definitely no one-size-fits-all solution. I usually write my informational articles with the pre-retirement RVer in mind which is why I worded this the way I did. You’re correct that it would be harder for those who are retired, taking on a work-camping job would be one way to handle it.

14. Tina March 3, 2017 at 11:20 am #

Hi Becky,

Great post and topic to think about. It’s good to have the option when that time comes. My SUV is a 2001 and a few years back the transmission went out. My vehicle was worth less than the repairs but I decided to repair it and it’s still going strong. I did have the money to replace it but just did not want to use my money for that, I’m driving this thing in to the ground. πŸ™‚

Having the safety net either for those big repairs with an older vehicle or replacing is what I feel comfortable with. Take care and I really hope you have no big repairs this year. I’d be curious to hear what is going around in your mind regarding downsizing to a different setup. Good thing with your Casita they do really hold their value.

Tina

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 2:45 pm #

Glad to hear your SUV is still going strong Tina. The motor or transmission is what I most fear giving out on Bertha now as those are the two things more expensive than the head gaskets to fix.

Thanks, and I hope yours goes without any big repairs for a while too!

15. Leslie Connelly March 3, 2017 at 6:13 pm #

I boondocked at Saddle Mountain last week. Loved the scenery, and fairly quiet, although I did hear traffic noise from the ighway.

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 2:50 pm #

Isn’t it beautiful there Leslie? I really enjoyed my two weeks there last year, so many hiking options!

16. Jim March 4, 2017 at 5:39 pm #

You mentioned toying with the idea of downsizing the Casita. Always interested in your reasoning if you might elaborate on that. πŸ™‚

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 3:01 pm #

I’ve been dropping hints about it on IO for years Jim, but the Casita continues to be the best option for the way I currently travel so I have nothing more to share at this point. You all will hear about it if and when the time comes. πŸ™‚

17. Cosmo March 4, 2017 at 9:28 pm #

I am not suggesting you are not doing these things or suggesting what you should do. I am discussing what works for me. If pontificating rather than sharing seeps through I apologize in advance.

Very good topic. To me the root of this topic is budgeting.
    As we know cash is king and debt is dumb. The budget wins.

Vehicle replacement, insurance, emergency fund, Internet, phone service, medical insurance, travel money, discretionary spending. and much more are all line items in my monthly budget spreadsheet. Money is pre allocated to those budgets before it can be spent (avoiding credit). This is the β€œenvelope” system of accounting. But we use a spread sheet rather than envelopes of cash.

My budget includes my cash allowance, vacation etc. You refine what works for you. I am sure you already have a budget that works and now it is being tuned up. Tuning the budget never ends. It’s a daily task for me. What is in your budget is optional. Living within the budget is not optional (for me). It is survival. With a good functioning budget – the light at the end of the tunnel is the other end. With a budget gap the light in the tunnel is a train coming at us.

We can have whatever we want if we budget and save for it in advance. This requires strict self-discipline (especially when starting out). But it keeps us honest with ourselves. It is a huge asset once it is up and running. As you hint – Bliss includes financial peace of mind as well as camping in nice place.

One point. Before I buy a vehicle I check the Consumer Reports and only select vehicles with the highest reliability and low cost of ownership. Other vehicle makers have higher reliability and lower cost of ownership ratings than yours.

A vehicle has a predictable lifetime. Adding a new category to the budget like vehicle replacement takes discipline but pays off big time. In my system I buy a vehicle new and keep it for no less than 10 years. When I purchased my last vehicle in Sept 2005 I started adding to the new vehicle fund with each pay check. I now have enough money to purchase a new vehicle cash with extra to spare. During the life of the vehicle I own I deduct repairs from the new vehicle fund. You are buying used vehicles so it may be shorter ownership periods, but repairs may be more frequent etc. We know what works for us.

When I purchase a vehicle I divide the cost of the next vehicle by the months I estimate I will own the current vehicle and allocate that amount with each paycheck. Since I have a steady job this may be easier for me. You have an income stream and you’re a probably already doing something similar.

Your vehicles are not new. A vehicle fund and repair fund may be an advantage (or you may choose to combine them). A new vehicle may provide a breathing room for saving if the vehicle was paid for with cash (which is the goal).

An accident or other reason for vehicle loss, I cover with the replacement funds I have saved. If the vehicle was recently purchased and that fund is low my emergency fund of $20K minimum covers me there. The emergency fund has no upper limit. I continue to contribute to it no matter how much it is.

In a financial crisis? If your budget is running right you may be able to move funds around to avoid credit.

=Cosmo

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 3:08 pm #

Thanks for sharing Cosmo. You’ve clearly given this subject a lot of thought and it’s always nice to hear other reader’s solutions, especially when they’re well-worded and thorough.

• Sue August 19, 2017 at 12:42 pm #

I really love Cosmo’s finance strategies here–gives me much food for thought. I am still in the learning stage for full-timing. Currently downsizing possessions, and then will be working on getting my house ready for sale. I am pre-retirement and really enjoy reading the perspective on full-timing from sites like Becky’s and others out there who are also working still.

I’m probably still a couple years away from taking the plunge, but with so much prep work that time will go by quickly, I’m sure!

Thank you for your contributions to the RV world, Becky. I truly appreciate all the info. I have been reading from the very beginning (I’m still in year 2012). I hope to cross paths with you and so many others someday.

• Becky August 20, 2017 at 4:03 pm #

You’re quite welcome Sue and I’m glad you’re finding IO helpful. Not too many people opt to read through IO from the beginning these days so kudos for undertaking the challenge, last I checked there were over 500 posts, haha.

Best of luck on your preparations! It’s good that you’re researching the lifestyle now, that greatly increases your chances of success down the road. πŸ™‚ Keep us up to date on how it’s going, and yes hopefully our paths will cross down the road.

18. John March 5, 2017 at 11:26 am #

After talking with you this morning during my walk I returned to camp and resubmitted my email address on your mailing list. Nice to meet you in person.

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 3:14 pm #

I was thinking about it John and I bet I know what happened. Last summer I started having to pay for the e-mail list because it got so large. To keep from paying for people who were no longer following IO I did a purge. Those who didn’t respond to one of the purge e-mails stating they still wanted to remain on the list were removed, I’m guessing you missed those e-mails and were taken off. Glad to have you back and yes it was nice to meet you in person!

19. Dale March 5, 2017 at 1:46 pm #

Great post Becky! It sounds like you may be considering becoming a vandweller like your friend. When I first started this crazy life of living full-time on the road, I was a vandweller. Back then, I was interested in traveling all the time, seeing new things every few days, getting into remote and scenic locations, and maintaining a semblance of stealth when I parked. I loved it!

Now that I’m older I have a larger RV. I gave up the freedom of getting into the back country, good gas mileage, low maintenance, and stealth, for the trade of comfort: When the weather turns bad and I’m trapped inside, I’m glad I have my apartment size RV; when I pull up to the gas pump, I wish I had my small van; when I want to take a shower or cook dinner in the oven, I’m glad I have my RV; when I look at a forest road leading to a backwoods boondock, I long for my van. It’s all a trade-off. There is no right or wrong.

• Becky March 5, 2017 at 3:16 pm #

Teardrop actually Dale. It’s something I first brought up on IO in the summer of 2014 and have been toying with the idea on and off for some time, but at this point it still makes the most sense to stick with my Casita so this isn’t going to be an immediate change. I just like dropping hints now and then so that when I finally do switch RVs it doesn’t take everyone by surprise, haha.

You’re absolutely right about there being no perfect RV and about them all having positives and negatives.