RV Views, 2016 (part 2)

I started a tradition a while back of taking pictures through Cas’ windows at the various places I camped to show what my home and office views are like. Up through 2015, these pictures totaled no more than maybe 12 a year, because much of my year was spent parked for months at a time at various work-camping gigs.

Last year I boondocked a lot and I ended up with over 30 photos, so I split the pictures into two parts. Part 1 can be found here, you’ll want to look at that first if you haven’t already – we left off early in June.

On June 10th I choose Hartley Springs campground as my Mammoth Lakes staging point along the eastern Sierra.

A wildfire springs up overnight near my camp at Mono Lake on the 24th, surprising the heck out of me and disrupting travel plans with the closure of 395.

One of the most surreal skies I’ve ever witnessed: Hayspur Hatchery in Idaho on June 29th from my rear window. Color, saturation, and brightness have not been touched in this photo!

Camping along a stream in the Sawtooth mountains on a foggy morning in early July. It was remarkably cold here even in the middle of summer. The morning of my sunrise photoshoot in the next valley over it was 28 degrees out.

A cow moose visits my camp in Island Park, ID on July 29th, lounging in the grass nearby for a half-hour or so. What an experience!

My fantastic (and free) view of the Tetons on the morning of August 10th, and I have it all to myself.

Horses from my office window at a KOA in Dubois, WY the afternoon of the 10th.

Foote Access Area near Saratoga, WY on August 15th. the Platte River was on the other side of those trees to the right.

Rabbit Ear Pass near Steamboat Springs, CO. Quite possibly the prettiest camp I’ve ever had. Look at that view!

Some of the traffic at my camp outside Leadville, CO is of the hoofed variety. I end up spending more time than expected here due to my first ever vehicle breakdown.

Camped along Turquoise Lake while waiting for Bertha to get fixed – I had a tow truck drag Cas to this pretty spot with a lake view. What did I do while waiting for repairs? Climbed a mountain for starters.

On September 15th friends tow Cas down to Salida, CO for an Xscapers Convergence. When it ends, Bertha is finally fixed.

Okay, so my view at Boyd RV in Texas while work-camping isn’t very inspiring, but this huge flock of birds out my window one day was pretty cool. I also got away for day trips a couple times to break the monotony of work.

My lakefront site just outside Holloman AFB in NM on December 26th. It felt great to escape Amazon and be boondocking again.

A day later I’m camping outside Bowie, AZ with pretty rock formations out the window. What a great year 2016 turned out to be!

Hope you all enjoyed this little trip down memory lane as much as I have! If you’ll be traveling this year in an RV, even if just part-time, this is a fun way to record trips for posterity. Happy travels all!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , ,

23 Responses to RV Views, 2016 (part 2)

1. Judy February 4, 2017 at 1:52 am #

Love your pictures! I sure hope we can stop at some of these places this year. Thanks for the lovely views!!

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:01 am #

You’re welcome Judy and glad you enjoyed this!

2. Rob February 4, 2017 at 7:54 am #

A VW camper is always a good thing to see…

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:02 am #

They are neat looking.

3. Kim February 4, 2017 at 9:30 am #

What a great living room window!

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:04 am #

Yep! Why pay a million for a house with a good view when you can buy an RV for a fraction of the cost and have your choice of million-dollar views? 😀

4. Norm H. February 4, 2017 at 12:20 pm #

This is a great idea for documenting one’s travels. Thanks for sharing the idea and the pictures. It was like reliving your journey again. Happy 2017 trails.

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:05 am #

Thanks Norm. Some bloggers write a post about the top places they visited for the year, this is the method I prefer.

5. Ernesto Quintero February 4, 2017 at 3:42 pm #

The Grand Teton image has to be one of the most berth taking views possible from an RV in the continental U.S. I have several images of the Grand Tetons on Kodachrome slides from my 8,400 mile road trip to national parks I did back in 1991. Unfortunately my photography skills weren’t that great back in 1991 and the visit was smack in the middle of the day. I hope/plan to be back there in my RV in nine years or so with way better gear, knowledge and golden hour image taking. Safe travels Becky.

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:09 am #

For people who love mountains, absolutely. I still need to get a stunning ocean view from my RV window some day to compliment it. Enjoy it when you get back out there!

6. Jeff February 4, 2017 at 3:57 pm #

It’s so awesome that the view from your window can change, and still be so great! Always anxious for the next view!

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:10 am #

Me too Jeff! What a wonderful life this is.

7. Kit February 4, 2017 at 5:34 pm #

Love your posts! I stayed at Hayspur Hatchery in August on my way north through Idaho, after reading your review of the place!

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:11 am #

Thanks Kit. I hope you enjoyed your stay at Hayspur, and I hope it was cooler than when I was there, haha.

8. Vanholio! February 4, 2017 at 7:24 pm #

I’ve camped at that Bowie spot!

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:12 am #

Yeah it sure was pretty. I’d like to go back to Indian Bread Rocks for a longer visit some day.

9. Jeff Harris February 5, 2017 at 6:08 am #

Hey Becky! (and everyone else) I have been following your blog for some time now. I am not usually one to leave a comment but I couldn’t help myself. Your pictures are Beautiful!! It makes me want to full-time even more. I am getting my funds in order, credit card bills paid off, all that good stuff. I plan to be ready to hit the road in October. First stop, Murfreesboro, TN. Amazon Camperforce!
    I just want to thank you for your wealth of knowledge and a what a great blogger you are!! IO has been my bible for just over a year now. Keep up the good work and hope to see you on the road some day!!

• Becky February 5, 2017 at 10:16 am #

Congrats on your upcoming departure Jeff, you must be very excited! CamperForce was my first stop when I hit the road too, it’s a great way to build up some money so you can work less the rest of the winter and travel more.

Best of luck to you, I hope the transition goes smoothly and that you enjoy Amazon.

10. Yvonne February 6, 2017 at 3:07 pm #

Beautiful photos, as always! Thanks for taking us along with you. I can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store for you! Safe travels.

• Becky February 7, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

Thanks and you’re welcome Yvonne! So far it’s shaping up to be a great year.

11. George May 25, 2017 at 8:23 pm #

Becky, I just returned to your site again after a long time away. Love your photos and your writing! We just drove past that Holloman AFB lake this morning, from our home in Alamogordo to and from an appointment in Las Cruces. Safe travels to you. You are truly livin’ the good life.

• Becky May 26, 2017 at 9:40 am #

Welcome back George! That lake was a great place to spend the night.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lost Little One, Dinosaurs – Retired Vagabond - March 22, 2017

[…] me, then after a few days and further down the road the view changes once again. A fellow blogger Becky at Interstellar Orchard has a great idea that I read about recently. I wish I had done the same from the beginning of my […]