AAQ: Wrap Up

While working at Amazon this holiday season, I’m running a weekly “Ask A Question” post since I’m not sightseeing much and have limited time to write. This will be the last one as it’s my last week at Amazon! You can read more about AAQ here.

For this final AAQ post, Mark asks: If you came into a large sum of money, would you still live this lifestyle? (Do you live this way because you need to, or because you want to?).

Goodbye Boyd RV Park (pic taken before all the leaves fell)

Because I want to, most definitely! If I received an unexpected windfall I’d still be a full-time RVer, but I’d probably work less and have more travel days. I would perhaps buy a newer RV (I don’t enjoy fixing and maintaining things as long-time readers know) but I’d still stay with something of a similar size because I love the convenience and ease of small RVs.

On a related note, I’ve been asked a couple times lately if I’d still buy a Casita if I had it all to do over again and the answer is an emphatic yes. I’m glad I took the time to research options when I was preparing to hit the road, and I still feel that for the way I currently RV, the Casita meets my needs very well (but that doesn’t mean that some day down the road a different RV won’t work better).

I’d also like to point out though that there is no such thing as the perfect RV and no matter how well you do choosing your RV there will always be compromises that have to be made. I’m not sure it’s possible to love everything about your RV and if that’s what you’re hoping for you’ll end up disappointed. For instance, not having a furnace in my Casita means I get a lot of extra storage space below the sink, but it means that on the rare occasion when I camp in truly cold weather (like this past weekend for instance) it’s not very comfortable inside.

A few readers noticed that the weather was looking pretty dismal for north Texas and asked how I was doing, thanks for thinking of me. After a high of 66 on Saturday it got down to 14 that night (the wind was bad too). The high Sunday was 28 and the low that night was 12. The plumbing leading to my bathroom sink froze again like happened during the really cold spell in Kansas three years ago but it thawed out yesterday while I was at work and there doesn’t seem to be any permanent damage. Good ol’ Casita, durable and hardy.

It was cold enough inside on Sunday that I couldn’t sit at my computer without shivering so I gave up on trying to respond to all the comments from the day before but for those who didn’t catch the message, I have read them all and I thank all of you for sharing your travel plans for next year!

Aaaand that’s a wrap for AAQ. I believe I answered all the questions posed to me (Joy and Kent, your question about the performance of my solar suitcase was answered in http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2016/11/05/boondocking-review/) but if I did happen to miss one let me know and I’ll answer it in a future blog post down the line.

Tomorrow I get the RV ready to roll (always harder after being stationary for a couple months) and the next you hear from me should be in Lubbock on Friday! For those eager to hear my review of CamperForce this year, it’ll probably come in January once all my checks (and the end-of-season bonus) have arrived and I’ve had time to tally up my earnings and put together my thoughts.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, ,

22 Responses to AAQ: Wrap Up

1. Jay December 20, 2016 at 8:23 pm #

Becky, nice to have the job done! take some time for yourself and go fine a warm place and rest, will be looking forward to your next adventures.

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 7:41 pm #

Thanks Jay.

2. Rob December 20, 2016 at 9:08 pm #

Safe travels!

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks!

3. Ron December 20, 2016 at 10:34 pm #

On the road again,Yippi.
    Safe travels.

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks Ron.

4. Robin December 21, 2016 at 2:55 am #

Have a great Christmas! !

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 8:02 pm #

Same to you Robin!

5. Jeff December 21, 2016 at 6:17 am #

It’s always nice to hear about your adventures. I also experienced the frigid north Texas weather over this past weekend. I came in from east Texas on Saturday where it dropped from 79 degrees to the low 20’s in just a few hours in Azle. I made a great investment in a heated drinking water hose which worked great, but I forgot to leave my faucets dripping so my pipes leading from my hose to my faucets still froze. No damage done when they thawed though. Happy holidays and safe travels 🎄

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 8:05 pm #

Looks like it’s going to be warmer for a while again Jeff which’ll be nice. Several people in the campground here had the same problem, I was using water from my tank so avoided it. Take care!

6. Ragweed Rick December 21, 2016 at 6:54 am #

How do I put you down as a referral for CamperForce.

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 8:06 pm #

When you fill out the application for next year there will be a space to list who referred you. My full name is Rebecca Schade. 🙂

7. Judy Blinkenberg December 21, 2016 at 9:44 am #

We are near McKinney, TX and had to leave our trailer due to the cold temps. My huaband bought some special stuff for our old windows. We are staying with our daughter as she is moving and needs the help. Have fun on the road.

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 8:11 pm #

Reflectix is what I used in my windows in the past, it works quite well for both cold and heat with the combination of bubble insulation and a shiny reflective surface. Wonder if you have the same stuff.

Enjoy the time with your daughter, take care!

8. Joe McGerald December 21, 2016 at 9:55 am #

Becky, Happy Holidays! How will you spend them?
    With family and/or friends or o the road? This is our first season as CG hosts for Christmas and New Years and I’m on duty New Years Eve on the late shift!
    That should be interesting.

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks Joe, and I’m not sure yet. May still be in Lubbock, may be on the road. Usually I’m on the road for Christmas, it’s kind of fun actually.

Hope your hosting goes well, take care!

9. Jose December 21, 2016 at 10:26 am #

Becky, I’m really glad you posted your thoughts on the Casita. i don’t like the RV’s that are out there. My reason is the graphics, i do not like them at all. Whenever i’m ready to upgrade from my Silver Shadow teardrop trailer, i will look into the Casitas. thanks again and i hope to run into you some day.

• Linda Sand December 21, 2016 at 3:18 pm #

Jose, If you are buying new you can ask to have the graphics left off. If you are buying old you can often remove the graphics. I don’t like manufacturer/dealer ads on my vehicles either; I tell them if they want me to advertise for them it will cost them $500 a month. You’d be amazed at how easy they find it to not put on their badging. 🙂

• Jose December 21, 2016 at 3:58 pm #

Thanks Linda, that’s a great idea. i will remember that 🙂

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 8:14 pm #

You’re welcome Jose (and yes, Casitas do have graphics but they’re less obtrusive than other brands… I do know people that’ve removed them too).

10. Carlene December 21, 2016 at 6:23 pm #

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year, so glad you’ll be back on the road, it is a joy after being in one place for a while. I left my 3 month volunteer gig today and I’m parked at my sons until mid January. I’m hoping to get to the “Q” next month and meet up with family and also try to locate others from blogs and vlogs.

Safe travels…
    Carlene aka Waianaegal

• Becky December 21, 2016 at 8:17 pm #

Yes Carlene, love the feeling of getting on the road again after a long time stationary, tomorrow’s going to be a good day! Enjoy the time with your son and take care!