Tentative 2017 Travel Plans

I’ve got hitch itch something fierce as the last week of Amazon approaches. Almost free, woohoo! I’ve had a lot of questions about where I’m going after Amazon, so here’s the scoop. As always, these plans are written in jello and subject to change at any time, ’tis the nature of RVing. In fact, I often ask myself why I bother writing up my plans since they usually change significantly over the year, but people ask so I try my best.

Nothing wrong with Texas sunsets, but I’m looking forward to the mind-blowing ones of Arizona

My last day at Amazon is the 20th. I’ll be leaving Boyd the morning of the 22nd and spending a couple nights parked in a friend’s driveway in Lubbock.

From there I’ll be working my way to Phoenix where my best friend Julie is flying in on the 30th. We’ll boondock together in the area for a week before I return her to the airport to fly home.

Shortly after that the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous starts in Quartzsite, I’ll probably be attending the first half. Overlapping that is the Xscapers Convergence, I’ll probably be attending the second half.

After that plans become more generalized. I’ll likely hang out in Arizona for the rest of the winter. I have other friends I can go visit, I have one or two things to take care of on the Casita, there are other places in AZ I’d like to spend some time. I may or may not attend the Fiberglass RV rally in February.

I do need to renew my driver’s license in SD this year (really, five years already?) but I’m hoping to get an extension so I don’t need to go up before my birthday at the end of Feb to do it (April or May sounds much better). So after Arizona I’ll be working my way up that direction. From SD I’m thinking of swinging east towards Wisconsin to visit family and friends. And perhaps Amazon next year will be done in Kentucky or Tennessee as I’ll be east of the Mississippi.

I applied for my passport (finally) about a month and a half ago and next time I have my mail sent I’m hoping it’ll be in there (as my “home” address isn’t a home address it may take longer to sort out). If it is I plan on doing a day trip to Los Algodones in Mexico when I’m in Quartzsite, and maybe I’ll try another out-of-country trip (flying most likely, and not real long) later in the year. We’ll see. Jello, remember.

So, where are YOU thinking of going next year? I’ve still got four more work days to get through and hearing about you travels will help pass the time. Plus, I’ve found sharing destinations is a good way to discover other neat places to add to the list, and it keeps the excitement of RVing alive during these not-so-good weather months (I believe Saturday’s low is going to be 19 here in north Texas, brrrr).

Edit 12/17: Hello Everyone!

Tonight was the release meeting/party at Amazon and it ran late, hence my evening is also running late. I don’t have time tonight to respond to all 32(!) of your comments in person but I have read every single one of them and I thank you all for sharing and giving me something else to think about other than the rocking of the Casita in this ridiculous 15 degree windchill. You’re the best readers a blogger could hope for!

Tomorrow after work I’ll respond to the questions and as many other comments as I can. For those of you caught in this cold front, stay warm tonight!

I appreciate every Amazon purchase made using my affiliate link. Thank you!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , ,

65 Responses to Tentative 2017 Travel Plans

1. Linda December 16, 2016 at 11:12 am #

I can’t believe how much I’ve missed you being on the road Becky. Really looking forward to your travel posts and the beautiful photos that accompany your descriptive posts.

2. Old Fat Man December 16, 2016 at 12:01 pm #

Medical trouble finishes and I get to start traveling again on Jan. 1, 2017 and will be heading westerly from Rockport Texas. I have no plans, even jello plans this year but to move more often than in the last few years. My age (70) is creeping up and I have spent too much time in too many places that did not deserve that much attention. Thanks for your blog reports. I find them valuable.

3. Page December 16, 2016 at 12:21 pm #

We are working at the SKP Park in Casa Grande for the winter and then rolling on to Iowa where summer jobs await. Next winter might see us in Mexico. Jello.

We plan to attend one day during Big Tent week at Quartzite just to see what’s there.

4. Pamela December 16, 2016 at 12:27 pm #

Hi, Becky – Looks like we’ll both be in Lubbock at the same time. I’ll be bringing my granddaughter up from the Austin area to spend the holidays with her family.
    I’ll be at the Loop 289 RV park. Nice people that run it, from my other stay there. Lubbock is full of cul de sac streets in the neighborhoods and if people are parked in the street it’s not a guarantee I could turn around. So, I won’t take a chance.
    Happy for you that your stint at amazon is almost finished.
    After Lubbock I plan to go back to Houston for a month or so. In 2017, I plan to visit some National Parks that I haven’t seen yet. Looking forward to camping near some giant rocks like you did.
    I always enjoy your blog. Thank you.
    Happy travels.
    Pamelab in Houston for now

5. marijka December 16, 2016 at 1:45 pm #

I’m moving back to my home state of Tennessee, though a different part from where I grew up, so I’ll be exploring my new area by hiking, backpacking, canoeing, etc., etc! If you do end up in my state next year, I’ll be sure to ask if you’re in the mood for a home-cooked meal or hiking company. Glad you’re getting to hit the road again soon. 🙂

6. Connie December 16, 2016 at 2:02 pm #

I was planning on going to the RTR for a few days but… silly me for making plans! Instead, I’ll be heading to Florida in a few days (currently in Ehrenberg AZ) and probably spending the rest of the winter there (my daughter lives there). After that… who knows ‘cuz making plans doesn’t seem to be my cup of tea. But, who needs them anyway LOL 🙂

7. desi December 16, 2016 at 2:06 pm #

ill probably be out west to arizona or neveda up to idaho saving to buy a pull trailor prob 17 but like the 19 ft type in june

8. Chris December 16, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

I am have been in Quartzsite since the middle of October. Probably will head out in March. Thinking about California and drive along the coast and slowly work my way back to Minnesota by June for some family time. Everything depends on the weather and how I am feeling on that particular day. I don’t like to be pinned down to any definite plans anymore. This is my first time in Quartzsite for the big show. Should be interesting. Ha ha!

9. Jeff December 16, 2016 at 3:00 pm #

Looking forward to your posts on SD, hope to be there in June. You always seem to find some great camping spots! Have you thought of catching the eclipse next year?

• Becky December 18, 2016 at 5:30 pm #

Probably not Jeff, at least I haven’t made plans to. if it happens it happens.

10. UnderdogFL December 16, 2016 at 3:14 pm #

“Hitch itch” 🙂

11. Lara / InspiredTrekker December 16, 2016 at 3:36 pm #

I arrived back in Florida today and am not thinking ahead timewise to talk about next year. My number one thing I wanted right now was warm, sunny weather and I am so glad to be back in it! My travels here involved taking some familiar and many new routes to a favorite location- I will be posting about that soon enough- which I like as an approach in general. The journey part is usually less about here and there and more the here to there for me.
    That said, I love Wisconsin! It is one of my favorite states I’ve been to (around 30? so far) and I spent over a month there this Summer. So many diverse and fun things to see and do and such friendly people!
    A convergence and the big tent and visiting Mexico are all appealing to me too plus the Escapade. We shall see. I am not even thinking about specifics for this Winter- I just know I want warm, sunny weather, new and fun experiences, and wherever that leads me, awesome!
    Lara / InspiredTrekker recently posted..After the Fact: A Beach in FloridaMy Profile

12. Julie December 16, 2016 at 4:27 pm #

Obviously you know my plans. 😉 I’m so excited! Also, attempting to arrange dragging you out to Isle Royale with me this summer, of course. See you soon!

13. Dianna Stavros December 16, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

Becky, Sounds wonderful. As a full-time school coordinator, my travels come in the summer. I will be driving from NC to Utah a few days after school releases to try my hand at a work exchange at a hostel surrounded by three National Parks. Should stay there for three weeks. Then I slow drive back to NC stopping along the way. Kinda written in Jello as you say.

Just testing the waters to see how much time I can spend on the road. Last year 3 weeks. This year 5 – 6.

Who knows someday I may have a trailer of my own.

14. Eric December 16, 2016 at 5:46 pm #

I’ve been living in Ukraine for one year and LOVE it. The dollar is very strong here so one can live comfortably on a modest income. Not really RV related but it’s nice to take a break sometimes. This Spring I will return with my wife and we will take the camper out to the Pacific Northwest near the Ocean. I love that area and miss the ocean. It will be different now that I will be traveling with a partner, so some camper remodeling is in store.

• marijka December 17, 2016 at 8:19 am #

That’s fascinating! I’ve always been enamored of that area, people and culture, but yet to visit. Do you have blog or site you’ve shared your experience?

• Eric December 17, 2016 at 8:35 am #

Marijka, I don’t have a blog but I can recommend this one.

Lviv is the most fun and romantic city in my opinion but all the cities have their own charm. Most the young people speak a bit of English so it’s easy to get by if you don’t know Russian/Ukrainian. You can stay up to 90 days visa free. Go for it!

• marijka December 21, 2016 at 10:17 am #

Thanks! I’m heading over to check it out now. Happy holidays, and wonderful travels to you. 🙂

15. Paula Frazee December 16, 2016 at 6:48 pm #

We travel and camp in our van, even though we don’t full-time. When we do retire we plan to spend a lot more time in the van. Our big trip next year will be to the Canadian Rockies. Since it’s our 40th anniversary we’re going to celebrate by taking a helicopter to Mt. Assiniboine and spending a few days in the Naiset Huts – not backpacking, but a spectacular trip. We’ll also do an early summer canoe camping trip down the Jack’s Fork River in the Missouri Ozarks camping on gravel bars. It is magical as darkness falls and fireflies flicker in the trees up and down the river. I’m looking forward to your reports and pictures as you explore new places in the east.

16. Rene Kipp December 16, 2016 at 9:47 pm #

We only have a couple of definite plans so far. The Big One will be going to Japan. Our son lives there (military) and we’ll be spending a glorious two weeks with him and his girl friend. We also have plans to be in Arco, ID in August for the eclipse. We have friends who live in the area so it’s a great excuse to see them too 🙂 But, our very next trip will be to Mendocino, CA just after Christmas. I’m glad you only have a few days left so you can get to enjoy more adventures!
    Rene Kipp recently posted..Roamin Goes To The LakeMy Profile

17. Dwayne December 17, 2016 at 3:33 am #

Might want to check out the sugar beet harvest in Sidney, MT. Last 2 years have made over $4000 in about 3 weeks there. It is 12 hours a day for 3-4 weeks. One thing that you might want to consider is have Julie and you just rent a motel up there if you don’t want to spend the gas to drive an RV there. Two years ago rooms were $120 a night (oil country), now they dropped to about $40. Since it is only a 3 week job might be the best thing is just drive a car and rent. If you do decide to do that mention my name (Dwayne Olson) when you apply. Nice working with both of you at Amazon.

• Dan December 17, 2016 at 4:31 am #

Hello Dwayne, not to step on Becky’s thread, but what time of year is the beet harvest? Where do we look for more information and sign up for the job?

• Dwayne December 17, 2016 at 9:18 am #

Try http://www.sugarbeetharvest.com. Mention my name when you apply and I get $50. Like I said, if you are not going to be in that area and going only for the job might just use motels. Cost me about $1100 on gas round trip, would have been worth it to just motel it. Even the new motels were only $55 a night, there was one on the way that was only $40 and it looked decent. Working 12 hours a day all you want is a clean bed and shower. They normally pay for your RV spot, which was about $600 a month. Trying to just have them pay a per-diem of $10 a day if you don’t use an rv site. That would amount to the same thing for 2 people, yet easy to process. By the way, got rained out about 5 days at the start, they still pay for 4 hours a day.

18. Steve December 17, 2016 at 3:49 am #

Hitch itch…I like it.

Particularly as you’re a season veteran of Amazon, I’m curious: if you’re in a location with an Amazon distribution center (such as the ones you mention), can you pretty much get hours there whenever you want? Like in a pinch for cash, is it there for you and others like you? Or, is Amazon part-yearing exclusively a pre-holiday Arizona thing, Becky? Thanks. Steve.

• Steve December 17, 2016 at 3:57 am #

Wait, wait…save those keystrokes. Becky, you’re always so thorough!

I just found your 2012, updated in 2016, Campersforce posting with the answers to my questions. Astonishing!

I’d put a hyperlink here, but seems every time I try that, my entire comment won’t post and I lose everything I’ve typed. 😓 But it sure is great reading.

Thanks for being you.

• Becky December 18, 2016 at 5:32 pm #

Other people have posted links (as recently as a couple days ago) so I’m really not sure why it isn’t letting you Steve, that’s odd! I’ll peek into it when I have time but that won’t be until after Christmas probably with how busy I’m going to be the next week.

19. Dan December 17, 2016 at 4:26 am #

Jello, jello, jello! Love that! I finally got my rig and getting things sorted. I have to stay in Atlanta till after Christmas due to family commitments, but plan to head to either Florida or Arizona soon. It really depends on if I can get A solar system installed. If yes, then Arizona for a few months. Never been to Quartszite, but it sounds like fun! If I cannot get the solar system by yearend, then off to Florida. Hate the cold!

I plan to visit the grandkids in Chicago and Virginia Beach in the Spring, but who knows!? Jello!
    Glad to hear that your Amazon commitment is winding down soon and you will be able to hit the road again.
    Safe Journey and Merry Christmas!

20. Rodolfo M Tenorio December 17, 2016 at 5:38 am #

Happy travels. Merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah.

21. Angelack December 17, 2016 at 8:51 am #

I’ll be at RTR as well. It will be my maiden boondocking voyage. We should be able to meet. Yeah! Then back home to southern CA until I get financial stuff finalized. Then back to AZ and NM, and hopefully Escapees meet in Tucson.
    Then I’ll be making my way to Iowa to see family in the spring. Our paths sound similar. After that work my way west to WA and then an unknown workamping job somewhere in the west.

22. shelley schlosser December 17, 2016 at 10:51 am #

We’re planning an epic trip to Alaska, caravaning with another couple, and plan to be gone 4 months from start to finish. I’m very excited!

23. Michael Steele December 17, 2016 at 11:32 am #

I’m really hoping to make it to the RTR, but the challenges of owning mechanical devices…I replaced the spark plugs in my Honda a couple of days ago, but one broke off as I was trying to remove it. I didn’t have an extractor handy, so I drove it to my mechanic–putt-putt-putt-putt like an old jalopy–and he didn’t have an extractor, either…and he damaged the head trying to remove it with a jury-rig. Sigh; that’s why we pay these guys, right? Supposed to know what they’re doing. I should have gone to the store and bought a new extractor…so now my Honda is sitting at the mechanic’s. It needs other things done to it, but I can’t do them while he’s sitting on it.
    Otherwise, my choice is my Tahoe…but I don’t think I can budget the fuel for 2,000 miles in time to make it to RTR. It’d be more comfortable–and probably warmer–than the Honda in January. I don’t have a trailer yet…I’m really regretting letting my RV go so easily. Lesson learned: Houses are NOT an improvement over RVs lol
    After RTR, it’s likely I’ll stay in Fredericksburg, Texas–a nice tourist town–for at least six months, until I can budget for the trailer I want, and get started building my cabin on it. Once it’s livable, my plan is to head for BLM lands for the winter! It’d be nice to caravan for a bit, if I can find a group of compatible folks; I like my alone time, but I don’t know my way around, yet.
    I’ve considered the possibility that I might find enough work out West that I won’t need to return home right away; my job here is not that special, as I’ve been trying to simplify and reduce stress. If that happens, JELLO! 😀
    Michael Steele recently posted..Back to the life I love!My Profile

24. Mush December 17, 2016 at 11:59 am #

“In fact, I often ask myself why I bother writing up my plans since they usually change significantly over the year, but people ask so I try my best.” Got a full belly laugh from me! Still chuckling!

I’m giving up planning for Lent. Oh wait, I’m not Catholic so I guess I’m just giving up planning for me. lol

Even my Jello plans go sideways all the time. So here’s the current non-plan: Finish repairs in Vegas, RTR and two other meetups in Quartzsite, maybe the Escapade (maybe not), and heading East unless something else comes up.

25. Swankie Wheels December 17, 2016 at 12:46 pm #

Jello, jello, jello. And “Hitch Itch”…. loving the things you come up with Becky. When folks ask what my plans are for tomorrow…. my reply is “Why, am I awake tomorrow yet?” It’s pointless for me to plan, as when I wake up the next morning, something different usually pots into my head. Ha Ha

I am also really enjoying the comments of others. Michael Steele, you won’t have any problem out here in Quartzsite, finding like minded folk. Never fear. There are also tons of trailers and various types of RVs out here for sale. And job during the tourist season.

Someone with a very old and loud generator got my camp site before I arrived, and so I camped nearby. The noise was making me angry daily and I just don’t do “angry” very well anymore, so this week I broke camp and am now mobile. I am thinking I might stay that way the rest of the winter. It feels good. Real good.

2017: Winter in Quartzsite area. Spring solo hiking the AZ National Scenic Trail (820 miles from MX to UT), Summer camphosting again in Colorado, Fall… maybe WA state to see two little grandkids who are growing up way to fast to suit this Grandma. All Jello, of course.

I’ll be watching for all of you at RTR…. don’t hesitate to hunt me down. Just ask Where’s Swankie? See ya.

26. Joe McGerald December 17, 2016 at 3:05 pm #

CG hosting for California State Parks. At the beach presently (So Carlsbad State Beach.) Here thru 3/1, then a month at our house, the 5 months in the mountains at Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, Green Valley aFalls CG.

27. MnDreamer December 17, 2016 at 4:47 pm #

Time has passed, and here you are, Becky, nearly ready to take flight again– good for you! I hope your holidays are warm and bright and your next year of travel is the best one ever. As for me, I’ll be doing a bit of travel from the frozen north to visit family in Texas, but mostly staying put for approximately 18 more months. Then I’ll be ready to follow my Casita dreams. Take care and let those jello plans take you down the road— just keep us posted. 🙂

28. Becky December 17, 2016 at 6:38 pm #

Hello Everyone!

• Michael Steele December 18, 2016 at 12:51 am #

Yep, it got chilly fast! It was supposed to be 40° at midnight, when I got off work; instead, it was 25°. I rode my bicycle to work, when it was 75° lol Thankfully, my manager offered me a ride home, so I didn’t have to bundle up for the trip; with the wind chill, I’m sure my face would have frozen, and I would have had to bag my hands and feet to keep them from frostbite. When I lived in Virginia, I would end a ride with sheets of ice on my helmet, beard, and jacket, and my priority was thawing my popsicle-fingers!
      It’s supposed to stay near freezing (but below it lol) all day tomorrow (today, Sunday), but I’m sure it’ll hit 80° again before New Year’s Day 🙂
      Michael Steele recently posted..Back to the life I love!My Profile

• Becky December 19, 2016 at 7:39 pm #

Low was 14 on Saturday, 12 last night, gah! I didn’t respond to more comments because I was literally shivering at the computer and couldn’t concentrate. 🙁 The plumbing to my bathroom sink froze despite keeping both my heaters on, luckily it thawed today and so far is staying clear (low is merely 25 tonight so it should stay clear).

• Dan December 19, 2016 at 7:53 pm #

ONLY a low of 25? Hope that you can stay warm and the pipes don’t freeze!
          Hurry up and get on the rosd to warmer climate!
          Safe Journey!

• Lara / InspiredTrekker December 19, 2016 at 8:34 pm #

I’m guessing you have antifreeze but also wanted to suggest, if possible, to add some warm/hot water to your pipes/tanks. I did this last weekend and it worked for the spot that had really begun freezing- so glad I checked it and it’s all fine. I also had a lamp and reflectix under the RV directed to this particular area to create a bit more heat.
          I am so glad to be in warm weather!
          Good thing you can leave soon to be in warmer weather too!
          Lara / InspiredTrekker recently posted..Traveling in the Fall of 2016My Profile

• Becky December 20, 2016 at 7:09 pm #

Thanks Dan and Laura. No problems last night, 25 really isn’t that bad compared to low teens, haha. Weather from here on out looks fine (including Lubbock at the moment which is funny because Lubbock is typically cooler than Boyd).

29. Debbie trekkingwiththebs.blogspot.com December 17, 2016 at 6:45 pm #

Sounds like a good plan. We are heading east this year after enjoying the Arizona sunshine and a ski trip to Colorado. Stay warm until you return to the desert. Today was a chilly 58 degree day, perfect for a climbing hike.

• Becky December 19, 2016 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks Debbie. Yeah some Arizona sunshine sounds pretty good about now. 😉

30. Jodee Gravel December 18, 2016 at 7:48 am #

Almost done – woohoo! Hope it warms up for a safe exit. We’re in New Orleans for Christmas then making our way back West to see friends in Arizona and family in California. The end of April we start moving north with most of the summer in Oregon and Washington again – we loved it there our first year and there’s so much still to see and do. August we’re in the shadow for the eclipse in central Oregon – thinking we’ll do Idaho or Utah in the Fall, but who knows – yes, jello is the key planning term for all fulltimers :-)))) Have a very happy and safe holiday Becky.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Return to Nature in Jackson (sort of), MississippiMy Profile

• Becky December 19, 2016 at 7:41 pm #

Thanks Jodee and have a good trip!

31. Furry Gnome December 18, 2016 at 5:17 pm #

Well, since you asked Becky, and your blog has been one of my inspirations for a long time now, we do have plans. Big plans for us, but small compared to many I’m sure. Our daughter took our grandchildren and moved to Abbotsford, B.C., only 4500 km. away! We took advantage of an opportunity and bought a 20 year-old camper van. The big question is whether our older-than-they-used-to-be and aching bodies can handle 6 hours driving for 7 or 8 days in a row! But we plan to be out in B.C. for 2 weeks in April (flying), out to a couple of Canadian National Parks in the Maritimes in late June, and then (for us) an epic 6 week trip to see some of the big parks in Utah, with a stop along the way in B.C. in Aug and Sept. All dependent on our health. I`ll let you know if our ambitious plans turn out to be spilled jello. You should ask us all next December how successful we were with our dreams! Meanwhile, I`m accumulating a list of great destinations that could take us ten years to visit.
    Furry Gnome recently posted..Simply a Beautiful Winter’s DayMy Profile

• Becky December 19, 2016 at 7:42 pm #

Sounds like fun Gnome and I hope it works out!

32. Mary December 19, 2016 at 7:34 am #

Hi Becky,
    I really enjoy your posts! I am making the leap myself and getting a passport in the near future also. No travel plans as yet, but I have always wanted to get one. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us. I enjoy reading them very much.

• Becky December 19, 2016 at 7:43 pm #

Thanks for reading Mary and I’m glad you’re finding IO helpful.

33. Deet December 19, 2016 at 9:39 am #

Retiring on 1/13 and hitting the road with Michelle. Steamboat for a couple months to ski. Then a month with my dad in Utah. Daughter graduates in May so back to VA for a month. Mosey in the east for a couple of months but planning to be in Casper WY for the Eclipse in August. Have enjoyed your blog over the last year or so. Thanks, Deet

• Becky December 19, 2016 at 7:43 pm #

Sounds like fun Deet!

34. Damosky December 19, 2016 at 10:35 pm #

I really enjoy your post.
    Thanks for sharing

• Becky December 20, 2016 at 7:04 pm #

You’re welcome Damosky.

35. Kit Frost December 21, 2016 at 7:41 am #

Hi Becky, Great to see that you’re heading back to AZ, to hang with Julie and to zoom to Quartszite. Maybe we’ll meet there someday. I too am getting hitch itch. I’ve been hanging around in northern Utah since my annual photo/art excursion to Zion in early November. I’ve spent most of this year applying for and taking part in Artist Residencies in our Parks: Bighorn in Wyoming, Glacier in Montana and Mesa Verde (home girl park) in Colorado. Right now I’m on a round of applications for 2017. It’s been fun and this summer I traveled 7500 plus miles towing my Travel trailer. It’s been awesome and creative. BTW, my leisure time in camp, I like to paint on wood, just for fun. I paint affirmations like: PEACE, LOVE, HIKE. Enjoy the boon docking in AZ.
    Kit Frost recently posted..Zion National ParkMy Profile

36. Lawrence Cutting December 21, 2016 at 2:28 pm #

Hi Becky – I don’t know how you find time to respond to all the messages much less read them! In any case, there’s no need to respond. However, if you see a 2000 Chinook RV at the winter RTR, and an old bald headed guy with a beard that’ll be me. Stop by and say “hello”. I would love to chat with you a bit.

Right now now I’m in El Salvador, January will see me at the RTR, February and March will see me in Baja Mexico (in my Chinook) and in April I’ll be in Honduras, Central America. During May and June, I hope to be back in my RV primarily in Arizona (Flagstaff area. In July, my plan is to “convoy” it with two other RVer’s up the coast of California, then into Oregon and Washington and then a leisurely drive back to Baja. Anyway, that’s the plan which, of course, is subject to change.

Love your blogs.

Larry

37. Ron Bunge December 23, 2016 at 6:46 pm #

You can renew you SD drivers Lic online.

• Becky December 24, 2016 at 8:09 am #

For full-time travelers one of the things you need to do that is a receipt showing you’ve spent a night in the state within the past year, which I don’t have. Since I’ll need to drive up to SD to stay a night in a campground may as well just do it in person and avoid the online processing fees.

• Michael Steele December 25, 2016 at 4:27 pm #

With your birthday being in February, maybe Texas would be a better choice for residency? You’d at least be sure to find a snow-free day at least once in the month 🙂

I tried to visit SD years ago, with an eye to perhaps finding a place to live, but I had adventures, instead lol Maybe someday I’ll blog about that; enough happened that I could write a novella, and I’m pretty convinced God intended for me to go elsewhere. I think I had too many expectations that the place would fit my fantasy, and I wouldn’t have liked the reality.

• Becky December 26, 2016 at 7:14 am #

If I’d known that drivers license renewal depended on your birthday instead of when you first got it I’d have planned better and done it in the fall since you can renew up to 180 days before. Next time I’ll plan better.

SD is beautiful (at least the west half) and I spent a summer work-camping there before and really enjoyed it. It’ll be nice to visit again.

38. Vanholio! December 28, 2016 at 2:17 pm #

I’ve been visiting friends and family in South Texas since just before Thanksgiving. Dang it, I have the itch bad to hit the road, too. I’ve promised to stay till Jan. 4, a promise I’m regretting. As much as I love my people, I miss the road, the mountains, and dry air.

Next year I’ll make a shorter commitment.
    Vanholio! recently posted..How to Make Money While Traveling in a Van – Part 3My Profile

• Becky December 28, 2016 at 8:30 pm #

Hope it passes quickly for you!

39. Phil December 28, 2016 at 9:02 pm #

I traveled a lot with my late wife, she often told me, ‘she could give me a destination, and sometimes we even got there’.
    But you know, the best trips were when didn’t and followed another path.

Phil

• Becky December 31, 2016 at 11:15 am #

Sounds like a woman after my own heart Phil.

40. Kathy January 3, 2017 at 8:04 am #

You are empowering me with tales of your days. I am solo rv retiree for a year now. I am in the beautiful Northwest in the summers, Arizona in winter and I am looking to explore Baja starting fall of 2017. Nervous about venturing south alone. I would love to caravan with others over the border and a day or more. Anyone have experience/stories to share? Or recommendations to share? Thanks in advance for your time.

• Becky January 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm #

Heya Kathy,

I’m glad that IO has inspired you and wish you the best on your trip to Baja. I know people at the RTR and Xscapers gatherings last year in Quartzsite who went down to Baja after leaving Q but it wasn’t something I paid much attention too as that wasn’t in the cards for me. As this post is a little older now I’m not sure how many people will see it but I bet if you visited RV.net or the Escapees forums you could find more about groups going down there.