AAQ: Variety Show

While working at Amazon this holiday season, I’m running a weekly “Ask A Question” post since I’m not sightseeing much and have limited time to write. Have a question you’d like answered? Read more about AAQ here.

Today I have answers to several shorter questions I’ve been asked lately. Are you ready? Here we go.

In relation to Meg's question below: Xscapers is one RVing community I belong to - taken in Quartzsite this past January

In relation to Meg’s question below: Xscapers is one RVing community I belong to – taken in Quartzsite this past January

Lara asks: Recently you wrote about what your typical boondocking day is like. I’m curious how different it is from when you are at a campground?

It depends Lara. If I’m at a campground to sightsee, it’s not a whole lot different from the boondocking day: Work on the computer in the morning, chores/trip to town/go out and something in the afternoon, read in the evening after a walk around the campground. Although if I have hookups I may microwave my meals and I tend to stay up later as the space heater will keep the Casita cozy even on cold nights and I don’t need to worry about power so I can play on the computer after the sun goes down.

If I’m at a campground work-camping, my schedule is very similar to what it was living stationary: Get up, get ready for work, gone most of the day, come home, have supper, work on blog, read a little before bed. Weekend days are more relaxed, that’s when I go out hiking or visiting nearby attractions, but I need to work it in around laundry and groceries and such.

Gary asks: How long do you see yourself living this lifestyle?

Until I find something else I want to do more. 🙂

No really, I haven’t put it on any sort of timeline. Maybe I’ll be an RVer for twenty years or more. Maybe in two years I’ll feel a strong call to do something else. I am planning to mix in some international travel in the future as that’s something I’ve always wanted to do too.

Meg asks: Do you have a list of other good online communities for fulltime RVers and people who are planning to fulltime?

Here are the communities I am a part of now/used when I was preparing to hit the road, there are plenty more out there though (note, I’m focusing on the community aspect of each group, where you can talk to others):

Websites

Forums

Facebook groups

Blogs

Rather than having some people feel left out by inevitably forgetting some of the blogs I know of (there’s only time in the day to follow so many of them), I’ll instead put this link in to Hitch Itch, which has a vast collection of blogs listed along with blurbs on what they’re about: http://hitchitch.com/links.html

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , , ,

21 Responses to AAQ: Variety Show

1. lindaandmike November 27, 2016 at 5:49 am #

im so JEALOUS lol

• Becky November 27, 2016 at 6:45 pm #

Are you guys planning to go RVing someday?

2. Rhonda November 27, 2016 at 9:02 am #

As I gear up for 2017 to be the year of (part time) solo rv travel for me, I plan to make great use of the valuable resources you have generously shared with this post, Becky. Thank you so much! 🙂

• Becky November 27, 2016 at 6:36 pm #

You’re welcome Rhonda!

3. Ernesto Quintero November 27, 2016 at 11:21 am #

Becky a big thanks for the links, just finished copying it to my RV notes folder. Keep on enjoying your journey and have a great holiday season.

• Becky November 27, 2016 at 6:44 pm #

Glad you found this helpful Ernesto, take care!

4. Meg November 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm #

Thank you so much for the links, Becky. Like an idiot I forgot to click the “send responses to me via email” button after I posted this question originally, so this is the first time I’ve actually seen your response. So glad you chose mine!

• Becky November 27, 2016 at 6:44 pm #

You’re welcome Meg!

5. maria levy November 27, 2016 at 8:51 pm #

Becky, now that you have become a part of so many reader’s lives, will you continue to blog with your planned international travel? Would you still live in cas as your primary home when in the states?
    I am planning to live full time in the next 5 years. So, I appreciate all of the advice you give.

• Becky November 30, 2016 at 4:44 pm #

Yep and yep, at least for the time being, although as I said I can’t really say where I’ll be in five years. I’m glad you’ve found IO helpful and inspiring and I wish you the best as you prepare to hit the road Maria.

6. Mark December 1, 2016 at 3:25 am #

Hi Becky, I would really be interested to know what you would do if you say won $500k
    on a lottery whether you play or not. I ask the question because the answer sometimes
    tells us what we would like to do now if we had the money and what we do at the moment to get by.
    I am new to the site and learning plenty!

• Becky December 2, 2016 at 5:11 pm #

I really haven’t given it serious thought Mark as I don’t do the lottery or any games of chance of that nature (statistically, you lose more than you gain). But I’ll think about it and add it to the list.

• Mark December 3, 2016 at 2:12 am #

I don’t play the lottery or gamble as far as finances go but I do kayak some precarious locations!
        I know a local guy in his mid twenties who recently lost his accommodation and lives in his van. We were discussing van living options and I informed him my research and interest would not change if I received a large sum from whatever
        source. Yes, I would have a better rig and could afford more travel etc. but the
        lifestyle would still be my intention.
        We all know some folks have the finances(retired and sold sticks and bricks etc.) but many are less fortunate (depending on your perspective) and have to go the van/RV option.
        With hindsight I may have been wise to give my answer first and then seek your
        thoughts on this?
        Hope this explains the nature of the question and look forward to your thoughts.
        After all, dreaming and “living the dream”(the excellent Bob Wells) in my mind is what it’s all about.

• Becky December 4, 2016 at 6:41 pm #

I understood the angle you were coming from with the question, but thanks for the clarification anyway Mark.

7. LINDAANDMIKE December 1, 2016 at 4:00 am #

MARK JUST GIVE BECKY THE $500K OR BETTER YET SEND HER $1,000 THROW PAYPAL SHE SO SHE CAN BUY A GENERATOR BUT IF YOU ARE A GOOD GUY YOU’LL SEND HER THE $500K SO SHE CAN TRAVEL THE WORLD…..LETS DREAM BIG LOL….PS SEND US SOME TO WILL MAKE IT A PARTY AND WE ALL WILL GO AROUND THE WORLD……..

• Becky December 2, 2016 at 5:13 pm #

Most people don’t have that kind of money just lying around to give Linda and Mike, but it is a fun dream. 😉

• Lindaandmike December 2, 2016 at 5:55 pm #

Just trying for you Becky

• Mark December 3, 2016 at 2:27 am #

“Just trying for you…” and others would be a nice thing to do.

• Mark December 3, 2016 at 2:35 am #

“LETS DREAM BIG LOL” sorry, I don’t make fun of other peoples dreams if that was your intention? and never try to gain favour at other peoples expense.

8. Lara / InspiredTrekker December 1, 2016 at 6:22 pm #

Thanks for answering. 🙂
    Lara / InspiredTrekker recently posted..After the Fact: Santa Claus, GeorgiaMy Profile

• Becky December 2, 2016 at 5:11 pm #