CamperForce Updates

Back of the 2016 CamperForce shirt

Back of the 2016 CamperForce shirt

As always when I return to Amazon, I discover that a few things have changed from the previous year, 2016 has been no exception. Today I updated the “About Amazon’s CamperForce” post to reflect these changes, so if you’ve been thinking about trying CamperForce and want to know more, that’s the place to go for all the details.

Note: As always, I am not a spokesperson or officially affiliated with Amazon in any way. When I write about CamperForce I’m doing so from my own experiences and the information can change at any time.

Most notably, the Indiana location is gone this year and the base pay at Haslet and Murfreesboro has (as of last week) increased from $10.75 to $11.50 per hour (shift bonuses still apply). If anyone reading this works at Campbellsville, I’d love to hear if the pay has changed there too so I can keep my article up to date.

Wednesday was my Orientation day and that process was pretty much the same as it was last year: an eight hour day with the first half dedicated to videos, a slideshow, and Q&A in a classroom-type setting and the second half dedicated to safety school. Except that there was a mixup at the turnstyles and my group sat at the entrance for over an hour waiting for everyone to get their badges so we could get in, so the day was really more like nine hours.

I hear that this year there were about 900 people who put in applications for the Haslet site but only about 150 were accepted (Haslet would love to have more, but that’s all the campsites they could get their hands on – the Racetrack campground which would be able to field about 200 campers is still bogged down in legal red tape and was not completed in time for this year. On the other hand, anyone who applied for Haslet was offered a position at Campbellsville, which is taking on some 700 campers this year, wow!

Another bit of news: all Haslet campers are going to be working weekend shifts this year (Thursday-Sunday, Friday-Monday, or Saturday-Tuesday). There’s been no word yet on if Haslet will have that $1.00 shift differential for working weekends, last year it didn’t start until early November.

And lastly, this year all Haslet campers are going into the ICQA (Inventory Control & Quality Assurance) department. Apparently Haslet was at the bottom of the barrel last year around this time for bin accuracy, but it increased by something like 65% when the campers started in ICQA. So management has decided to stick all of us in ICQA this year as once again bin accuracy numbers are really bad and we apparently do a good job of cleaning things up.

Today was my first day on the floor, and it seems like the actual ICQA job is pretty similar here to how it was last time I worked it in 2013, with one big difference that the work comes to you (ala KIVA robots) instead of you going to the work.

The organization is quite different though. As something new Haslet is trying this year, ICQA, Stow, and Pick are being treated as one unit instead of being managed separately as Support, Inbound, and Outbound. There is no centralized standup area for ICQA, instead we’re divided into teams by mod and floor (there are two Mods in Haslet, A and B, and each mod has four floors) and everybody in Stow, Pick and ICQA that works on the same mod and floor attends standup together on that floor. Every week, the teams rotate down a floor for the sake of variety. So this week, I’m training on the fourth floor. Next week, my “team” (which I assume includes all the Stow and Pick people on my floor as well as the ICQA people) will move down to the third floor and attend standup and work there.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all works out.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , ,

25 Responses to CamperForce Updates

1. Marilyn in Dania Beach October 8, 2016 at 5:43 pm #

May I ask what ICQA is for us lay people?

• Kim Davison October 9, 2016 at 7:50 am #

Hi, Marilyn. It’s Quality Control. I don’t know what the specific initials stand for. At Amazon, no one I ever asked know what the initials mean – they use them as if they are the names. I worked ICQA two years ago, and I liked the routine of it. I don’t know how it works at Hazlett with the robots, but at Campbellsville, I took my scanner and went where it told me, count the items in the space it directed me and enter the number in the scanner. If I was right, it sent me to another spot. If not, I had to count again. I’m starting at Campbellsville in a week. I hope I get ICQA again.

• Chey (WA coast October 9, 2016 at 10:18 am #

hmm, how about
      inter connective quality assurance?

Does any one know what is going on with RVSue? Her blog has been dark for over a week now “for maintenance” or such. Not like her to just stop blogging, she posts every other day.

• MnDreamer October 10, 2016 at 7:27 pm #

I am wondering the same about RV Sue—- concerned about her. I hope she and Reggie are ok.

• Cesar October 9, 2016 at 4:05 pm #

I quick search in Google come up with Inventory Control Quality Assurance

• Brian October 9, 2016 at 5:08 pm #

I believe it stands for Inventory Control Quality Assurance.

• Becky October 9, 2016 at 6:31 pm #

Cesar and Brian had it: Inventory Control, Quality Assurance. I wrote out the acronym (as well as more about what the job entails) in one of the articles linked from this post (the “last time” text) if anyone would like to know more.

2. Sarah Shillinger October 8, 2016 at 8:41 pm #

Very Very interesting.

• Becky October 9, 2016 at 6:33 pm #

Glad you found this helpful.

3. Kim Davison October 9, 2016 at 7:53 am #

Becky, I start at Campbellsville on the 17th, so if you haven’t had all your questions answered by then, I can give you the low-down. The extra Camperforce workers and some pipeline workers have put a real strain on the camping facilities. I had to settle for a place way out with no facilities. I hope that I there is a vacancy closer in when I get there. No one at the other campsites is answering their phone or emails…
    Kim Davison recently posted..Blueberries!My Profile

• Becky October 9, 2016 at 6:33 pm #

That’s a problem here too Kim, the farthest campground is a whopping 36 miles out, yikes. I hope you can move closer as the season progresses, I’m sure some people will leave – it always happens.

What about wages, did they change there?

4. Martha Goudey October 9, 2016 at 10:29 am #

We are about to go full-time as soon as the house closes in a week or two–pick up the Casita October 27. We have enjoyed all your adventures since we started following you in May. We’ve also been following RVSue. I can only assume you know of her and wondered if you have any idea what happened to her web site, or her. It’s the same thing if you suddenly disappeared….we develop these “relationships” with people we don’t know and when they are gone, we worry.
    Hope your work experience goes well this season.

• Becky October 9, 2016 at 6:41 pm #

Congrats on your pick up Martha, you must be very excited!

I peek at Sue’s blog on occasion (she inspired me to look at Casitas years ago) but I don’t know her personally and am not sure what’s up with her site. I’m hoping it wasn’t hacked, that happened to me earlier this year and it was a huge pain to clean up and cost a couple hundred dollars.

5. Marilyn in Dania Beach October 9, 2016 at 12:02 pm #

There have been two reports RVSue is all right and doing some type of web updating. She is also out of service area I believe.

• Becky October 9, 2016 at 6:42 pm #

Thanks for passing that info along Marilyn.

6. Martha Goudey October 9, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

Thank you Marilyn. Glad to know she is okay.

7. Chey (WA coast) October 9, 2016 at 1:21 pm #

Thank goodness! This poor “blogerino” has been loosing her mind with worry.

8. Sylvia October 10, 2016 at 5:10 pm #

Hi Becky, I was just in the Eastern Sierra with my little Jayco, photographing fall color, and met a friend of yours! Will have to find the name in my wallet…dashboard…sumwhere. I love the happy T-shirt but the artist put that trailer behind a four-cyclinder engine!

9. Sylvia October 11, 2016 at 3:52 pm #

…The names were Rayn and JJ. They say “Hi!”

• Becky October 12, 2016 at 12:29 pm #

Awesome! I’ve known them for years, we’ve done CamperForce together in the past. This summer I got to go hiking with them near their place of employment: Rock Creek Resort near Tom’s Place, I imagine that’s where you met them? Beautiful area and I hope you had a good time!

10. KATY IN NH October 11, 2016 at 9:37 pm #

RV SUE is back online – yea!

11. David Lee October 14, 2016 at 3:44 am #

Becky, my wife and I are in our third week as pickers in Campbellsville. We go in at 5:30 pm and work until 4:00 am. We get $11.50 an hour, where as the day shifts receive $10.75. I’m not sure about a weekend bonus, as I’ve not pulled up my pay stub online, yet.

• Becky October 15, 2016 at 8:01 pm #

So the base pay has not increased there, interesting. Thanks for sharing David.

12. LJH November 4, 2016 at 7:00 pm #

Welcome back to Texas Becky! We Amazon sellers appreciate you and all the season workers. A great big thank you!!!

• Becky November 6, 2016 at 8:56 pm #

You’re welcome LJH and thanks!