Goodbye Colorado

September 23, Friday

goodbye-colorado-1

Click for larger image. Photo by Brock Brinkerhoff

A few of us opt to stay one more night at Salida, CO even though the convergence is officially over, and despite the strong winds, drizzle, and cold temperatures, the evening just doesn’t feel right without a campfire.

So we huddle around in our cold-weather gear with our feet almost in the fire pit. The rain blows over and it’s like someone has flipped a switch, the clouds vanish and the stars come out in force. They’re brighter than they’ve been the past week, maybe because the rain has cleared the dust from the sky. Brock gets one last night photograph, and it’s a real winner. The halo of light from the fire does interesting things to the color of the milky way.

Then the clouds come back in and it’s snowing and sleeting. We tough it out for a while just for the bragging rights of sitting around a campfire under such conditions, but before ten pm I’m snuggled in my sleeping bag under the covers, toasty and comfortable.

September 24, Saturday,

Some mornings, I wake up ready to travel. Today is not one of those days.

But one of the beauties of this lifestyle is the flexibility. I have until the 3rd to get to Texas, there’s no need to rush. I take my time working on the blog and packing up. By the time I pull out it’s nearing 2 pm and I’m the last one left in camp. Whoever stays here next will love all the firewood we had to leave behind. It’s goodbye to my fellow Xscapers for now, but I’ll be seeing a lot of them again in Quartzsite this winter.

goodbye-colorado-2

Bertha rolls down US50 east along the Arkansas River. It’s a beautiful drive, at times cliffs press up right against the road and river.

goodbye-colorado-3

In other spots, the valley opens up and snow dusts the peaks of the mountains from last night’s precipitation.

goodbye-colorado-4

At Texas Creek, I drive past my turnoff without recognizing it even though my GPS is pulled up. 69 looks like an ally between two buildings in town, narrow and unassuming. I have further misgivings when the road climbs sharply up into the hills – Google Maps doesn’t know I’m pulling a trailer and sometimes it chooses some… interesting routes.

Bertha handles the incline well and the steep part ends relatively quickly. After that, the valley widens and the land becomes more arid. I’ve left the high mountains behind.

69 ends at I25 near Walsenburg. When stopping there for gas I realize that this is the same travel center I stayed overnight at last year when coming down from Yellowstone. The sun sinks below the horizon. For a truck stop, it’s relatively quiet overnight.

September, 25, Sunday

goodbye-colorado-5

It’s a clear and sunny morning, most of the trucks have already left when I roll out of bed. The drive down I25 to New Mexico is short, Colorado was nice but after my unexpected extended stay it feels nice to be somewhere else. At Springer I turn east onto US412 and at the next town, south onto 39 into Kiowa National Grassland, where I hit a small bird.

I always feel horrible when I hit an animal while driving, this is the first time it’s happened since I became a full-timer. A flock of finches or sparrows is on the road, and this one is too slow to take off. As soon as I’m able to, I stop and get it off the grill. It looks perfect, no visible damage from the impact. I hope it died instantly and didn’t suffer. Sorry little guy.

Going around a corner past the grassland, a vista unfolds. Oh, guess I’m going down. It’s an 8% grade for two miles, the speed limit drops to 35 mph because of the curves. I was naturally a little concerned about how Bertha would perform on this first major drive post-repairs, but my fears are unfounded. She’s behaving perfectly fine, and before long I’m safe and sound at the bottom.

Here's a photo from the top before going down

Here’s a photo from the top before going down

39 ends at the small town of Loga, and from there it’s a short hop on US54 to tonight’s destination, Tucumcari, NM (named for Tucumcari Mountain, if you’re curious like me and wonder about the odd name). This little town has two RV parks, I stay at Mountain Road because it’s cheaper than the KOA. The facility are dated but clean, and my site is level enough to park without unhooking. Somehow I fail to get a picture of the place, it’s not a destination park so there wasn’t anything worth photographing but it’s fine for a stop-over.

September 26, Monday

South of Tucumcari, a network of small roads takes me to Clovis. The lower gas prices seem a good indicator that the Texas boarder is approaching. Truckers are pouring into Love’s for a quick bite to eat while I cook on the stove in the parking lot. It’s so handy being able to eat well no matter where I am.

goodbye-colorado-7

goodbye-colorado-8Around 4 I arrive in Lubbock, TX, where I’ll be moochdocking in a friend’s driveway for a few days. Misty cooks an amazing stir fry for dinner and we spend the evening on the couch watching Netflix. Just because I don’t own a TV or have a Netflix subscription myself doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the opportunity when it comes along! Her house is in a good neighborhood and the evening is warm and pleasant, it feels great to spread out in the bed and not be confined to my sleeping bag.

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , ,

22 Responses to Goodbye Colorado

1. Jeff September 27, 2016 at 2:47 pm #

Brock did a fabulous exposure to capture your final evening! A great image to frame. Enjoy the Buddy Holly music.
    Jeff recently posted..Mission Valley Preserve and PIFA–Hike and BikeMy Profile

• Becky September 28, 2016 at 12:24 pm #

Yeah Jeff, he’s got talent. Thanks and take care.

2. Todd September 27, 2016 at 5:01 pm #

Thanks for adding to my vocabulary. Moochdocking is a new one for me. Safe travels.

• Becky September 28, 2016 at 12:25 pm #

I didn’t invent the term, I heard it from another RVer and appropriated it, haha. So true though.

• Christine Humphrey September 29, 2016 at 7:53 am #

Hi, Becky! First time for me too, hearing that term! I’ve mooched before and also been on the receiving end of the mooch! Love your travels, descriptions, photos, and “links” to some of your fellow RVers, i.e. Brock. So glad you are back on the road and headed to your next adventure!

• Becky September 29, 2016 at 9:59 am #

Glad you’re enjoying IO Christine, thanks for reading.

3. Tom Moore September 27, 2016 at 5:17 pm #

That campfire picture is amazing.

Welcome back to Texas

• Becky September 28, 2016 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks Tom. Yeah, sometimes I think about buying a camera that could do that. But I know I don’t have the patience to set up for that kind of shot.

4. Howard September 28, 2016 at 5:01 am #

Welcome back to Texas, Becky! I know the Clovis-Lubbock stretch from my increasingly regular trip to Santa Fe. I hope Amazon is enjoyable and rewarding this year.

• Becky September 28, 2016 at 12:43 pm #

Thanks Howard. I’m enjoying being truly warm again and not needing my sleeping bag at night. Hopefully we can skip the flooding and tornadoes though this year…

5. Gary Brooks September 28, 2016 at 3:12 pm #

Always enjoy your posts Becky, and glad Bertha is back “on the road again”. I just about spit my beer out on my iPad at your “moochdocking” love the term. I’ve been through a lot of the places you have been writing about recently, but without my casita. You have given me some great ideas of places to explore with my casita (no name yet) in the near future. Best of luck on your work force in Texas, look forward to your continuing adventure!

• Becky September 29, 2016 at 10:08 am #

Casitas are so fun to go camping with, they fit almost anywhere. Glad you found this post inspiring and thanks!

6. Dawn in MI September 28, 2016 at 5:37 pm #

They are all great images. Glad Bertha is handling herself well.
    Dawn in MI recently posted..Wordless WednedayMy Profile

• Becky September 29, 2016 at 10:17 am #

Thanks for reading Dawn.

7. Kent September 28, 2016 at 7:16 pm #

T for Texas.. T for tennosee……….. Old country song.. Had you thrown a rock a few miles out of your window in one of your photos it would have landed in my lap.. CO ain’t what it used to be with all of us critters crawling all over it.. But, we do our best. Gentle journeys there my friend.. Peace, happiness and joy be with you..

• Becky September 29, 2016 at 10:18 am #

Thanks Kent. I’ll enjoy visiting Colorado again someday.

8. Rick September 28, 2016 at 9:59 pm #

Getting cool do you work your way south Becky?

• Becky September 29, 2016 at 10:21 am #

Well I’m working my way to Haslet to.. well, work. After that I’ll be going to Arizona.

9. Jodee Gravel September 30, 2016 at 7:23 am #

How sweet to have that beautiful photo from your last night. Glad Bertha is in tip top shape again and that you’ve found warmer temps for a bit. Moochdocking is always fun with the added bonus of friends and their goodies!

• Becky September 30, 2016 at 9:48 am #

Thanks Jodee and yes, I’m enjoying myself!

10. Duane M. Rykhus October 2, 2016 at 9:45 am #

Thank you for another great blog entry ! just a thought you have been doing this for a couple of years I’m thinking of a Scamp 13′ foot with no toilet / shower but will have a portable toilet. Life experience is great information do you feel the hole black water tank issues is a big hassle ? thank you for your time. Safe Travels Duane M. Rykhus

• Becky October 2, 2016 at 10:38 am #

Hello Duane,

I’ve never had a problem with the black tank, but I educated myself on the potential problems ahead of time and took appropriate measures to be prepared (knew the process, bought a high-quality hose, etc). It helps that in my Casita the black tank is directly below the toilet, so it’s easy to see when it’s getting full and if there’s stuff left in it after dumping (in which case i fill it with water and dump again). It’s not exactly “fun” dealing with the black tank – won’t be “fun” dealing with a portable toilet either I imagine – but it just comes with the territory. Hope this helps, take care!