Upheaval

Edit 5/21/16: “Jessica” did not end up working out, but I decided to leave this post untouched other than to add this disclaimer at the top so new readers aren’t wondering why I never talk about her. I ended up fostering her for almost three weeks before driving her down to her new family near Los Angeles.

Saturday, April 23

As I was finishing up yesterday’s blog post in the evening, typing away on the computer, the sky grew dark prematurely. Hmm, I wonder if this is...

upheaval-1

Yep, the reason why I decided to travel today instead of Friday. A mass of dark clouds looms behind the mountains to the west. A family with an A-frame type trailer is backing into the spot down on the beach and I whisper encouragement to the mother-father team as they try to get set up before the rain starts. They get lucky, the clouds look impressive but doesn’t end up raining much here, just a gusty wind.

Today dawns bright and clear as I pull out of Keyesville camp at 8 am. It’s just over 300 miles to my destination in the delta bay area north of here and the first 40 or so are going to be slow going.

I retrace my steps to Bakersfield, CA along the twisting thread of 178. There are more pullouts heading southwest than there were going northeast, so the traffic is happier with me. Fluffy cumulus clouds brush the peaks but there is no rain in them today.

upheaval-2

Back in town, I make two stops. One at Walmart for bread which I forgot to pick up in Lake Isabella, the second to a pet store to look at a dog gate I found online that might work to block off the storage area underneath my bed. Finding a way to convert part of that storage area into a crate is going to be the hardest part of bringing a dog into the Casita, but I’m confident I’ll find a solution. I look at the space and can see exactly what I want to do with it, but I don’t have the carpentry skills to tackle the project myself.

To get to Isleton, CA it’s equidistant taking I5 or Highway 99. I opt for 99 arbitrarily.

The drive is uneventful. The scenery is nothing real special, but at least the fact that it’s spring means the valley is green more or less. A hay cart in one farmer’s field has a white sign with red block lettering mounted on the side: “Pray for rain”.

99 is pretty smooth going, with the exception of some bridges and underpasses that haven’t been surfaced as recently. I drive all the way to Isleton just west of Lodi without stopping, and by the time I arrive it’s going on 4 pm and I’m quite hungry.

upheaval-3

The RV park I chose isn’t the closest to the rescue dog I’m interested in, but it’s convenient for other reasons. I’d helped the owner of the park back in February with some marketing advice, and was told if I ever found myself in the area, I could stay for free for a couple nights. I hadn’t thought anything of it at the time, but realized a couple weeks ago it was within a reasonable driving distance from this dog; serendipity at its finest!

Sunday, April 24

Off to the city I go!

upheaval-4

A solitary peak dominates the view to the west, that must be Mt. Diablo, and that’s the general direction I’m heading. I cross the toll bridge into Antioch and stay on highway 4 until Concord, where I get off on 680 toward Walnut Creek. The land changes as I go, becoming hilly and then forested. The whole east bay area is quite built up and on weekdays commuting traffic can be a nightmare. On a Sunday morning, I have all five lanes more or less to myself – a big reason why I chose today for the visit.

upheaval-5

At Walnut Creek, I get on 24 heading to Oakland, phew, what a drive. One hour and 15 minutes after leaving Isleton, I arrive.

upheaval-6Some adopters know instantly when the find the right pet, it’s love at first sight. That’s never been my way.

I have a more cautious personality and the analytical part of my brain won’t let my emotional side take the reigns in any situation where there is a lot at stake. This little girl is cute and a good candidate, but I need to think it through. By reading her description on the rescue website months ago (she’s been waiting a while for a home) I knew she had good potential as a travel dog and further discussion on the phone with the foster parent a couple weeks ago once my application was approved confirmed it. She’s not perfect of course, most rescue or shelter animals have some issue or another due to their challenging past, but her problems are things I  can handle.

The foster mom and I take a walk with dogs in tow to a nearby park in Montclair. The park is a thin ribbon of redwoods and other trees on the side of a hill bordered by residential neighborhoods. We pass walkers, joggers, bikers, and other dogs on the trail, and “Jessica” as she is called by the rescue does well with all of them. The trail out and back totals just under three miles and she ends as strongly as she started, confirming that she is not the “pillow princess” kind of little dog.

upheaval-7

After the walk, we drop the dogs off and the foster mom and I head to Rudy’s Can’t Fail Cafe in Oakland, a favorite with the locals with a neat atmosphere. I get a breakfast burrito with spicy pepper in it, it’s fantastic. Having given the subject of Jessica a lot of thought during the walk and at lunch, my head and my heart are both finally in agreement. I decide to adopt her and tentatively decide on Piper as a name, although that may change after I get to know her better.

upheaval-8It’s hard to describe how I feel having come to that decision. Excited and nervous, but I think the word that best describes the situation is “upheaval”.

This will be my first dog, ever. My first pet larger than a gerbil. Adopting a dog is no small responsibility, and up until now I haven’t been responsible for anyone but myself, which made a lot of decisions surrounding my life simpler. I’ve given a lot of thought to adopting and know this is what I want to do, but that doesn’t make this moment any more comfortable. But I’ve always been of the opinion that the best choices are often ones that push the boundaries of your comfort zone. Starting a blog was not comfortable. Going full-timing was not comfortable. Writing a book was not comfortable. And yet all of them ended up being great decisions. And so perhaps it shouldn’t come as a surprise that pulling the proverbial trigger on another change as momentous as adoption has also turned out to be somewhat uncomfortable.

Examining these feelings and reaching this conclusion does not make the discomfort go away, but at least I can confirm they are related to the process and not the dog. She will be coming home with me on Saturday the 30th.

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

upheaval-9

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , , , ,

85 Responses to Upheaval

1. Cathy April 26, 2016 at 9:35 pm #

Congrats on the new family member. We have two dogs now that are so much fun!

• Becky April 26, 2016 at 11:05 pm #

Thanks Cathy, I’m really looking forward to bringing her home. 🙂

2. Ed April 26, 2016 at 9:41 pm #

When you leave the RV park you are in near Isleton, can you tell me it’s name, Please ?

• Becky April 26, 2016 at 11:08 pm #

Park Delta Bay, http://deltabay.org/

I’ll be writing more about it next post when I can give the place the attention it deserves, I wanted to focus this one on Piper. 🙂

3. Sheila Hagadone April 26, 2016 at 9:46 pm #

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    And congratulations to Piper, too!
    It looks like she is part Papillon, part Shih Tzu, and part Chihuahua.

• Becky April 26, 2016 at 11:11 pm #

Her parentage is a mystery as no records exist from before she was about a year and a half of age. My vet tech friend thinks her more wiry coat indicates terrier in there somewhere, but she could be about anything. She’s more visibly Papillon than any other breed though.

• Sheila Hagadone April 27, 2016 at 10:08 am #

Bet she is part “bundle of love”!!!

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 10:20 am #

She’s very loving of her foster mom, but it takes her a while to warm up to new people. She’s not skittish or afraid, just indifferent. The foster mom said it took her about a week to be comfortable with her, so hopefully a week from Saturday I can agree with you. 🙂

4. Lynne (WinnieViews) April 26, 2016 at 10:30 pm #

Congrats Becky– what a sweety! Dogs can certainly add more constraints and complications to your life (my last few years with my yellow Lab, Millie, were quite intensive and expensive), but I wouldn’t have chosen any other way. They bring so much more than they take!

I’m not yet ready for another dog, but when I am, I definitely want it to be a rescue. Far too many dogs in this world who need loving homes! Congrats for opening your home to little Piper!

• Becky April 26, 2016 at 11:14 pm #

I think so too Lynne, Piper will make traveling a little harder, but not enough to outweigh the benefits as far as I’m concerned.

“Adopt, don’t shop”.

5. Tina April 26, 2016 at 10:32 pm #

Wow, what a little cutie! Thanks for being honest in this process. A fur baby is a big responsibility and lots involved, looking forward to how things go. You pasted right by my area in Walnut Creek. 🙂

All the best to you both.

Tina

• Becky April 26, 2016 at 11:16 pm #

When I go back to pick her up on Saturday I’ll wave as I drive past Tina, haha.

Honesty is always the best policy in my book, some people might be tempted to show only the bright and happy side of adoption (and don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy!) but I wouldn’t be giving the whole picture if I didn’t talk about how unnerving choosing a companion that may be with you 15+ years can be.

6. Gary April 26, 2016 at 10:32 pm #

Congratulations, Piper will be great company once she gets you trained!

• Becky April 26, 2016 at 11:17 pm #

Haha, thanks Gary.

7. Misty April 26, 2016 at 11:10 pm #

She is so adorable! 🙂 She definitely looks like more of a “Piper” than a “Jessica”… But I’m sure you’ll pick the perfect name for her, whatever you choose.

Congratulations! Now you have to swing by Texas sometime so I can meet her. XD If you come after I buy my house, you can park in my driveway and save some money on your way through!
    Misty recently posted..Delightful Devilry promotion is nearly over!My Profile

• Becky April 26, 2016 at 11:24 pm #

I’ll probably be working at the Texas Amazon site again this year, so chances are good I’ll be driving through your neck of the woods in September on the way there and late December on the way out.

I hope your house hunting goes well, and congrats on getting Delightful Devilry out!

• Lynn April 27, 2016 at 10:57 am #

Congratulations. I have a rescue also and he loves the full time life. You’ll have to let me know what you will do with Piper while working at Amazon. I hope to work at Amazon in KY and that’s the first thing I worried about. Have been told there are people who can walk your dogs but it’s a bit worrisome to let strangers take care of your animal. Mine has special needs and needs medication. Again, congrats on your decision to adopt. I never thought you would get a dog but you’ll see how wonderful a companion they are.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 12:40 pm #

Plenty of campers who work at Amazon have dogs Lynn, there are always couples where one works for Amazon and the other doesn’t for whatever reason, and they make a little money walking everyone else’s dogs, haha. I’ve never heard of anyone having issues with their RV being messed with or their dog harmed, most RVers are pretty great folks. If you can’t find anyone at the campground you start at that can take care of your pet’s special needs, ask around at Amazon and you could always move to a different campground, that happens quite a bit.

• Lynn April 27, 2016 at 2:38 pm #

Thanks for the Information. I’ll check at the campground when I am offered the job. I’m sure I’ll be able to find someone. Enjoy your new addition–I know you will.

8. Allie April 26, 2016 at 11:51 pm #

Congrats!! I grew up with a small-ish dog, but in my 20s adopted two big fluffy pups 13 and 12 years ago now. Best thing ever. It definitely changes decisions and options in many ways, but they are always worth it. Mine are great travelers and my preference to take them with me when I travel is part of why I love RVing. Good luck with everything!

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:00 am #

Thanks Allie!

My family had a beagle growing up and we’d take her on tent camping trips.

9. Shelly April 27, 2016 at 3:00 am #

Congratulations to both you and Piper! She is a beautiful doggie, look forward to hearing all about her new adventures with you.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:01 am #

Thanks Shelly, it should be a good time. 🙂

10. Rick April 27, 2016 at 3:38 am #

I’ve changed my mind about your adoption. I posted my reservations about it a few blog entries ago but after remembering that you have background in caring for animals, I think you’ll do fine. Another full timer who is a Youtuber (Chris and G) brought in a huge dog into their limited space and have had difficulties. Not really fair to a large dog to be confined. Another Youtuber Nomadic Fanatic does very well with his cat. But I think your little one will do well and will take some patience as an owner. I wish you all the best in this endeavor.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:12 am #

I know several full-time bloggers with pets, RVSue travels in a Casita with two small dogs, a chihuahua and a rat terrier. Nina and Paul of WheelingIt travel with a mid-size dog and two cats. Jackie and Michelle of BlueRoad full-time in a teardrop with a small dog, Glenn of To Simplify traveled in his van full-time with a cat until the cat died of old age. Not all dogs are compatible with traveling, rescues gives a person the best chance to find one that is. Thanks.

11. Loup Garou April 27, 2016 at 3:49 am #

It’ll all work out. It’ll be stressful for both parties in the beginning. You’ll be getting used to her as well as she will to you.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:13 am #

Yep, there’ll be a transition phase I’m sure. I can’t wait until she smiles at me the way she smiles at the foster mom (that second photo of her was taken by the foster mom at the vet a couple weeks ago).

12. Sarah April 27, 2016 at 4:36 am #

Congratulations! My first dog — and my second, ha — are both going to be traveling with me once I sell my house and buy my RV and I’ve been strategizing ways to make the transition with them. Dog #2 is not currently loving getting used to his new harness, but he’ll get there. I look forward to learning more about how it works out for you and the challenges you discover along the way. But I’m sure it will be worth it. Owning a dog changed my life but entirely for the better.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:15 am #

I’m sure Dog #2 will adapt with time Sarah. Piper isn’t thrilled with her harness and can’t be left in one all the time because she’ll tangle herself up trying to escape, but she tolerates it for walks. 🙂

13. Dawn in Mi April 27, 2016 at 4:49 am #

Congratulations! You are both lucky to have found each other. Hugs to you both.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:16 am #

Thanks Dawn!

14. Sandy April 27, 2016 at 5:07 am #

This was meant to be!!

I had a similar experience when I got my Amy from a rescue. Cautious with a lot of research upfront (and continuing for 10 years now). There was a week or two when we were working out her issues (and mine), but the core of the bond is immediate and just keeps growing.

May you and Piper have the same relationship that Amy and I have. You can’t beat unconditional love and that is what they offer. Soon you will be in sync and then even in each others heads as you find your ways to communicate. For us, it started with a bell on the door. The rest came easy after that.

Congratulations!!!

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:17 am #

Thanks Sandy! That’s such a sweet story, I’m so glad you and Amy found each other.

15. MB from VA April 27, 2016 at 5:26 am #

Congratulations on finding your travel companion! And good for you for giving it lots of thought before doing so. Some people don’t. And then when the “upheaval” comes…..because it will……welllll…….that’s how lots of pets end up in rescue or much worse. There is almost always a day or two in the beginning when you say to yourself, “What was I thinking???!!!” That’s normal when you make a choice that jolts your lifestyle a bit. But some people never seem to consider this and then are in shock when it happens. I wish for you many happy days together. When it is my turn to go, I will have a Chihuahua, a Retriever mix and a 15.6 year old cat. Gonna make things interesting…..but, we’ll figure it out. Have a great day with your new friend. The best feeling is when you realize that you have found your rhythm and routine……I’m sure you’ll find that very soon. MB from VA + 3.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:22 am #

I cringe when I hear of people who just decide one day they need a pet and make a trip to the pet store or shelter and bring one home that same day. The vet tech in me knows from experience that those pairings aren’t likely to succeed. The moment the pet does something the person doesn’t like or needs medical care, the infatuation is over and they give them up.

I wish you and your +3 all the best MB, I’m sure you’ll make it work out. Thanks!

16. Beverly in CA April 27, 2016 at 5:29 am #

Congratulations, how exciting your new adventure will be. It also happened not to far from me, you passed by me in Pleasant Hill. Best wishes for you, both.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:24 am #

All the cool people live in the east bay it seems Beverly, thanks!

17. Megan McGee April 27, 2016 at 5:41 am #

Congratulations, Becky & Piper! You will love sharing your journeys with your new partner! I own a 13 ft. vintage Scamp and my (big) Aussie and I share the road, too, but not full time yet. She is so much fun and makes me laugh all the time, as will Piper. You are truly an inspiration to us all! Can’t wait to read more.

Megan
    Lexington, KY

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:25 am #

I love those little 13 footers Megan, thanks and I wish you all the best getting on the road full-time. 🙂

18. Fireman Steve April 27, 2016 at 7:11 am #

Congratulations and good luck with your new traveling buddy. Looks like a cutie.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:26 am #

Thanks Steve, she is pretty darn cute, if a bit hard to photograph. 😉

19. Furry Gnome April 27, 2016 at 7:27 am #

Well congratulations and good luck! Hope she turns out to be a good travel dog. We’ ve had a dog for about 40 plus years (4 of them), and always enjoyed it. But right now our urrent dog is lying at my feet having had surgery yesterday after blowing out her knee! I’m hoping she recovers well enough not to have a permanent disability.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:29 am #

I’m sorry to hear that gnome and I hope her recovery goes well. Was it a torn cruciate ligament? Dogs usually recover well from those as long as you can keep them from using it too heavily while it heals.

20. Linda April 27, 2016 at 7:44 am #

I’m so happy for you. I live in this area but am camping at present. I will be back on Sunday and would love to meet you and buy your lunch (there is a fantastic Mexican restaurant in Pittsburg called New Mecca), if you would like to meet me there. I am in the process of selling my house and hopefully going full time soon with my sister. She wants to do the Amazon thing as she is too young to retire. We have the rolling home just need to dejunk and get going. Our two little dogs make life so much better.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:31 am #

I really appreciate the offer Linda, but that’s a long drive to make and it’s going to be the day after I bring her home and I think it’ll be be best to hang around the RV for a few days so she has time to get use to it. Thanks though and I’ll keep that restaurant in mind for the future, have a good camping trip and I hope your transition to full-timing goes smoothly, congrats!

21. Jerry Minchey April 27, 2016 at 8:11 am #

Becky,

I’m sure Piper checked your references before you got there and then during the 3-mile walk she watched you closely and decide that you were friendly, you were smart, and you could be easily trained to do what she told you to do. She also decided that with a little training you would be obedient. You weren’t perfect, but she decided to adopt you anyway.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:32 am #

Haha, very funny Jerry. I can imagine her on the phone calling dogs I’ve had contact with over the years to ask. 😉

22. rvbrucrew April 27, 2016 at 8:29 am #

Congratulations! I also adopted a 3 yr old papillon 4 yrs ago. He was also a rescue and I am his 5th owner. He is the best dog now! I take him everywhere I can. They make wonderful travel companions and hiking buddies. I got him because my husband cannot hike very much with me and it is nice not to be alone on a hike. Papillons are such troopers. Just be firm, patient and loving – they can be real manipulators. You will learn to trust each other. So happy for you. We plan on full-timing in 1-2 yrs. Hope to see you down the road. Until then – Love reading your blog.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:40 am #

People look at Papillons and see the long fur and small size and think they wouldn’t be good walkers and it’s true some aren’t, but not all of them are like that. 🙂

Yeah, I’ve heard that about the breed. Piper had a firm foster mom who brought her in line after her previous owner let her get away with anything, so she’s pretty well trained and responsive at least.

Glad you’re enjoying my blog, I hope your transition to full-timing goes well!

23. Biz Crate April 27, 2016 at 8:40 am #

Oh, Becky!
    How wonderful for you and your new travel companion! (Be she Jessica, Piper or whomever)
    I am still in sticks and bricks for another month but I can say that, in any home, adopting a rescue is mixed bag of adoration and frustration. Upheaval is a well chosen discription.
    My miniature Poodle, Pete (American for Pierre) is now 10 years old and I adopted him at about 4 mos old. He still retains behaviors to this day that I can only attribute to his early impressions of being locked in cage full of weanlings without much human interaction. He has earned the nickname Sneaky Pete with his wary, circling behavior when first meeting someone. This circling and sniffing sets up a negative image and people (rightfully) expect him to be a fear bitter. I have been unable to break him of this behavior so I substituted a “Say Hi” command to help break the ice. Say Hi means that he sits at my side, forcing him to face the visitor; which is an important social cue for humans – and he offers his paw in a “shake hands” fashion. Visitors are smitten and tend to overlook the rest of his odd but harmless behaviors.
    Of course, at a year and a half, we can hope that your dog has had many opportunities for socialization but who knows what she may bring along. Keeping in mind that I needed to learn “Dog” as a second language just as Pete needed to learn English helped me remain patient. Even more so when I considered that the accepted norms and behaviors in the land of Dog were very different from the cultural norms of humans, but they can be learned.
    Good luck with your little Papillon mix, she sure is a cutie-pie! I look forward to hearing much more of your shared adventures in future posts.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 9:50 am #

Heya Biz,

Piper is actually 4 or 5, when I said 1.5 I meant that no records exist from before the time she was about one and a half. She’s had at least two owners before the rescue got her and was in a shelter once before. Luckily for me PapHaven does an excellent job with socialization, her foster mom had her for about 6 months and she responds quite well to simple commands now and knows how to behave properly more or less. She’s not a super affectionate dog though and It’ll take her a while to bond to me so I’m sure the first week or two will be interesting. Thanks.

24. Ron April 27, 2016 at 8:55 am #

Great post again, I usually read your blog posts on my smart phone and was going to donate for dog treats but no donate button when using smart phone. Amazon button is there. Had to go to laptop. Anyhow Congrats. Ron

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 10:00 am #

Huh, I’ll try opening the blog on my iPhone and see if the button is there, never really thought to check to a smartphone. Thanks very much for the donation Ron!

• Biz Crate April 27, 2016 at 10:25 am #

Thank you for the reminder, Ron – I never even thought of donating a bag of dog food (or the $ equilivent) until I read your comment.
      Heading back to the top of the page to find the Donate button!

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 12:41 pm #

Thanks for donating Biz!

25. Russell Wallace April 27, 2016 at 10:03 am #

Becky,

I hope that Piper enjoys traveling as much as our rescue, Jake, does. Having a dog is like having a permanent 3 year old, active and always needing attention and care. Having a dog is so rewarding. People may tell you how lucky Piper is that you adopted her, but I think you will soon realize that you are the lucky one to have her.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 10:16 am #

The foster mom says she’s done well on trips to Lake Tahoe and down to LA, so that sounds promising. She definitely rides well in the car. That’s one of the reasons I was interested in her.

And your toddler analogy seems pretty accurate from other dogs I’ve known. Thanks.

26. Swankie April 27, 2016 at 10:28 am #

Good luck, Becky. (achooooo, itch itch…. oh, it’s just me)
    Swankie recently posted..Arizona National Trail—Passages 17 Scouting Trip (April 23-24, 2016)My Profile

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 12:43 pm #

Hehe, thanks Swankie. 🙂

27. Rosemary Rizzo April 27, 2016 at 11:35 am #

Oh Becky, she is adorable. Definitely lots of Pap in her DNA. Good that you did the short hike with her.
    Good luck.
    Rosemary.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 12:45 pm #

Thanks Rosemary, she’s a little trooper on walks!

28. Dave Rambeau April 27, 2016 at 11:46 am #

Becky,
    Slight change of subject, long driving stints without a break can be dangerous, blood clots can form in your legs. Take a break now and then

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 12:47 pm #

Hehe, your concern is appreciated Dave.

29. Rob April 27, 2016 at 11:53 am #

Congrats on your new Piper…we full time with our best canine friend “Goldie”… Great choice…

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 12:49 pm #

Thanks Rob, I bet Goldie is pretty happy get to explore new places all the time. 🙂

30. Ernesto Quintero April 27, 2016 at 3:21 pm #

I’m sure you made the right decision and Piper will be a great companion. I’m a single 55YO male and I have a Lhasa Apso female named Daisy and love her like a daughter. Enjoy your new best friend. 🙂

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 10:57 pm #

Thanks Ernesto.

31. Kim April 27, 2016 at 3:27 pm #

Yay! You are both lucky to find each other!
    Kim recently posted..Rest StopMy Profile

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 10:58 pm #

Thanks Kim! I think so too

32. Lynn April 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm #

I had never had a dog before I adopted my rescue. It was a case of love at first site but only after I decided I really wanted a dog and the responsibility. I wasn’t traveling for work anymore and could be home with one. It is one decision that I have never regretted even though our first year together was not easy. She was undiagnosed hypothyroid and had a few food issues but we got that all straightened out and she is the best. I especially love taking her with me when traveling in the van. The love grows!!!!

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 11:05 pm #

So glad you got her the right help Lynn and that she’s doing better now. Thanks. 🙂

33. Kathy Hurley April 27, 2016 at 5:02 pm #

So excited for you and Piper. With my first dog I always say there were some behavior problems in the beginning but she soon straightened me out.
    If you feel you need some guidance my suggestion would be watch, read and listen to Cesar Milan the Dog Whisperer and remember just stay calm and learn to be a pack leader. It’s our energy they react to.
    On the 30th you may be picking up one of the best things that ever happened to you.

All the best,
    Kathu

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 11:07 pm #

Thanks Kathy, although I’ve heard bad things from dog trainers and my fellow vet techs about Cesar Milan and the methods he employs.

34. Linda Sand April 27, 2016 at 5:37 pm #

I look forward to watching this relationship develop. Learning to speak dog will help a lot. My Mom taught her schnoodle to say “out” by Mom asking if she wanted to go out, with emphasis on a high pitched “out”, every time the dog went to the door. Pretty soon the dog would go to the door and say, “Ouww” when she wanted to go out. So cute but also helpful if Mom didn’t see her head for the door.

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 11:09 pm #

Aww, that’s really cute Linda. 🙂

35. Dave Burdick April 27, 2016 at 6:23 pm #

My rescue some 6 1/2 years ago, Skruffy, was right off the street…and abandoned dog. She bonded with me in less than 15 minutes, and to this day I wonder who rescued who… Good luck Becky.
    Dave Burdick recently posted..Berkeley for Dinner with SonMy Profile

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 11:10 pm #

Great story Dave. Piper has a more reserved personality and does not bond to people as quickly.

36. Frank April 27, 2016 at 6:42 pm #

Maybe you could rename your blog, “Travels With Piper”. I remember someone else having a book called “Travels With Charlie”. I think he was a fairly successful writer!

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 11:12 pm #

I purposely did not put a name or anything specific to RVing in the title of the blog, so that if something changed later I wouldn’t need to re-brand everything. 😉 Cute idea for a book though.

37. Jodee Gravel April 27, 2016 at 9:25 pm #

She’s sure a cutie. I hope you are able to get really, really excited about your new travel companion when you bring her home. It’s a big step for someone who’s never had a dog – and for a dog who’s never had a permanent home. I haven’t been to Isleton in years, such a cute little place along the Delta. Nice to know there’s a park there.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..The Blessing of Lifetime Friends – Fun Times in LaughlinMy Profile

• Becky April 27, 2016 at 11:13 pm #

There are a lot of parks here actually, the Delta Loop is teeming with them. I’ll be writing more about the park on Friday likely.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

38. Christi April 29, 2016 at 5:18 pm #

Congratulations!!! She is one lucky pooch!! You will be a great dog mom. You put so much thought into this decision – that shows the level of your commitment! Piper is going to be a great companion to you and you to her. Can’t wait to hear all about your adventures together!!

• Becky April 29, 2016 at 11:14 pm #

Thanks Christi, I’m so excited! Tomorrow’s the big day!

39. Park May 27, 2016 at 9:09 am #

Good on you for adopting your new friend. I too travel with a small dog and he is the best friend I’ve ever had. You’re going to love having him around.

• Becky May 27, 2016 at 7:29 pm #

If you read a couple posts farther you’ll see that it didn’t work out with this particular dog Park. Someday though I’ll find her or him. 🙂