Homeviews

As I was perusing my photo albums yesterday I realized that in many places I’ve camped, I had a picture with a black frame around it: a photo taken from inside Cas looking out. I made a sort of mini-album of these pictures and others with one big rule in mind, the picture had to be taken right at my campsite.

These photos aren’t as scenic as many of the shots that grace this blog, because for the majority of the year I’m staying in employee campgrounds which aren’t as pretty as RV spots visitors pay to stay at. But it’s still an interesting way to look at my travels, my Casita’s view of the adventure.Β It’s also a nice trip down memory lane for those who’ve been following IO a while, or a good way to catch up on places I’ve been for those who haven’t.

Stoneycrest Plantation Campground, where I lived for four months with Julie working at my last "real" job before hitting the road in the summer of 2012.

Stoneycrest Plantation Campground in Bluffton, SC, where I lived for four months with Julie in the summer of 2012 working at my last “real” job before hitting the road.

Indian Springs State Park, GA. This was the start of my full-timing journey on 9/14/12, the flowers were a going away gift.

The oak forest surrounding my site at Harry Truman State Park, MO.  I fell in love with the Ozarks area after stopping at SD to become a resident. 9/12.

The oak forest surrounding my site at Harry Truman State Park, MO. I fell in love with the Ozarks area after stopping at SD to become a resident, the trees were a welcome sight after months of camping in a field at Stoneycrest. 9/12.

Big Chief RV Park in Coffeyville, KS where I stayed while working at Amazon in the fall of 2012. The buildings are still under construction.

Thomas' RV in Hardeeville, GA. This is where I stayed while working for Lowe's my first winter on the road - early 2013.

Thomas’ RV in Hardeeville, GA. This is where I stayed while working for Lowe’s my first winter on the road – early 2013.

My first summer park job was in the Badlands, SD, not that I could see the badlands from my site. Strong storms were common, this may even have been the one that produced hail big enough to crack the Casita's roof. Summer 2013.

My first summer park job was in the Badlands, SD, not that I could see the badlands from my site. Strong storms were common, this may even have been the one that produced hail big enough to crack the Casita’s roof. Summer 2013.

The last few weeks of the season in the Badlands we got moved behind the old hotel - where there were badlands views! A huge blizzard hit the beginning of October that killed over 75,000 cattle - luckily the park was closed at the time due to government shutdown.

The last few weeks of the season in the Badlands we got moved behind the old hotel – where there were badlands views! A huge blizzard hit the beginning of October that killed over 75,000 cattle – luckily the park was closed at the time due to government shutdown.

Elk City State Park, KS, October of 2013. The only time I've had a waterfront view from home. I'm planning to change that in the future.

Elk City State Park, KS, October of 2013. The only time I’ve had a waterfront view from home. I’m planning to change that in the future.

My second year at Big Chief working for Amazon, this time my site had a view of the now-defunct warehouse. Fall 2013.

I volunteered early 2014 with the University of Florida at the Ordway-Swisher Biological Station near Gainesville. This photo slightly breaks my rule, as I took it from just outside my campsite looking in but it's the best I have.

I volunteered early 2014 with the University of Florida at the Ordway-Swisher Biological Station near Gainesville. This photo slightly breaks my rule, as I took it from just outside my campsite looking in but it’s the best I have.

Tyler State Park in eastern Texas, June of 2014. I was due in at Little House Customs to get work done on Cas the next day and made better time than expected.

Mesa Verde RV in Lubbock, TX. I spent a week here visiting a friend while sending out resumes for a summer job. The colors have not been edited in this photo - I was convinced the Mother Ship was coming to take me away!

Mesa Verde RV in Lubbock, TX. I spent a week here visiting a friend while sending out resumes for a summer job. The colors have not been edited in this photo – I was convinced the Mother Ship was coming to take me away!

On my way to Zion National park in UT where I worked summer of 2014. I stopped in Grand Staircase-Escalante Monument on the border of UT for an afternoon break.

This squirrel was pulling acorns from the shrubby oak trees right outside my window at Zion Mountain Ranch, summer 2014.

Early morning in Valley of Fire State Park, NV. I love love loved this place.  Fall 2014.

Early morning in Valley of Fire State Park, NV. I love love loved this place. Fall 2014.

Trees over our sub-alpine Yosemite campsite, fall 2014.

Trees over our (I was traveling with Julie at this time) sub-alpine Yosemite campsite, fall 2014.

My morning view just before bed, working nights at Amazon again - this time at Sparks Marina RV in Sparks, NV.

My morning view just before bed, working nights at Amazon again – this time at Sparks Marina RV in Sparks, NV.

After Amazon got out Julie and I toured more of California. Big Basin Redwoods State Park, late December 2014.

After Amazon got out Julie and I toured more of California. Big Basin Redwoods State Park, December 2014.

What I woke up to Christmas morning last year. Pinnacles State Park in CA.

What I woke up to Christmas morning last year. Pinnacles State Park in CA.

There are more of these pictures that I’ve taken this year, but I’ve decided I’m going to save them for a year-in-review post at the beginning of 2016. Hope you all enjoyed this trip down memory lane, have a good week!

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, ,

27 Responses to Homeviews

1. Jeff White July 27, 2015 at 11:44 am #

Becky,

I enjoyed getting to say hello to you last week. I know you were working and didn’t want to bother you other than to let you know that I have enjoyed your blog.

Jeff

• Becky July 27, 2015 at 9:20 pm #

Glad you had the chance to say hi Jeff! It’s always nice to meet IO readers, even if only briefly. πŸ™‚

2. Terri July 27, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

Love seeing all these photos, Becky! I want you to know, I’m alive, and have seen your posts, but need to comment on them now! I am going to be moving next week, out to Utah, to work for Best Friends and live in an RV! Yes, i’m doing it! It’s so liberating getting rid of so much stuff since it’s already in the RV! πŸ™‚

These are great photos though – you are living proof that experiences are important, not things. No one can ever take these images out of your memory. I’ve been taking photographic images in my mind of the things I love these past few days, as well.
    Terri recently posted..I’m Alive!!!My Profile

• Becky July 27, 2015 at 9:27 pm #

It’s good to hear from you Terri, glad the working interview at Best Friends panned out!

You’ll actually be close to Grand Staircase (from this post) when you’re in Kanab, maybe you’ll get a chance to see it yourself and take your own “home view”. πŸ™‚

Wishing you (and your menagerie) all the best!

3. Diane Ely July 27, 2015 at 6:12 pm #

Becky:

In one of the photos you mentioned the “now-defunct Amazon warehouse” in Kansas. Has that warehouse closed (or moved)? I believe I read (not sure if it was on this blog or someone else’s) that the one in Fernley was also closing or moving?

• Becky July 27, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

Yes Diane, the warehouses in Coffeyville and Fernley are both now closed – they were an older style that Amazon is phasing out in favor of newer buildings with more robotics, in fact the one I’m going to be working at this fall in Texas has robotics! It’ll be different, but I’m cool with different. πŸ™‚ There is a new warehouse in Reno to replace the Fernley one, Coffeyville’s is just gone.

• Diane Ely July 28, 2015 at 2:50 pm #

Becky:
        Will more robotics translate to fewer Camperforce jobs available?

• Becky July 28, 2015 at 9:14 pm #

Your guess is as good as mine Diane. The fact that this Kiva facility is hiring workcampers is a good sign though.

4. Lacy July 27, 2015 at 8:46 pm #

These are great views and memories. Thanks for sharing them!
    Lacy

• Becky July 27, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

Glad you enjoyed them Lacy, you’re welcome.

5. Sherry in MT July 28, 2015 at 7:59 am #

It’s been a long while since I visited your blog and I loved the views in review and the posts of your summer here near (because we ALL know YNP is in WY) MT.
    Sherry in MT recently posted..The Week That Went To The DogsMy Profile

• Becky July 28, 2015 at 9:16 pm #

Welcome back Sherry! Yep I’ve had a good summer so far, once a month I drive into MT to do shopping in Bozeman so I have gotten to see some of that state as well. πŸ™‚

6. Jodee Gravel July 28, 2015 at 9:28 am #

What a great way to chronicle your “work and commuting” sites – it’s a pretty spectacular front yard to have πŸ™‚ Those storm clouds in SD are so dramatic, as are the lighted ones in Lubbock!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Would It Kill Them to Put Up A Couple Signs?My Profile

• Becky July 28, 2015 at 9:18 pm #

I enjoy taking pictures of bad weather so they seem to be a large number of the ones I have, haha.

7. Christi July 28, 2015 at 12:34 pm #

Loved them!! One more reason I live vicariously through you!

FYI – around Thanksgiving Walgreen’s will run a HUGE sale on hard bound photo books. They are great gifts but I also use for preserving my photos with captions. I have tried every sort of photo album and am always afraid my pictures will not age well in the albums. The photo books are perfect. My average cost for one holding 200+ pictures was $15.

And I do not work for Walgreen’s. πŸ™‚ Just passing along a deal to a kindred spirit.

Christi in Mississippi

• Becky July 28, 2015 at 9:18 pm #

Thanks for sharing Christi. πŸ™‚

8. Jim Schmechel July 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm #

You have been so many places in such a short time! I really like the storm photos in South Dakota and Texas. I am happy to hear that you are planning to have more waterfront views in the future. I follow one blogger who works at lighthouses during part of the year. They love it! πŸ™‚ Thank you for sharing with us.
    Jim Schmechel recently posted..Hands and FeetMy Profile

• Becky July 28, 2015 at 9:19 pm #

Would that be Wheelingit Jim? I follow them and they lighthouse host in Oregon every year. Would be an interesting job for sure. πŸ™‚

9. PamP July 28, 2015 at 8:50 pm #

Thanks Becky for this retrospect. I look forward to the one next year. It gave me an overview of where you’ve been – especially before I found your blog. Happy Travels!!

• Becky July 28, 2015 at 9:19 pm #

You’re welcome Pam! And thanks.

10. Dawn in MI August 3, 2015 at 7:28 pm #

Well that was fun! You’ve stayed at some truly beautiful places…and some…well…other places! πŸ™‚ It’s fun to remember all those campsites and the weather that went with them.

• Becky August 3, 2015 at 8:50 pm #

It sure is Dawn. πŸ™‚

11. Angela August 6, 2015 at 4:32 pm #

What a great idea, clever! πŸ™‚

• Becky August 6, 2015 at 8:05 pm #

It’s always nice to have pictures of home… homes. So many homes. πŸ™‚

12. Chuck February 20, 2016 at 8:07 am #

Hey Becky ,
    Love your site! really like the places you have been photo collection as well as the everyday photos of where you are, I look forward to getting your emails each week.
    Yesterday I was thinking of you, had lunch at Louie Muller BBQ in Taylor Tex. 30Mi NE of Austin. My grandfather took me there as a boy , same building , I’am 67yr. same good ole
    BBQ. Need to try it out next time your thru here, I would even buy you lunch if you let me know. Many thanks again for the wonderful knowledge you bring.
    Chuck

• Becky February 20, 2016 at 12:55 pm #

Yum BBQ! I haven’t had any since I left Texas and probably won’t until my travels circle back that way for Amazon later this year. Thanks for the offer Chuck, we’ll see how close I get to Austin. You’re welcome, thanks for reading.