Little Moments

There are a lot of things I love about full-time RVing. I love the frequent change in scenery, the hiking, the interesting people I meet, the new skills I learn while working, all the adventures I get to have. But on days when there’s no time for adventure, when I feel like being alone or everyone else has plans, when the weather isn’t cooperative for hiking, when I look out my RV window on month four of a five month stay and the scenery is no longer so new and exciting, when I deal with grumpy people at work, it’s the little moments that really make my day special.

All today's photos were taken in the Upper Geyser Basin where I work near sunset. This is Castle Geyser

All today’s photos were taken in the Upper Geyser Basin where I work. This is Castle Geyser

The flowers that manage to grow through the thick cover of needles in the campground.

The hearty laugh of a construction worker being told a joke by his buddy.

Getting out of work in the afternoon and being greeted by a warm sun on a chilly day… or the promise of rain on a hot day.

The soft glow of a distant campfire on a still evening.

The sound of wind through the pines when I’m picking up my laundry.

The smile of a child who’s just seen something in the park for the very first time.

The first rays of sunlight sneaking through the blinds while I’m snuggled up in bed.

It’s the dozens of little moments like these that make every day amazing, even the ordinary ones with no big story to tell. And the funny thing is you certainly don’t need to be a full-timer to enjoy them, so before I hit the road why did I never notice the beauty of the sunrise during my morning commute and why did the call of gulls along the ocean never hold my rapt attention when I was still living along the coast of South Carolina?

My shadow reflected off steam from Spasmodic Geyser

My shadow reflected off steam from Spasmodic Geyser

I did notice them in some remote corner of my brain, but I never gave them my full attention because I was too distracted. Too busy worrying about my bank account, what my boss and coworkers thought of me, how I was doing at work, that my car was overdue for an oil change, or about my appearance, of how to cram five hours of chores into the four free hours I had in the evening, of how to use my free time in the most efficient way possible.

Even when I wasn’t too busy and had nothing immediate to worry over, there was such a deep-laid routine to my life that I could anticipate what I’d need to worry about next. I could worry about possibilities, worry about things that hadn’t even happened yet. I lived in the future instead of the present. I lived in my head, instead of in the world.

The Firehole River

The Firehole River

Full-time RVing broke the day in day out, year in year out routine. It was handy to have it forced, but it could be done even without the dramatic lifestyle switch. Trying new things on a regular basis is a good way to break up routine, and some of it is a matter of re-training how you think. Like most things that are worth achieving, it would just take patience and persistence.

The whole answer can’t be had just by going RVing though. Another part of the puzzle was freeing up time by simplifying my life and cutting out the things that weren’t necessary and didn’t enrich my existence.

The last part was overcoming the social stigma placed on being still and doing nothing. Taking some time every day to be quiet and observe is not the same thing as being lazy. It’s okay not to be rushing around every minute of every day. In fact, I’ve found it to be quite rewarding.

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , , ,

48 Responses to Little Moments

1. Frank Poole June 18, 2015 at 11:22 am #

Yep, it’s ok to “not do anything”… heheh,
    That’s what campfires are for…

Summer Rush starting to pick up?

fun..

• Becky June 18, 2015 at 10:37 pm #

Yep it is Frank! Got quite busy this past week, July isn’t too far away now.

2. Jodee Gravel June 18, 2015 at 11:36 am #

Too often we wait until something is taken away before we appreciate the wonder of it. You are fortunate to see the big in the little at a time in your life when the options are many rather than few. You are so right that it isn’t the life style, it’s the life.

Sweet pic of your shadow 🙂
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Enjoying Friends, Family and Cooler Temps Along the CA CoastMy Profile

• Becky June 18, 2015 at 10:47 pm #

When I was a senior in high school, someone in my drama class put quotes on pieces of paper and stuck them around the green room where we practiced for school plays. One of them read: “Remember the little things, for one day you may look back and discover they were the big things.” After the play was done, I took that quote home and stuck it up on the mirror in my bedroom at my parent’s house, and it’s still there today.

3. Kim June 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm #

Awesome photos and realizations, Becky!
    Kim recently posted..Looking ForwardMy Profile

• Becky June 18, 2015 at 10:47 pm #

Glad you enjoyed this post, Kim. 🙂

4. Jerry Minchey June 18, 2015 at 1:32 pm #

As I’ve said before, I love your posts that provide insight into your thinking. Below are my two favorite “takeaways” from today’s post

“The whole answer can’t be had just by going RVing though.”

“Taking some time every day to be quiet and observe is not the same thing as being lazy.”

Don’t get me wrong, your pictures are out of this world, but your thoughts are even more precious.

• Becky June 18, 2015 at 10:49 pm #

Haha, when I was writing this post Jerry I was thinking you’d probably be one of the first to comment given how you like these kind of topics. 😉

• Marilyn Dennison, Dania Beach, Fl June 19, 2015 at 6:36 pm #

I totally agree with Jerry. You are wise beyond your years.

Thanks for posting the pictures and captions. Terrific.

Marilyn

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:40 pm #

You’re welcome Marilyn.

5. Angela June 18, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

I think most people make themselves stay constantly busy and overbook themselves with activities and responsibilities because any down time gives them idle time to think and that would scare them and force them to make changes in their life they’re not ready to face.

I was that way when I was working full time and going to school at night. With zero free time, there’s no moment to think about alternatives.

Now, all I have is time outside of my 9-5 and all I can think about is how quickly I can escape this mundane existence! I live to travel a few times a week out of a year. That’s no way to be!
    Angela recently posted..SailingMy Profile

• Becky June 18, 2015 at 11:00 pm #

Yep, I’d agree that’s probably a common phenomenon Angela. Glad you saw through the ruse and are working on “getting out” as it were. 😉

6. Janett June 18, 2015 at 2:26 pm #

You’re so right! I raised my grandson and will never forget what he pointed out when he was 6 years old. It was early in the morning and I was rushing to drop him off at daycare and get my late-self to work (before the boss) when he shouted from the backseat…”Nanna, look at all the colors”! Colors? What colors, I don’t see any colors? He then said, “don’t you see them, all over the road”. Well, it had rained all night and the oils reflecting off the road actually looked like a rainbow!

No matter where we are or what we’re doing we truly need to stop and see the rainbows. 🙂

• Becky June 18, 2015 at 11:02 pm #

What a cute story Janett, it’s amazing what children notice that adults overlook.

7. Ken June 18, 2015 at 7:34 pm #

Great post and observations! I still want to try RVing full time though and learn that for myself.

• Becky June 18, 2015 at 11:03 pm #

Best of luck to you Ken. There’s a lot more how-to posts and info about going full-timing under he “Useful Stuff” tab at the top of the blog. 🙂

8. Oystein June 18, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

Well said and right on target. The shadow of you in the steam is cool, great photo.

• Becky June 18, 2015 at 11:04 pm #

Thanks Oystein, the sun was setting at the perfect angle for that picture.

9. Lori June 19, 2015 at 4:55 am #

Great post, Becky! And I love the quote you reference above, “Remember the little things, for one day you may look back and discover they were the big things.” I think in a small corner of our brains those little moments stand out, even though we’re too distracted to consciously pay attention to them at the time, and that’s why we do remember them later.

Love the photo of your shadow and all the “dozens of little moments” you shared, along with your insightful comments.
    Lori recently posted..Little MomentsMy Profile

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:49 pm #

Glad you enjoyed this Lori. 🙂

10. Roger June 19, 2015 at 6:08 am #

I always look forward to your new posts Becky. Love your writing style, your photos and this post in particular. We’ve been in the work world with a few weeks vacation each year now for nearly 40 years. I’ve always been amazed at how beautiful the colors are when I get up early on a vacation day morning. Of course they are the same colors available to us on workdays, but my focus is elsewhere. I needed a lift today and your post was just the ticket! Thanks for sharing your wonderful perspective with us all.

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:50 pm #

You’re welcome Roger, glad you enjoyed this post.

11. Bruce June 19, 2015 at 6:45 am #

Simple words of wisdom, regardless of one’s station in life …

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:50 pm #

Glad you enjoyed this Bruce.

12. Rob June 19, 2015 at 8:20 am #

Thank you for your updates, thoughts and photos.. We enjoy. We are now 1 month into full timing and understand the value of “down” time

All the best

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:51 pm #

Congrats on 1 month Rob, and may there be many more to come. 🙂

13. Kit June 19, 2015 at 8:34 am #

Becky, the photographs that accompany this blog post are your best yet! I especially like your shadow on the steam.

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks Kit, had really fun lighting that evening.

14. Dawn Moore June 19, 2015 at 8:51 am #

Good morning! Finally checking in–we’re in the middle of a bathroom remodel & we’re giving ourselves a day off today. Love your shadow photo, Becky! You’re so right–taking time to stop, look & listen opens our world to so much beauty & joy. Have you read “Buddhist Boot Camp” by Timber Hawkeye? This little book is full of wisdom…just as you are. Have a wonderful day today, Becky.

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:53 pm #

Hope the remodel is going well Dawn. Nope I haven’t read that book, most of my reading is sci-fi/fantasy to be honest.

I did have a good day today, got a lot done. Hope you had a good day too.

15. Roger June 19, 2015 at 8:56 am #

You’ve done many great photos, but that one with your shadow in the steam…that one blew me away.

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

Glad you enjoyed them Roger.

16. Jim@HiTek June 19, 2015 at 9:21 am #

Excellent post, Becky. Such wisdom from such a youngin’. Pictures are great too!
    Jim@HiTek recently posted..From Roswell to Meteor Crater…My Profile

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

Glad you enjoyed this post Jim.

17. Roger Fell June 19, 2015 at 12:28 pm #

Love the ephemeral flavour of your Spasmodic Geyser photo!

“I lived in my head, instead of in the world.” True of 99% of us. Definately something I’ve got to work on.

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 8:56 pm #

Yeah, that one turned out really well.

Like with most things in life, it takes practice to be good at being present. 🙂

18. Karen June 19, 2015 at 1:33 pm #

Wonderful post — just the reminder I needed today! So enjoying your blog. Thanks!

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 9:06 pm #

Glad you found this helpful Karen!

19. Maura June 19, 2015 at 7:48 pm #

You really hit the nail on the head with this post. Expecting something different while doing the same thing every day doesn’t work…..expecting something different when doing something different doesn’t work either. It truly is in the Mind set….breaking away…and seeing things from a different point of view can happen in a 9-5 job or a full timing journey! It’s about changing not what you do, but how you see it
    Maura recently posted..Party at The LakeMy Profile

• Becky June 19, 2015 at 9:08 pm #

You sound like you really get this Maura. Life is 10% what happens to us, and 90% how we choose to react to it.

20. Marcia GB in MA June 20, 2015 at 7:09 am #

What a lovely, thoughtful post! It started my morning off just right

• Becky June 21, 2015 at 10:40 pm #

Glad you liked this Marcia. 🙂

21. Bon June 20, 2015 at 9:11 am #

Ain’t that the truth! Really thoughtful post, Becky. Loved it!
    Bon recently posted..When a Home Outgrows its PurposeMy Profile

• Becky June 21, 2015 at 10:41 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it Bon!

22. Jim at Growing Faith June 20, 2015 at 12:43 pm #

Like others have mentioned, I really like the photo of your shadow on the steam. It is amazing!

We are all very fortunate that you stepped out of your ordinary life, and are living differently than most people your age in this country. It is great that you are able to be so bold, and share your experiences with the world. I hope they inspire other people to consider living less conventionally and closer to their dreams.

I also began to notice much more when I unplugged from society. My personal lesson has been to Slow Down. I notice that when I am not in a hurry, it is hard to get upset. I also notice that when I consciously slow down, I am able to have more time for what is truly important. Like reading your inspirational blog! 🙂

Thank you ever so much for Interstellar Orchard!

• Becky June 21, 2015 at 10:44 pm #

You’re very welcome Jim! That photo was completely accidental, just happened to be standing in the right place with the sun at the right angle. Looked over at the geyser and went “huh” and moved a little so I was centered in the plume. 🙂

And yes, slowing down helps a lot. I wish I could help more people my age understand it. Oh well.

23. Kelly June 22, 2015 at 10:54 pm #