Full-timing Has No Hard Definition

no-definition-full-timing1An Ode To RVing Diversity:

Some like the comfort of big rigs, some like the agility of small rigs. Some are in motion all year long, some are stationary all year long. Some enjoy the boonies and being off-grid, and some enjoy resorts with all the amenities.

Some RV for a reason.

Some RV because they have no better choice.

For some, RVing is the reason

Some would rather go and sight-see, some would rather stay at camp. Some plan their route extensively, some make it up as they go. Some want to build a social network as they travel, and some want to keep to themselves.

Some work because they have to.

Some work because they want to.

Some volunteer because they feel called to.

Some keep their travel days short, some make as much distance as they can in a day. Some spend more time indoors, some spend more time outdoors. Some explore all corners of the country, and some explore in one corner.

Some would be considered old.

Some would be considered young.

Many would consider themselves young at heart.

Some prefer the country, some prefer cities. Some have minimalistic camps, some have elaborate camps. Some expect to be on the road as long as they’re able, and some expect to be off the road at a certain date.

Some travel with a partner.

Some travel with a friend.

Some travel with children.

Some travel with pets.

Some travel alone.

Some travel in a caravan.

Most do not fall completely in one category, and that’s part of the beauty of this lifestyle. How boring happy hour or stories around the campfire would be if every story was the same. Not everyone has the same resources at their disposal, or the inclination to travel a certain way. There is no need to belittle or look down on another full-timer because they’ve chosen to do it differently. You do not need to agree with another person to treat them with respect.

There is no hard definition for this lifestyle, nor should there be.

For the first time EVER I am completely caught up on videos. Hurrah! Have a good weekend all.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , , ,

24 Responses to Full-timing Has No Hard Definition

1. Jim at Growing Faith April 24, 2015 at 9:07 am #

You have a met a lot of people on the road! I have met people in some of your categories, but not all of them yet. However, I have only been on the road about 6 months.

Thank you for telling us that it is OK to be whatever we are. 🙂

I currently am traveling solo, living in my mini Prius, mostly urban, and try to drive a small number of miles between stops (10-30 miles per trip is my target). I also avoid interstate highways because I like the road less traveled, and I am not in a hurry to be anywhere.
    Jim at Growing Faith recently posted..Chasing After WindMy Profile

• Becky April 25, 2015 at 9:35 pm #

Hello everyone! I’ve had a busy weekend offline attending an event with old college friends, I will be back tomorrow (Sunday) to respond to all comments and get caught up on e-mails. Thanks for your patience and I hope you all are having a good weekend too!

• Becky April 26, 2015 at 11:09 am #

I follow the blog of another lady who has off-grid property in NM but travels extensively in her Prius Jim, you’re not the only one. 🙂 http://thegoodluckduck.blogspot.com/

I live simply, but people like who you live in their cars make it an art form!

2. Clayton Redding April 24, 2015 at 9:19 am #

Very true. RVing is whatever each individual desires it to be. My first adventure of 9 1/2 years at full timing was traveling alone working as a consultant, thus months would be spent at one location before moving on. Am preparing for a second adventure at full timing alone again, except for my pup Gabby. This time will be as a retired person just meandering around this big beautiful country enjoying life, taking a much closer look at some areas I would like to visit again. Life and RVing is what we make of it.

Hope you are enjoying your time with family.

Clayton

• Becky April 26, 2015 at 11:14 am #

I bet it was nice getting to see the country between jobs Clayton. In a way that’s what I do now, except it’s gift shops and campgrounds I work at instead of consulting.

Enjoy your next adventure! More playing and less working this time around, it will be fun. 🙂

3. Jodee Gravel April 24, 2015 at 11:16 am #

Thanks goodness for diversity indeed! Every time someone says to me “I could never do what you’re doing.”, I think yaaaay! Several people do more than one way over the course of their travels as well, trying on different styles as they learn more about the life, and about themselves.

Yep, lots of ways to do it. All of them are the right way 🙂
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..What Happened to the Trucker Love and Day Four Photo ChallengeMy Profile

• Becky April 26, 2015 at 11:16 am #

Yes that’s very true Jodee, it never hurts to try other ways of doing things to discover what works best for you.

All ways are the right way. 🙂

4. Charlene Swankie April 24, 2015 at 12:21 pm #

Excellent. Hooray.
    Charlene Swankie recently posted..Call to Boycott Cottonwood, AZ Walmart and the town of Cottonwood, AZ.My Profile

• Becky April 26, 2015 at 11:17 am #

😀

5. Trainman April 24, 2015 at 12:57 pm #

You nailed it. !! There is no set playbook for a fulltimer. I keep it simple with a cargo trailer and a pickup truck. Boondocking on BLM or National Forest lands with a few National Park campgrounds. Love going to things like the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (Bob Wells) in Quartzsite, AZ to pick up tips and ideas, and see how other people are doing it.

Trainman
    Trainman recently posted..Death ValleyMy Profile

• Becky April 26, 2015 at 11:20 am #

Yes, there is so much that can be learned by discussing full-timing with others Trainman, I’d be lost without the advice and help I’ve received from my peers over the years.

Someday I’d like to experience RTR, it sounds neat. 🙂

6. Norm H. April 24, 2015 at 8:35 pm #

Like the way you explained, or characterized, the diversity of the road. Nicely done.

• Becky April 26, 2015 at 11:20 am #

Glad you enjoyed it Norm.

7. Rene Kipp April 25, 2015 at 1:18 pm #

Happy hours are made great by the diversity of people, their stories and their lives. What a boring world this would be if everything was the same.
    Rene Kipp recently posted..Photo Challenge – Day TwoMy Profile

• Becky April 26, 2015 at 11:21 am #

Yep Rene. 🙂

8. Ann April 27, 2015 at 3:55 pm #

This post is so accurate. I love the way you worded it. Can’t wait to check out your videos. 🙂

• Becky April 28, 2015 at 8:40 pm #

Glad you enjoyed this Ann! I hope you enjoy the videos too.

9. Barb L April 29, 2015 at 10:54 am #

Such an excellent post. Well done! I think it’s so important for new people especially to understand that there is no “right” way to pursue this lifestyle. We each need to find a way that works for us and be open to making changes as we learn and develop.
    DH and I are into our fifth year on the road as retired full-timers and loving it. Still have the same vehicles we started with, but our travel focus and rhythm have changed from year to year.
    Thanks again for a great piece of writing.

• Becky April 29, 2015 at 11:07 am #

Glad you enjoyed this Barb! Full-timing offers so much freedom, why temper it by trying to say it needs to be done a certain way?

10. Dwayne April 30, 2015 at 9:41 pm #

Becky-don’t have your email address. Send to me, please
    Contacted Finish Line Campground in Haslet, TX to be put on their list. They did not even know about Amazon. Closest to building.
    Now they are completely upgrading their campground just for Amazon. You might want to be added. You can also go off later on.

• Becky May 1, 2015 at 11:19 am #

I’m already set for Finish Line Dwayne, thanks for thinking of me. 🙂

You can find my e-mail under the About & Contact tab at the top of the site, I don’t like to list it a bunch because it increases the spam mail I get. http://www.interstellarorchard.com/about-contact/

11. Tom Reed May 4, 2015 at 10:55 am #

I am curious, how do you get and process (snail mail and or parcel posts while you are on the road?) I ask only because I am planning to be a “nomad” soon and wonder about these things. Do you use a mail forwarding service? Also ,because everyone needs a physical address(ie vehicle registration & licencing) How do you accomplish this???

12. Harriet May 27, 2015 at 9:40 am #