Words of Encouragement

words-of-encouragementYes, I’ll admit it. I’m one of those people. One of those people who smiles when they see inspirational messages in poster form in the home decor section of stores. One of those people who Likes motivational pictures posted up on Facebook. Heck, I’ve even had one such quote at the bottom of this blog since I started it in 2011, back when I was still stumbling around trying to figure this full-time RVing thing out and unsure how it was all going to end.

Not everyone enjoys motivational quotes, but I can say with certainty that they’ve helped me through the rougher patches on the road to my dreams. So today I’m going to share ten of my favorites with you, because one never knows what might move a person to bigger, better things.

There is only one success –

To be able to spend your life in your own way.

– Christopher Morley

You see things and say, ‘Why?,’

But I dream things and say, ‘Why not?’

– George Bernard Shaw

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

– Lao-Tse

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot;

But make it hot by striking.

– William B. Sprague

That some achieve great success,

Is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.

– Abraham Lincoln

In the confrontation between the stream and the rock,

The stream always wins –

Not through strength, but through persistence.

– Buddha

There are two primary choices in life:

To accept conditions as they exist,

Or accept the responsibility for changing them.

– Denis Waitley

So go ahead and make mistakes.

Make all you can.

Because that’s where you will find success.

On the far side of failure.

– Thomas J. Watson, Sr.

Don’t be afraid your life will end;

Be afraid that it will never begin.

– Grace Hansen

Do not go where the path may lead,

Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling,

But in rising every time we fall.

– Nelson Mandela

Okay so that was eleven instead of ten, you got a bonus one because it was very hard to narrow them down. Have a fantastic weekend everyone, and keep plugging away at your dreams!

Have your own inspirational or motivational quote to share? I’d love to see it in the comments below, and who knows who you might be helping down the road with these words of encouragement.

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , ,

47 Responses to Words of Encouragement

1. Jodee Gravel February 13, 2015 at 8:40 pm #

I love the Waitley one! Probably the one that I quote the most is from Kahil Gibran’s The Prophet

“Time moves forward, not backward. Therefore we should strive to be like our children, not insist they strive to be like us.”

As a younger fulltimer, you are a great example of this philosophy. Although your “elder”, I have learned so much from your example and experience 🙂
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..RV Dealerships – Do You Think It’s a Test?My Profile

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 8:50 am #

That is a good quote Jodee, thanks for sharing!

2. Ernie February 14, 2015 at 3:34 am #

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”

–Friedrich Nietzsche

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 8:51 am #

Nice Ernie! Thanks for sharing.

3. Debbie Granger February 14, 2015 at 4:18 am #

Follow your dreams, for as you dream, so shall you become.

I do not know the author. It is on a card I received some 30 years ago. I framed it.
    And I’ve made many dreams come true.

• Karla Kirk February 14, 2015 at 5:28 am #

I like the saying, yard by yard may be hard, but inch by inch is a cinch.

• Dwayne February 14, 2015 at 10:09 am #

Back in 2000 I rode a bicycle from Seattle, WA to Washington, D.C.
        When I tell people about it they are so impressed. I tell them almost anyone can do it. It is not a physical ride, it is a mental ride. You don’t wake up and think to yourself “Got to get to XX today, that is 89 miles. No, you look ahead and see a sign and think “will ride to there and take a break”. As you get closer, think that is not so bad, will just keep going to that water tank, etc. By the end of the day, you are there.

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 8:55 am #

Well I think that’s impressive too Dwayne, and it goes along with Karla’s quote so well. 🙂

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 8:54 am #

Good one Karla, thanks.

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 8:53 am #

Thanks for sharing Debbie, I like that. 🙂

4. Cathy P. February 14, 2015 at 6:39 am #

Yours is my favorite blog. With others, sometimes I bother opening them and sometimes not but with yours, I stop and read as soon as I see it in the inbox. All the quotes are wonderful.

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 8:55 am #

Glad you enjoyed them Cathy, thank you so much for reading.

5. Nicole February 14, 2015 at 7:07 am #

I really enjoy reading your blog. I love following the stories of strong women like you.

In order to reach most goals you need money, so for many years my motto has been. “Take care of you pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves”. I find it easier to make a bunch of smaller daily decisions as oppose to following an elaborate budget. I accomplish many many goals with that strategy.

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:00 am #

That is a good strategy Nicole. That’s the crux of my personal finance strategy – I look at every non-essential purchase i make and ask myself the quick question: “Do I want this more than I want to complete my next goal?”

Thank you for reading, and I’m glad you’ve found IO helpful and inspiring.

6. Furry Gnome February 14, 2015 at 7:32 am #

Really enjoyed those Becky. Stuck in a winter that’s mostly too cold to really get out and enjoy it, I appreciate the encouragement!

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:01 am #

You’re welcome Gnome! Here’s hoping spring arrives soon.

7. Marcia GB in MA February 14, 2015 at 8:12 am #

I love inspirational quotes and these are lovely. Her’s one someone sent to me:
    Follow the path your heart has embraced
    and you’ll arrive at the place your soul calls home.

Zeninspirations.com

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:02 am #

Nice Marcia, I like it! Thanks for sharing.

8. dawn from camano island February 14, 2015 at 8:24 am #

I’m a lover of inpsirational quotes–have a Pinterest board for them. My favorite:
    How much happier you’ll be in life if yo can say ‘I’m glad I did that’ rather than ‘I wish I’d done that.’ There are so many more but here’s another favorite–‘Some days just aren’t worth putting on a bra for.’ Okay, I’d better stop now! Happy Heart Day, Miss Becky!

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:03 am #

Haha! That second one made me giggle, thanks for sharing Dawn.

I hope you had a good Valentine’s day as well. 🙂

9. Barak February 14, 2015 at 8:29 am #

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.” ~ Calvin Coolidge
    Barak recently posted..Notice the Similarity?My Profile

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:05 am #

Thanks for sharing Barak, that’s a good one!

10. Connie February 14, 2015 at 9:24 am #

I love the quotes Becky but, then again, I’m addicted to quotes 🙂 I have lots of favorite quotes. It all depends on my mood, my situation or simply on the day lol. Right now I find myself quoting Dr Suess a lot ~ “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:07 am #

My favorite work of Dr Seuss’ was “Oh, the places you’ll go!” It was written for a graduation ceremony I think, I just love it. Thanks for sharing!

11. John Hussey February 14, 2015 at 9:29 am #

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

“Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.” St. Augustine

12. John Hussey February 14, 2015 at 9:32 am #

Follow the setting sun by day and the streak of the Milky Way by night-over the craggy hills of the Spanish Basque territory, into the wine valleys of Rioja, across the plains of Castile, through the wheat fields of León, over the alpine mountains of Galicia, and finally slip into the comfort of the valley of Santiago. I do like the idea of searching out adventure in the unlikely place of a well-trod road, as so many have done before me. JR Hussey-El Camino de Santiago

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:08 am #

Nice quotes John, thanks for sharing!

13. Cary February 14, 2015 at 11:17 am #

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains un-awakened.” – Anatole France

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:09 am #

Aww, coming from an animal lover I really like that Cary. Thanks.

14. Sheila February 14, 2015 at 11:25 am #

“Don’t me afraid you life will end,
    be afraid it will never begin!”
    That is what struck me…I had a stroke 3 yrs ago & since then, all I can think about is death. But we bought a 2015 Lance Toy Hauler a month ago and death flew out the window! I’m 62, feel 25 and the is NOTHING left from my stroke except a little memory problem. I’m VERY blessed, because the Dr said, after he looked at the MRI, “You should be in a wheelchair”! No wheelchair for me!!! I’ll take a Toy Hauler instead!!!

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:11 am #

So glad that you’ve recovered Sheila, I hope you have many more great adventures ahead of you in that toy hauler!

• Sheila February 15, 2015 at 6:42 pm #

Thanks so much!!! Adventures…here I come!

• Becky February 16, 2015 at 5:04 pm #

😀

15. Rhonda February 14, 2015 at 11:56 am #

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ~~Confucius

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:12 am #

I definitely have days like this Rhonda, thanks for sharing. 🙂

16. Rene Kipp February 14, 2015 at 12:35 pm #

I like the quotes you put here. Here’s one I recently found:

” Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ”
    ~ Mark Twain
    Rene Kipp recently posted..Dreamy DayMy Profile

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:13 am #

Oh, yes I’ve heard that one before Rene, it’s a good one. Thanks for sharing and I’m glad you enjoyed this.

17. Mike February 14, 2015 at 12:56 pm #

One of my favorites,

“Never give in–never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
    ― Winston Churchill

–Mike

• Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:14 am #

Nice one Mike, Churchill was quite the guy.

18. J. Dawg February 14, 2015 at 5:52 pm #

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“Life is not a spectator sport. If you’re going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you’re wasting your life”. – Jackie Robinson

19. Becky February 15, 2015 at 9:15 am #

A two-for-one deal! Thanks J. Dawg, these are good.

20. Barrie February 16, 2015 at 9:41 pm #

Hi Becky,
    I think all successful people find ways to be and remain motivated. My mantra is “I can do better”. I grew up in a fishing village and quit school as a sophomore and left home. I started working at menial jobs but was determined to be the best at those menial jobs. More responsibilities followed. I always strived to better my performance. When PC’s were first sold to the public I used my life savings to buy one and taught myself to use it. I became “the computer guy”. I’m in my 60’s now and retired from a successful business analyst. I now counsel small business owners, pro bono, to help them see the opportunities of the big pictures while taking care of the small details. My success now is measured in smiles. My glass is always at least half full.
    Keep up the good work and thank you again for sharing.
    Barrie

• Becky February 17, 2015 at 4:54 pm #

What a nice story Barrie, sounds like you’ve lived a very fulfilling life.

Like you, I strive to be a glass half full person. It leads to a more joyous existence. 🙂

21. John Perz February 17, 2015 at 5:36 am #

Life is not about discovering yourself. Life is about creating yourself!

Regards
    John

• Becky February 17, 2015 at 4:54 pm #

Nice one John, thanks for sharing!

22. Kevin February 17, 2015 at 12:01 pm #

Worrying won’t stop the bad stuff from happening. It just stops you from enjoying the good stuff.

• Becky February 17, 2015 at 4:55 pm #

Thanks for sharing Kevin, that quote is right up my ally.