Full-time RVing Won’t Change Who You Are

full-time-rving-wont-change-who-you-are

Here it is, the number one thing I have learned from full-time RVing that I wish someone would have let me know beforehand. Oh, there are other lessons I’ve learned from life on the road, but the big things can all be traced back to this one simple fact. It’s taken me some time to come to this realization, and I wonder if posting this will change how other wannabe full-timers tackle getting on the road.

Happily Ever After

What I expected: From reading other full-timer’s first hand accounts, I knew to expect that RVing life wouldn’t be all fun and games. I did a lot of prep work and research and considered myself better prepared than most who get the funny idea to be intentionally homeless.

I was prepared when fixes became necessary on my new-to-me RV and didn’t freak out over the time and money needed to keep one in good running shape. I knew not to treat full-timing as one perpetual vacation and that I’d still need to work if I wanted to keep traveling. I easily grasped that thriving as a full-timer required the ability to think outside the box and be flexible in your plans. And I understood that RVing wasn’t an inherently cheaper way to live, which leads me into…

What I didn’t expect:

This is true for all major life changes, so even though I didn’t read about it on any RVer’s blog when I was searching for information I should have known: Who you are doesn’t change, even if your lifestyle does.

Let’s take my bit about RVing not being inherently cheaper as an example: your tastes won’t change. If you enjoyed the finer things in life before you started RVing, you’ll likely desire a more expensive and newer rig with more amenities. You’ll want to stay in nicer resorts with all of the bells and whistles and the bigger price tag. Basically, you’re RVing lifestyle isn’t going to be cheap, and it’s possible that if you make the decision to live more cheaply, that you’ll end up disliking full-timing.

But this also applies to your personality, your needs, and how you view the world. If you had emotional baggage, it’s not going to magically disappear once you hit the road. If you were a negative person before, you likely will still view the pitfalls of full-timing negatively. If you had a hard time introducing yourself to strangers and were reluctant to strike up conversations with people when living stationary, that willl be your default setting on the road (this is me).

What I learned: This one simple fact, that despite the changes that full-timing brought about I was still going to be me, had a huge impact on various parts of the full-timing lifestyle that I hadn’t anticipated. I’m going to go over the first three that come to mind, but there are likely dozens.

Confidence

What I expected: Getting on the road, especially as a solo, would build confidence because of all of the work, new skills, and dedication required. And it did.

What I didn’t expect: Confidence is also built partly on self-esteem, one of those facets of You that doesn’t change with a major lifestyle change. After getting on the road my confidence improved, but I still had low self-esteem days, that hadn’t changed.

What I learned from RVing: If you want to change how you view yourself, start with how you view others. You’ll be exposed to a lot of people on your travels with very different lifestyles and interests. Learn to view other people with compassion by focusing on what you have in common instead of what’s different, and see how it changes how you view yourself. You don’t have to be perfect or know everything to be able to view yourself as a worthy person. Learn to see everyone as worthy. You don’t have to agree with everything they stand for, just understand that everyone has value and is deserving of respect. Through this, even on low self-esteem days, I can usually convince myself that I am worthy, and deserving of respect.

Slow it down

What I expected: Full-timing was suppose to be about slowing down and smelling the roses. About escaping the hectic fast paced life of the modern American, and enjoying a better work/life balance. About mixing work and play and such a way as to make vacations unnecessary. About taking your time getting from point A and Point B and enjoying the ride. And my work/life balance has changed for the better.

What I didn’t expect: Experienced full-timers will tell you to limit the number of driving hours in a day, and to stay multiple days in one location before moving on. It sounded good on paper, but when I’m moving between jobs I only have so many days to get there, and I’d rather do these “repositioning” trips quickly without delay so that if something goes wrong, I have extra time to fix the problem and still make it in time for my job start date.

For all that I’ve learned from full-timing about going with the flow and accepting that things will turn out all right in the end โ€“ I am, at heart, still a planner. That facet of my personality hasn’t changed, and I feel a lot more comfortable when I have a limited amount of time to make the drive in one quick rush, and to enjoy myself once I get there. I also don’t feel comfortable letting my bank account get too low, and when that happens, I can’t enjoy myself while traveling.

What I learned from RVing: Instead of standing on the fulcrum of a teeter-totter, with both sides perfectly balanced and level at all times, my ideal work/life balance would be more akin to jumping from side to side on the teeter-totter. I work hard to save up money quickly, and when I’m in that phase there’s limited time for fun and games. And then once my bank account gets to the point where I feel like I have the leeway โ€“ I play hard, and take quite a bit of time where I don’t work at all.

Working

What I expected: This was the part of full-timing that I knew the least about and concerned me the most. I did a lot of calculations on cost of living and wages at seasonal jobs and I was reasonably sure I could earn enough to make this lifestyle viable, but I didn’t know for certain. Most full-timers who work camp don’t depend on it as their entire source of income, and information was scarce when I was researching it online.

What I didn’t expect: As it turns out, you can make enough from just work-camping to live on. Maybe. I have discovered that I can, but can you? It really depends on what level of comfort you’re use to and what you’re willing to do to be able to travel. Yes, this all goes back to your individual needs and tastes.

What I learned from RVing: Right now through work-camping alone, averaged throughout the year, I earn just slightly more than I’m spending. But that doesn’t help all of you much, so let me try to explain.

This is what I’ve found to be true from my two years of experience:

1. If you just work camped all year, took only the time you needed to travel from one job to the next and had no other down time from working, took all of the over-time you could get at each job, you could either live frugally and save up quite a bit of money in a year, or you could spend money on your days off and buy some pretty nice things for your RV. But if you’re doing this, it’s really not much different from working a “real” job, so what’s the point of being a full-timer?

2. You can take advantage of the freedom full-timing offers and take breaks between jobs like I do, or you can work more consistently but only part-time. This will give you more time for traveling and fun, but unless you had a minimum wage job before you hit the road, you’re likely going to be earning less money averaged throughout the year than you did at a 9-5.

I don’t say you’re guaranteed to earn less money, because if you have a specialty skill that lends itself to travel, it’s quite possible that you can still earn good wages, but if you’re doing the more traditional and common seasonal work (all the stuff I’ve done goes in this category โ€“ retail, housekeeping, camp hosting, food service, warehouse worker), it’s all low skill, low pay. On the plus side, it’s also lower stress.

In conclusion

So perhaps the most important things to think about when pondering if full-timing will work for you have nothing to do with anyone else’s experience, but are solely about You, because you won’t magically change when you change living arrangements.

Can you learn to be okay with less certainty and stability in your life? Will you be content with less living space and less stuff? Can you be happy without a solid and consistent community network? Are you willing to make sacrifices in exchange for greater freedom?

Full-time RVing is only a Happily Ever After for those people whose personality is compatible with it. Often when strangers tell me “Gosh, I wish I could do what you’re doing”, I think what they’re really saying is: “Gosh, I wish I could be as happy as you are.” And what makes me happy, won’t make everyone happy.

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon.com shopping using my affiliate link.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , , ,

72 Responses to Full-time RVing Won’t Change Who You Are

1. Wheelingit December 10, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

Great post! Totally agree with everything in here. I’ve always loved to travel and I think that’s part of what made full timing so natural for me. But slowing down was a lesson and we learned that our first year.
    Nina
    Wheelingit recently posted..The Inner Magic Of The DesertMy Profile

• Becky December 10, 2014 at 7:03 pm #

Thanks Nina, glad you enjoyed it.

I knew to try to keep things slow because of blogs like yours when I was preparing to hit the road. ๐Ÿ™‚

• PJ December 12, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

This was an excellent post! I grew up camping in tents – never RVing, but there are so many similarities. So after we married, we went camping several times a year. At 50 we started “camping” in our conversion van, taking out the bench and back seats and built a queen sized bed in the back. We still cooked and ate at the picnic tables in the campgrounds where we stayed. We also carried a folding table and chairs if we “boondocked.” I doubt we’ll ever full-time because of family responsibilities, but my dream is to spend more and more time traveling. We already spend a couple of weeks and many weekends outside. It is so important to analyze what is important to you and structure your life so you are happy and fulfilled. I have enjoyed reading about your experiences and wish you well! My one suggestion for any outdoor-lover is to visit Glacier National Park sometime in the summer. It is spectacular – better than Alaska – if you love the mountains.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it PJ.

I saw Glacier as a teenager on a family road trip, it was very beautiful. Going to the Sun road was spectacular, and we took a horse ride through the mountains, I’ll never forget it.

Keep getting out there when you can, and enjoy your camping trips!

2. Old Fat Man December 10, 2014 at 6:37 pm #

I find you to be one of the most perceptive bloggers on the web. I also have experienced nearly the same set of surprises as you. Our personalities are quite different but the surprises are still awaiting us. The difference to us is that the surprises are considered nice surprises even when it is a break down in route. The breakdown allows us to meet new folks and have new experiences that we might have missed without the breakdown. Be safe and have fun.

• Becky December 10, 2014 at 7:07 pm #

I have a lot of time to think while I’m stowing at Amazon right now, haha.

And yes, so many bad experiences in life can be made better by just holding a positive attitude. It’s easier to hold a positive attitude when you’re doing something you love, which makes the bad parts of RVing less trying for me because I love it so.

3. Barbara December 10, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

This is such a well written post, and so true. I did all the things you did before I started out on the road, except I am retired and have just enough to live on for now, so I don’t have to worry about working. Full-timing is even better than I thought it would be, but I’m happy anywhere and like moving so it suits me. I don’t need or want much in the way of things, luckily, because where would I put them?

I’m going to link your post to my next one, if you don’t mind – just in case I also have a reader or two who is thinking about this. Your points are really good and might help them, too. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Barbara recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – funny dog photosMy Profile

• Becky December 10, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

Sure, go right ahead Barbara. I’m glad you found this helpful and I hope your readers do too.

4. Ron December 10, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Again, well said. Ron

• Becky December 10, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

Thanks.

5. jonthebru December 10, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

“No matter where you go, there you are.” Ain’t that the truth. I really loved seeing that you had written a post. A really good and perceptive one at that!

• Becky December 11, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it Jon.

6. EmilyO December 10, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

Very perspective and a must-read for anyone looking at full-timing. At this time in my life, full-timing is not an option for me any more; but I am satisfied with the direction my life has taken and I can keep the love-of-the-idea in my heart.

• Becky December 11, 2014 at 4:20 pm #

I’m happy that you’ve satisfied with the way things are Emily. In my mind one of the main goals in life is to enjoy it, no matter which road you enjoy it by.

7. Jerry Minchey December 10, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

Becky,

The last two sentences in this post (re-stated below), sum up the whole idea of full-time RVing in my mind.

“Often when strangers tell me โ€œGosh, I wish I could do what youโ€™re doingโ€, I think what theyโ€™re really saying is: โ€œGosh, I wish I could be as happy as you are.โ€ And what makes me happy, wonโ€™t make everyone happy.”

No one could have said his a clearly and profoundly as you did in this post Becky. This is my all-time favorite post or article (out of all of your many previous ones).

• Becky December 11, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed it that much Jerry!

The real key to a good life is to find out what makes you happy. For most people, what makes them truly happy also involves helping others. It’s a win-win situation. “An’ it harm none, do as ye will.”

8. Ramen December 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Didn’t know Becky was such a philosopher =) Me, I’m just a wisecrack.

“I earn just slightly more than Iโ€™m spending”. Don’t we all…

• Becky December 11, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

I think most people do Ramen. Not too many people enjoy their jobs enough where they feel compelled to work harder just for the sake of working. Most work just hard enough to cover their needs. I could earn much more than I spend, but I don’t enjoy working and I’d rather have that time for other things.

• Ramen December 11, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

If I were to do it over again, I would get into education. Get the summers off, 1 week for Thanksgiving and 2 weeks for xmas/new years =) Or be a substitute and work when you want to….So where is the next adventure to after this Amazon gig? Hit the coast and give your legs a break for a month or two. Shouldn’t be too many tourist this time of year.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

More on what I’m up to after Amazon is coming up soon Ramen, working on the post now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I don’t think I could enjoy being a teacher. I like teaching, but teaching other people’s kids (most of whom don’t really want to be there) would be stressful. “Teaching” through this blog is different, because anyone who comes to IO is interested in learning.

That’s my thoughts on it anyway. I have the utmost respect for teachers, I think their job is harder than it looks.

• Ramen December 14, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Well, someone was a busy bee with all the replies. My inbox got lit up from checking on the box for receiving followup comments. You could always outsource your reply duty to your partner in crime. No one would know the difference =) She needs a voice!

If you make it to the SF Bay Area, I’ll treat you two to some sushi, ramen or whatever.

• Becky December 15, 2014 at 12:35 am #

I try to respond to every comment Ramen, sometimes it just takes a while. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not sure how close we’ll get to SF, but I’ll let you know!

• Julie December 15, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

See… while me and Becky are similar in a lot of ways, writing style isn’t one. Plus I’d require payment in chocolate and that would increase her costs. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Ramen December 15, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

It wont be long until we have bots that can do the replies for us. No need for chocolate bribes. Skynet is starting to look more real. Hopefully the Kiva bots won’t nuke the workampers in the future.

9. Mike December 10, 2014 at 10:35 pm #

Thank you for your insight and observation.

–Mike

• Becky December 11, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

You’re welcome Mike.

10. Lee December 11, 2014 at 1:58 am #

Excellent Post!!! A must read for future Full-Timers.

• Becky December 11, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it Lee.

11. Richard December 11, 2014 at 4:21 am #

H, Becky. Great post!

If something is broken in your life, full-timing won’t magically fix it for you, but full-timing may provide a way for you to fix it for yourself. It is the same with relationships. Starting a relationship expecting the other person to make you happy is a recipe for disaster. It is everyone’s job to make themselves happy. If we can share that happiness with another, then all the better.

• Becky December 11, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it Richard, and you make a good point. I didn’t quite get there in this post because it was already pretty long, but travel can be a good tool for self-healing. It’s not the travel itself that changes you, it’s what the travel inspires you to do.

12. dawn from camano island December 11, 2014 at 4:27 am #

We’re not going full-time but we will both be retired soon & traveling at-will. Your words about accepting people where they’re at were good for me to read since I’m known for saying what’s on my mind. Thank you, Becky. You are wise beyond your years.

• Becky December 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

I’m glad you found those words helpful Dawn. Congrats on your impending retirement, and I hope you enjoy the open road, even if it’s not full-time.

13. outwestbound December 11, 2014 at 4:35 am #

Becky,

Very insightful; thanks for sharing! I’m a divorced guy (10+ years ago) in his early 50s who just started full timing solo. Moved into a fifth wheel a couple months ago and am in a southeastern RV park preparing to head out west next spring. After retiring from a hectic “corporate” grind, I’m continuing my own investment management business over the internet for about 25 hours per week, which sustains me. However, volunteering sounds like a rewarding use of time given the right opportunity to contribute.

Until I began following your blog, and others like Wheelingit for example, the emotional/practical side of full timing remained elusive. I know that “forcing a life event”; like an abrupt move of residence or relationship, won’t fix underlying issues. Your thoughtful post illuminates this aspect for those of us at the beginning of the full-time RV journey (especially solo).

As for me, I’m following a lifelong passion to return to the outdoors, where I spent my childhood. I’m getting back in shape now so I can backpack, mountain bike, mountaineer and do the things that I loved doing when I was younger. Going full time in an RV has taken confidence and a willingness to embrace the unknown. I learn something new every day.

More than most, your posts have helped me “frame” the emotional and sociological aspects more clearly, rather than relying upon my own business, economics and finance mindset. In the month following “retirement”, I realized how insular my mindset had become. I’d never been in such mixed company as I discovered in the RV community. “Slowing down” as you put it, has been a challenge, but I’m moving in the right direction now, thanks to folks like you. Be well and safe in your travels.

Thanks and God Bless.

J

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

I’m happy to hear that my writing has had such a positive effect on you J. I hope you continue to enjoy and learn from full-time RVing. Safe travels and happy trails.

14. Shelly from Durham, NC December 11, 2014 at 6:42 am #

Becky, I have been reading your post for several months and enjoyed them all. This particular post was very insightful and well said. Thank you for giving me a glimpse into the ups and downs of full-timing. I have often talked about you with my friends and family and how much I enjoy your blog. However this blog is so “important” that I plan to forward it to my friend that is thinking of fulltiming and my sister who is currently fulltiming in her Class A.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

Wow, thanks for the share Shelly. Most of my new readers come from current reader’s recommendations, I’m happy to hear that IO has been so helpful to you.

I’m guessing you’re in the planning stage still, which often feels like a roller coaster. Keep working at it, and hopefully we’ll get the chance to meet on the road someday. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Jodee Gravel December 11, 2014 at 7:15 am #

Well said Becky. I believe the person who hopes to change their life by changing their lifestyle, without changing themselves, is similar to those who think a resolution will be easier to “keep” just because a date has passed on the calendar ๐Ÿ™‚
    Your words on addressing self-esteem by how you view others are, IMO, so critical for a happy community of happy individuals. And it doesn’t surprise me at all that you “get” that.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Still Crazy After All These Months…..My Profile

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:37 pm #

Yeah, typical New Year’s Resolutions have always kind of baffled me Jodee. I do a modified version of it: I write out goals that I want to accomplish for the year, and rank them in order of importance. I rarely get through all of them, but by having them there to look at throughout the year I keep on track and never feel lost.

16. Sunny Harvy December 11, 2014 at 7:18 am #

Very well said. Have shared on FB.
    Sunny Harvy recently posted..Several More Soggy Days in WashingtonMy Profile

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:37 pm #

Thanks for the share Sunny, glad you liked it!

17. Specialvessel December 11, 2014 at 7:29 am #

This was just the ticket this morning. I bought my casita a month ago, and became full time 2 weeks ago. Still trying to wrap my head around a few things that reading about could not even come close to reality. I really enjoyed what you said.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

The first few months are the hardest part of full-timing Special. It takes time for the realities of full-timing to sink in, and then time to adjust to all the changes. The good news is, if you’re still on the road after 6 months, you’ve got all the kinks worked out, and it becomes easier after that. I hope you enjoy this new phase!

18. Connie December 11, 2014 at 7:31 am #

Awesome post! I’m currently in the process of going full-time. I appreciate that you are honest and I love your open-minded perspective. I always look forward to the email telling me there’s a new blog post to read ๐Ÿ™‚

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

Aww, I’m glad to hear that you look forward to my posts Connie. Keep on plugging away at it, you’ll be on the road before you know it!

19. Reine in Plano December 11, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Great post. There was an article in our paper a while back about folks enjoying retirement more if they practiced enjoying CONTENTMENT instead of trying for excitement all the time. I think that’s true whether you’re retired or not. Unfortunately, being content with what you have and within yourself is something that many folks in our society have lost.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

Luckily though, being content is something you can learn and practice. The trick is so many people don’t realize that learning it is an option. I mean, no one is perfectly happy and content all the time, but if you keep trying at it, you get better.

20. mike german December 11, 2014 at 8:32 am #

Becky what is great about your blog besides the interesting insights into RVing is your open and honesty about yourself and how the lifestyle works for you as a person. Oh and the interesting places you go and things you do. Although you missed out when you were came through Vegas I would have loved to have taken you guys out on my jet skis. Lake Mead is a beautiful you just did not get to see the best parts. Keep up the good work.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Glad you’re enjoying my blog Mike. I haven’t spent as much time in the Vegas area as I would like, some year I’ll be back and hopefully we’ll get the chance to meet up then. Take care.

21. Kurt Kuhk December 11, 2014 at 11:38 am #

Great insight and very much appreciated. We started full timing only a few months ago on September 1, and I have already been ponderding such things. We planned for nearly two years and had expectations, but at the same time where excited for the unkown. Reading your post really gave me some framework for the random thoughts that have drifted through my mind over the past few months on the road. We are loving it, and your insight makes us feel wise beyond our limited travels, keep up the great work.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

Glad to hear that IO has helped you out so much as you get started traveling Kurt. As I always say, the first few months are the hardest (at least they were for me) and it does get easier after that. Enjoy the open road, safe travels and happy trails!

22. The Bee-Gals December 11, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Becky, this is truly a great post! I love the way you think things through and easily articulate your thoughts into thought provoking posts. I think we have have similar personalities and hope to meet up with you one day on the road to swap stories and thoughts. I will definately share your post from my blog also. We are just starting our journey again, and were somewhat prepared for many of the things you mentioned because we full-timed for 2 years when we were younger. Now recently retired, we hope to be doing this for many years ahead. I enjoy your posts, your attitude, and your lifestyle.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

Thank you Bee, I’m glad you’ve found this helpful.

I would like to meet up on the road someday, meeting readers is always fun. Congrats on your impending adventure, and I hope your second go at full-timing is fun and exciting!

23. Ken December 11, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

Great insight! We always think the grass is greener on the other side. But when we go there, we are still there with all of our attitudes and beliefs for better or worse.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

So true Ken. The grass may be greener on the other side, and it doesn’t hurt to plan to go and find out – but chances are the grass isn’t so bad where we’re standing, either. ๐Ÿ˜‰

24. Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets December 11, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

There you go again being wise beyond your years. BTW, great photo of you with your friends at the playground. My other half agreed.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

Thanks Ed, that playground was a lot of fun!

25. Tumbleweed December 12, 2014 at 8:16 am #

Great post.

On contentment – my grandmother would say “The key to happiness is not having what you want but wanting what you have”.

• Becky December 14, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

I’ve heard that saying before, and it’s a good one. ๐Ÿ™‚

26. Carlene December 13, 2014 at 5:41 pm #

Hi Becky, thanks for the great post. I got your link from Me&MyDog&MyRV, which I receive her postings. So I also signed up for yours.

I’ve been researching this for about a year, having talked to hosts over the late 80s and 90s while camping, thinking how cool would that be.

My house goes on the market within the next few weeks, I’ve got a few Ca state campgrounds eyed for hosting but until I’m out of the house it won’t happen. I am retired with a pension and SS but I still want to host. Also looking at wildlife refuges for volunteer work with rv full hooks ups.

I love travel, I’m on my 3rd passport, and will continue traveling until I’m too old to do it on my own.

Thanks for all of your support via your blog. There is a bunch of info out there on the web, it’s all usable in moderation.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year…

Carlene

• Becky December 15, 2014 at 12:39 am #

Crossing my fingers for a quick house sell Carlene! Welcome to IO and I’m glad you’re enjoying your stay.

Interestingly enough, I haven’t done a single camp hosting job before. That’ll probably be changing in 2015 but more on that coming up. I did enjoy the conservation center I volunteered at last winter, but that was a bit more physically demanding than the typical camp host position.

Happy holidays to you as well, take care!

27. Shelly December 14, 2014 at 6:05 am #

Awesome post Becky! I really enjoy following along on your journey, thank you for taking the time to write about your adventures. This post was especially informative ๐Ÿ™‚

• Becky December 15, 2014 at 12:40 am #

Glad you liked it Shelly! Thanks for reading.

28. Jan from Arkansas December 14, 2014 at 7:06 am #

Love your posts and insights.

• Becky December 15, 2014 at 12:41 am #

Glad to hear it Jan, thanks for following along.

29. Jeri December 14, 2014 at 8:12 am #

I think every RVer is different and only by doing does one understand what that life will mean for them. Some people love it and go on longer than they thought they would. They love the social aspect, the moving around and not having those roots. Then, there are others who hate it. We traveled most of our lives with our jobs. I can’t imagine staying put and I can’t imagine having another big house. I also agree with your comment that sometimes its better to get where you’re going instead of dragging the travel out for days at a time if you don’t have to. The great thing is we are all different and what works for someone else doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll work for you. After five years, I still love being on the road. We’re free and we’ve met some wonderful people. Heck, if we don’t like our neighbors, we just change our RV site! You’ve got to do what works for you and not what works for someone else. Great post!

• Becky December 15, 2014 at 12:45 am #

Glad you enjoyed this post Jeri. I agree with pretty much everything you said, and have written about all of it at some point or another. Keep on enjoying the lifestyle!

30. Sheila Wedegis December 14, 2014 at 8:32 am #

Wonderful post and things we are “working” on now as we are full timing for 6 months. I prefer to be a loner, but humorously find myself riding my bike around the campground we are at now chit chatting with everyone.
    Working is art and need to buckle down and create. As you say we are not on vacation. The other important issue is saving money.

Thanks for writing this..important information. Warmly, Sheila
    Sheila Wedegis recently posted..Saturday Night And Staying InMy Profile

• Becky December 15, 2014 at 12:52 am #

The 6 month anniversary was sort of a tipping point for me Sheila, the first half-year on the road was the hardest, and things got easier after that.

And I get you on traveling + creativity. Traveling helps put me in a creative mindset, but it’s hard to make yourself sit down and write/make art with so many distractions just waiting outside your RV door to be explored. For myself, I discovered that when I really need to buckle down and work on my ebook it’s actually better if I’m camping in a less touristy/beautiful area, so that I’m not tempted to spend all my time outside instead of working. A quite campground with maybe a trail or two nearby for quick exercise or to regroup my thoughts works best.

31. Beth April 10, 2015 at 10:46 pm #

My “favorite” RV blog sites are the ones that are realistic about RV-ing, especially full-timing. This entry reiterates somewhat of what Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote over a century ago:

โ€œTraveling is a fool’s paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go.โ€

• Becky April 11, 2015 at 12:09 pm #

Interesting quote Beth and true. Although I’d like to point out that the wonder and beauty are there as well and can still be reveled in. For me it’s about getting out of my head and being present where I am.

32. Linda September 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm #

Happy I found your site! We have been reading everything we can on living full time on the road for almost a year, however, it’s not a real mystery to me as my parents did this for many years. We’re retired now and have decided to go full time. Thank you for all your wonderful posts.

• Becky September 29, 2015 at 6:05 pm #

Welcome to IO Linda! Glad you’re finding my blog helpful and entertaining. I wish you all the best getting on the road. It can be a nerve wracking process, but the payoff is so worth it. ๐Ÿ™‚