The Cheapest Internet Option

the-cheapest-internet-for-rversFor over two years now I have been relying on public WiFi and bumming internet while visiting friends to get online with my computer. While most full-time RVers pay to get internet through satellite, datacard, or a hotspot plan I have gone without since I first moved into Cas.

Not having a TV, getting on the internet is one of my primary entertainment methods. It’s also how I keep in touch with my friends and how this blog stays updated. Having access to the internet is important to me, so why choose to travel without a ready means to get online? Money, of course.

For those of you would-be full-timers with more limited budgets like me, one way to reduce your expenses on the road is to cut out the cost of internet. Back when I moved into my RV, a datacard through Millenicom that would grant me 10 gigs of data was $60 a month after initial set up fees, buying direct from the big names like AT&T and Verizon was even more. Over the nearly 25 months that I have not had such a plan, I’ve saved over $1,440 in monthly fees, that’s a significant amount of money. Or more importantly, a significant amount of time I’ve been able to spend sightseeing instead of working.

A growing number of campgrounds and public places are offering free WiFi to their customers and visitors now, which makes traveling without a dedicated internet source more viable than it was in the past. So here are some tips for those who are thinking of cutting out the cost.

For starters, the way I go about full-timing definitely makes it easier for me to rely on public WiFi than others.

• Private campgrounds are more likely to have WiFi than state and national park campgrounds do, and if you’re boondocking the chances are nil. I spend the majority of my time in private campgrounds while I work my seasonal jobs.

• I have a separate driving vehicle from my RV, so when WiFi isn’t available at my campground it’s easier for me to seek it out.

• I stay in one area for months at a time, the number of travel days I have in a year are relatively few. Finding internet while you’re hauling your house around is a challenge, and the less often you move your home the less time you spend hunting down WiFi.

But even then, everyone has heard stories about how slow and unreliable campground WiFi can be. Like in many areas of life you get what you pay for and that is true here too, but there are things you can do to minimize the problems.

• For the US, internet use is the highest in the evening hours. More people in a campground will be online then than at any other time…which will slow it down. Try to arrange your schedule so that you’re getting online during non-peak times for better speeds and less disconnects.

• When you’re choosing a site at a campground that has WiFi, pick one that is near to the source. Usually campground WiFi originates at the park office, but if you’re unsure, ask. The greater the distance the signal has to travel, the weaker it gets.

• The same is true of obstacles, whether they be trees, buildings, or other RVs. Even the shell and other gadgets in your own RV hampers the signal to a certain extent. Set up your computer near a window, and away from other electronics. Try to position yourself so the signal doesn’t need to cut through other RVs to get to you.

• Even if your campground has workable WiFi, make a point while you’re exploring the area to figure out backup places to get on the internet nearby, in case of an outage.

The equipment you have and how you use it can also play an important role in how effectively you can get online using public WiFi.

• Think about battery time. You’re going to have a harder time finding places that have both WiFi and a place to plug your gadgets in. Make sure they’re charged before you leave your RV if your heading out to find WiFi. When you’re shopping for laptops or tablets, make good battery time one of your priorities. Run only necessary programs when you’re away from a power source to conserve battery.

• Consider WiFi boosters if you routinely have problems picking up a signal. These come in all sizes and price ranges, from a USB plug-in smaller than your thumb to satellite look-alike arrays that stand on poles taller than a person. Important Note: These will help with the range at which you can pick up a signal, but not the speed. For instance, they’re helpful if you’re parked at a campground on the opposite end from where the WiFi originates and you’re having problems getting bars, but they will not help if you have enough bars but there are so many people on the WiFi that it’s slowed to a crawl.

And last but not least, a couple precautions for those of you who are planning on relying primarily on public internet sources. Public internet is less secure than private sources. By which I mean it’s easier for other folks to spy and see what you’re doing on the internet, and possibly even easier to hack into your computer.

• Invest in good anti-virus software, preferably the kind that includes anti-spyware capabilities too. I use Avast!, which is free and so far has done a fine job. Keep it up to date.

• If your operating program doesn’t have a Firewall built in, get one of those too. Windows has a Firewall, and I’ve also installed ZoneAlarm (another free program) on top of that. Again, keep it up to date.

• Be careful when accessing sites that have sensitive personal data on them, especially bank accounts and the like. Always look for the https:// in front of the URL instead of the standard http://, that means the site is more secure. I try to do my banking from private internet sources whenever possible to reduce the risk, since as visiting friends.

Internet access is one facet of RVing that can be had for free with just a little planning, even if you rely on it regularly like I do. I hope this article will prove helpful for those of you out there looking to save a little money on your traveling adventure. I have a feeling my own journey without my own internet source is coming to an end, as I suspect that public WiFi will be harder to find out west, but it was good (and cheap) while it lasted. Have a good week all!

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon.com shopping using my affiliate link.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

, , , ,

58 Responses to The Cheapest Internet Option

1. Jr cline May 20, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

I’m a heavy internet user. But I’m going to attempt to do as you suggest. I hope that it works.
    Jr cline recently posted..Heart of Dixie Railroad MuseumMy Profile

• Becky May 20, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Well, you’re not out anything by trying at least Cline. If a few months in you decide you need to pay for more at least you’ll have saved money those few months and know for sure. 🙂

2. Brent May 20, 2014 at 7:13 pm #

We just started traveling around on our full-time journey. I don’t know if we can maintain it, but our current plan is to make sure we only camp at parks that have cable as an option. Most cable companies will let you hook up with no contract. I am planning on staying only 6 weeks here and I am going to pay $50/month for unlimited data 6up/60down.

If we end up having to be hooked up even over travel days we will try and just pay for wifi hotspot on phones I guess.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

So at $50 a month it’s still cheaper than getting a hotspot plan for yourself. Let me know how it goes Brent, I don’t believe I know anyone who’s going that route and I’m curious to see how it works!

Most full-timers end up going with Millenicom for their hotspot plans, over their regular phone company because there is no contract and it’s a bit less expensive. Buying the initial equipment still costs over $150 if I remember right though. If you check a few comments below though, Cherie at Technomadia has multiple blog posts (and the linked handbook) that go into detail about internet options that are more than just relying on public WiFi like I do, it’s worth a peek.

3. Lee May 20, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

Great post! Public internet and Banking is a High Risk proposition. The best advice I can give is, if you have a touchscreen computer, use the touchscreen keyboard for all banking information.

That way a “keystroke” virus won’t send your numbers to somebody. Yep, had that happen twice. Switched to touchscreen keyboard and trouble free for 2 years. I also do a Deep security scan every night, right before I hit the sack. I have Vipre and it will scan while I’m sleeping, then shut off the computer after the scan.

• Becky May 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

I have a regular keyboard Lee and haven’t had a problem yet in two years, but like I said I have spyware and antivirus programs that are suppose to check for those kind of threats and I keep them up to date and scan regularly. That doesn’t mean that it can’t happen to me I know, but the risks are more slim. I’m sorry that it happened to you twice but glad it hasn’t lately.

4. Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

Thanks for the Avast recommendation!
    Kim recently posted..Road Trip PrepMy Profile

• Becky May 20, 2014 at 8:33 pm #

You’re welcome Kim!

• Gary May 21, 2014 at 9:06 am #

Becky … excellent info for folks on the road. And you may be surprised at how easy it is to get internet access out West. That is where we have hung our hat most of the time over the past 7 years and have had few problems. As for security, you might want to look into VPN’s (virtual private network). They are very inexpensive and give users a ton of extra security. Happy Trails and get ready for some exciting adventures as you head out West!

Gary

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

Glad you liked it Gary. I’ll cross my fingers for readily available WiFi. 😉 So excited to be heading out that way.

5. Cherie @Technomadia May 21, 2014 at 12:23 am #

Excellent write-up to a very worthwhile approach that can work for those not needing to be tethered to internet most of the day 🙂 So glad it’s worked for you, and we’ll be linking to this article as an example of an effective approach to mobile internet.
    Cherie @Technomadia recently posted..Help us make ‘The Mobile Internet Handbook’ 2nd Edition Awesome!My Profile

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:06 pm #

Aww, thanks Cherie!

Coming from you that means a lot, in my mind you and Chris are the gurus of staying connected while traveling, haha.

For other readers seeing this, if public WiFi isn’t going to do it for you and you’re looking for other internet options, definitely check out Technomadia. They’ve got a lot of good info there.

6. JimS May 21, 2014 at 5:53 am #

I think you got the bases covered. Good article. A firewall is probably the most important component you mentioned. It needs to be able to detect a public network and set its rules accordingly (i.e No incoming access allowed).

But you may be pleasantly surprised at how accessible public Internet is out west. Lots of small towns have coffeehouses and several McD’s have it (sometimes at an interchange off an interstate in the middle of nowhere). And you’ll be less likely to have a room full of hipsters watching videos on it. 🙂

However, I don’t RV, so my experience is slim compared to fulltimers.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

I guess we’ll find out Jim!

7. Marsha May 21, 2014 at 6:34 am #

As we’ve traveled we’ve noticed many states with WiFi in the rest areas.

Not too long ago we never traveled with electronics. Now it’s like we (personally) can’t live without them. Although it’s been handy to have internet access on the road to find places to camp, eat or buy gas.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Yes Marsha I’ve started noticing that too, most of the rest stops in GA have WiFi now.

I have a smartphone that lets me get on the internet for GPS purposes, I was never very good at reading maps and the GPS has been a lifesaver for me while I’m actually traveling and looking for food and campgrounds like you said.

8. David Swanson May 21, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Hi my name is David and I’m an internetaholic. I use about 1/2 wifi and 1/2 cell data, and I spend too much of my day surfing aimlessly. I’m moving into a smaller vehicle so I can travel to more spots without coverage to curb my addiction. I use Chris and Cherie’s Coverage app in reverse which helps a lot. 🙂
    Surf on.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

Haha, funny David.

In the campgrounds I stay in without WiFi, I definitely spend less time on aimless surfing. If I’m going to be sitting in my truck in a McDonalds parking lot I definitely don’t waste time online, it gets uncomfortable. 😉

9. Curious by Nature May 21, 2014 at 9:09 am #

One of my favorites is YouTube down loader. You can download hours of video in a short time period, and watch it later. Eliminates the ads as well! Good for rainy days.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

Huh, never heard of that Curious but it sounds nifty. I’ll have to look into it. I do a lot more reading when I don’t have ready internet.

10. Liz May 21, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Almost every public library has WiFi these days and are fun places to spend time in. We spent a rainy afternoon in a tiny library on Southport Island in Maine. Free coffee and cookies, displays about local history, and colorful characters.

• Diane May 21, 2014 at 11:50 am #

Yes, Liz, and even when the libraries are closed, you can usually park or sit outside and still have access to the WiFi signal.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

I’m actually typing this up from the little library in Fairburn right now, haha. Sad thing about libraries is they often have odd hours. This one isn’t even open Thurs and Fri. Like Diane said I spend more time in my truck mooching WiFi than indoors on it I think. Sounds like you had a lot of fun at that one though.

11. Roger May 21, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Hi Becky,

Great information, I only wish I had seen some of it sooner. After buying a WiFi booster, I did come to realize that it would not help with the speed, only the signal strength.
    I am in a national park on the west coast, and believe it or not I have WiFi, although it is very slow at times.However it is only for another 3 months, so I will use it and avoid paying for Hughesnet or the like. I know one person up here who has it and pays $180/month.

Stay safe out there,

Roger

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

Yikes that’s a lot of money Roger, I think you made the right choice putting up with slow internet if it’s only 3 more months.

A friend of mine who relies on internet to earn her living went full-timing for close to a year and she bought a huge WiFi booster to help her out. One campground she stayed at didn’t have WiFi at all… but with the booster she could pick up a signal from the hotel down the road, haha.

12. Rick May 21, 2014 at 9:41 am #

I ordered Millenicom’s 20GB hot spot for $70/mo. Before I activated it, they increased it to $90. Returned it and got a full refund. Where I’m at now, Southern Illinois, I must go to the club house to pick up WiFi. But, there’s beautiful picnic tables overlooking the lake and woods in the shade. Prevents me from spending too much time online. Do the basics and go enjoy life. It’s too short.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

Yes I’d heard about that price hike Rick, it’s unfortunate but at $90 still cheaper than buying the data direct from Verizon. Still if it’s just a short walk to get to free internet and you don’t need it all the time, then why pay at all? I like your thinking. 😉

13. Paul LeBoutillier May 21, 2014 at 9:55 am #

Hi Becky! Great article! As someone who lives and travels throughout the West I’m happy to tell you that Wi-Fi availability is improving all the time. It’s rare that we don’t have a Wi-Fi signal when camping. Our favorite State campground in the Idaho mountains even offers Wi-Fi now.

Question: Does your cell phone carrier offer a way for you to create a Wi-Fi hotspot? Last year while traveling my wife needed to get online to update our financials but we couldn’t find a signal where we had stopped. My Verizon smartphone allowed me to create a Wi-Fi hotspot so she could get online. (We keep those brief.)

Also, as it relates to virus and identity protection, AVG FREE is another great program that I sometimes rotate with AVAST! using one or the other for six months or so and then switching back.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

Hello Paul, glad you liked the article and you’re not the first to tell me that internet access is increasing out West, woohoo!

Yes I could get that plan, but I’d have to pay more for the option and my phone data plan is only 2 gb, not enough to do much with. If I wanted 20 gb direct from Verizon it’d be $120 vs. $90 to go through Millenicom. Since I don’t need it right now I’m sticking with my free option. The 2 gb on my phone does let me check e-mails and weather and run my GPS.

I’ve heard of AVG but didn’t know anyone personally who used it, thanks for the tip.

• SamG May 22, 2014 at 9:02 am #

Hi Becky; Like Paul I switched from AVG which worked very well to Avast for while. Because AVG nagged me sometimes. Well, Avast seems to provide good protection but nags a lot more. By nagging I mean poppup windows appear on the desktop informing this or that. So shortly a return to AVG seems inevitable.

• SamG May 22, 2014 at 9:05 am #

A couple years back I purchased a wifi antenna from Ebay for $36. It will amplify signal strength at least 4X. My old motorhome is stored in a yard 1/8 mile from a Home Depot. Without the wifi antenna couldn’t access the internet. Working on the motorhome while in the yard.This fall I intend to leave SE Pa. and move to New Mexico/ Arizona. Using one as a home base. Thanks for publishing your travels. Enjoy your visits out West. I click your Amazon link when searching for items. Good idea there!

• Becky May 22, 2014 at 11:46 am #

Heya Sam! I’m just good at tuning out the nagging, Avast is first and foremost a company, and if they can’t get their free users to turn into paying customers they’re out money, I can’t blame them for trying.

Glad that that antenna works for you! I’ve used WiFi from Home Depot more than once, so thankful for the growing number of businesses that are providing it.

Best of luck to you on the motorhome work, I hope you enjoy Mexico/Arizona! I’m looking forward to spending more time in Arizona this winter if not before…

• doug loberg July 31, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

Hi Becky:
            I’m looking at going rv living 100% in the not too distant future. I live in Arizona(winter is good….summer bad) so I find all of the posts extremely helpful. Thank you. I’m in the fact finding stage and will be taking action in the future but I have a bunch of possessions to sell off and am still deciding on what I want to live in. Budget is major concern and used is the only way I can afford something. Class c or trailer with Expedition for towing may work and I’m sure I will only have $10k to work with.

My comment or reason for reply is this: I haven’t seen folks talk about Hughes Net for internet access. I just called them and their one plan is for 49.99/mo and then 9.99 if you rent the equipment. 30 gb and then they throttle you but don’t charge for overages. Seems pretty good to me. Any comments regarding this?

Thank you for your website and all the posts…I just found it today so am going through it now.
            Doug

14. John W. Abert May 21, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Hi Becky,

We are heavy Internet users right now because we watch all our TV shows online, too…something that will have to change when we start traveling again. We have installed a data logging app to give us an idea of how many gigs per month we use now, and I can already see that no cell data plan is going to be enough unless we stop using the computer as our TV source.

The other thing that no one has mentioned, is to not stick to any particular method. Just because you have a data plan, don’t use it if you have free WI-FI available. Only use your data plan when you are away from a WI-FI source, and you might be able to save some money on data usage. We are still monitoring our usage (right now, up around 90 gigs per month, with TV watching), with the hope of figuring out a good balance for later on. In our case, we will probably have a digital antenna for local TV (when available), plus a portable dish for more remote areas. For computer use, we will use WI-FI when it’s available, but we may want a data plan, too. But since we run an Internet-based business, most of it is a write-off, so the cost isn’t as critical.

Good post, and stay safe out there.
    John W. Abert recently posted..Indiana Sightseeing…Part Two…RV/MH Hall of FameMy Profile

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

Yeah John streaming video online takes up data faaaaast. Best of luck to you finding the connectivity options that work best for you!

• Peter Williams July 11, 2014 at 7:07 pm #

Hi John,

Also a heavy internet user although my DL is closer to 300gb a month. You can DL acceptable quality TV shows to watch any time at abut 300mb for a typical 1hour (actually 42 min) show. Check out Usenet which can be accessed though Easynews.com. I am hoping that I can survive on 2-3 shows a night while we are on the road ( fulltiming from Nov of this year) with occasional stops at campgrounds and Starbucks parking lots I’m hoping we will be ok.

• Becky July 16, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Thanks for helping Peter.

15. Mas Prema May 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

Thank you very much for this post. The practical advice was enlightening. The safety tips were very timely, I needed the reminder. I have linked to this post.
    Thank you.

• Becky May 21, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

You’re welcome Mas, glad it’ll prove helpful to you. 🙂

16. Emily May 21, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

Great post, Becky. We lived without paid internet for 4 years on the road from ’07 to ’11. In those days Starbucks and McDonalds often charged for their wifi, but now they don’t and they are both good options. Home Depot has also started offering free public wifi at many of their stores, and lots of small town motels have an open signal. When we had a crisis and needed good wifi all day long for two days in a row while we communicated with insurance companies and other businesses, a motel with a Business Center said we could camp out in one of their little rooms as long as we needed to, for free. This came with a printer and fax machine too (we paid for the long distance fax calls). The Texas interstate highway system has free wifi at a lot of their rest areas as well.
    Emily recently posted..Sedona Heights – Montezuma’s Castle & Schnebly HillMy Profile

• Becky May 22, 2014 at 11:55 am #

Hello Emily! Wow, I imagine that was a lot tougher in ’07, the public WiFi scene was a lot different back then. I’m so glad to hear that you were able to find a place to help you out when that crisis came up. I know a lot of folks think asking for help from strangers is a risky proposition, but like you I’ve found that the majority of people are good and willing to help in an emergency.

I just went and peeked at your link, what a beautiful place! I can’t wait to get down to Arizona myself, should be happening this winter for Quartzsite if not sooner depending on how job searching goes.

Take care! Really hoping to meet up with you two on the road someday. 🙂

17. John June 13, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

Hi All, not a full timer however it does intrigue. For safety on open WiFi one can set up a free VPN at http://www.vpngate.net/ It’s run through a university in Japan as an experiment. I’ve used it extensively. When using it, the WiFi sniffers only see the address from the site and cannot access anything being sent back and forth. It works best on Window and Mac, it does work with Ubuntu but takes a little bit to get it to work. I hope this helps and keeps folks safe and secure on the road.

John

• Becky June 14, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

Ooo clever John thanks for sharing. 🙂

• BoxinTheCompass July 4, 2014 at 7:28 am #

Hi Becky,

John is spot on with VPN, its an absolute must have at public wifi spots!

I didnt know about that free one, there are other affordable vpn’s out there

Love your blog!
        Preston aka Boxin´

18. Becky August 4, 2014 at 10:02 am #

Doug,

No I haven’t heard Huges Net being discussed before for full-timers so I’m afraid I can’t offer you advice on that. Is it nomad friendly? As in, does the company allow you to move location with it without incurring extra fees? I remember that being an issue with some satellite companies. If you move to an area where you don’t get reception, can you put the service on hold and not pay for the time you can’t use it? The popular internet providers for full-timers let you do that. You probably want to call the company and explain the situation and see what they say.

19. Terri September 3, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

I know you said that the wifi at Zion was some of the worst you have ever had. Are you thinking of paying for wifi now? I was glad to see this post because I have been wondering about it too. I will hope to maybe even do some data entry or other work while on the road, but will need a good connection.
    Terri recently posted..Ah, that consumer lifestyle…My Profile

• Becky September 3, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Paying for a cellular data plan that can be turned into a WiFi hotspot my laptop can tap into. I’ve thought about it since I hit the road, but haven’t jumped yet and I won’t now with less than one month left at Zion. Maybe next time I get a bad WiFi area. Most full-timers go with a plan through Millenicom that gives 20 gigs of data a month for $90 using Verizon’s towers. It’s a good deal, but still $90 more a month I’d be spending. 😉

I’d suggest waiting until you get on the road Terri and see how free WiFi goes for you, then upgrade if you discover it’s not enough.

• Terri September 4, 2014 at 3:17 am #

I think you’re right, Becky, I need to wait and see how much I will really use. I watch a lot of youtube (and netflix) now, but that’s because it’s something to do and it’s cheap via my internet provider, and I don’t have a TV. I saw on your post or maybe it was someone who commented on it, that relying on the cheap wifi or campground wifi makes you focus your time when online, so you don’t waste time, and get out and enjoy life more. And that really struck me.

I guess it’s like other things – I will be constantly adjusting. All this time, I thought I would get a scooter and ride that as my mode of transportation. I bought one last week and just don’t feel very comfortable with it at all, to the point where I am scared of it. So now I’m readjusting my mindset, or trying to anyway, and think, “can i get by with just the electric bike at first? Do I go with a travel trailer like Becky is doing?” Thing is, I have all these animals, and I’m not sure how happy they would be for those long drives in carriers,, even though if I do the same seasonal thing as you, I won’t be moving around all the time. So many things to think about….
        Terri recently posted..Ah, that consumer lifestyle…My Profile

• Becky September 4, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Yeah it is a lot to think about and I remember how overwhelming it can be at times. Having the animals certainly adds another layer to the difficulty but it can be so rewarding to travel with animals on the road.

In the end, you need to make the decisions for yourself, but with as many pets as you have I can understand the reluctance to go the trailer + tow vehicle route, carriers take up a fair bit of room and you’d need several of them.

Do you think if you take it slow you’ll get more comfortable with the scooter over time?

20. Terri September 4, 2014 at 11:55 am #

A lot of people are telling me to take it slowly, and as of this morning, I was like “just completely terrified.” But I talked to a good friend and coworker, who is kind of like Yoda (his nickname) and he rides motorcycles. He knows what I am going through – he hit everything dead on. So I think I will ride it to my second job tonight and then ride it home. Maybe stop off at a parking lot on the way and practice some more.

Yes, since I know you have worked with animals a lot, you know how cats do NOT love the carriers, so much!
    Terri recently posted..Ah, that consumer lifestyle…My Profile

21. David H December 28, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Hi Becky, I’m no techie by any means but re the security topic and the vpn topic…. you might want to take a look at this one by a traveling tech man… http://foxnomad.com/
    Can just google if you want to read more.
    Happy travels, appreciate your stories.

• Becky December 29, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Huh, haven’t heard of that one before David, thanks for the link!

22. Kevin Feltner August 22, 2016 at 4:50 pm #

Hey Becky. I’ve been using Project Fi (https://fi.google.com/) for my travels over the past eight months, and I am happy with it. I pay $20 for unlimited voice and text then an additional $10 for each GB of data. You only pay for what you use, so if I only use 300MB, I am only charged for 300MB. Plus… the data rates are available in 135+ countries. The only negative I can see is that you have to have one of two phones that allow the service.
    Kevin Feltner recently posted..Alaska 2.0My Profile

• Becky August 23, 2016 at 3:28 pm #

Thanks for sharing Kevin, this post is actually outdated now (http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2015/06/29/getting-lucky-with-mobile-internet/ is the latest one) and I do pay for data now.

What towers does Project Fi use? I stick with Verizon even though it’s more per month because they have the best coverage and I like to camp in remote areas where the smaller cellular providers have zip for signal.

• Kevin Feltner August 23, 2016 at 3:38 pm #

In the US, they currently utilize two carriers… Tmobile and Sprint. Also… there is no extra charge for tethering.
        Kevin Feltner recently posted..Alaska 2.0My Profile