Self Renewal

self-renewal1This week has been about finding moments for myself amidst the chaos, a challenge that has been made easier by the explosion of life and color down here in Florida. Spring foliage is coming out in earnest now, and to me spring has always been synonymous with renewal and recharging. The extra hour of sunlight in the evening is helping me feel like I have more time in my day and less rushed even though my schedule has remained unchanged – I’ve never been a morning person.

There have been several pictures snapped this past week in between fence upkeep, marker maping, grocery runs, and trips to the barn to get on the WiFi. The fire picture at the bottom is older, from Julie’s visit a month ago. The rest are all recent. I believe that snake is a rat snake, if I heard my coworker right. And that seashell is right where I found it, sitting sun bleached and whole in the middle of a woods.

As for the flowers, the top one is lupin (or maybe lupine?). The yellow one I’m not sure of, it’s a vine that seems to grow abundantly down here, I saw it blooming in southern Georgia too on my drive up to rehearsal last weekend, it’s possible it goes farther north than that but without the flowers it doesn’t stand out.

My writing time tonight is limited. Tonight I’m going to get my Fernley application in if it’s the last thing I do. But first, a word on energy and creative endeavors, because I wonder if other people who do creative writing, photography, art work, and the like have noticed the trend that I’ve been noticing.

I didn’t regularly do a lot of creating before I started IO. I mean I’d write and draw on occasion, but it wasn’t a regular part of my life. But since I’ve started writing regularly, I’ve noticed that my blog posts have and ebb and flow to them. I’ll have a month with a lot of how-to and thought provoking posts that take a lot of mental effort and inspiration to create, and then I’ll have periods where I write blog posts more like today’s that are light and don’t require much energy to create.

Right now I’m feeling a stronger need to spend what free time I do have on things just for myself, which in our culture is seen as a very selfish thing to do. The way I look at it though, you can only give what you have. In endeavors such as blogging that means the creative energy that gets poured into writing needs to come from somewhere, and for me that means doing things expressly that make me happy, even if they serve no higher purpose. Reading, catching up on TV shows, taking pictures of pretty flowers, quiet time with close friends, enjoying the changing view from my RV windows, and things like that are all ways that I replenish that creative energy I use to write with.

Rest assured though, that the pendulum will soon swing the other way and my “cup” so to speak will be full and then it’ll be time to spend that energy I’ve collected writing those helpful inspiring posts again. How about it fellow creatives, have you noticed a phenomenon like this?

, , , ,

27 Responses to Self Renewal

1. EmilyO March 12, 2014 at 10:22 pm #

Oh most definitely. I wear myself out and the creative juices dwindle. I need the time to fill up again – for me that seems to come when the weather becomes hard for me to be outside. I love being outside and I see something and wonder. . . .hmmm and then off I go. I don’t write or draw, am a not a photographer (ideas in the head but something happens between the idea in the head and the hand!) but I like to do things in the garden or with my little trailer. Nature is so much more creative than I am and and I like to enveloped by it and what it does to me and those “juices”. You are in a beautiful place this time of the year.

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

I definitely agree with you on being outdoors Emily. I can recharge by taking hikes, sitting outside my RV and reading, and doing other outdoorsy things. During the winter, I tend to be less creative and have more trouble finding my inner peace. I have a feeling I could probably get diagnosed as having Seasonal Affective Disorder if I had a mind to go see a specialist, but it hardly seems important with the way I live my life now. By wintering in places like Florida it mitigates some of the effect since there are days even in January where it’s warm enough to do things outside.

2. OpenSpaceMan March 12, 2014 at 10:32 pm #

Appreciate you taking the time to show evidence of spring…to me it’s still just a distant memory… something I daydream about as I pass the piles of dirty melting snow and grouchy faces.

Thanks for the pics.

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 7:40 pm #

You’re welcome Space.

It’s funny though, today I heard from an RVing friend of mine who is wintering in Saskatchewan, and she’s talking about the arrival of spring up there… it’s just that what constitutes early spring in Canada and Florida are two very different things. 😉

I hope the melting snow is the start for you and that true spring comes soon.

3. Donald N Wright March 13, 2014 at 12:05 am #

I have enjoyed your journey on the road less traveled, and hope one day, to make this journey myself.

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

Glad you’ve enjoyed it Donald, and yes, please do join us on the road – the more the merrier. 🙂

4. Rene Kipp March 13, 2014 at 1:05 am #

It’s not being selfish to rest and relax. We all need to do that from time to time. Writing something, such as a blog post, does take work-mentally and creatively. I own a business making custom plastic items. There are times when I go to work and have to figure out how I’m going to build ‘X’ and it can be draining. By the end of the day, I’m exhausted and I’ve hardly left the office all day. Enjoy your down time and recharge! Tomorrow you might not have a rest period…

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

I had a feeling I wasn’t the only one, thanks for chiming in Rene! I’m curious though, do you run your plastic business out of your home or…? I enjoy learning things from entrepreneurs, one day I want to be able to earn all of my income working for myself doing things out of my RV so that I don’t have to take seasonal jobs anymore.

• Rene Kipp March 14, 2014 at 11:50 am #

My husband and I started our business in our garage over 25 years ago. It was part-time at first and then grew over time. We are now in a 2500 square foot industrial building. We fabricate new items and also repair items. We’ve repaired RV water tanks, kayaks, playground slides, and others. Take a look at the website, if you care to, and check out some of our work. It’s never a dull moment around here.
        We have plans for our future on the road. We’re just not ready to disclose them publicly. So send me an email and I would be happy to answer any questions you have about owning a business. I’m sure you’ll find your niche when you least expect it!

• Becky March 16, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Thank you for sharing Rene! I’m trying a little of this and a little of that, it’ll come to me in time.

5. Bart March 13, 2014 at 3:01 am #

Hi Becky,
    I’m a musician and for many years toured with artists out of Nashville. (Dixie Chicks, Jim Lauderdale, The Kinleys, Andy Griggs) Life on the road has been exciting and I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. For me, the creative side with others is fueled by my minimalist side of solitude. I love being around creative folks of all types, touring, playing music, staying up late etc. However, my time alone recharging- reading, hiking, and mountain biking is just as important. I truly need both to be happy. I also find that my sleep habits (late-night living when playing a lot, early mornings when I’m not) also morph and change. Ha… I’m cursed with being a night person and a morning person! I think the ebb and flow is common. Accept the fact that you are not always going to “feel” creative or motivated to work at your craft. Everyone recharges in different ways… it’s not selfish at all. A personal routine to avoid burnout is actually quite handy.

I recently stumbled upon your blog while researching Casitas and plan on shopping for one in the near future. The RV lifestyle looks like it may be a good fit. We’ll see! Thanks for sharing your experiences… very insightful posts.

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

Heya Bart, and thanks for sharing your experiences too. I take it you read my blog post about my Casita? If not you may want to check it out

Good luck in your RV research, you’re smart to take your time and really give it thought before jumping head first into it.

6. Jr cline March 13, 2014 at 6:32 am #

I think the yellow flowering vine is a Jasmine vine. They are blooming in central Alabama now too.
    My blogs cycle from light to more thoughtful. I’ll have to go back and see if there is a time pattern. That would be interesting to know.

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Thanks Cline! Another reader posted the same thing below and if two people respond with the same answer I’m rather inclined to believe they’re right. Enjoy your spring in Alabama. 🙂

7. cozygirl March 13, 2014 at 9:18 am #

Up and down…sometimes I’m on it…other times seeking self renewal. Gave up FB for Lent and been wonderful…don’t feel I have to comment, post, like, etc. Glad you take the time to step back for yourself Becky…you need that recharge sometimes.

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 7:50 pm #

Oooh, yeah Cozy there have been times when I’ve dropped off Facebook for a week or so, other than just to put my blog posts up since I know that’s how some people keep track of when I update. It’s nice to “unplug” on occasion. It sounds like you’re enjoying your time in Alabama, take care!

8. Pondering Pops March 13, 2014 at 10:31 am #

I most certainly notice that ebb and flow you discuss. I maintain one personal and three business blogs and keeping up with all of them is very demanding. Quiet time and personal space are essential to help me recharge. Keeping up with current business thought, and growing personally and spiritually are three other essentials to keep the creative juices flowing. It’s not easy, and you do a great job at it. Reading blogs like yours is always refreshing for me.
    Pondering Pops recently posted..20140304 – To Simplify…My Profile

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Thanks for the compliments Pops, glad you’re enjoying IO. I think my eyes bugged a little when I read this comment though, I have a hard time keeping up with one blog, how the heck do you manage four? Haha. I bet you have to schedule your time pretty effectively to manage that feat.

• Pondering Pops March 19, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

It’s probably obvious by my late reply that it’s a challenge! My goal is to post once weekly on each blog. Lately I’ve been lucky to write one post per week, not four. Scheduling is essential, as is allowing for pondering time. Each blog is different in its subject matter so that helps. It also helps that I work from a home office as an independent business adviser so I have a lot of flexibility in the jobs I take and how I manage my time. I also view the business blogs as part of my job, it’s another way I can help business people and entrepreneurs perform at their best. But my biggest motivation is it’s fun and something I feel called to do. And that, I think, we have in common. Keep up the good work Becky!
        Pondering Pops recently posted..20140225-2 – Thinking About Health, Life and ResponsibilityMy Profile

• Becky March 19, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

Yes we do have that in common. Take care!

9. Lacy March 13, 2014 at 10:51 am #

The yellow vine is known as Carolina Jasmine ………..

Enjoy Spring!

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Thanks Lacy! It sure is pretty. Enjoy your spring as well.

10. Gerri Jones March 14, 2014 at 9:04 am #

I have noticed that trend among the blogs that I read as well as for myself. That is what we are doing this week. Life comes at us fast at times and just getting away listening to nature sure helps me reconnect.
    Great pics!!!!

• Becky March 16, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Have a good week of rest and relaxation Gerri!

11. Furry Gnome March 17, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

For years I’ve said to myself: “You’ve got to have down time in order to have up time”.

• Becky March 18, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

That’s a good saying Gnome. 🙂

1. 21040324 – A Busy Month, a Brief Sabbatical | Tuesdays With Terry - April 23, 2014

[…] of my favorite bloggers, Becky at Interstellar Orchard, recently posted about self renewal and her need for alone time to recharge. Cherie at […]