My Favorite Part of RVing

my-favorite-part-of-rvingA question for all of you RVers and RVing hopefuls out there. What is (or do you think will be) your favorite thing about the lifestyle?

This question is a bit tough for me to answer because there are so many things I like about RVing that it’s hard to narrow it down to one favorite. I have over time come up with my answer, but it definitely took some thought.

Obviously there’s getting to see so many neat things in person, the joy of experiencing something new and being able to say “I was there.” Then there are all the interesting people you meet, and the convenience of being able to visit friends and relatives for extended periods of time without imposing on anyone’s hospitality. Another high point would be the freedom of a less rigid schedule and the flexibility to balance life and work better. And lets not forget how you grow as a person, learning more about yourself once you escape the rut of 9 – 5 living and discover what you’re capable of as you handle the ups and downs of life on the road.

I love all of these aspects of fulll-timing, but often it’s the moments of quiet contentment that I enjoy the most. The times when it feels like, at least for a while, all aspects of your life are in balance and getting the attention they need. When the regrets of the past, the need-to-do’s of today, and the worries about the future fall away to let the beauty of the moment shine through.

Which may be like cheating, because for me at least these moments are founded on having some of everything in that third paragraph, as well as having the money and resources to take care of my basic needs. It’s like saying my favorite part is all of it put together. Which is true in a sense, it’s the balance between work and life, adventure and a feeling of home and security, having fun with people and enjoying quiet time by myself, the wild joy of experiencing the world in all it’s wonder, and the moments of quiet self-contemplation. In the end, what I love most about RVing is that feeling of having enough, not just of money but of everything else I want too. What’s yours?

, , , , , , ,

36 Responses to My Favorite Part of RVing

1. Pleinguy February 25, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

Like you, I enjoy it all. I get a sense of peacefulness from the places I go to and experience, that I never had when in the sticks-n-bricks. The vagabond lifestyle fits me well.
    Pleinguy recently posted..PetroglyphsMy Profile

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

I think with the right amount of traveling and time to do stuff I like to do (more than the typical American job grants) I could find that same peace in a stationary lifestyle, but RVing sure makes it easier. Thanks for sharing.

2. OpenSpaceMan February 25, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

I think it all boils down to one word in my case…”Freedom”, Freedom to choose how to spend my time, where to spend my time and who to spend my time with. I have plenty of working years left but if i do it right I can do six months on six months off while I’m still healthy which is just another form of retirement. If I make it to the average male mortality rate around 80 yrs. I will have had a pretty good life. Over the next 40 yrs,, 20 of them (in 6 month chunks) I’ll have the freedom to do what I want.

*That being said I like working and have had more different types of jobs than any H.R. department will ever know…but my wavy career path will finally pay off because of the many different things I’ve done. Sorry that got a little off topic.

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:11 pm #

Thanks for sharing Space. Freedom is a good word to sum it up with. And yes, I’m a big fan of the multiple retirement scenario, it’s one I’m planning to follow too albeit in a slightly different way. Because I’m mixing paying gigs with periods of not working, I won’t be able to retire at 62 like most people, but because I’m balancing my work and play better I shouldn’t feel the need to for as long as my health holds, especially as I’m making efforts to transition my ‘work’ to stuff that doesn’t feel like work to me.

3. Eric February 25, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

For me it is traveling through time and space and opening my door to a different beautiful world every so often…not unlike Dr. Who’s tardis! Freedom.

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

Haha, the Doctor is one of my heroes Eric. Since I’m not likely to get whisked away in the Tardis, RVing is the next best thing. 😉

4. Richard February 25, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

Hi Becky,

I also like everything about RV’ing, but I do have a favorite.

The best part for me just after I have hitched up the Casita and climbed into the truck. I put the truck in gear and slowly give it gas to get rolling. As I turn out of the driveway and head someplace new, everything seems possible and it is the start of a new adventure.

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

Oooo, yeah that’s a great feeling Richard. I’m a fan of that moment too.

5. EmilyO February 25, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

I like all of the above, especially OpenSpaceMan’s response – because then I wouldn’t have to contend with WEEDS. Guess what I have been doing.

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Eww, yard work. Although I stayed at one RV park long term where I was in charge of my own weed eating around my RV.

6. Monte Stevens February 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

I have no experience with RV’ing but I have done a few extended road trips on motorcycles and my car, camping along the way. And, for me it was as you say, “it’s the moments of quiet contentment that I enjoy the most” rings true for me.
    Monte Stevens recently posted..Bright ColorsMy Profile

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:19 pm #

Eh, the part of the experience that matters most is probably about the same. I’m not sure I ever had those moments on vacations though myself, although my longest vacation was only 2 weeks. I was always dreading the return to work (I’ve never had a “real” job I truly liked).

7. Misty February 26, 2014 at 1:48 am #

Haha, it’s interesting how similar our answers were. My first reaction to this post was a mental image of the place I stayed in Vermont. I was in the middle of the national forest, so the nearest internet was a 15-20 minute drive away, and I didn’t use my electric lights because I wanted to save my battery. As a result, I spent every evening sitting on the roof of my van (I never did get around to buying folding chairs) just sort of enjoying the evening or picking at my guitar. But I think the more important aspect of all that is the feeling of contentment that accompanies that experience. I’ve rarely experienced moments of such peace.

…Now you’re making me want to go camping as soon as the weather turns! XD
    Misty recently posted..Maybe the cell phones aren’t the problemMy Profile

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Hee, sounds like a wonderful time Misty! And yeah, tent camping can be really enjoyable, as long as the weather cooperates. I recall campfires, night fishing, and snorkeling around Clear Lake on my family camping trips as a child.

8. Reine February 26, 2014 at 4:14 am #

Going to beautiful places with the man of my dreams (and he still is after 40 years) and getting to sleep in my own bed!

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

Always a good one Reine! “I may not know where I’ll be staying tonight, but at least I’ll be sleeping in my own bed.”

9. Michelle February 26, 2014 at 6:58 am #

Funny that you say that, I said that in my podcast a few episodes ago. Even when we were in a tent (which I loved) or in smaller or bigger units… It was always exactly enough. I think that is part of our “humanness” and it shows a well balanced person and life. IMO, it is a basic, natural feeling that our bodies/minds go to by instinct if we are in balance.

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

Great minds think alike Michelle, hehe. Although I’ve also heard that quote said as Great minds think for themselves, which is also true.

While I loved tent camping on vacations, I’m not sure I could do it long-term although I have given it thought before. Enjoy the road!

10. Gary February 26, 2014 at 8:21 am #

It still amazes me how strong my memories are as a young child camping with my parents and sisters. I always looked forward to the next great adventure. I never stopped camping (RVing) and still enjoy it to this day. In this high tech age, it is so refreshing to return to the basics.
    Before I got my kids into camping, we used to visit a local state park for day trips. When we started to camp at the same state park, it was like we had never been there before. You notice a lot more of your surroundings when you RV. I noticed a much more relaxed feeling knowing it was no longer day trips and enjoyed extended walks, watching a sun set, and being able to have an extended conversation with a fellow RVer instead of a quick chat. Happy Camping

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

Your tenting experience as a child mimics mine pretty closely. While vacationing RVers tend to have strict itineraries and only stay in a place for a couple days, I gotta say I love spending more time in a place and really getting to know it. Safe travels and happy trails.

11. Furry Gnome February 26, 2014 at 8:42 am #

I agree with you. It’s the overall feeling of contentment and being in balance (in retirement for me, not RVing). Having taken care of all the little nagging things that need doing helps!

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

Yeah Gnome. I always have stuff on my to-do list, but if I get “enough” of it done for one day, that leaves space for the contentment to ride in on it’s heels.

12. Overwhelmed February 26, 2014 at 9:22 am #

We haven’t started yet, but, I imagine there will be many favorite parts. It will be nice to get away from constantly seeing the same things: local traffic (people running around with short fuses getting in the way of each other), houses with green lawns while we’re in a very serious state drought and endless stores and restaurants that people can’t really afford to patronize (but still do thanks to credit cards). I won’t miss constantly being solicited for money while at traffic lights or entering markets. This may sound cold, but, I feel a bit angry when I give a ‘starving, please donate’ gentleman money outside a drugstore and then drive by the same store hours later only to see him scratching instant lottery tickets by the store entrance.

I’ve never been to Disney World and the only way it would be on my list of things to see is if it’s at the very bottom of the list after EVERY national & state park in the US & Canada! I want to see and appreciate nature’s beauty… not some overpriced manufactured fantasy.

Sure, there will likely be lots of money saved living the RV lifestyle, but, above all, I think it’s getting a break from being around the great lie. Seeing overwhelmed people around me struggling to chase something that takes so much of their lives and likely won’t make them happy.

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Overwhelmed, like you I just can’t fathom how many people in America live their lives the way they do. So much stress and running around, working themselves to death at jobs they hate just to be able to afford the new cars and big houses – definitely not for me. I feel most connected with myself when I’m in more natural environments too, and while I rarely spend money on “tourist traps” when I travel, much preferring to stick to parks, I think I will hit up Disney World at some point because the kid in me would still be awed by the fantasy and magical elements to it.

As for money saved, because I’d already realized the traditional American Dream was a lie and lived simply before hitting the road, my expenses really didn’t change much. But if you’re going to be downsizing your expenses buying less and eating in more or getting rid of a house payment, then yes you probably will save some money.

Best of luck to you!

13. David Swanson February 26, 2014 at 10:03 am #

When I look out my window at rolling hills and sunsets, I realize owning land with this view could cost $10 M in some places. I live in a used $15K motor home that $100K new and was designed to be
    the toy of a millionare. I feel weathly and prosperious living an RV life style on my SS income. I can go anywhere, anytime and dont have to answer to anyone.

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

Yep, that’s the life David. My slice of woods here in FL surrounded by beautiful live oaks in the OSBS would probably cost a pretty too, as would my beautiful vista of the Badlands last summer, or my water-front site at Elk Lake last fall. Gotta love the changing view!

14. J. Dawg February 26, 2014 at 10:41 am #

For me the favorite part of RVing is the adventure. Seeing and experiencing the unknown or unseen. I love planning the adventure and then being underway and having it unfold in front on me. Even all the small unexpected experiences. When I’m RVing I’m in the moment, not thinking about the past and worrying about the future, just in the present. People are the happiest when they’re in the present moment so I guess that’s why I enjoy RVing so much.

• Becky February 26, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

Yep, it’s a pretty awesome experience J.

15. David February 26, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

I agree with everything people have said. For me, it is the peacefulness, darkness and quiet of a park at night, or startling bright full moon. Being able to move and still be at home any time, and to engage and develop relationships with people I meet naturally is also wonderful. Very funny someone making the analogy to the Tardis. I sometimes think of my rig as a spaceship or land ship, traveling through time as the days go by. On the back, I have a little sticker saying T.A.R.D.I.S, and even a little one with U.N.I.T. on my Jeep. I have wondered if anyone gets the reference.

• Becky February 28, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

Well, at least two of us on this blog get it David.

Your comment reminds me of star watching in the Badlands, it’s a rated dark sky park and on nights when it was clear and there was no moon you could see so many stars, it was beautiful.

16. Roger February 26, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

Hi Becky,

Like some others have said, a beautiful view that would normally cost big bucks. A few days ago I took my rig to an RV park for the first time, the park site I was at was at the top of the hill overlooking the ocean in Malibu, it was a beautiful view.
    I also think it is really cool to have your home with you wherever you go.

• Becky February 28, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Yes yes yes to beautiful changing views. I still need to stay in my RV in the mountains and the desert yet, it’s been one of my goals since I started traveling, to stay in many different habitats. 🙂

17. lostAnnfound February 27, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

Spending time with family & friends, the peacefulness of sitting by the fire at night and looking up at the stars, and the knowledge that someday (after the kids are out on their own) that we can do this whenever, wherever we choose when we hit the road full-time.

• Becky February 28, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

All good things Ann! Welcome to IO and thanks for sharing.

18. Chris Johnson March 12, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

Becky just found your site and have looked around a bit and like it a lot. Will be catching up on your adventures…

“The times when it feels like, at least for a while, all aspects of your life are in balance and getting the attention they need. When the regrets of the past, the need-to-do’s of today, and the worries about the future fall away to let the beauty of the moment shine through.”

Well said and so true Becky, really enjoyed reading this one.

• Becky March 13, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

Glad you liked it Chris, and welcome to IO!