Video Catchup

video-catchupNow that I have a real internet account with the University of Florida (after a few false starts – they didn’t have a category for “stay on volunteer” until I showed up), I can down and upload things at will.

The WiFi here is so much faster than at the various campgrounds I’ve stayed at so far, maybe because I’m the only one on it in the evenings after all the regular employees have gone home. I may have to drive 20+ minutes to get to it, but at least it works really well. I’ve been meaning to get more of the videos I’ve taken on my travels up and this seems like a great opportunity to do it.

So if you look at the Videos page, you’ll notice two shiny new play lists for your viewing pleasure, both taken during my first month as a full-timer before I got to Amazon. I’m going to keep uploading them in chronological order tonight, I may get one or two more up before bed. With luck, perhaps I can get everything up in the next month and a half while I’m here and, gasp, upload videos as I take them after that.

I hope you all have a good weekend, it’s looking to be a good one for me. I’m finally going to get a chance to explore more of Florida. Julie is coming down for a visit and we’ll be heading to Gainesville to check out the sights. I really want to get to the clear water springs that this part of Florida is famous for but they’re all a bit far away for this trip, it will definitely happen before I leave though.

, , , ,

8 Responses to Video Catchup

1. Pleinguy February 13, 2014 at 10:08 pm #

A couple of places of interest in Gainesville would be Lake Alice and the Bat House and Gardens on the Univ of FL campus. Also, Kanapaha Botanical Gardens southwest of town. I’ll email you directions.
    Pleinguy recently posted..FrenchyMy Profile

• Becky February 14, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

Got the e-mail David, thanks!

2. PamP February 14, 2014 at 8:49 am #

There are a lot of springs just west of Gainesville along highway 26. Otter spgs, Ginnie Spgs, Hart Spgs & many more. Just west of Ocalla you can find Crystal river. Aptly named – the water is clear as glass with a white sand bottom. It amazed me since I was accustomed to the tannin stained waters of the Suwanee, Peace, & Myakka rivers. Also in that area is Rainbow Springs State Park. The springs bubble up thru white sand lookong like boiling water.

• Becky February 14, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

Yeah I’ve heard of most of these in my research of the area, sadly the ones just west of Gainesville are still about an hour away since I’m east of town about a half hour. Like you, I’m not use to clear water so I think I’ll really enjoy it when I get the chance to visit one. 🙂 Thanks for the additional info!

3. PamelaP February 14, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

I don’t know if it is still around but Weeki Wachee Springs mermaids have been one of my favorite Florida attractions since I was a kid (we moved to FL when I was 5 – visited here many times). Worth seeing – and the park at over 500 acres is beautiful as well. Here I found this:

Welcome to Weeki Wachee Springs State Park

The mermaids at Weeki Wachee Springs have delighted visitors since 1947. Today, visitors can still witness the magic of the mermaids, take a river boat cruise and canoe or kayak on the Weeki Wachee River. The 538-acre park features a first magnitude spring and a 400-seat submerged theatre for watching the live mermaid show

There are so many thing to see & do in Florida – I know you’ll have a blast!

Safe travels…..

4. Becky February 14, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

Thanks for the info Pamela, I hadn’t heard about the mermaids at that park. A couple renaissance festivals that I’ve gone to have had mermaid displays, the tails really amazed me with how realistic they looked. I went online and found a company that specializes in mermaid tails for shows and events like this and they start at $250 and go up from there, yikes! Worth it though for the quality I suppose.

Hope you’re staying warm up there in Seattle, or down in Quartzsite if you’re still there for the show.

5. Lacy February 17, 2014 at 8:00 am #

Those videos were interesting. I always enjoy ‘seeing’ how others live in an RV – it’s like one big adventure! Thanks for sharing thru your blog, I enjoy it!

• Becky February 18, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

Glad you liked it Lacy. It’s partly for me too, to be able to go back and relive those moments is a pretty special thing. 🙂