Status Report

status-updateNothing too blog worthy to report this weekend. I went up to Charleston with Julie to visit friends who I haven’t seen in a year. It’s so lovely to get to travel back to places I’ve been before and catch up with people. Goodbyes can be tough, but when the next Hello comes there’s always plenty to talk about.

The weather has been wet at times, still generally cooler than what Florida has seen the past few years but a heck of a lot warmer than other parts of the country so it’s hard to complain. Last Wednesday it got up to 80, first time I’ve seen temperatures that warm in February in my life.

My volunteer gig is going well, and I’m using the extra time saved by not having a second gig to work on that RVing eguide that’s been in progress for over a year now. The first edited draft is finished and has been reviewed, now for some more writing and changes for draft two. There’ll be more about it as I get closer to completion.

There’s also planning for later this year in progress. It looks like I’ll be staying at the campground located on the festival grounds once OSBS gets done and I head up to Atlanta. There’s also a better than 50% chance I’d say right now that I’ll be doing the Fernley Amazon site this year. Yes, getting out west, finally.

Other than that, life is good.

Amazon earnings for January totaled $234.29. As always, a big thank you to everyone who uses my affiliate linkto do their shopping with Amazon. I never imagined when I started writing IO that someday I’d be making money from it without even having a product to sell. Your thoughtfulness warms my heart and does make a difference in my bottom line. And if you don’t do online shopping, no hard feelings. Every person who refers my blog to a friend, mentions it on a forum, or comments on my posts makes a difference, and I appreciate every one of you!

21 Responses to Status Report

1. Old Fat Man February 9, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

“Making money without a product to sell” Not hardly, your JOYFUL blog is a wonderful product and brings happiness into my life. Be safe and have fun.
    Old Fat Man recently posted..No Matter How You Cut ItMy Profile

• Becky February 11, 2014 at 11:59 am #

Glad you enjoy it. 🙂

2. Ron February 10, 2014 at 12:25 am #

Great post.
    We had friends work Fernley Amazon this season, be aware that it can get bitterly cold there too. Hopefully you can find something in southern AZ or CA after Fernley. If not there are usually many workkamper jobs in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Most are just for free sites and utilities but our winter population swells by about 160,000 people so many paying businesses need extra winter help. PS Great Blogworthy post. Ron

• Becky February 11, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

Yeah, in one of my first Amazon related posts I compared average temperatures for the three sites that took RVers. Fernley had the coldest nights in December by an average of 2 degrees. I’ll make sure I stay in a park that has shower and toilet facilities and if it gets cold like it did this past winter I’ll probably just winterize like I did the first year and live out of it dry.

What I do after Fernley depends on a few factors, it’s not all set in stone yet. Glad you liked the post Ron.

3. ibrich February 10, 2014 at 8:50 am #

Hi Becky, I started following you after searching ways to winterize RVs. Last summer I got a 1988 Toyota Escaper and I’m still learning the ropes. It is very quirky. I named him Emerson after Ralph Waldo who I had just discovered his amazing essays.

We live in Portland, Oregon, actually Vancouver, WA. And some day might venture out east.
    If you go to Fernly consider stopping in at Saguaro man festival in Snowflake, AZ. I haven’t been but frequent some of the other Burning man festivals. They can be amazing eye opening experiences with no commercialism and lots of open hearted people.

We may go. It is the end of March. We likely won’t take Emerson cause we only have 3 weeks and he is a little slow, esp on the hills. Were still working stationary and fine with it for now. You keep giving me ideas and options for an earlier retirement. We’ll see.
    Yours is the first blog I’ve ever followed or commented on. It is fun to read, and I look forward to new post and adventures.

• Becky February 11, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Hello Rich, welcome to IO and I’m glad to have you here.

One of my coworkers out at the Badlands last summer had a little Class C built on a Toyota chassis, it was also built in the 80’s. Cute little thing, but he also mentioned that hills and such could be a problem, I think the engine was only 4 cylinders.

If I wrote them all down, I’d have a list about a mile long of things to see out west, it just sounds like there are so many neat things out there. What I end up being able to do will depend on how much money I have at that point and a couple other factors that I haven’t let on about yet because they’re still in the works. Thanks though for one more unique suggestion. I have a friend who goes to Burning Man on a pretty regular basis and he raves about it.

4. Kirsty Halliday February 10, 2014 at 10:29 am #

After Fernley, I sauntered south to Quartzsite and met up with lots of my new Amazon besties! There was an annual Casita rally here this weekend with almost 80 Casitas on BLM land….they were adorable! You’d love it…AND the weather!,

• Becky February 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

Yeah, I’ve been wanting to get to Quartzsite for years. And that’s likely where I’d head after Fernley, but as always my plans are set in jello, not stone. 🙂 Glad you’re enjoying it!

5. Marvin February 10, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

Becky ,

The run to Fernley is about 2,700 miles – I could easily spend two to three weeks on that adventure . I would guess that Quartzsite , AZ would be one of the stops on your southwest tour . It would also be the perfect place to polish the E-book . I would contact Pamela and inquire about a position in their booth at the big tent show – a multi-season Camperforce member with a great website would be a valuable PR / HR tool .

Be Safe

• Becky February 11, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

That’s what has kept me from heading out west so far Marvin. 1,700 miles to get to the Badlands was a long drive, but doable with the circumstances I was in. 2,700 sounds impossibly far to drive in one go, but I probably can’t take 3 weeks to sight-see as I travel out there because I’d be worried about spending too much money with none coming in. Tentatively, after the festival gets done in June I’d perhaps go drive up to Wisconsin and visit my parents before heading out west (because once I get out there, I won’t be making the long drive back east anytime soon) and then taking a job for the rest of the summer somewhere between the two locations which would effectively break the drive and half and make it more manageable. Like above it’s all jello, who knows how it’ll work out.

And as I said to Kirsty, Quartzsite has been on my list since I got on the road. That likely is where I’ll end up after Fernley.

6. Dustin February 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm #

Was that for just the month? Or all of 2013? Also your product is your intellectual knowledge!

• Becky February 14, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

That number was for January Dustin, and yes I suppose you could look at it like that. 🙂

7. Jr cline February 10, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

I’ll be at the festival in Atlanta a couple of weekends this season. It’s one of my favorite regional photo ops. I’m going once on my own and another time with a photo group.

• Becky February 11, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

Oooo, fun Cline. It is a really neat place for photos, when I would go as a patron I’d take lots of pictures at the different ones I visited. Julie and I will be street performers, keep an eye out for us. 😉

• jr cline February 15, 2014 at 5:48 pm #

I’ll keep my eyes and lens open. Maybe I’ll take pictures of you two.
        jr cline recently posted..Fotog Play v1.1My Profile

8. Furry Gnome February 10, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

Becky, it’s always blog worthy to hear from you!

• Becky February 11, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

Hehe, glad to hear that Gnome. I sometimes lament that I don’t get to spend as much time traveling and doing interesting travelogue style posts about the places I’m visiting the way RVers who don’t need to work can do. But I still get to move more often than the average gal, and I like teaching and showing people that you don’t need to be sitting on a mountain of money or owning an online business to go RVing. Still wouldn’t trade this life for the stationary one I lived before!

9. Joanne February 12, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Amazon is building fulfillment centers in Ruskin (near Tampa) and Lakeland (both in Florida). Not sure when they’ll be open though.

• Becky February 14, 2014 at 10:13 pm #

Yeah they’re doing a lot of building right now, something like 14 new facilities a year. I doubt the ones in FL will be opened to CamperForce though, it’s in a high enough population area where they’ll be able to find the workers they need locally.

10. Roger February 13, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

Hi Becky,
    Great info as usual. I am so jazzed, everything coming together
    My car is getting a baseplate put on today, on the way there Amazon called. Had a phone interview, they offered me a positition for Fernley… Yay!!
    Have a great day.

• Becky February 14, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

Congrats Roger! Maybe I’ll see you out there as I’m thinking of doing Fernley this year. It sounds like your rig will be ready to go when you are.