All About My Casita

all-about-my-casita1It’s getting close to two years now since I drove down to Tampa and picked up my Casita, and it occurs to me that in all that time I’ve been writing and Cas still has never gotten a blog post all to himself. Time to fix that I think, especially because I get e-mails asking for me more information about my diminutive travel trailer on a pretty regular basis.

If you’re been to my Rig page, then you already know that my Casita is a 17′ Spirit Deluxe. The Spirit layout has two dinettes can can convert into beds. I keep the larger four person dinette that occupies the rear of the trailer down as a bed all of the time, the back rest cushions for the dinette combine with the seat cushions to make a mattress. It takes Full sized sheets, but is not a standard Full, it’s about 2 inches shorter and about 1 inch wider, with the two corners facing the outside of the trailer rounded off. At almost 5’6″, I can stretch out fully in bed without an issue. My best friend Julie who lived in it with me for a while is almost 5’8″ and she can’t quite fully stretch out in it without laying a bit diagonally, which is fine if it’s just one person in bed.

all-about-my-casita2One modification that taller people with Casitas can do is make some sort of movable wooden brace to extend the bed out into the little hallway, then use the cushions from the smaller dinette to effectively extend the mattress and sleep with their heads at the back of the trailer instead of either side. If you look at the pictures of mine you’ll notice that the wooden divider that separates the smaller dinette from the larger one has been removed, that’s because the previous owners had done this modification.

The smaller two person dinette makes a bed that a child can sleep in comfortably. That doesn’t mean an adult can’t fit, Julie and I rotated who had which bed when the two of us were staying in it. We could both manage it, but neither of us found it very comfortable. Traveling alone I keep this one as a dinette full time. The Spirit offers the most storage space, because the side dinette seats have storage room underneath which you don’t get with the other two models.

all-about-my-casita3To the left of the small dinette, the kitchen. The fridge is larger than a mini-fridge, but definitely not full sized. Still, it’s more than big enough for me. One important thing to remember with RV fridges, you need to adjust the temperature in them as the temperature outdoors changes. In South Carolina in the middle of summer, I kept the dial on 4.5 to 5 most of the time. In Kansas last month, I could keep it on 1.5 to 2. If it gets too cold, even if the fridge part doesn’t freeze the freezer will accumulate ice and need defrosting more frequently. If you’re having trouble keeping things evenly cooled in the fridge, you can pick up a little battery operated fan to circulate the air.

Above the fridge is the cubby where the microwave lives. Mine’s old, it might even be the original. I keep secretly hoping it’ll die so I can replace it with a convection oven, but no such luck so far. The big storage space above that is where I keep pots and pans.

Next to that is the sink, two burner stove, and more storage. If you opt for a furnace, the furnace will go in the cabinet under the sink and oven. I don’t have one, and I’m happier with more storage RV furnaces are not very efficient and use quite a bit of propane, they’re also pretty noisy. As I found out from experience last month, if you pick up two $20 ceramic heaters from Wal-Mart, you’ll be just fine in a Casita until you get into the single digits. I am eventually going to get a propane heater installed, but it’ll probably mount on the wall or in the cabinet under one of my small dinette seats.

all-about-my-casita4The vast majority of 16 and 17 foot Casitas out there are going to be Deluxe models. Deluxe means they have the marine style bathroom up front, which puts the toilet and shower together inside a small water proof room. As a full-timer, having a bathroom in my RV is a mandatory thing. Deluxes also have a slightly different mold for the top of the trailer that gives 4″ more height in the aisle, the 17′ is taller than than the 16′ the ceiling should be at 6′ 1 and ½ inches but I’ve never actually measured it. Instead of a bathroom, Standard models have a couch or bunk bed.

The Freedom model has the same layout as the Spirit, but instead of the small side dinette has two swiveling captain’s chairs at the small table. The chairs are more comfortable, but offer no storage. The Liberty is set up up differently. The large dinette and small dinette are both at the back, and can be set up to give a very large dinette, a full size bed and a small dinette, or a king size bed. The kitchen is split with the fridge and microwave on one side and the sink and stove on the other.

The other less talked about Casita is the 13′ Patriot. This one can have a bathroom in it as well, but I’m less familiar with it.

all-about-my-casita5As for tanks. I’m not entirely sure if the specs are the same on the older Casitas, but the newer 17′ Deluxes have16 gallon fresh water tanks, there is an option for a 25 gallon water tank. The black tank is 15 gallons and the gray is 32 gallons. I usually have to dump at about one to one and a half weeks. Since I don’t shower in my RV (my hot water heater needs replacing), it’s the black tank that needs dumping first. If I needed to stretch my water for boondocking/dry camping, I could probably go two weeks, and for me that would be plenty long enough because most BLM spots require you to move every 14 days anyhow.

Casitas come with two 20# propane tanks mounted on the tongue, but mine was modified to only carry one. They also come with one 12v battery, and cannot handle another without some modifications, which I’ve known several people who’ve done. Mine also has a full-sized spare tire mounted on the back of the trailer, which was optional at the time but is standard now. Casitas are a single axle RV.

But enough about all of the hard facts which you can find out all about by visiting the Casita web page. Here are the reasons I chose a Casita over another type of RV:

all-about-my-casita6With a GVWR (max weight) at 3,500 lbs, and at 6’8″ wide instead of the standard 8 feet of most travel trailers, it’s easy to tow. My recommendations: You’ll want a vehicle with a tow rating of 5,000 for a 16 or 17′ Casita. It’s easy to get over 3,500 lbs fully loaded up, and all vehicle tow ratings are calculated on having an empty vehicle. If you’re on vacation or living in one, you’re going to have other stuff loaded in the vehicle. That being said, there are still trucks and SUVs with V6 engines (and thus better gas mileage than their full-sized counterparts) that have a tow capacity of 5,000. My still mid-sized Dodge Dakota is a step up from that with a 4.7 L V8 and a tow rating of 6,500, and it can take Cas up and down steep grades and pass semis on windy days and you’d hardly know it’s there.

Decent gas mileage, which comes with the lighter weight and slimmer profile. On flat ground with no headwind while highway driving I get about 15 mpg, not bad for carrying all my worldly possessions and towing with a 13 year old truck. It can get as poor as 10 mpg with a strong headwind in hilly country, on those days you find a campground and hunker down until the wind goes away – one of the advantages of pulling your house around with you.

all-about-my-casita7Windows windows windows. The Spirit and Freedom have four windows in the living area, two large and two smaller. The Liberty has three large windows. More windows makes the little trailer seem larger, and even on rainy days gives you a good view of the outdoors. I’m particularly fond of the large rear window, and I choose campsites based on what kind of view I’ll get from the rear since often there will be other RVers parked beside you to block the view.

Reduced chance of leaks. Casitas are molded fiberglass trailers, in the same category as Scamps and Escapes. These kind of trailers are made not with four walls, a roof and a floor, but with just 2 large molded pieces of fiberglass, a top and a bottom, which are welded in the middle. With no roof seams, that means roof leaks are much less likely to happen. The cabinetry that runs along the ceiling of Casitas and Scamps (and probably Escapes too, although I’ve never been in one) are riveted into place, and these rivets can leak and pop, but that’s still a lot less entry points for water than in a standard stick built travel trailer.

Durability and resale value. Leaks are the number one killer of RVs, and most RVs will lose 50% of their value by the time they are five years old, not so Casitas which are leak resistant and have no wood in the ceiling or walls to rot. At 15 years old, my Casita is still standing up to the rigors of full-time travel and taking it in stride. It’s unique styling means that even though it’s getting old it doesn’t look dated. In addition to these other reasons, because Casitas are only made to order and not mass-produced, they’re in demand second hand, which means that if, heaven forbid, you ever need to sell your Casita it’ll fetch a much better price than a similarly aged trailer of more standard construction.

Cost. I had a budget of $9,000 for my RV when I went full-timing, so I knew I was going to need something not too expensive, but also something that would hold up to being lived in. Cas fit the bill perfectly, and almost two years later I have no regrets. He cost me $8,995 when I bought him in March of 2012 at 13 years old. A brand new Casita with all of the bells and whistles still costs under $25,000 I’m pretty sure, which for a new RV that’ll last as long as this is a pretty good deal if you have that kind of money.

Community. The first travel trailer I looked at was the Keystone Outback, the 18′ long one had a queen bed in a rear slide that gave a lot more room, but the community forums I found had a lot of negative threads on it, which let me know that I’d probably be spending more money on keeping it travel worthy. When I found the Casita online communities later, there was a lot more positive comments, it was a group of people celebrating the trailer instead of a support group trying to talk each other into believing they had the right RV. The atmosphere was much brighter and upbeat, there was a lot of planning of rallies and true friendships that had sprung up on the forums and that went a long ways to ease my mind about the quality and gave me the courage to pull the trigger and buy one.

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

, , , , ,

58 Responses to All About My Casita

1. Rob February 2, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

If you really want to replace your microwave you ought to just do it. No reason to live with something your not 100% happy with unless there is a good reason. You only live once!
    Just make sure the new one will fit in the hole…
    Rob recently posted..HamburgersMy Profile

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:14 pm #

Well Rob my nomadic life toes a pretty narrow line. I spend my money on experiences over possessions, that’s how I can afford to do this on less than $20,000 a year. That means I can’t just splurge on something I want to replace but don’t need to, if I did too much of that I wouldn’t be able to afford the gas to travel, or the money to pay for more important things.

• Rob February 5, 2014 at 5:51 pm #

I understand about budgets & there being only so many dollars to go around. I do also realize that the meaning of the word “important” is different for all of us….

“More important things”… how often do you use that microwave that you’d replace with something that you’d rather have if it was broken? Would that improve your day to day life?
        It’s a rhetorical question…

Enjoy the rest of your winter!
        Rob recently posted..HamburgersMy Profile

• Becky February 6, 2014 at 10:59 pm #

Yes there is no clear answer. Or rather, everyone’s answer is going to be different. 🙂

Right now I do use the microwave on a pretty regular basis, I buy frozen mini microwave pizzas and pot pies and have those for dinners. Then I think how nice it would be to have “real” pizzas. Someday.

Enjoy the rest of yours too Rob!

2. Pleinguy February 2, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

Nice overview of your Casita. That model was on my short list. I liked the options of the small and large dinette or bed. And, as you said, the small size and weight permits a smaller truck to tow it. Quality construction too. You made a good choice. I ended up going with a small class C instead; and, it has worked for me.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Pancho VillaMy Profile

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:17 pm #

Tardis is a fantastic Class C, also a good brand and quality construction. You made an a good choice too Plein. That’s probably what I would have gone for if I had decided to go that route rather than the truck and trailer.

3. jinny February 2, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Great article. Been a long time reader. How do you stabilize the trailer when you’re unhitched and walking around inside?

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:25 pm #

Previous owner installed stabilizer jacks on the back corners of the trailer, an older swing down and then jack out kind that don’t work as well as the “scissors” kind in my opinion but they get the job done when there is more than one person in the trailer. Most of the time though I don’t use any stabilizers at all, I don’t notice the trailer rocking when I’m the one walking around and there’s no one else in there for me to bother. 😛

4. Barb L. February 3, 2014 at 9:33 am #

Thanks for the great visit to your rig. Especially appreciate the details on your truck. With the camper cap, it looks like it gives you additional storage as well as the option of occasional truck camping. How much do you store in it?
    Cas looks like a cozy home and very manageable for a solo.

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:29 pm #

Quite a bit Barb, but it’s not very well organized – that’s a long term goal I’m working on.

6′ ladder, fiberglass wax, hitch, walking stick, hitching rods, laundry basket, wheel covers, welcome mat, poles for the back dinette, level blocks and chocks, bucket, RV wash brush with long handle, all unused water hoses of varying lengths, tub for sewer hose gear, and more stuff that I can’t think of off the top of my head.

5. Cindie B February 3, 2014 at 10:21 am #

Love the tour of Cas. You really hit the nail on the head about the roof leaks. Our Class C is in remarkable shape, but we have a small leak problem that continually plaques us, especially during our Florida rainy season. No permanent damage, just pain in the neck cleanup! Enjoying your blog…

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

Glad you liked it Cindie. I’ve had a couple leaks in Cas since I’ve gotten him, but I’ve caught them pretty much the first time they start leaking because the water comes in around the rivet – there’s no doubt as to it’s origin. Every month or so when we get a heavy rain I’ll do a quick check of all the rivets to make sure they’re dry, haven’t had one in almost a year now. Every spring I get up on the roof of the Casita and change out and re-caulk all rivet caps that are starting to break or look questionable.

6. Dave February 3, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Cool tour of Cas! I like how the bed can stay set up as a bed, and you still have a table available. Converting furniture every morning and night is a chore. Are you thinking of adding a kayak and/or bicycle to your rig?

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:34 pm #

I’ve thought about it Dave, I like both activities. Right now though I have no concrete plans.

7. Roger in SoCal. February 3, 2014 at 10:34 am #

Hi Becky,

Great tour of Cas, I have seen the Casitas for years and always liked them. My budget would not let me get a truck as I already had a small Honda SUV that I could tow 4 wheels down, so I went with a small class A 16 years old.

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

I totally get that Roger. I had a Honda Civic that I loved very much before Bertha. If it had been towable without all four wheels off the ground I probably would have considered a motorhome instead. As it was, since I knew I had to get rid of it either way I traded it in to afford the truck.

• Eric Sabety June 1, 2014 at 5:28 pm #

I live full time in my 17 foot Casita and I tow it with an Acura RSX which is basically a Honda civic. No problems with hills. I got 26 mpg average from Phoenix to Barstow Ca, for example. I did put on a trailer brake controller.

• Becky June 3, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

Eric, my Civic would not have been able to, really. I tried looking the 2006 Acura RSX up on but wasn’t able to find the specs for towing, I’m guessing it has more power under the hood.

Mine had a tow rating of 1,000 lbs max, my Casita weighs more than twice that….empty. Not to mention not having the right kind of hitch receiver, no electric plug for the lights, brakes, etc, no transmission cooler. I’m glad your RSX works for it though, that’s a nice mpg. Enjoy.

8. Reine February 3, 2014 at 11:06 am #

Good to see the pictures. Just a comment for folks reading. Newer 17′ Casitas have the air conditioner on the roof instead of under the front closet like Becky’s. This makes the closet bigger. Also the shelves in the closet were added by the previous owner. The Casita comes with a closet rod. Some of us who own Casitas have modified the closet to have shelves on the side and some hanging room, full shelves like Becky’s or left the closet as it is. Other folks have modified the side dinette so it’s a bit wider when used as a bed. That’s one of the fun things about going to a Casita rally. Looking at everyone’s Casita and seeing how they have used and modified the space.

We’ve seen Cas and Bertha and it’s amazing how LITTLE Becky keeps in Bertha. This girl travels light and enjoys the lifestyle instead of worrying about things.

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

Good points Reine!

As for traveling light – when Larry weighed the tongue it was 420 pounds…with only one propane tank. I haven’t had the opportunity to weight the whole thing yet but I have a feeling I’m over 3,500 based on tongue weight. I don’t travel all that light, I just have a spot for everything in my storage compartments.

9. Anita February 3, 2014 at 11:53 am #

thanks for sharing. interesting perspective.

If I were alone this would be a choice to consider. add another person and I think it would be too small. heh heh heh . . sometimes our 40′ it too small.

I like that you can have two dining areas. if we want company for dinner we either eat outside or at the community building (when there is one.) and make it a potluck.

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:50 pm #

How much space is necessary is such a relative thing. Cherie and Chris over at full-timed in a 16′ teardrop and then a 17′ fiberglass trailer with the same layout as mine for around two years years, or maybe even longer. I lived in my Casita with my best friend and her cat for three months, but by the end I was getting a little tired of it. It all depends on an individual’s needs, but I’ll admit that most couples will want more space than this for full-time travel.

And yes, when your home is this small it’s important to realize that your living space includes your porch and backyard too. If you follow good weather north in the summer and south in the winter, these spaces can be utilized all year round as long as it’s not raining to entertain guests or keep cabin fever from setting in.

10. Richard Myers February 3, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the tour! I have a 1995 16 foot LD modified by a previous owner to be more like an FD. A great trailer, but having been in a 17 foot Casita, I am amazed at how much roomier they seem than 16 ft. Plus the tanks on the 17 allow for better dry camping.

And yes, the fiberglass egg crowd is a very enthusiastic and informative bunch Try to make a rally sometime.

Safe travels!

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:52 pm #

Hello Rick,

I’ve never been inside a 16′ of any layout, I would be curious to peek inside one sometime to see how much a difference that extra foot really makes. I wouldn’t put too much importance in my pictures, because it can be so hard to get a sense of scale just from pictures.

And yes, some day I will make a Casita rally, they sound like a lot of fun.

11. David Swanson February 3, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

Nice rig Becky, good choice. Even without the fireplace :).
    Ive had to fix my water heater seveal times. Its not as hard as it looks. Id trust a salvaged one if it was cheap enough, but even the new ones are not that expensive or difficult to install.
    Whats the problem with your’s?

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:59 pm #

Meh, fireplace would take up too much space, doesn’t have enough utility. 😉

And I can’t remember exactly what it was, gas valve maybe? The part is $200 and would require about that in labor since it requires dismantling most of the water heater to get at, and then I need to think that the old one is 15 years old and the tank itself probably isn’t in great shape and could rust through at any time. Buying a new one of the same model I have is $730, or $780 if I want the electric starter. Since I never shower in my RV though preferring the larger hot water capacity and more space in the facilities at the campgrounds I stay in it’s really not a problem right now. If I need hot water to wash dishes or something I can heat water on my stove.

• Eric Sabety June 1, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Just boil water and take a sponge bath. The water heater and the gas heater are ridiculous. In summer use a black plastic bag to heat the water……if you want a shower.

• Becky June 3, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

Yeah I guess I’m a girl in that way, I take a real shower over a sponge bath whenever possible. 😉 I know that is an option though if I ever get in a bind.

12. Furry Gnome February 3, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

Nice detailed look at your house! Thanks.

• Becky February 3, 2014 at 11:59 pm #

You’re welcome Gnome.

13. David Greybeard February 4, 2014 at 9:36 pm #

Thanks for the tour. I think you made a great choice. I applaud your cautious approach to replacing your microwave. Making lower-impact lifestyle choices is one of the more noble aspects of the nomad experience. Of course we should replace broken and worn out tools with better more efficient ones. But we should weigh those decisions mindfully.

• Becky February 5, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it David. I enjoy showing off my little house. :3

14. LenSatic February 5, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

A little info, in case you didn’t know, the larger rear window was so Casita could install the larger refrigerator. So, it was a win/win for us owners! Well, until we have to replace the refrigerator. 😉

• Becky February 5, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

Actually Len that’s just on the newer Casitas, I forget which year they started doing that. My side and rear window are the same size, larger than the other two, but still too small for the fridge to fit through. On mine the fridge was built into the trailer when it was made, and there is no way to get it out without cutting a larger hole somewhere (I confirmed it with Larry at LHC). So I need to hope my fridge never dies. 😉

• LenSatic February 5, 2014 at 10:24 pm #

Hey, you’ll get an even bigger rear window! 🙂

• Becky February 6, 2014 at 11:00 pm #

Haha, that’s one way to look at it.

15. Paul LeBoutillier February 5, 2014 at 11:37 pm #

Wow!!! That article got a lot of feedback!! Thanks for letting us all step inside and look around. We RVers LOVE talking about our rigs. 🙂

• Becky February 6, 2014 at 11:01 pm #

You’re welcome Paul. And there’s still more I could have put in there but it was already getting long!

16. sarah sky February 5, 2014 at 11:40 pm #

I finally finished reading all of your blog today! Whew! What an adventure.
    3 things:
    1. have you ever looked at these:

2. I know ovens are awesome, but I love my microwave for a couple of reasons: Put a bunch of rice in a cloth bag, sew it up, nuke it for 2 and a 1/2 minutes, put it in your bed before sleep. I know your a northern gal, but i grew up in florida around where you are, and it gets damp. Its nice to have that warmth. It is so cozy.

3. A microwave cookie. Incredible addictive, but totally awesome.

Congrats on the Ren faire, there is also one in ft. lauderdale happening soon. Check it out

17. Becky February 6, 2014 at 11:05 pm #

1. Nope I haven’t! Interesting, would make my already small shower even smaller. But a lot cheaper.

2. Sounds cozy. When it gets chilly my convection heaters dry the air out, which is nice. As long as it’s cool enough to turn them on. 😛 If I stay in the Southeast again when it’s hot and humid I’ll need to invest in a dehumidifier.

3. Yum!

Congrats on finishing the whole blog, I bet it takes quite a while now as this was post number….186? I number them all in my writing program. And that looks like a nice faire, we’ll see if I get a weekend off again between now and June to visit, haha.

• Dustin Grace February 7, 2014 at 10:51 pm #

It took me close to a month to read everything. I finished it around the first of the year!

• Becky February 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Quite an impressive feat Dustin! Congrats, haha.

18. travelfables February 7, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

Thanks for the look inside your rig. I love your little Casita. The light weight aspect is very appealing to me. — Dale

• Becky January 26, 2015 at 10:54 am #

You’re welcome Dale, good luck whatever you choose.

19. Tina February 9, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

Hi Becky,

Great write up on your Casita. I do like the layout of yours and how you just leave the bed setup. It’s nice to have to truck to store things and use to explore. I go back and forth between a setup like yours and a van. Looks like you will have a great few months, congrats on the Ren Faire!

• Becky February 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Yeah, full time bed is so much less hassle Tina, I really like it. And thanks! I will enjoy it.

20. Sergio May 9, 2014 at 1:34 pm #

Hi, Thanks for letting us all step inside and look around… but we would have liked images with more definition, if clic on the get a bigger picture.

Actual size is only 300×225

• Becky May 12, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

Hey Sergio and welcome to IO. Sadly my WordPress theme does not allow pictures to be imbedded with different sizes like that, maybe with a future upgrade.

21. Darlene January 25, 2015 at 6:10 pm #

Great info!!! I am just starting the process of doing my research before purchasing a travel trailer. I just retired and looking forward to hitting the road soon. You provided answers to many of my questions and more points to be aware of. That’s awesome. I found the link to your website on the casita forum.

• Becky January 26, 2015 at 1:24 pm #

Hello Darlene and welcome to IO! I’m glad you’ve found this post helpful.

Cas turned 16 this year, and is still holding up well. Casitas really do make great little homes that’ll give you a lot of years of good use if you take care of them. 🙂

Congrats on your retirement, and whichever RV you end up choosing, I bet you’ll have a blast on the road. If you have any specific questions about Casitas, feel free to drop me an e-mail.

22. John April 12, 2016 at 5:14 am #

I’ve been inspired by your blog for a few months now Becky – thank you!
    A few questions about the Casita and boondocking: I’m 6’2″; would the bed in the spirit accommodate me comfortably? Is the shower claustrophobic or roomy? When you’re boondocking, are you able to stock up on food that will get you through a two week stint or do you have to go shopping weekly?
    Are there any/many free blackwater dump sites or do you have to pay for camping everytime you want to refresh/restock water?
    Keep up the good work Becky.

• Becky April 12, 2016 at 10:48 pm #

At 6’2″ you’d be too long for the bed, too tall for the shower, and might not be able to stand up in the isle either, I think it’s 6’1″ but you can check Casita’s website for all the measurements.
      I do major shopping every 2 weeks, but usually about a week in I’ll run low on something, this is something that varies person to person depending on how coordinated you are and what you like to eat.
      Most but not all dump/water stations charge a fee. At Quartzsite $9 filled your fresh tank and emptied your other tanks, costs vary. If you pay for camping for one night you get to dump and fill and charge all your gadgets and get a long shower, etc. too so it’s often worth it.

23. Shelia Shafer July 10, 2016 at 4:24 pm #

Thanks for sharing your home. It’s so nice to see a “real” home, with stuff in it, the way people live. I’m hoping to get a 16′ Freedom deluxe when I retire next year. I’ve never traveled anywhere and I want to see the lower 48 before I die. I am stuck with a Honda Odyssey with a tow limit of 3500 lbs. I am a low maintenance woman and pack very light. I would be fine just in the van, but I have three small dogs and can’t leave them in the van when I sightsee. I feel confident I could pull a lightly packed Casita but then read this and I’m not sure. I do have a couple of questions. How comfy are the chairs? I sleep sitting up half the time and wonder if I could do it in the chair. Also, how wide is the bathroom? Could a queen size person use it? Thanks again.

• Becky July 10, 2016 at 7:47 pm #

You’re welcome Shelia, glad you found this helpful!

I follow the “75%” rule when it comes to full-time towing. Which is the loaded weight of the trailer should be 75% or less of the vehicle’s max tow rating. Three reasons for this: 1. the max tow rating assumes the tow vehicle will be empty, which it definitely won’t if you’re full-timing. 2. Reduces wear and tear on the tow vehicle, since as a full-timer you’ll be towing a lot more than the average vacationer pulling an RV. 3. Margin of safety, it’s good to have a cushion for towing in less-than-ideal situations such as in mountainous areas or in high winds. Since I know my Casita is near or at 3,500 lbs loaded, I wouldn’t think of towing with something like your Odyssey, but if you really do pack light you may be able to get away with it as I believe the dry weight of a 16 footer is somewhere around 1,700 lbs. Definitely get your Freedom weighed after you load it up to see how much it weighs.

Second, My Spirit has the bench seating, not the captains chars of the Freedom so I really couldn’t tell you. I find my bench chairs comfy enough for me, but I am younger and have a higher tolerance for discomfort that most retirement-aged folks. I’d contact Casita about finding someone with a Freedom in your area and ask if you can try their chairs, haha.

Good luck!

• LenSatic July 10, 2016 at 8:48 pm #

I may be of help here. I’ve been in several Freedoms and the chairs are comfortable for sitting at the dinette, but you’d not be able to sleep in them. Plus, you’d lose a lot of storage space! I have taken naps in our Spirit Deluxe at the dinette, but my wife made custom cushions.

• Becky July 11, 2016 at 6:48 pm #

Thanks for sharing Len.

24. Robbie August 6, 2016 at 10:17 am #

Thanks Awesome Becky! I have a 16Ft. Fun Finder. I’ve stopped using the Water Heater completely. I shower in the trailer bathroom with a slightly modified 1gal bug sprayer. (new unused of course) One Cold water Whistling Tea Kettle full of water to one boiling Tea Kettle full mixed in the Sprayer works really well for me. I wash one limb at a time and get a nice long rinse. Have to have the trailer warm though. Now the Water Heater just is used as a Pressure Tank for the Trailer Water System. A waste of space and weight really. I love your Casita. I’m looking for a 13Ft. with bath for my wanderings when I’m without my DW. Who could be happier than an Old Guy with two Trailers?

• Becky August 9, 2016 at 8:55 pm #

You’re welcome Robbie!

A good friend of mine traveled in a Fun Finder of about that size for a while, she had a blast. I still don’t use my shower or water heater either, I just like to keep things simple. I’ve heard of that bug sprayer trick before, it sounds effective. Take care!