The Forecast

the-forecast1Today’s update is going to be quick because time is getting harder and harder to come by now that peak season has hit.

I survived Cyber Monday yesterday, and today is day four of a six day in a row stint. The work forecast is calling for overtime up until the end of season, we’re definitely getting more than we saw last year. The area managers are saying it’s because CamperForce and Staff Management (the temp agency) weren’t able to bring in as many people as were needed. Most of us campers are just fine with this, as we’re here for the overtime anyway.

The weather forecast is looking downright nasty. Today it’s pushing 60 and most of the low hazy clouds have at last been pushed out by the sun and tomorrow won’t be bad (although possibly snowy overnight), but by Friday the low is going to be 9 and it won’t get above freezing at all for a week or possibly more – way below normal temperatures for this area. I picked up some anti-freeze that I’m going to put in my gray and black tanks to keep my exposed plumbing down there safe, I probably won’t be using those tanks at all for that week and just use the bathrooms in the shower house like I did last year after winterizing. I’m going to keep my heat tape wrapped and insulated fresh water hose plugged in and cross my fingers that it stays clear. With two heaters inside the RV I should be able to keep the inside plumbing safe.

The first two pictures were taken yesterday when I realized I hadn’t posted a picture of Cas at Big Chief yet this year. Since then a few more RVs have left, I think it’s the impending cold weather that’s driving them off. One of those that left was my neighbor in A1, so I now have a clear view from my ‘office’ window of Amazon and the cleared field next to the park. Tomorrow I’ll be putting the Reflectix back up in that window and likely won’t be looking at that view again.

the-forecast3Lastly I’d like to send a sincere and humble Thank You to everyone who helped out IO in November. I had two donations using my Paypal donate link, and Amazon affiliate totals for the month were $165 even, I was blown away when I saw that report today. Perhaps even more amazing is just between the 1st and 2nd, Amazon earnings are already at $27.46 for December, that’s incredible. Thank you all for your support, including reading along and joining me on this adventure. With this extra money coming in, the forecast for 2014’s adventures is looking pretty bright. In my next post, I’m going to explain what work campers do in the ICQA department, since it’s neither Inbound or Outbound and I’ve had time now to get a good handle on how the two different jobs campers can do operate. Stay warm out there!

, , , , ,

18 Responses to The Forecast

1. Marvin December 3, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Thanks for taking the time to update . Current business reports show that in-store traffic was down while cyber traffic was up more than projections.

Amazon may be paying more next year to attract the help that they need.

Take care and stay warm – you are on the down side ! Florida is going to seem hot compared to your temps .

• Becky December 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

Yeah, we were also told that internet sales were up over last year. I still kind of doubt they’ll raise the pay for CamperForce next year, but who knows.

And I sure hope Florida is warm when I get down there. One of my coworkers is from California and when I looked up the weather for there on my phone for her the area was under a hard freeze warning with lows in the mid-twenties. She was pretty happy actually – if you’re going to be cold either way, might as well be cold and making money. πŸ˜‰

2. Pleinguy December 3, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

Sounds like you know what to do for the cold snap. It will be colder here in NM too, but not as severe as there. The teens at night will be new territory for me. Hope you make gobs of money with this gig. Take care.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Big BendMy Profile

• Becky December 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

One of my first days in the Badlands lows got down into the teens, I didn’t have water hookups to worry about but the trailer stayed warm enough with a borrowed second heater, so I imagine I’ll be okay this time. I’ve decided to just not use my plumbing during the really cold spell, I’ll leave my fresh water hose plugged in (the water itself is turned off at the spigot now) and if that gets ruined somehow it’s not a huge deal, hose itself is only $10. The heat tape should keep it clear though. Hope things warm up down there in NM!

3. Sheri December 3, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

Hi Becky!! I have been following your blog for quite a while now and I love it! I am so impressed with the way you handle yourself and your maturity level!! I also look forward to all your adventures – both good and not so good. I plan on going full-time in about two years so I am learning from you. I was so happy to see that you have a little money coming in because I think you deserve it for all the time and thought you put into this blog. Take care and don’t get too tired working…find a little time to enjoy where you are in your life right now!! Hugs, Sheri

• Becky December 4, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

Hello Sheri! Thank you for commenting and glad you’re finding this stuff helpful. πŸ™‚ Glad you made the decision to try full-timing, I’m sure enjoying it. Good luck on getting on the open road, and if you have any specific questions feel free to e-mail me, just understand that it may take me a while to get back to you with the increased workload.

Today is day 5 of 6, then I get 1 day off and it’s back on Saturday. That’s okay though, ICQA isn’t a real demanding job so I’m holding up so far. Safe travels and happy trails to you.

4. John Hussey December 4, 2013 at 4:45 am #

The workforce job will end and that income will stop. But the Amazon income via your shopping portal doesn’t. It just keeps chugging along year-round. It’s not “slimy” to promote it more. It’s business!

• Becky December 4, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

Indeed John. Although I’m expecting after Christmas sales will go back down quite a bit, it’s just the nature of online shopping. Still nice to have it there, I’m getting closer to solar all the time. πŸ™‚

5. Mike LeBlanc December 4, 2013 at 7:28 am #

Thank you so much for the photos of Big Chief!

• Becky December 4, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

You’re welcome Mike! There’s accumulating snow in the forecast the next few days, if it happens, I’ll try to get some snow pictures too.

6. David Michael December 4, 2013 at 7:40 am #

In Fernley, the temps are now in the teens or below. Expecting minus 4 in a few days. Cold!!!
    The pace at Amazon here is crazy with zillions of workers crawling over each other to reach the bins and ship out the goods. Lots of overtime, however, and most workampers are happy and working hard. Two weeks to go after tomorrow. Yippee! Freedom once again. Good luck on your final days there at Amazon. Great segment on 60-minutes last Sunday about new delivery methods by drone in the future.
    David Michael recently posted..Eastern Sierra NevadaMy Profile

• Becky December 4, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Haha, I heard about that special David, I think that’s still quite a ways off but it is an interesting concept. Our little group was pondering how weather would affect delivery times, driving into a headwind would probably slow it down considerably.

The low here on Monday is 4 right now, but it keeps fluctuating. Brrr! It didn’t get near this cold here last year, and I think Kentucky is seeing the same thing, colder weather this year than last.

I’m now walking from the far back parking lot to get into work, the number of people in the building at any one time is staggering, with less than a month to go though, it’s manageable. Then Texas and warmer weather. πŸ˜›

7. OpenSpaceMan December 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

The weather. I don’t have to stay in the Midwest this winter because I’m mobile also…but I’ve been at my job for six + years and figured it would be easier to just keep pluggin’ away and pay off the van before I head to warm climates next winter. But I figure Amazon needs help during the holidays at all their locations…so why did you choose to work where it’s cold as opposed to the Southeast or Southwest this winter?

*Is the pay better and if so is it worth having to deal with the cold?

*Also I have a question regarding Amazon’s affiliate deal. If I buy my sisters kids Amazon
    “Gift Certificates” through your link…will you be compensated? I’d hope so.

• Becky December 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

CamperForce pays way more than any other RVer friendly job out there (except possibly the sugar beet harvest in early fall, but that’s way north and just as cold), especially for this time of year. The 3 sites that take RVers are in Kentucky, Nevada, and Kansas – all which have similar temperatures this time of year so you can’t do it and escape the cold. If you do a search for CamperForce on my site you can read some articles about the money I made last year, it was pretty impressive. Perhaps the biggest thing is on top of every hour paid, your site and utilities are free when you’re working at Amazon, that’s a really good deal. For me and hundreds of others doing CamperForce, the cold is worth it.

And, are gift certificates the same thing as gift cards? I know gift cards purchased through my link will count, not as sure about gift certificates but it’s worth a try?

8. PamelaP December 5, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

I am visiting campers in Fernley today & tomorrow and it is COLD here – but seems like the weather here is headed for you so anticipate more cold! Glad to hear your ICQA job there is working well for you – I’ll be interested to hear more about it.

I can tell your readers that at this point in time there are no plans to increase base wages at any of our current sites. We are however evaluating some new benefits so stay tuned! We are also planning on putting in a new application process that will hopefully be easier for candidates to use. For more information, check our Facebook site from time to time as we’ll be publicizing the changes.

Stay warm & safe out there!

• Becky December 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Thanks for that information Pamela, I’m sure my readers will be interested in it. A more streamlined application process would be appreciated, haha.

Last night was the coldest at 8 degrees, next several are going be upper teens which is still cold, but an improvement. My bathroom sink water line is froze up though and that’s a problem, been trying to heat it up the past couple hours but no luck so far.

9. Rob December 6, 2013 at 9:08 am #

An Amazon question… Do many people leave early because of the weather?
    I’d think the bonus at the end & knowing winter was coming before hand would keep folks there.
    Rob recently posted..Damn dog!My Profile

• Becky December 7, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Some leave yeah, it’s hard to say whether it’s the weather or the hard work that makes them leave early, probably a combination of both. And this has been an unusually cold December so far, with a low of 8 last night my bathroom sink line did freeze up and I’m still trying to thaw it as night falls again. When you think about the cost to fix burst plumbing in a RV vs. the money gained by working at Amazon, it’s not worth the risk for some folks – plus a lot of campers are older and they feel the cold more, and to them comfort is more important than the money is since a lot of retirement funds to draw on.