mindfulnessEvery now and then I write a little about mindfulness and living in the moment and seeing the joy in where you are right now. These messages are always slipped into other posts, they have never stood alone because I’ve found it really hard to communicate exactly what I mean when I talk about these concepts.

But, this video does a good job of explaining most of what I mean (it links to YouTube).

**EDIT 12/17/13: Old video was pulled for copyright issues so I found a new one, this one is the full version of the speech without the fun video that accompanied the old link sadly but is still worth watching.**

Basically, don’t let your expectations for tomorrow or regrets about yesterday ruin your today. After getting on the road as a full-timer, or completing any other big dream, there won’t be a happily ever after, as much as we all might wish it worked like that. Life has it’s ups and downs, and today will always have it’s challenges. Some will be misfortunes that we have no control over and get frustrated about, others will be tedious things like in that video that need to be done whether we like it or not. The great thing is that we have the option to consciously decide how to respond and feel about the roadblocks and pitfalls we come up against.

, , , ,

27 Responses to Mindfulness

1. Kim November 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

Profound video, Becky. Thanks so much for sharing this!
    Kim recently posted..Home Again!My Profile

• Becky November 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

You’re welcome. First time I saw it I was like: “This is it! This is what I”m talking about!”

2. Rob November 24, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

Not to change the subject too much, but how goes the counting?

• Becky November 25, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Eh, it goes. I feel about the same about it as I did stowing last year, not particularly worse or better of a job. I’ll be writing a little more about it soon now that I’ve been trained to do Adhocs as well as simple bin counts.

3. Susan November 25, 2013 at 6:22 am #

Becky, I had never hear of the author of the video, now I am sorry we will not have him around to continue to enlighten us for these coming years. I loved his speech. It did fit well with your theme and spoke volumes to me of my tendency to drift through life without conscious thought. I plan to spend some time with some of his books this winter. Thank you.

Susan (the Hi-Lo on D1, just a couple of rows over)

• Becky November 25, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

I’m glad you found it helpful Susan. I haven’t read any of his stuff, but if that speech is any indication I bet it’s good! Whoever did the video to the speech also did a good job of it.

Are you keeping warm over there? it seems like it’s been colder this winter than last. Despite not getting above freezing yesterday my lines stayed clear, phew!

4. Evelyn B November 25, 2013 at 9:39 am #

Thanks for sharing. Sure makes you think!

• Becky November 25, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

You’re welcome Evelyn, it sure does.

5. Marcia GB in MA November 25, 2013 at 10:44 am #

A great post. I had never watched the video before and I am glad I did. This ought to be mandatory for every graduating college student and then again for the rest of us, once a year.

Thank you for posting.

• Becky November 25, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Glad you enjoyed it Marcia. I still get stuck not really thinking about things and just going through the motions, even now that I’m on the road. Part of changing your life for the better is doing what you want to with your life. But a decent chunk of it is changing yourself.

• MarciaGB November 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

You are so right. Sometimes the only thing you can change is yourself.

6. Carl November 25, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Thank you Becky…. I am 56 years old and wish this video had been out when I was your age. I truly believe it would have made my life quite different but it’s never too late to learn and adjust, is it?

Happy trails!

• Becky November 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

That’s very true Carl, it’s never too late to get started on something new. Even being introduced to it early in life, it’s a lesson that needs to be re-taught now and then. It’s just too easy to slide back into passive thinking.

Take care.

7. OpenSpaceMan November 25, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

I had to actually lookup the word. One definition says: When your mindful you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging good or bad. Instead of letting life pass you by.

I am guilty of acting / reacting on impulse…programmed for instant gratification without much actual thought. There are huge marketing machines in place, especially during the holidays that are constantly doing battle with our thoughts.

*Now I’m beginning to understand what it means to “practice mindfulness” and I need a lot of practice.

Thanks, good post…simple but very important concept.

• Becky November 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Glad to hear that you’ll be able to put this to use in your life OpenSpace. Practicing mindfulness has had a positive effect on my life, no doubt. But like the video says, it’s not something that you learn and then sticks with you forever. Some days are harder than others, and every now and then you need a refresher. I’ve actually had this link sitting around for a few months before I remember that I wanted to pull it out for IO, haha.

8. PamelaP November 25, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

I have been meditating for over 40 years now and incorporated mindful meditation into my overall meditation practice about 10 years ago. I know it is a large reason I am able to deal with a large amount of stress without letting it get me down. You DO have the ability and right to choose how you react to situations.

I have seen this video before and I think it’s really on target and very well made. SHould be required viewing for every studenth

• Becky November 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

I do a little meditation, but it’s not a regular practice for me. I’ve talked to others though who have said it works wonders for them. I can add one more person to the “it works” column. πŸ™‚

9. Carolyn November 26, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Thanks for the reminder.

• Becky November 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

You’re welcome Carolyn.

10. Diane December 14, 2013 at 12:35 am #

I’m coming in on this late but when I clicked on the link to the video, it said that it was not available due to copyright issues. What is the name of the author?

• Becky December 17, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Darn, so it is. David Foster Wallace was his name. I found a full link to the speech here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI but it doesn’t have the wonderful video to go along with it that the other link had, oh well.

11. David December 29, 2013 at 1:09 am #

Greetings, following along with your blog, I found this:

P.S. Very refreshing blog you have.

• Becky December 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Nice article David, thanks for sharing. Welcome to IO and enjoy your stay!

12. George January 11, 2014 at 7:01 pm #

By the way Becky
    I did like this article and the video. Even though i’m way older I relate back to this knowing how things happen in life. I’m glad you are doing what you want to do and wish you luck in our goals in life.
    This video puts things into perspective how we need to look at things.

• Becky January 15, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

Thank you George and I’m glad you liked it. I’ve come back to this video a couple times in the year since I found it, just as a refresher course. It’s nice to remind yourself what life is really about sometimes.

13. Tuan June 2, 2016 at 12:33 pm #

Something like this saying that i read awhile ago:

If you are depressed, then you are living in the past.
    If you are anxious, then you are living in the future.
    If you are at peace, then you are living in the present.

• Becky June 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm #

For the average person Tuan, I can certainly see the wisdom in this saying.

For people who have been diagnosed with anxiety or depression as a disorder though it’s not being stuck in the past or future that causes their symptoms, it’s a chemical imbalance in the brain.

So I guess it depends on the person. πŸ™‚