An Autumn Walk

I always get a bit excited when I notice the season changing. Being someone who enjoys new experiences, new views, learning new things, and meeting new people, I also enjoy the newness that comes from the passing of the guard from one season to the next. For me it’s a reminder than things are always changing, even if sometimes it feels (particularly before I hit the road) that nothing ever does. It’s seasonal reminder to be more alert and present and look, not just around me, but inside me and take stock of where I’m at and where I want to go from here. And if there’s any season that makes it hard to forget that things change, it’s the brilliance of fall.

Last year, I missed fall for the most part. It hadn’t yet begun when I left South Carolina, but never really arrived in the plains states which had been too dry for fall color. The leaves in the trees didn’t really turn so much as shrivel to a dry crisp and fall off.

an-autumn-walk2But this past week, fall has truly arrived to Coffeyville. I saw the start of it last weekend on my walk with my sitemates, and vowed that this weekend I would go back to the one mile paved trail that crosses Pfister Park north of town, and take my phone this time for pictures.

My timing was just about perfect. Last weekend the colors were just starting to show, and by next weekend peak will be past. The weather cooperated nicely too, blue skies and highs in the upper 50’s, with a crispness to the air that just speaks of autumn.

an-autumn-walk3If you’re working at Coffeyville this season and want to find this trail, head north on Buckeye street from 11th and follow it out of town and up the hill. Don’t worry about missing it, it’s really the only hill around. You’ll pass Leclere park first on your left, and at the top the road twists around a summer park that seems to have some pretty neat water slides and several swimming pools. You’ll see the Coffeyville municipal airport on the left, there’s a plane on display outside. The gravel parking turn off for the trail is just after that, before you get to the stadium.

There is a gravel trail coming off of the parking lot, but that’s private property. The one you’ll be looking for is paved and was once known as Roosevelt Scenic Drive, completed in 1934. Dogs are allowed, motorized vehicles are not, and the trail is one mile one way, with mild up and downs and a few curves to hug the side of the hill. In the middle there is a bench to rest on and a scenic overlook that gives a decent view of the surrounding countryside (pretty), and the oil refinery (less pretty).

In other news, my first week at Amazon went well, short as it was. I’ll be writing more about what it means to work in ICQA in another week or so when I’ve had a chance to do more stuff.

Also, I’d like to thank everyone who used my Amazon affiliate link in October, total proceeds for the month were $117. You guys make my day by contributing, whether it’s by shopping through my link, donating, or sharing your experiences by commenting on posts. Take care, and have a good rest of your weekend everyone.

, , , ,

19 Responses to An Autumn Walk

1. Susan November 3, 2013 at 12:00 am #

Becky, I am glad to find your site. I am at Big Chief (Hi-Lo across from bathhouse, D1) but seldom see anyone outside of work because I am doing some online college classes as well as working 6th shift. I am so glad to hear of this trail and hope I can get homework done in time to take a walk tomorrow. Thank you for posting the info!

I find it hard to connect to local things here relative to my experiences elsewhere. I don’t think a lot of the people realize how much the RV’ers contribute by taking an interest and posting about their community.

• Becky November 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

Hehe, you’re in the same site I was in last year Susan, I took a peek when I got here to see what RV(s) had it this year.

Glad you found this information helpful, and I hope you can get out there tomorrow! Not sure how much longer the colors will be good.

2. Beverly November 3, 2013 at 1:49 am #

Beautiful pictures Becky! Thanks for your pictures and your posts.

• Becky November 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Thanks Beverly, glad you liked them.

3. David November 3, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I love the weather down here in South Texas for the winter, but do miss the beauty of the trees in the Midwest. Thanks for the pictures. I won’t miss the snow, but will enjoy pictures.

Have a GREAT week.
    David recently posted..2013-11-02 – It is SaturdayMy Profile

• Becky November 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Luckily Coffeyville doesn’t seem too inclined to snow in the winter, Maybe 1 in 3 years the area will see a snowfall during the time Amazon is going, but it doesn’t stick since daytime temps get above freezing. After Amazon I’ll be enjoying Florida’s warmer winter weather too.

4. John Hussey November 3, 2013 at 7:31 am #

I am quite happy to see that your income from our purchases on Amazon through your portal is finally beginning to increase. Now, consider listing your reader’s Amazon purchases in the form of links in a separate paragraph somewhere in each of your postings. It would have a double benefit. First, if a reader sees the link and recognizes a purchase as one that he or she made through you, its bound to make them happy knowing you actually did receive credit for a small piece of that transaction from Amazon.

Second, perhaps seeing something that someone else purchased just might trigger a response from a reader to purchase one as well, and the convenient link you provide would eliminate the searching…Just food for thought. WE want you to succeed and building up your income through our Amazon purchases through you is one simple, easy way that we can all help you do it.

• Becky November 3, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Heya John,

Actually I’m going to have a separate tab with links to things I’ve personally ordered from Amazon for RVing and have found beneficial. That way I know people are going to get a good product if they decide to purchase. I feel wary about advertising products I haven’t tested the value of myself, don’t want to lead people astray, you know? Thanks for the idea though, I know that’s the method RVSue uses and it works well for her, I just don’t want to beat people over the head with my links every time I post. Writing a thank you once a month with that month’s numbers seems less slimy to me. It’s all a matter of personal preference really.

• Gary November 3, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

Great idea Becky. I am just getting started and it would be nice to hear about the item’s you have purchased that actually become useful.
        Gary recently posted..Retirement Decision – Life “Re-Start”My Profile

• Reine November 5, 2013 at 12:31 am #

I’m with John. I would enjoy seeing a little more about what YOUR readers purchase from Amazon. I get a kick out of seeing the various things RVSue’s readers buy and it would be interesting to see some of the things your readers purchase. My guess is that although you both have some readers in common, there are some folk that are unique to each of you.

Just a thought but since you are providing a valuable service to folks thinking about embracing your lifestyle and entertainment and enjoyment to the rest of us it makes sense that you can make a profit from the service.

I think it would be great if your earnings from the Amazon link would grow enough to give you more opportunity to take the volunteer jobs that are so rewarding to you and needed by the organizations.

• Becky November 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks Reine, I’m glad you find my writing valuable. I’ll think about it.

5. Dawn November 3, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Lovely fall colors. I have forgotten where you are at the moment..but it sure is pretty!

• Becky November 3, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

SE Kansas, not a place typically thought of as good for fall colors, but I let the pictures do the talking.

6. lee and lynda November 3, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

I’m going to save them to my own gallery so I have memories of coffee here they’re better than the ones I shot we love you Becky um so glad the Amazon purchases are helping out we try to buy everything we can of our stuff on Amazon from your site enjoy your shift loving .your site mates Lee Lynda. to to uh look at your blog take care

• Becky November 5, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Aww, thanks you two. I hope your first week went well! So sad that we don’t really get a chance to talk anymore. I’m actually getting overtime this week, so 20 hours for week 1, 50 hours for week 2, whee!

7. PamelaP November 3, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

I love that you find beauty anywhere & everywhere! When I was there I could see that the colors were just starting to pop. Wonderful that you had good weather & they didn’t freeze & fall off! Hope everything continues well for you there.

• Becky November 5, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Thanks Pamela, so far so good. And I think I took that walk on the perfect day, it’s gotten rainy again and I can see the leaves are falling off the trees now. Hope Seattle is treating you well.

8. Furry Gnome November 6, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

I too get excited about the changing seasons – so much that this is the theme of my own blog. I’m always watching for interesting seasonal changes to post About. You got some great pictures too.

• Becky November 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Thanks Furry. Ever since I was a kid I’ve enjoyed the changing seasons, although I like winter less as an adult. Snow is good in December but when I lived in Wisconsin I always got tired of it after new years.