Today the increasingly familiar red banner of severe weather is parading across my screen as rain and strong winds buffet the already battered trees outside. This isn’t the usual high wind advisory, it’s a repeat of last weekend’s blizzard-force winds, luckily with warmer temperatures this time. At a steady 30-45 mph with gusts up to 70 mph (again) with on and off horizontal rain, there’s not much to do outside today.
There’s plenty to do inside though.
After today, the weekend is suppose to be more pleasant, then the rain comes back on Monday and transitions to snow on Tuesday. The Inn still doesn’t have power, and the return of freezing temperatures mean that my plumbing in the RV is going to be at risk again. Leaving on Wednesday if the snow takes a while to melt might be problematic.
What to do, what to do. I conferred with my superiors at the Lodge a couple days ago and after a couple false starts I came to the conclusion that there really is no viable place to park Cas nearby where I can keep him plugged in. So yesterday I told everyone that it was going to be my last day at work (it’s the end of the pay period), and I’d be leaving this weekend, 3 work days and 4-5 actual days ahead of schedule. They understood.
So I’ve been quite busy today, getting everything together in the cabin in preparation to take it back out to Cas. My plan is to hook Cas and Bertha together tomorrow morning when the rain and wind has stopped, then drive up behind the Lodge and carry things out. I might leave tomorrow, or I might wait until Sunday, depending on how long things take and what the forecast looks like.
I’ve also spent some time on Google maps this morning comparing it to wunderground.com. As expected, a quick trip further west into Wyoming to see Devil’s Tower and swinging south to pass through Denver before cutting into Kansas isn’t a wise decision for me as nighttime temperatures are expected to be near or below freezing. I will make it further west some day, and I’ll enjoy it a lot more not having to worry about winter weather.
That leaves me with south or east, and as I came up from the south along smaller highways and county roads to get here in the spring, I’m going east this time. One of my coworkers at the Lodge who left before me is from Sioux Falls so I’m hoping to catch her on my first night out and meet for dinner somewhere. The weather both nights in Sioux Falls is going to be milder than in the Badands, so no worries there.
Plans after that are very fluid. On my way to Kansas last fall I stayed in a couple different state parks in Missouri, I’m thinking this year I’ll try a couple in Kansas. Like usual I’ll be writing travelogue style posts once I get on the road with more details.It's good to share: