Create Your Own Opportunity

Just a quick public service announcement to start your weekend off right: The pie is unlimited.

Yep, it’s another pie day. Not too long ago I wrote about Having Enough, that we get to choose how much Enough is, and that life should not be one big rat race to try to acquire as much money, stuff, and power as possible. In that post I mentioned briefly that part of what drives people to work the best years of their life away at a job they hate for More is the mistaken belief that all the good things in life can be represented by a pie. That there are only so many slices to go around – so you’d better work as hard as you can today for the largest slice to enjoy tomorrow.

Today I’d like to talk more about that metaphorical pie, and how it relates to less conventional endeavors. Whatever big dream you’ve been worried you can’t accomplish because your idea isn’t original, because too many people are doing it, or because you didn’t start soon enough, you’re wrong.

For starters, there is no such thing as an original idea. The thought that I wasn’t being original enough with my idea for Interstellar Orchard plagued me and almost kept me from getting this site off the ground. I decided I was going to write about my journey to full-time RVing back in December of 2010, and my first seven posts didn’t go up until November the next year, that was quite the gap. I worried that no one would read it, or worse, that I’d get a couple people to read it and they wouldn’t care or think it was stupid. Who’s going to want to hear about how I get ready to go RVing when there are already so many talented people out there writing about it?

I’ve since come to realize that while truly original ideas are very hard to come by, because of our individuality everyone’s journey to the same conclusion can be very different and a valuable learning tool. This is good news to all of you out there who want to start your own RVing (or anything else) blog, or write a book, or start an online class, or sell your arts and crafts, or start your own business of just about any sort. It isn’t ‘too late’, you haven’t ‘missed the golden opportunity’ and there aren’t ‘too many people doing it already’.

Because nobody else is you.

Nobody will write/craft/film/draw/act/code/speak/photograph quite like you can. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel, you just need to come with a way to make your offer a little bit different than anything else out there. And the best way to do that is to be yourself in whatever it is you do. Corporations thrive on conformity, but if you’re striking out to do Your Own Thing, individuals thrive on individuality.

Everyone has advantages that others lack, everyone has something unique to offer the world. Sometimes, I think we undervalue our knowledge and strengths as just because they come naturally to us: “This is easy for me to understand, and so it must be easy for others too.” (Wrong).

The reason why the pie is limited in a conventional setting is because the rules are very rigid and out of our control. There are only so many scholarships to that prestigious college. There are only so many openings at that company to compete for. There is only so much money to be made at your job – and the people higher up who are in charge of deciding the payroll are of course writing the rules in their favor.

When we break away from the conventional, the rules are ours to make. The pie is limited only by our imagination and by how hard we’re willing to work. Don’t worry that it’s all been done before, because just by being You, you’re bringing something new to the table. Don’t worry that you’ve arrived too late to the party, because the party has no end date. Don’t worry that all the pieces of the pie have already been spoken for. Because your audience is out there, waiting for you to pick up your pen, paintbrush, mouse, calculator, crochet needle, pliers, camera, hammer, tablet, microphone, dancing shoes, magic hat, or whatever your tool of choice might be, and get to work on what comes naturally to you that they have been struggling with for so long.

Get out there and start something amazing, the world is waiting on you.

As of yesterday, September 26th, Amazon earnings for this month are sitting at $45.99. Wow, that’s incredible! Last month I ended at $23.54, which was twice as high as my third highest month. I’d like to thank you all for shopping using my Amazon affiliate link. Interstellar Orchard costs me about $9.29 a month for hosting, security, and continued use of the domain name. I pay a lump sum of $223-ish every two years, and payment just came due for the next two years so that’s a total of $446 spent so far, your contributions are most appreciated!

On a different note, if you wander over to the Videos tab, you’ll find two shiny new videos up for your viewing pleasure. These two are both from this year, but I still have more from last year to catch up on as well, progress is being made! Also as you can see, sunsets here in the Badlands continue to be fantastic, although today was cloudy, cold, and rainy. Change is in the air, in more ways than one.

, , , , ,

11 Responses to Create Your Own Opportunity

1. Mike LeBlanc September 28, 2013 at 7:02 am #

Thought provoking and inspirational! This article is at the top of my list for a re-read. As a responder to this blog has previously written; you are truly wise beyond your years! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

• Becky September 29, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

I’m glad to hear you liked it Mike.

I’ve had a number of people both online and in person who, upon hearing about what I do here, say they’d like to start a blog of their own, but they’re worried there are already too many blogs out there about the subject they’d want to write about, or they feel like they waited too long and now the best opportunity has passed, or don’t have enough/the right kind of experience. Heck, when I started IO I hadn’t spent a single night in a RV yet, and my own RV purchase was months away still.

• Mike LeBlanc September 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Becky…the uniqueness of your blog is that it is organized and very well written!

2. Teri Lee September 28, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Just wondering what company you use for web hosting/domain and if you are happy with them. I plan to set up a web page and there are so many companies out there to choose from.
    Thanks. And I agree with the other comments, your blog posts are very helpful.
    Teri Lee recently posted..High Tide @ SunsetMy Profile

• Becky September 29, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

I use Bluehost, and have been quite happy with them. Setting up WordPress was easy, it it didn’t cost me any more for an e-mail address, I’ve never had any problems with outages. But then I’m not a “real” web designer, and my needs were simple. I’d just done some research in the industry and heard that they were pretty reliable and easy to use, and that turned out to be the case. It’s not the cheapest option though I’m pretty sure.

3. Dawn September 29, 2013 at 8:09 am #

Agree, this is very thought provoking. I have had similar thoughts….there are better photographers…better writers….who would want to read me…I have nothing inspirational in my life at the moment…bla bla bla bla…

You are right…there is enough pie for everyone! Thank you for kicking me in the…well…you know.

• Becky September 29, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Yeah. After thinking about it a long while Dawn, I think it’s not being the best at a single talent but combining several of your talents together that makes a recipe for a good project, whether it’s paying or not.

I have some talent at writing, I have some talent at storytelling, I have some talent at teaching, I have some talent at art and photography. I’m not great at any single of these things, but by combining them together here the worth adds up to more than the sum of the numbers: 1+1=3.

Hustling is another part of it though. Even if you have the most beautifully written prose, the most stunning photographs… who’s going to know about it unless you advertise? In the world of blogging, advertising isn’t paying for commercials and billboards, it’s getting active in the community of your target audience. And while many people cringe at the thought of advertising, it doesn’t have to be (and it shouldn’t, really!) be skeevy.

For me, that meant posting helpful advice on topics in large RVing forums and commenting on blog posts from other, better known RVers. If your comments are genuine and helpful, eventually people will get curious and click that link in your name or your signature to your blog. I still do this in fact, to draw new people to IO. Success comes to those who are willing to work for it.

Passion is another key ingredient. It takes time to build a blog, and if you’re just looking for a get rich quick scheme, it simply won’t work. You’ve got to genuinely love what you’re talking about, and love helping other people understand it better. That passion will pull you through the hard times, when it feels like you’re making no progress. You’re making progress all right, every day you keep fighting for it.

4. Furry Gnome November 6, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Thanks again for the encouragement! Your ideas speak so directly to where I’m at at the moment, even though it’s very different from you. Gotta keep up the writing now that I’m started!

• Becky November 7, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

You’re welcome. And yes keep writing, the world needs more writers.

5. Terri December 20, 2015 at 1:08 pm #

As usual, I come to your blog for advice and inspiration. I just wanted to let you know I have finally stopped just talking about it and thinking about it and applied to some workamper jobs. Today. Three so far, in fact. I know it’s not a perfect life, and you are always honest about the pitfalls, so I appreciate your candor and honesty in each and every post. I think I will print out this post and put it somewhere I can see it often, as I think it will keep me focused, so thank you.

Feeling like what I had to say and write was not original enough was a huge reason why I didn’t have the courage to write a book before now. But you’re right. We all come to things with our own unique perspective and experiences. We all have something to contribute. Maybe we do well and succeed. Maybe we don’t. But, we never know until we try (if you don’t mind my using a cliche.)

I know you wrote this post two years ago, but I wish you a very merry xmas. I hope you enjoy Quartzsite! Can’t wait to read your posts about it.
    Terri recently posted..My Next RVMy Profile

• Becky December 20, 2015 at 6:27 pm #

Good for you Terri! I hope you hear back about your applications soon and as always I wish you the very best in your endeavors.

I’m also glad you’ve enjoyed this post and I hope you do write that book, I’m sure it will be a good read. 🙂

Merry Christmas to you as well, and I can’t wait to share my boondocking experiences with all of you this winter!