Positioning Yourself for Full-timing

positioning-yourself-for-full-time-rvingWhen I look back at the crazy year an a half it took me to get on the road, I realize that I definitely had a couple advantages over other folks who dream of full-timing. Not that it was easy for me, after graduating from college it’s probably the second hardest thing I’ve done in my life (college no doubt would have been easier if I’d actually wanted to do it) But I think these things are worth mentioning, perhaps they’ll be helpful to those of you who are thinking about going full-timing at some point in the future.

• I was an apartment dweller instead of owning a house. This played a key role in two ways: I had a lot less downsizing to do as apartments are smaller, and I also never lived in the same apartment for more than 2 years, and every time I moved I elected not to take with stuff I wasn’t using. It also meant I didn’t have the added difficulty of selling a house before I could hit the road, and I wasn’t needing to spending precious time up keeping said house.
  • I was essentially independent and had no strong attachments in any one place. I already lived over 1000 miles from my relatives and college buddies. I’d been in SC for only three years, and had moved cities 3 times. I had no significant other to try to convince that this was a good idea, no children to worry about how hard constant travel might be on. My job was not satisfying. I had little in the way of roots to tie me down basically.
  • I was a natural saver. Before minimalism was trendy I’d always been more inclined to save than spend my cash. Pair that with a strong work ethic and never having more than two weeks of vacation in a year and it meant that long before I decided to go RVing I’d been building my savings.
  • I wanted to go full-timing more than I wanted anything else. It’s a true fact that if you want to change your life in a major way, your motivation has to be strong enough to override just being comfortable where you’re at. I think a lot of people want to change their lives but don’t because they just can’t get past the fact that while they may not like their job or circumstances, it’s more comfortable to endear it than to spend the effort needed to push the boundaries.

Do not be disheartened if you find yourself in one or more of these three situations. Plenty of people still manage to go full-timing with little money saved up, a house that needs selling, or a family to think about. In fact, if you’re early in the process of going full-timing and still have a couple years or so to go, there’s time to work on these things now and turn them into advantages.

If you have a house, and know you’re going to be going full-timing in a few years, can you work on selling the house now and rent smaller and less expensive lodging until your departure date? That way you won’t have as much downsizing to do before moving into your RV and you won’t have to worry about a delayed sale of the house screwing up your time schedule for getting on the road. Bonus: Selling the house early before you’ve bought your RV will give you more funds to work with when you make the purchase.

Start talking now to the people who matter about your upcoming decision, so that they get use to the idea. I wrote an article about how to deal with difficult people who just ‘didn’t get it’ a while ago. If they really disapprove that strongly, they probably aren’t worth having in your life anyway.

Talk to your spouse and see how they feel about full-timing. Maybe a smaller trip in a rented RV might bring them around. If they really are dead set against it, don’t lose hope. Maybe RVing as a solo for part of the year and then coming back to your spouse afterward will be a compromise you both can agree on. I know of at least one couple who went this route. If you both really care about each other, you’ll find a way to give each other what that person needs.

RVing with children presents it’s own unique challenges, but it can be done – so long as one parent is okay with homeschooling the kids. I’d do a poor job of explaining how for obvious reasons, so you’re better off visiting those blogs yourself and getting the word straight from the horse’s mouth. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

The very first step I took when I decided I wanted to go RVing, was to start keeping track of all the money I spent in a month and what my rate of savings actual was – prior to this, I just peeked at my bank account every so often as was satisfied as long as it kept going up. For me, the monthly full-timing cost when I was staying at RV parks was very similar to what it cost me to live for a month in an apartment – I only have an advantage when the employer is paying for some (or all) of my lodging costs like at Amazon or here at Cedar Pass. So even if full-timing is still years out for you, start keeping track of your money today. See exactly what it costs you to live for a month and how much money you save. Start living simply now – no more buying furniture or home decor items that won’t be useful in the RV. Ask yourself before you buy anything if it’s something you’ll want to take with you on the road. If you get a head start on it early, you’ll have more to work with once you get on the road.

And as for motivation, well, you’re working on that right now just by reading. No one can be motivated and inspired all the time, myself included. To keep my eye on the goal, I did a lot of blog reading of other folks who were already on the road, to remind myself what I was working towards. I made time in my busy week for smaller weekend trips to get me excited for the larger ones to come. No one can sustain output, output, output all the time. You need input too, you need to ‘fill your cup’ as it were, to have the energy to keep working towards a hard goal like this. I listened to a lot of inspiring music, read motivational blog posts, and talked to folks who were working towards similar goals or were already on the road. Heck, I’m still doing those things as I find myself shifting into a sort of Phase Two of RVing.

Current RVers: what advantages did you have to help you get on the road, and what drawbacks did you face? Future RVers: what do you find yourself struggling with most about getting on the road?

, , , ,

31 Responses to Positioning Yourself for Full-timing

1. Glenda Laine September 3, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Great advice. We wanted to full-time in a year or so until both of us lost our jobs. We finally realized after being unemployed for nearly 2 years, this was our chance. Hate to admit it but foreclosure simplified the process a bunch. Going thru breast cancer too definitely stressed not putting off our dreams. No regrets after 2+ years of ‘egg living’.

• Becky September 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Thank you for sharing Glenda! You’re not the first person I’ve heard of who decided to make a go of full-timing after losing their jobs or another financial or personal disaster struck.

I think it takes courage to make the leap under that kind of stress, but it can really be a golden opportunity in disguise because you have little to lose at that point, and so much to gain. I hope others will follow your example and if they find themselves in a similar situation.

And yeah, Casitas are pretty awesome to live in, aren’t they?

2. Pleinguy September 3, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Advantages: Single and no children so no one else to consider, approaching retirement, good health insurance with employer which would switch to Medicare when retired, a long time desire to travel and paint on location so RVing was a perfect fit, no pets, friends and family supported the RVing idea
    Drawbacks: A house that needed lots of repair, and which needed to be sold in a down market to fund the RV because of lingering debt and little in savings, a large art studio with years of supplies and paintings to sort through

Once I did the research and decided, motivation was never an issue. Finding the right RV for me took a long time, but happened just as the house sold. So, your advice to start early is what really helped my plan come together. I’m now happily traveling as planned.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Air Force MuseumMy Profile

• Becky September 3, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

It’s been great sharing our journeys together as we both prepared to go full-timing Plein. I’m glad to hear it’s still working out well for you. 🙂

3. Dawn September 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

I have at least two years, probably more before I can do the RVing thing…meanwhile you are right, I have started thinking about anything I buy, nothing I need now anyway. Not really. And I’m hoping to convince my husband by then…working on it. Lots to do, no sense waiting for the last minute to do it all. I could start by sorting junk in the basement now…don’t you think! LOL

• Becky September 3, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

Haha, yeah it’s never too early to start downsizing Dawn. Even in a smaller home like I had it still took many months and several phases to accomplish. Good luck working on your husband! I hope you two will find a solution that makes you both happy.

4. Wayne from PA September 3, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

As i think you know already, I’m in my two year (or so) countdown to fulltiming. I have several similarities with you, but also many differences. I’m single and live in an apartment, but I’m older (LOT’s older. lol) and I have been married, so I do have a bunch of extra stuff that I’ve started getting rid of. I have made the decision not to buy any more large items unless they will work in an RV.

I’ve started blogging about my life working towards RV’ing at http//www.MyBigAssRv.com. Over the past year, my blogging has been sporadic at best, but I’m trying to write more often. I like the ideas you’ve listed here and will have to add them to my own plans. Thanks again, for a great view from someone who’s already made that big move.

• Becky September 3, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

As I told Dawn, it’s never too early to start downsizing, haha. Least single and apartment living helps some with that. And think of how much money you’ll save in 2 years by not making any big purchases on dreaded Stuff.

I love keeping up IO, and thoroughly encourage other RVing and RVing hopefuls to have one. It’s a great outlet to think through frustrations, a handy way to keep in touch with the online RVing community, and plus it feels good to share what you’ve learned with others.

Good luck Wayne.

5. Kim and Jerry Portelli September 4, 2013 at 12:00 am #

Once we made the decision, we had everything finished up and finalized and we pulled out of Arizona in 18 months. That included selling off all the stuff that a couple accumulates after 19 years of marriage, selling our home, researching and deciding on what fifth-wheel to purchase, ordering it, having it built, purchasing the truck to pull it and changing our state of residency to Florida.

I believe once someone makes up their mind and commits to changing their life, the process can be done quickly, even with disadvantages trying to block the path. Good luck to everyone on the way to full-timing!!
    Kim and Jerry Portelli recently posted..Mountain HiMy Profile

• Becky September 4, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Thanks for commenting guys, have fun in Denver and hike some trails for me! The heat is still really bad here too, highs in the 90’s, forecast is calling for 102 on Friday, gah. Where’s my fall?

6. Randy and Annie September 4, 2013 at 8:03 am #

You are so spot on with this…Annie and I have been planning going full timing for over three years now. From the talking about it…putting the house on the market to where we are now living in our motorhome in an RV park putting my last year in at work. I can not stress enough to start what we call it “purging” our belongings…it has been stages for us and very hard to give up the things we have collected over the years. As I sit here in the drivers seat getting ready for work, I have a pile of clothing sitting near me going to Goodwill. Are we done no, we still have a controlled storage unit full of things we need to part with that have significant sentimental and monetary value…..we are close to making that final decision to give it away to relatives or sell it. still hard for Annie to down size her wardrobe to the point of need verses want. Your blogs are so insightful and a joy to read.

• Becky September 4, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Hello Randy and Annie, thank you for commenting.

Purging, downsizing, it’s the same thing, and it does take a lot of time to do. For the family heirloom kind of stuff, I was fortunate enough that my parents have a large house with a big basement, when I went back for Christmas I took my last tote of unneeded “stuff” to there house to store there, my best friend and roommate for many years ended up getting a lot of my books, DVD’s, and apartment furniture. Maybe for your things that have a lot of sentimental or value to the family a relative could look after them for you?

Also, like you I lived stationary in my RV for several months while I worked at my job a bit longer and got other things in order to go full-timing. I’m glad that I decided to go that route instead of hitting the road right away – there ended up being some things that needed attention on my RV and it was a nice transition. Safe travels and happy trails.

7. Kadi September 4, 2013 at 10:50 am #

Hi Becky.
    I just came across your blog a few days ago and LOVE IT! I am about to become a full-time van dweller. Bought my van earlier this year, had to take a plane trip, now back at home base doing the last details before hitting the road.

I have to say this has been one strange experience!! I have dreamed of being a full-time RVer most of my life. I took summer RV trips with my parents. While married we even lived in a travel trailer for several years though we never went anywhere with it. Single now, the dream is still alive and getting closer however, despite the pluses of this lifestyle I am finding myself being wishy-washy, fearful and stalling taking off. I believe it has something to do with stepping out into the unknown alone. How will I handle break downs, how will I handle suspicious characters, etc.

I am so thankful for blogs like yours that help me stay encouraged and to remember I’m not the only “crazy” one out there!.

• Becky September 4, 2013 at 11:53 am #

You’ve got it all wrong Kadi, they’re the crazy ones slaving away at a 9-5 and being miserable for most of their adult lives, we’re the sane ones. 😉

If you came here from Bob’s blog then you already know how I handle suspicious characters (or would, I really haven’t had a problem yet). How far back in my blog have you read though? I wrote about dealing with fear early on, here it is if you haven’t found it yet: http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2011/12/05/fighting-fear/ Everyone experiences fear with a big change like this, but there are some steps to manage it so that it doesn’t paralyze.

8. jody September 4, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Hi Becky,
    I’m enjoying reading your blogs. I also have a lot of advantages but some very different disadvantages. I have had a major health challenge for 3 years now and have not been able to work much, so at the moment money is a huge issue, but my plan is that when (being very positive here) my disability gets approved I will then have the funds to buy and fix my vehicle from all the back pay. It just hit me one day that that would be the best investment I could make, a home on wheels!
    My advantages are that I have been living with my daughter for 3 years and before that I shared housing or rented rooms, so I have very little furnishings or stuff to get rid of. I’m used to living cheaply and in small spaces, I actually prefer it. I’m single, so no spouse to worry about and my children are all grown. My family is very supportive and agree that this would be a great option for me. I don’t have any real friends close by but I have a few friends scattered about the country so that’s a great advantage in that it will be easier to visit them.
    My biggest disadvantage is my health, I have lots of fatigue and weakness, but it seems manageable by having a low stress calm life, so I think I can manage driving when I feel good and just hanging in my little home when I need rest.
    In the meantime, I love reading blogs and websites and get very excited at this possibility for my future.

• Becky September 5, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Hello Jody

Crossing my fingers that you get accepted! Do you know what kind of RV you’d be looking for yet?

That’s really nice that your daughter is putting you up in the meantime as you sort through the difficulties. And yeah, having less Stuff to worry about will make full-timing easier.

Keep us all updated on how it goes. Safe travels and happy trails!

• jody September 6, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Yes, Becky, I’m so fortunate to have a wonderful and supportive family! I am thinking to go with a conversion van, I would love a small RV for the luxury of a bathroom, but based on the gas mileage charts, the conversion van seems so much more reasonable. Also, I figure I will be spending some time with friends and my kids and grandchildren, so the van seems like an easier vehicle to park in driveways. It also seems like it would be much easier to drive around. I also had thought of a truck or car with a camper, so I could unhook and have a regular vehicle to drive around when I’m not out on the road. But hauling campers can be a nuisance. Any thoughts?

• Becky September 7, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Like you I was stuck between a class B/small class C and a truck and trailer, I ended up going with the later because it made more sense in my case. It gave me more flexibility in what I could take for seasonal jobs, if I had just had a RV I would have been forced to choose seasonal jobs where I was right on site and could walk to work or get a shuttle or talk a neighbor into driving me, or I’d have been forced to pull up camp and drive it back and forth every day.

While hitching up and driving with Cas tagging along behind hasn’t been as challenging as I’d thought it might be, it still does require more effort and mindfulness when I’m driving. I do not regret my decision because I still feel it was the best option given my circumstances. I drive Bertha the 8 miles to and from the Lodge every day and am grateful that I don’t need to worry about being late for the provided transport or getting stuck at work for long periods of time after my shift ends waiting for everyone else to be ready. I was also grateful to have Bertha at Amazon last December when I’d get done with work at 3:30 am in the coldest part of the night and I could hop in the truck and crank up the heat to high and have a comfortable trip home instead of walking or biking as some folks did who stayed at Big Chief.

It’s true I can’t park on the side of a city street or in a residential driveway very easily. It’s true I’m 35′ long all hooked up and can’t get into some gas stations and have a harder time finding parking. But on the flip side I have a shower and toilet. I have more space than a van and can stand upright inside my home. My bed gets to stay a bed full-time and I still have a dedicated space for my ‘office’. I have more mobility once I get to an area to explore. You just need to weigh the pros and cons yourself and see where you end up.

9. David Roderick September 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Hi Becky,
    We are starting our seventh year full timing. It’s been an outrageous experience. Not for everyone but great for our desired lifestyle. After finishing our retirement career of teaching ESL in the Middle East, we had already sold our home and belongings narrowing it down to the RV, two kayaks and two bicycles. We started with a 27 foot motorhome (Lazy Daze) with solar and generator, which was perfect for boondocking and staying in National Parks, BLM lands, and National Forests. Later we added a CRV Honda SUV to enable us a bit more freedom to roam once we set up a base camp.

One of the keys to RVing success we found, besides a positive attiude and motivation, is to keep a daily budget (as you said). I write our expenses at the end of each day and keep up to date. That way we have been able to reduce our monthly expenses from $3000 to $2200 a month for everything. This allows us to live on our social security income while adding to our nest egg of Treasury Bonds (I Bonds).

As you document, there are lots of ways to add to one’s income for extra wants and needs through working in the National/State Parks or places like Amazon. At age 76, we hope to keep full timing until 80 at which time we plan to a buy a condo to go part-time on the road. In the meantime, we look forward to working at Amazon for a change of pace this coming Christmas season. Thanks for sharing on your blog!
    David Roderick recently posted..Eastern Sierra NevadaMy Profile

• Becky September 5, 2013 at 10:57 am #

Congratulations on 7 years David, that’s quite an accomplishment. You have some of the things I want for RVing, but don’t have the saved up funds for yet – solar, bicycle and possibly inflatable kayak in that order. 😛 But I’ve got time and I’m saving a little every paycheck so I’ll get there.

You aren’t the only one who follows this blog who has one of those colorful little Lazy Daze Class C’s, I think they’re so cute although being a guy you probably object to that term. 😛 Pleinguy who started full-timing just recently has a red one that he’s traveling in.

Enjoy Amazon! Well, most people don’t enjoy Amazon per-say, but they enjoy the money made at Amazon, so hopefully you’ll at least appreciate that.

10. Kathi & Michael Williams September 4, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Nice article, Becky! Sounds like the preparation for full-time RVing is a lot like planning for retirement, which I did somewhat early, eight years ago. We’ve always camped and traveled the West Coast on school vacations in a van, or our 36′ schoolbus, but now we’ve downsized to a 17.5 ft Aljo, which we got only slightly used at an excellent price.

Advice to those 5-8 years away from travel: SAVE for the damn truck! Both our car and truck became ancient (over 200K miles) when we weren’t looking, and now even a good used truck is WAY over what we paid to build our house forty years ago in the mountainous woods of far northern CA! I doubt we’ll ever sell our house because we love our base near magical Mt. Shasta, but we are certainly super ready to leave for the cold months (8-9 of them!).

Last year we went to a friend’s condo in Mesquite for a month, and took our cats (one blind), who loved being with us. Do not recommend Mesquite unless you like to golf or gamble, but we finally found a rescue donkey ranch and made friends with the nice people and sweet muzzles there. They invited us to bring our trailer this winter, and we may, after fiddle convention in early Nov. in Death Valley (hubby’s in western swing bands).

So maybe it’s going to be just as fun having a familiar base and traveling longer and longer each year, though right now we may have to borrow a burro to get on the road…..;) Glad to add your blog to those I follow for inspiration! Cheers to all nomads at heart!

• Becky September 5, 2013 at 11:04 am #

My ’01 Dakota was only $10,500 before the trade in, she had 87,000 miles and was in good shape. At first I was wondering if you really thought that was a lot of money (I suppose for some folks it could be, but the car I had before that cost more) but then I remember that most people have bigger and heavier trailers than mine and need at least a 1/2 ton, and the price of a truck seems to go up exponentially the bigger you need.

Getting away for the winter sounds like fun, I hope you manage to get back out to Mesquite. Also, I didn’t know fiddle conventions existed, but they sound pretty awesome. My best friend and I sing old folk music, a Capella, but I’ve come to appreciate good fiddling. 😛

Safe travels and happy trails. 🙂

• Kathi & Michael Williams September 6, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Thanks! Yeah, fiddlers are organized in state districts & the Death Valley thing is also sponsored by a group called the 49ers. Supposedly a couple of thousand folks go!

We may be close to a truck purchase! Anyone out there tried a Nissan Frontier for small trailer hauling!?

Cheers, ~Kathi

• Becky September 7, 2013 at 11:54 am #

Sounds like fun Kathi. 🙂

What I’d do for starters is look at the owner’s manual for the Nissan and see what the manufacturer’s recommendations are for towing. Somewhere in there will be a number for it, and it’ll probably also tell you at what tongue weight you’d need a weight distribution hitch at – my Dakota did anyway.

11. Paul Dahl September 6, 2013 at 10:23 am #

We were very fortunate is so many ways, we started RVing in 1993 with a twenty year old Class A that was my second job to fix it up after every trip. I was a career officer in the Coast Guard and spent thirty years in it, while my wife also worked.

We had a couple of other RVs and progressed to our current MH while we were still working. In 2011 we both retired and sold our home and everything in it was either given to our kids, sold or donated, then we hit the road in Dec 2011. We retain about 10 boxes of keepsakes, photos and family treasures in our daughter’s attic.

From my military retirement, it gives us a monthly paycheck that we live on and provides medical for us, too. We have my wife’s 401K still making us money as we’re too young to access it yet and we invested most of the money from our house sale. Some day when we get tired of traveling or may be forced to give it up, we’ll buy another house and new furniture.

It took many years of hard work to get to our fulltime life. We feel blessed that we made the decisions so many years ago that got us here, many without even knowing how they’d pay off so many years in the future.

We count our blessings every day.

You do a great job on your blog and your working to support your FT life is an inspiration. Keep up the good work!

• Becky September 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Thanks for your story Paul, the fact that so many full-timers speak so well of their experience on the road must mean that it’s worth the hassle of getting there, huh? 😉

Thank you for reading, and glad to hear that you’re enjoying IO. Safe travels and happy trails!

12. nora September 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Becky hi

13. nora September 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Becky: sorry about just saying hi above but wanted to know that my post would go through before writing In detail. I haven’t accomplished much since I read your guest post on Bob’s site as I have been reading here. It is like having a good book that one cannot put down. I am finally caught up and want more! Can I be honest here and tell you I am jealous? I wish when I was your age I had had the courage to be as adventurous as you are being. I did the traditional college thing, graduated and went to work as an RN. The plan was to work a year locally then go somehere exciting to work. I had actually received a job offer in Alaska but was too unsure of myself and didn’t go. And time went by quickly and now I am 55. I have been reading Bob’s site for about a year. I have begun the process of decluttering. I have a lot of things to get settled, but…fulltiming is my goal. You are wise beyond your years and I greatly
    y admire you for examining your life to determine what will make you happy. You also have some amazing readers that I have learned much from. While reading your blog I was trying to get caught up quickly and was not going to read the replies but got caught up reading their comments as well. Thanks for taking the time to share your life with us. I’ll be tagging along with you. Nora

• Becky September 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Hello Nora,

For starters, welcome to IO! I’m glad you’re enjoying it and I know what it’s like to land on a new blog that grabs you, I myself have spent a weekend catching up on a blog that caught my attention from the beginning, like reading a good story. 😛

First time commentors need to get approved once, but now that you’ve been approved all your future comments will show up as you post them. I need to keep this system in place because of the sad fact that for every one real comment IO receives, I get 50 or so spam comments that advertise junk and add nothing to the topic.

I’m always happy to hear from other women who are looking to get on the road. The fear of failure is really the hardest thing to overcome, once you’ve got a handle on that, it’s just a matter of time to figure out the logistical side of things. Good luck, and keep us all appraised on your progress! You’re right, a lot of what makes IO amazing is the wonderful people who share their adventure along with me, I’m happy to have you joining in. 🙂

14. Sue December 19, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Hi Becky

Your blogs are just perfect. I’m gaining so much insight as I read through them. The more I read and the more research I do. The more I like this idea of living in an rv full time. I’ve been working to get off the grid for a little while now but with no specific goal or plan laid out. The only things I knew that I would need to do is eliminate my debt and start removing luxuries from my life so that I could be sure that I could do it. I’ve just started looking into trying to learn how to grow a small indoor vegetable garden. This one should be interesting as I have never been able to grow anything or keep plants alive. But I think it would be a useful skill even with full time rv’ing. Plus I think it will help me to always remember that the sacrifices I make today will be made up for once I am ready.

Your article asked what do future rv’ers find that they struggle with. I think , for me, the housing market is the biggest struggle. I, like many others, owe more then what the house is worth. I did look into a short sale, but was told because I am current and have never missed a payment that a short sale was not an option. So much for saving money. I’ve been pushing all extra cash into the house and other bills to eliminate them. Which is a good thing. But that just means I have about two years before I can do any serious actions to change my life.

The next hardest thing is waiting. I was ready about a year ago. So in the meantime I just keep cruising though the Internet, researching, planning, discovering skills I should probably learn, and reading about others experiences, like yours. Thank you for that bit of advice to keep reading other people’s blogs to help keep the goals fresh and exciting. I’m also going to take your advice for little weekend getaways of traveling.

I have to say, it is so nice to be able to finally talk to someone about this. All the people I know are very materialistic and do not understand that peace of mind and a peaceful life are sometimes more important then money. The third hardest thing is being excited and not having anyone to chatter excitedly with…if that makes sense.

Have a wonderful night and future safe travels.

• Becky December 19, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

Hello Sue,

I’m sorry to hear about your house woes, you are definitely not the only potential RVer I’ve talked to who has lamented the poor housing market for sellers right now. Still, you’re doing the right thing by keeping up on payments and while I know two years away seems like forever right now it’ll come sooner than you think. Keeping the dream fresh by following others who are on the path you want to follow and taking mini trips to remind yourself why you want to go traveling certainly helps.

I remember being in the place you are now, so excited to try something new but having no one supportive of my dream to discuss it with. I turned to online communities, both blogs and RVing forums and Facebook groups to connect with other like minded people and it helped immensely. There are a lot of people out there who share our love of the open road, the trick is finding them. the Escapees board, and RV.net were the two forums I initially joined. Once you decide what kind of RV you are looking for, you can probably find groups specifically for that kind of RV to join as well.

Best of luck and keep us updated on how it goes!