Picture Day

I spent all morning typing up a post for today, it was almost done and then Open Office froze and I lost it all and the file wasn’t recoverable, never had that happen before. I don’t have time to type it all up again right now, so I’m declaring today a picture day! Have some random pictures. ๐Ÿ™‚ ย Bonus points for anyone who can guess where they all were taken (hint, all were taken after I moved into my RV).

I’ve really enjoyed taking pictures in the places I’ve visited, although I don’t always think I do a great job of it. ย Part of it may be that I only have a phone camera to use. ย How about you guys, what kind of camera do you use to capture those breathtaking moments? ย Do you prefer to set a shot up in advance, or do you tend to take them on a whim? ย (Also, it’s very hard to work with larger sized images when I’m creating a post and these are only 640 pixels wide at most, anyone with a picture-heavy blog want to share their secrets?)

26 Responses to Picture Day

1. Pat August 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

Camera phones do an amazing job.
    Pat recently posted..32 Museums to See in the Phoenix Area โ€“ Many Are FreeMy Profile

• Becky August 18, 2013 at 11:56 am #

They can yeah. I think iphone’s is better than most, but maybe I’m biased. ๐Ÿ˜› The iphone 5 actually has a panorama feature, makes me a tad jealous with my 4S. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Lance August 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

The 4s has panorama!

• Becky August 26, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

Yep another commenter further down informed me, thanks.

2. ponderingperson August 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

The best camera is the one you have with you.

• Becky August 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

True, and the iphone is so convenient to take pictures with. It fits in my pocket, allows me to make phone calls from about anywhere, and doubles as a gps.

3. Jill Hagen August 16, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Whatever camera you have takes spectacular photos. Don’t change a thing.

• Becky August 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Glad you liked them Jill. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. k&p Catalano August 17, 2013 at 4:19 am #

No complaints on any of the photos you’ve posted to date, they are wonderful! I’m so sorry you lost your original post. i’ve had that happen before and it is so disheartening. Love the positive alternative!
    k&p Catalano recently posted..POST-ITs, POST-US, INTERUPT-USMy Profile

• Becky August 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

It’ll be back next week, the post that should have been here I mean. ๐Ÿ˜› Least I’ll know exactly what to write. ๐Ÿ˜‰

How are you guys doing? Feeling better?

• k&p Catalano August 17, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Hi Becky!
        Yes for the most part…just the lingering cough and a little sleepiness, but the worst is definitely over. Am itching to get back on track with the quest! had lots of time to think up new topics to post about! but have to finish the last part of the organizing series (am imagining patient readers with all their steps to this point done sitting around going “NOW WHAT?”)
        …and just wanted to thank you once again for being our inspiration to do this! (there is a little voice in my head saying “Come on now…you can do this…you can make Becky proud!”)
        k&p Catalano recently posted..POST-ITs, POST-US, INTERUPT-USMy Profile

• Becky August 18, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Glad to hear you’re all feeling better K, and you already have made me proud with the progress you’ve made! I have no doubts you’ll pull this off, you have the dedication. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Dawn August 17, 2013 at 8:22 am #

I agree…the best camera is the one you’ve got when you see something amazing. I have only just now begun figuring out how to use my phone camera. They have come such a long way I have seen some amazing photos taken with a phone. Including many of yours!

I am more a spontaneous photo person. I see something and just KNOW it’s a photo. On rare occasions I see something and then go back when the light is better or I have more time or I have the right camera. It is never ever as good as the original time I saw it.

I have learned that light a moments wait for no one.

6. Dawn August 17, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Sigh…I meant to say light AND moments…
    Dawn recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

• Becky August 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Yeah, I definitely tend towards more spontaneous. When I was at Roaring River in Missouri though I found that fantastic spring coming up out of the ground as the sun was setting and knew I’d need to come back the next day to catch the blueness of it, I was right that time.

7. Jim Morgan August 17, 2013 at 10:27 am #

Let’s see, the 1st one you took as you traveled Mordor. 2nd was in Kansas just before you visited Oz. 3rd one was taken before the sand worm ride you took on Dune. Don’t know about the others.

Your phone takes great pics. Mine always come out fuzzy or shaky. Can’t seem to hold still enough for a good phone camera shot. You seem to do quite well with one.

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digital-Camera-Wide-Angle-Optical/dp/B004L2L6KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376748899&sr=8-1&keywords=Olympus+SZ-10

But it was on sale so I paid, like $120.

As far as OO crashing…it’s very rare in my experience. I’ve been using OO for years. And the few times it’s happened, I was able to restore almost everything using their built in restore function.

I would wonder if you just installed a new piece of software, or a Windows update? Might have had something to do with it.
    Jim Morgan recently posted..Hanging out in Hawaii.My Profile

• Becky August 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Ahh your camera has a zoom though Jim! That’s what I miss most about a ‘real’ camera I think, the iphone has no optical zoom. So landscapes and close ups I can do pretty well, but wildlife photography and the like is difficult, just looks like a dot in the forest. ๐Ÿ˜›

Open Office has done well by me for the most part. Occasionally it crashes but I’ve never not been able to restore the file I was working on before, kind of disheartening.

For anyone wondering what we’re talking about, Open Office is a free software suite that essentially does the same things as Microsoft Office, it can even save files in the same format as Microsoft ones. A good way to save a couple hundred dollars on a computer purchase, and despite yesterday’s crash I still very much recommend it for computers that run on Windows.

8. Steve August 17, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Pictures look great. I’ve enjoyed your story.

• Becky August 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Thanks Steve.

9. Becky August 18, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

First picture is from Roaring River State Park, MO (the part of the river where trout are stocked and one can buy a ticket to fish for them). That little road you see in the background is the one I came I finally came to a stop on when I rode my breaks too long going down into the valley.
    Second is Stoney Crest Plantation Campground in Bluffton, SC, where my RV adventure started. That wall cloud looked vicious (the photo was not altered for effect in any way!) but all we got out of that system was a little wind and some rain.
    Third is my work view at Cedar Pass Lodge in the Badlands, during a particularly awesome sunset.
    Fourth is from the northern part of Custer State Park in the Black Hills (SD).
    Fifth is the sunset view from outside my door at Circle 10 Campground just outside of the Badlands.
    Sixth is Powers Bluff county park near my parent’s house in WI, taken during my Holiday break at the beginning of the year.

10. Kai August 23, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

I have the iPhone 4s as well and it DOES have the panorama feature. Just make sure you have at least ios 6.0.1

You should have an options button in your camara app to pull up the panorama feature

• Becky August 24, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Hmm, I’ll go peek for it, thanks Kai!

11. Rosemary Rizzo September 4, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Wonderful photos. I couldn’t guess any of them. I am getting a Samsung Galaxy 3 as the photo capabilities are real good. Good zoom feature.

• Becky September 6, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Does it have optical zoom though? I haven’t come across a phone yet that had optical zoom (the way camera lenses will pop out when you zoom in on something), my phone does have a little bit of digital zoom but you lose clarity when you use digital zoom so I don’t touch it. If the Galaxy 3 does have optical zoom, that’s pretty awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Furry Gnome November 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Look like great pictures to me, and you’re right, the best camera is the one you have with you. I have a bigger camera, but I reduce the size of the photo files before posting them anyway. I don’t set up many shots, but I do increasingly go on little photography expeditions to try and capture something specific.

• Becky November 7, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Usually I just take my phone with me when I go out and whenever I see something neat I snap a photo. Few of the ones I take are any good because it can be hard to get the same feel from a photo as standing there observing it first hand.