A RVer’s List to Combat Boredom

rv-list-when-boredHere’s a quick and goofy little exercise I thought up this morning when I got back from the shower house and saw that the WiFi here at the campground was down. Oh no, what was I going to do with myself with no internet? Luckily as a full-timer there’s always something to do.

• Take a walk
  • Read a book
  • Introduce yourself to a neighbor
  • Call up someone you haven’t spoken to in a while
  • Take a drive
  • Catch up on cleaning
  • Start/work on that project/hobby you’ve been meaning to do for a while but keep putting off
  • Go online and research/ask in a forum for things to do in the area
  • Spend some quality time with your traveling companion(s)
  • Sit outside, enjoy just being there

Aaaaand below a few more points that were rejected from the main list to keep it useful and serious (I have a reputation to maintain after all):

• Fix something, because if you own a RV there’s a 93.615% chance that right now there’s something on it that either needs fixing, routine maintenance, or modifying.
  • Clean those bugs off the front that have been traveling with you for who knows how long. No, they don’t count as RV decorations, and no, they’re not a collectible item like those stickers you put on for visiting all the states. (Pro tip: Dryer sheets really do work wonders for getting the more stubborn little buggers off of your vehicles, just wet them with water and wipe the goo away!)
  • Turn your radio/boombox up and jam out to Willie Nelson’s “On the Road Again”. As long as your fit of boredom strikes between 8 am and 9 pm that is, because while I think that’s a fantastic song for travelers, you don’t want to be known as that guy in the campground who plays their music way too loud at inappropriate hours. Nobody likes that guy.

Is anyone else out there having a slow day like me? Help relieve your boredom by contributing to this post! I want to hear all about how you keep yourself occupied on the road, both the serious and the silly.

, ,

27 Responses to A RVer’s List to Combat Boredom

1. k&p Catalano July 29, 2013 at 4:58 am #

Great Post!!!
    Hmmm…tips on how to UN-Bore a day…

1- Start a ‘Highlights of my Year’ Letter to include in a holiday greeting card. You’ve got time today to think back on what’s happened to date. Then save it to your desktop and as interesting things occur between now and send off time, just add to it. Then when the time comes to insert it in a holiday email or print and enclose in your snail mail card, it’s already written.

2- Speaking of Greeting cards…start designing one now with a photo or photo collage of your travels. There are lots of programs to decorate it with and you can take the finished image to a Walmart or a Drug store and order real cards printed that you can snail mail out.
    You can even order on line…just upload your image. This might be a good time to do it, especially if you are going to be working long hours at Amazon right up until the holidays.

3- Go get a henna tattoo…there might even be someone in camp that does it on the side.

4- Catch up on your mending (does anyone even darn socks or sew buttons on anymore?)

5- organize a camper’s chili cook-off (any excuse for a party…right)

6- go visit a local thrift shop, you never know what kind of deals you might find or good books to read that you can donate to the employee lounge when you leave.

Just a few thoughts that came to mind…
    k&p Catalano recently posted..My Apologies On The Delay of Part 2My Profile

• Becky July 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

6 great additions! Thanks K for sharing. 😀 I buy pretty much all of my clothes in thrift shops these days, the price is right and you don’t need to visit 10 different stores to find 10 different looks. 🙂

• k&p Catalano July 29, 2013 at 11:59 pm #

Ahhhh…you picked my favorite past-time! Although with our current goals ahead of us, I find that I have to avoid thrift shops like the plague. Thrift shops are to me as heroin is to an addict…yep…thrift shop rehab is a cold and lonely place…

So…what DID you end up doing today?
        k&p Catalano recently posted..ORGANIZING THOSE DREAM STORMED THOUGHTS (PART 2)My Profile

• Becky July 30, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

I edited one full page of my upcoming eguide, which may not sound like much but I’m much better at the writing than at the editing the written stuff to make sense. 😛

I also did laundry, including my sheets which I’ve been putting off for a while, shook out my blanket and rugs, cleaned the floor, and had a coworker over to watch some classic Doctor Who which she has saved on an external hard drive. The internet did come back eventually.

All in all, a pretty good day!

• k&p Catalano July 30, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Doesn’t sound like you had to suffer through one boring minute that I could see. What a lot you got accomplished and had fun too.

Do you have a ‘friendly reader’ for your eguide? Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can spot issues we, as the author, sometimes overlook due to being ‘to close’. Sometimes when I re-read something I’ve written, my brain automatically fills in or corrects what is actually on the page, so I don’t see the mistakes. Also it helps to read what you have written out loud. If a sentence ‘talks’ awkwardly, chances are good there is a better way to write it or fit in an extra comma or two.

looking forward to when you get that eguide finished. I’m sure it’s going to be a lot of valuable info entertainingly presented!

2. Arlon July 29, 2013 at 8:16 am #

Maintain a blog. Teach others to do the same…

• Becky July 29, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

Haha, yeah. That falls under point number 7 for me. 😛

3. cozygirl July 29, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Throw out my yoga mat and hold a plank or two, sort and resort my cabinets and purge some more, practice taking screen tent up and down…few learned into our second week on the road. Another helpful post Becky!

• Becky July 29, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

Heya Carla! Looks like your start on the road is going well so far, excusing the inevitable few bumps everyone experiences when they first start out full-timing. I hope you aren’t too disheartened to hear that I’m still going through Cas’ cabinets and pulling out stuff I don’t really need, even having lived in it for over a year now. It’s an ongoing process, but at least it isn’t the mad rush like it was to get everything out of the apartment to make the initial move. 🙂

4. Kim July 29, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Great list. Such is life – always bugs on the windshield.
    Kim recently posted..Road Brew RedoMy Profile

• Becky July 29, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

It’s funny to watch the little sparow-things at work pick them off of the front of people’s vehicles when they roll in. Those birds raise their young under the eaves of the Lodge and I think survive primarily on the road kill bug buffet. 😛

5. Reine July 29, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Work a jigsaw puzzle. In an RV you ask??? Absolutely. I got a Jigsort 500 http://www.puzzleorganizer.com/Items/jig001?sck= and absolutely love it. You can start a puzzle and then pack it up out of the way to get out and work on the next time you have a “what do I do now” time. I got mine from Amazon but they only show the 1000 piece one right now. Since we’re NOT full timers, I’m starting a collection of neat jigsaw puzzles from the National Parks that I can work at home to bring back fun memories.

• Becky July 29, 2013 at 11:47 pm #

Ooooh, a fun project Reine. 🙂 We sell a Badlands puzzle at the Lodge, it’s a pretty good seller.

6. Robert July 29, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit. Good for what ails you.

• Becky July 29, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

Yep indeedy. Sometimes you just need quiet time to do nothing at all.

7. John of Sinbad and I on the Loose July 29, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Wow! Like the dryer sheet tip. I’ll have to give that a try. Thanks for that. I assume it isn’t brand specific.
    John of Sinbad and I on the Loose recently posted..Helen KellerMy Profile

• Becky July 29, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

Nope John any brand will do as far as I know. I think mine are Bounce, just because that’s what was on sale. 🙂 You will want to go back over with with water after wiping down with the sheet to get all the residue off, but it’s no scrubbing required!

8. Ross Macintosh July 29, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

Bored? Get drunk and watch the pink elephants.

[A couple years ago I went to an all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic. It was nice but the glaring sun, pristine beach & mile-long buffet was a little boring. I headed for the pool bar and asked the bar tender for a ‘Long Island Ice Tea’. He looked at me with deep, caring, concern and said “I’m sorry sir but this bar doesn’t open until 8am”. It was just a little after 7am…]
    Ross Macintosh recently posted..painting the trailer…My Profile

• Becky July 29, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

A lot of my coworkers follow your advice, but it isn’t for me. Well occasionally I’ll have a single drink (and yes, I’ve never in all my life had more than one in a night), but alcohol isn’t cheap and I like to remember my evening the next day.

Nothing quite like a frozen margarita next to a campfire with good friends though, gotta admit. 🙂

9. TravelBug-Susan July 30, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

1. Watch a movie
    2. Read magazines
    3. Make a travel wish list on Word, update it all the time as you read blogs and get new ideas
    4. Take a nap
    5. Cook up something you’ve never made before
    6. Play with the pets
    7. Learn a new game or skill
    TravelBug-Susan recently posted..McAllister Park, San Antonio, TX – Sun., July 28My Profile

• Becky August 1, 2013 at 11:29 am #

Sounds like a good list Susan. As for point #3 I have one of those as well, it seems to be getting longer rather than shorter though, haha. So many places to see, so little time…

10. Regis July 30, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

We ride our bikes on trails,into towns or just around country roads exploring the area where we camp. Then there is the dog to walk or maybe walking other people’s dogs. Gosh, sometimes I’ll even pick up trash or clean up the bathroom. I like to leave the world a better place than I found it.,

• Becky August 1, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Awfully nice of you to clean up after others Regis, so many people don’t seem to clean up after themselves these days, it’s a shame.

I’ve thought about buying a bike, I think it would fit in the back of Bertha, but it would definitely require some rearranging of my stuff back there.

11. Pleinguy July 31, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Things I do with my time include drawing and painting, photography, reading, playing solitaire, doing crossword puzzles, route planning for the next leg of my journey, hiking. I do a lot of things on the internet, but when that is not available these other things keep me busy.

Wish I knew where your friend got inexpensive copies of Dr Who to watch. Have you priced the DVDs lately? Wow!

Another interesting post. You really are good at this Becky.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Blue Ridge MountainsMy Profile

• Becky August 1, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Yeah, it’s not a cheap show! She got them from her parents, how much her parents paid I don’t know.

I guess I could add photography to my list too. I just have my phone camera, but I try to make the most of it.

12. LenSatic August 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Learn to draw. It’s a great way to remember a location because it makes you focus you full attention on the subject. Taking pictures, you are just aiming a camera.

Here’s Betty Edward’s youtube “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkRwRDdajo You can also order her book or pick it up at a book store.

• Becky August 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Thanks Pat,

I use to draw frequently when I was younger, I sort of grew out of it though – too much frustration with how a drawing looked in my head vs. how (un)well I could express it on paper. Writing works better for me in that respect, but I should probably still try on occasion. 🙂