Lakeside View

This past weekend I drove up to Myrtle Beach for the wedding of two good friends of mine, John and Tai. Part of my stipulation for taking the job at Lowe’s last January was that I’d be able to get this specific weekend off. One of the great things about a mobile lifestyle is that it allows to be where you need to be when you need to be. It was a little chilly, but otherwise the weather behaved at the wedding and reception both went well and were a lot of fun.

The wedding was Saturday evening, and Julie and I were invited to brunch at Tai’sย parent’s house the next morning, so we truck camped Saturday night in Bertha, something I haven’t done since picking up Cas.

Hauling Cas all the way out there to dry camp for just one night didn’t seem worth it. I’d had to pull all of the RVing gear out of the back at leave it at Julie’s apartment so that there would be room for us to sleep back there, but it went well. We found a lovely spot with a lakeside view โ€“ the first lakeside view I’ve had since I started RVing, it was in a good neighborhood, and there were a lot of ducks, geese, and other water birds around. A great find!

lakeside-view-4Oh, and did I mention it was a Walmart parking lot? In my brain, Walmart and lakeside view don’t mesh, but here it is. If you ever find yourself needing a place to stay in North Myrtle Beach, the Walmart off of Highway 17 is the place to be.

On Sunday, I came back to highs in the lower 80’s and relatively humidities nearing 100%, gah. Leaves are now out on the trees in force, early spring is over and as Georgia and South Carolina inch closer to summer the more uncomfortable it’ll get. It’s definitely feeling like time to start moving north to cooler climes. I took a look on Wunderground and to see what the Badlands were looking like right now, and got a surprise.

Apparently the Badlands is experiencing record-breaking snowfall in the grip of a significant spring storm. As of 9 am, 7.1 inches had fallen in the past 24 hours and they’re predicting another 7-12 inches between today and tonight. Add winds gusting to over 30 mph and it sounds like a proper mess. For those of you counting, it’s 11 days until I arrive there, 13 until I start working. I’m really hoping this will all be melted by then.

lakeside-view-2Otherwise, things are progressing toward takeoff next week. Bertha’s got a new set of tires, my new friction pad is in the mail, and today I got the black tank clean clean. I’m hoping to do the first step in sanitizing my fresh water tank tomorrow, I haven’t used it once since I bought the Casita because there is visible mold or something on the water inlet hose and exit hose. The tank itself is opaque, but I can only assume it’s not too nice looking in there either. Having it winterized and in below freezing temperatures to travel to Wisconsin should have killed all that stuff off I would think, but I still gotta get it out of there, and with temps on the rise down here it’s possible more will start growing. In the end, I might have to get the hoses replaced somehow if the yuck won’t come out, I’m not sure I can stand to use the tank with it in there even if it’s dead and not going to cause me any harm.

Today I also got pictures of Hardeeville RV, the park I’ve been staying in the past couple months. I’ll be doing a review of the place coming up, time permitting.

That’s all for now, back to work!

, , ,

16 Responses to Lakeside View

1. cozygirl April 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Oh dear you are leaving pretty quick….let’s hope it’s the last snowstorm of their season.
    cozygirl recently posted..SURVIVED the saleโ€ฆand had a blast!My Profile

• Becky April 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Yeah Carla I’m really hoping so! I’ve got the Badlands bookmarked on my iphone’s weather app and I’m watching it like a hawk. Looks like when I get there lows will be be dipping into the mid-upper 20’s but highs should be 50 or above, not too much different than what December was like in Coffeyville and I survived that. Of course being as far away as that is a lot could still change.

2. Teri April 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Spring storms usually do not linger. I hope the weather clears up for your travels. I love the Badlands and have always wanted to stay there during a full moon.
    Teri recently posted..Summer JobMy Profile

• Becky April 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Thanks Teri, I’m hoping you’re right. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. gerald April 9, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

I use a 1/2 cup of clorox with thirty gallons of water, let it set for a day then ruun it through the line with the pump. Then I run 30 gallons of freshh water to push the clorox water out of the lines.

• Becky April 10, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Sounds about like the ‘recipe’ I found on the internet Gerald. Sadly my current fresh water hose isn’t long enough to reach the inlet so I wasn’t able to do it today. Not sure if I’ll buy a longer hose or wait until I arrive there. Decisions decisions. ๐Ÿ˜›

4. Pleinguy April 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

Sounds like you are ready to go. Hope the gig in the Badlands suits you well. Have fun and I look forward to your reports. I am now living in my RV, and counting the days until retirement.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Weekend EscapeMy Profile

• Becky April 10, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Heya Plein, so glad to hear that things are going well for you! Sounds like you had a nice weekend even though it wasn’t one of the parks you’d originally hoped for. Thanks for the wellwishes and of course I’ll keep you guys all updated on how the job goes.

5. george April 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Looking at the seven day forecast for Rapid City, it looks like you may still have snow on the ground when you arrive ! Roads should be clear by then though I would think.

Regarding your fresh water tank cleaning, if I were you, I’d replace the hoses. Should be easy enough and just a couple of clamps holding them on ? How about if you rinsed the tank thoroughly a few times while you are still down yonder, then empty it, and put maybe two or three gallons of water with a pretty high dose of bleach in it for the trip north. Hopefully the drive north will give you a good sloshing/cleaning, then when you get up there, do a proper drain-rinse-sanitize-drain-rinse-rinse-rinse ?
    I’m with you on that… I’d want to get it spick and span before using it.

• Becky April 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

Yeah I’m thinking about putting a little water with some bleach in it and driving with it like that George, if it works to clean the black tank seems like it should work for the fresh tank too. ๐Ÿ˜›

As for the hoses, it looks like clamps of some sort, this is one of those jobs I’m afraid of doing myself though because if I don’t get the clamps back on juuuust right I’ll end up with leaks and I really don’t want to risk that. I’ll figure something out.

6. traveler063 April 10, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

To sanitize my 30 gallon fresh water tank and water lines using 1/2 cup of clorox with 30 gallons of water. I let it set for a day then run it through the lines sanitizing them too. After I’ve sanitized the system then I flush the tank and lines with 30 gallons of fresh water.

• Becky April 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

Yep, that’s the standard recipe I’ve found online traveler, here’s hoping it’ll do the trick. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Mark Sundstrom April 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

“May you live in interesting times” … and the upcoming weather where you are headed certainly looks interesting! I’m sure it will turn out fine and winter really has to be over pretty soon, and I know you’ll keep your eyes open, but here’s a weather blogger I’ve found who has been great at keeping track of things: “Mike Smith Enterprises Blog”

Mark Sundstrom recently posted..RocketsMy Profile

• Becky April 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Yeah, being from Wisconsin I’m not terribly worried. Just another occasion for my new favorite motto: Whatever happens, I’ll deal with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Jim May 5, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

Ha, well usually I stay in one of my favorite hotels in North Myrtle Beach SC, but I might have to give them up for a nice view from the WalMart parking lot!

• Becky May 6, 2013 at 8:53 pm #