A Real Day Off

a-real-day-offYesterday I enjoyed a lovely day at the beach. I woke up bright and early, packed some snacks and my computer, and drove over an hour out to Hunting Island State Park.

When I arrived, it was sunny and 69 degrees. New leaves are starting to appear on the trees, the birds were singing, and all was right in the world. I parked by the lighthouse, and strolled down to the beach and made a turn north to walk along the shore.

The tide was on the higher side, but not so high that I couldn’t make it through the submerged forest. As always, it looked different than any other time I’ve been through there and was a photographer’s dream. After that came the salt marsh and stream, covered over with sand to make it easy to pass, and after that, the campground.

I still enjoy walking through campgrounds, even now that I have my RV and aren’t looking at the various options anymore. Nearly everyone I pass gives me a smile and a friendly wave or hello. It’s not hard to figure out why people are in such good spirits. This is quite possibly the warmest day the island has seen so far this year, and the wind is keeping the bugs away, good camping weather.

After that I returned to the truck and drove to the south end of the island, where the hiking trails are. I put on my toe shoes, and wandered along the trails for a while enjoying the views of the forest and lagoon while some afternoon clouds started rolling in. I saw at least four different species of birds along the way.

Then there was a quick stop to the other side of the island that faces the salt marsh, and then back to Julie’s place for pet sitting duties since she’s out of town this weekend. Along the drive back I stopped at a McDonalds, it might not be good food, but I like it on occasion and don’t get it often. It was a treat to myself.

Normally my days off don’t look like this. I plan out the day off ahead of time, and I spend it working just as hard as I do on days at my job. I’m still in the middle of a job search, still trying to write a ebook, and still have maintenance things to do on Cas. My To Do list feels like it’s about a mile long and I’m one of those people who gets antsy when there’s lots of things sitting on my To Do list.

The point I’m trying to make is, I bet when you read this you sighed wistfully and thought about how great things were going to be when you had the time to have a day like my yesterday. I’m here to tell you that if your life is as busy as mine is, that day will never come. Don’t wait until you have the time, make the time.

Learn from yesterday, and plan for tomorrow. But don’t forget that we all live in today. If you’re working so hard at achieving your dreams that you fail to have any fun in the process, you’re missing the point.

And the benefits of a real day off don’t end when the day is over. I’ve found that having a day off like that on occasion with no work and no strings attached usually leaves me energized and ready to tackle problems I’ve been struggling with. With a clearer mind it’ll be easier now to pick the things from my list that really need working on in the coming week and I’ll be more efficient at it.

Maybe you aren’t on the road yet or aren’t as close to a scenic destination like Hunting Island, but I bet there’s somewhere nearby you’ve been wanting to visit. How long has it been since you gave yourself a real day off?

Oh, and I took a lot of video at Hunting Island to share with you all. I was hoping to have it all uploaded in time for today’s post, but sadly the internet is being pokey and has other thoughts. When it’s all up and ready to go I’ll stick it up on the Videos page and update this post to let you all know.

, , , ,

14 Responses to A Real Day Off

1. Tina March 18, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

Hi Becky,

Great post! Love this, will post on my wall so I see it everyday as a reminder. I did get out a little this weekend to Half Moon Bay in Northern CA. It was just a walk on a trail but was nice to get away, hear the birds, animals and clear my head.

I thought of you and RV Sue as I saw 3 Casita’s on my walk. Funny you say about checking out the RV’s in camp grounds as that is what I was doing … ha ha ha.

Still trying to figure out what rig and rolling home to get. It will be a while before I hit the road.

Have a good week and good luck with your job search,

• Becky March 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Glad you liked it Tina! I think I use to drive my friends a little nuts when I’d insist on seeing the campground part of any park we visited, not because I wanted to see if it was a campground I’d want to stay in but to look at rigs. 😛

I’ve never been to California, but that sounds like a nice walk indeed! My advice is to take as much time as you need to choose a rig, if you try to rush the process you’ll probably be sorry later. Good luck with the search and keep us updated!

2. Evelyn March 18, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

A day like you had can rejuvenate one for a long time. Everyone needs some time to recharge the batteries. Glad you have figured that out at your young age and are doing it!!
    Evelyn recently posted..Another VolksmarchMy Profile

• Becky March 19, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

Yep! Definitely recommended on occasion.

3. David March 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Glad to hear things are going good for you and yes I agree that you need to get it done when you have the time as when you get older it seems to go by faster so GET – ER – DONE.
    Like you I (we) are full time at 54yrs old, Thanks to a job cut back after 21 yrs we lost everything but the camper (30 ft 5th wheel), Truck 01 Dodge 3500 and our car. house, farm, and all equipment is gone so we’re starting over in Nashville, TN. after leaving 6 kids and 12 grand kids back in Illinois for a job here in TN. that still hasn’t come through but still looks promising so I staying, may be sending Momma back to see her kids and G-kids but I’m staying.
    Enjoy your post, just wish I could write as good as you so I could blog myself.

• Becky March 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Yeah the economy hasn’t been making it easy to find jobs right now, even temporary ones. Best of luck you you and your wife in TN, I hope things come together for you!

4. Kim and Jerry Portelli March 18, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

What a great spot to spend a day! Jerry and I LOVE state parks and we love staying in them too. We have found that most of them have large sites with lots of space in-between them.

Glad you are doing well and as always, take care!!
    Kim and Jerry Portelli recently posted..Honey Do And MoreMy Profile

• Becky March 19, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Hunting Island is one of my favorite places to visit. It was entirely by accident that Julie and I ended up living just a half hour from it when we first moved to SC, we went out to visit a few days after moving when when we learned of it’s existence and I think our jaws dropped when we arrived.

Hope things are going well for you two down there in Arizona! Do you have summer jobs lined up yet?

5. Shan & Brian @ ShanzShack March 19, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Sounds like a lovely day!

• Becky March 19, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

Oh it was. 😀 I’m so fortunate to be able to live close to a place like Hunting Island.

6. PamelaP March 19, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

A great reminder to all of us to stop and smell the roses!

• Becky March 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

Yes Pamela. It’s moments like this that you’ll remember on your death bed. Not the daily list of chores or prep work for bigger things.

7. Pleinguy March 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

I’m looking forward to some easy going days like that. Thanks for sharing. It’s still a little ways off for me; but getting closer all the time.
    Pleinguy recently posted..A Plan Comes TogetherMy Profile

• Becky March 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Glad to hear that things are coming together for you Plein! I hope that motorhome you’re looking at today meets all your specifications, how exciting.