Another Door Opens

another-door-opensJust as expected, that too did pass. That too meaning the job hunt that I’ve been on the past three weeks. Well, sort of anyway.

Last Wednesday I got a call back from Lowes, the place I had interviewed at the week before. They wanted me to come in the next day to give me a drug test and an offer, in that order. Expecting to have to fill a little plastic cup, I came armed and ready to, well, you know. And then the drug test turned out to be a mouth swab instead. Less embarrassing, but it meant I had to sit through the whole meeting with the hiring manager pushing down a strong need to use the restroom, it was a bit distracting. And maybe this is all TMI (to much information), but darnit, it was the top thing on my mind as I was reading over the pay (pitiful), and asking if I’d be able to get weekends off occasionally (yes).

I don’t officially get hired until the drug test results come back tomorrow. Then Tuesday is orientation day, and Wednesday I’ll be working a full day on training materials. Beyond that, I haven’t the foggiest.

Did I say that the job hunt was only sort of over? Yes. Like Best Buy, this job isn’t a living wage, even working full-time I won’t be making as much as I spend in a month. But it’s infinitely better than the $0.00/hr that I was making all of January. I’m still hoping the Forest Service gets back to me about those summer positions within the next couple months, because those all would be a living wage. In the meantime, I’ll be hustling to piece together something else to start earning money from.

By the way, if you’re looking for seasonal work, the Lowes jobs aren’t a bad place to start, especially if you already have some money coming in another way and don’t need to rely on it as your sole source of income. Lowes all over the country are doing a sort of mass hiring right now to pick up people to work during their busiest time of the year. The one down in Jacksonville, FL called me too to set up an interview but by then the one up here was already giving me an offer. It is a contract type position, mine was written down as 5-6 months.

Now there is work to be done. I’m playing live-in cat sitter for Julie’s boys this weekend while she’s out of town. Tomorrow, I’ll be picking up Cas from her coworker’s place and taking it to the nearby Camping World to get un-winterized and get a couple other small things taken care of. After orientation on Tuesday I’ll pick him up from Camping World, and drive to my new home base, more details to follow. At this point, I haven’t been living in Cas for over five weeks and it feels kind of strange, it’ll be nice to be ‘home’ again.

Oh, and my new drive to work is going to take me through a beautiful wildlife refuge. It’s the little things sometimes.

, , , , , ,

19 Responses to Another Door Opens

1. Todd February 3, 2013 at 10:50 am #

Congratulations on the new gig. How unfortunate it is that these employers can’t figure out that living wages & benefits attract quality, long term employees.

• Becky February 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

Yeah, oh well. Their loss. 😛 I don’t dwell on it much because long term isn’t my goal and I’m still going to be keeping an eye out for higher paying short term opportunities.

2. MARVIN February 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Good move – now you have some room to manuver !
    Hope the Forest Service works out .
    Be Safe

• Becky February 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

I hope so too Marvin, thanks!

3. Jim February 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Have you thought about gate guarding? There are 12 hour gates available for singles.
    Here is a great forum for more info-

Good Luck!

• Becky February 4, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

I’d peeked at it before briefly but all the jobs I’d found before were for couples because the gates needed to be watched 24 hours which is impossible for one person. Thanks Jim.

4. Regis February 4, 2013 at 7:32 am #

You should listen to Dawes song “It’s a little bit of everything”

• Becky February 4, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

Hehe, I’ll check it out Regis.

5. Kim and Jerry Portelli February 4, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Congratulations on securing a job! For the time being, that should be a little weight lifted off your shoulders. I hope you hear back from the Forest Service though :).

• Becky February 4, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

Thanks, and yes to both. I’ll be losing money but at a much slower pace so it gives me more time to find other things. And yes I hope I do hear back from the Forest Service.

6. cozygirl February 4, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Lowes and Menards…can roam in those stores forever back in my remodeling days! Nice gig to get you by but hoping you hear from the Forest Service soon! They don’t know what they are missing not hiring you !!

• Becky February 4, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

Last time I applied for a job with the US gov (couple years ago) it took them months to get back to me (with offers for three different places), but by then I’d found something else. Hope you’re doing well Cozy and yes I will be getting back to you soon I promise!

7. Kristine February 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

I bought the RV!!!!! the spree 240RBS so excited and overwhelmed at all I have to do, get truck, move out of house, sell stuff, yard sale move into RV in March and get dogs used to it. Keep it all a secret from work…. LOL………..but I am so happy and excited to hit the road.

Glad you got a job, Im looking in Mass for waitressing jobs for summer season. leaving corporate world and cant wait!! amen!!

Talk soon.Kristine

• Becky February 4, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

Eee, congrats Kristine! You’ll remember this day forever, such a big step towards something new. Yeah, at that stage sometimes things move faster than you’ll feel like you can keep up with. Focus on the biggest things, the absolutely must do’s, and if some of the smaller stuff falls by the wayside for now don’t sweat it, you can get back to it later when things have settled down.

If you find the right restaurant, waitressing can pull in a good amount of money. My very first job involved waitressing, I didn’t like it and thus wasn’t very good at it, but I had a friend who made a killing at it, money wise.

• Diane February 15, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Hi Kristine,
      Just found Bcky’s website tonight when I Googled living in a Casita. I live in central MA. What part of the state are you looking for waitressing jobs in?

8. carol February 5, 2013 at 1:38 am #

Congrats on the job … at least it takes some pressure off, and as you say, you won’t have to draw as much from your savings. During the interview did they ask why you were applying for a postion that was so different from your schooling and work history? Or do they not get so caught up in the usual interview process given that ii’s contract work?

Are you also considering state and parks as well as the forest service? and the concessionaires at national parks are hire for the summer, some have RV spaces available for employees. Aramark seems to be the most prominent. Good luck with your new job. Hope things go smoothly.

• Becky February 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Thanks Carol. Nope, no they didn’t ask me about that, but then again I worked retail (Best Buy) for a while last year so it wasn’t unprecedented.

And yes I’ll be peeking at state parks and other summer opportunities too, although I already know Aramarks wages aren’t much better than Lowes, I’d looked at them in the past. Thanks for the well wishes. 🙂

9. Ross Macintosh February 9, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

I hope you didn’t eat a poppy-seed bagel before the drug test!

• Becky February 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Haha, I’d heard that that had been proven a myth and that poppy seeds dont’ affect drug tests anymore. Wasn’t going to risk it though. 😉