Holiday Update

holiday-updateI hope everyone had a good holiday, I know I am!

The trip up to Wisconsin was uneventful. Google thought it should take 9 hours and 48 minutes to drive the 640ish miles from Coffeyville to Madison, so I figured it’d be 12 hours pulling the RV since I go a maximum of 60 mph, closer to 13 once food, bathroom, and gas stops were factored in.

I pulled out of Big Chief minutes before noon, and pulled up to Julie’s parents house in Madison minutes before midnight, making this my longest driving day to date. I opted not to stop for dinner at all and was awake enough the whole trip to not need caffeine, so extra bathroom breaks were not required. There were two quick stops for gas, between $50 and $55 both times, and that was it.

It wasn’t exactly fun, but also wasn’t as brutal as I thought it might be. ย Here’s a tip for all you potential RVers out there, think about the comfort of the seats for whichever motorhome or tow vehicle you want to buy. ย You’ll be in them for longer periods of time than normal commuters, and there’s nothing worse than a uncomfortable seat when you’re stuck in it for hours at a time. ย Bertha’s seat are more comfortable than the seats in any previous vehicle I have owned, and that made a huge difference in my mood during the drive.

Snow was first sighted on the ground around Kansas City, but it didn’t become what I would call significant snow until the sun was going down at Des Moines. Luck was with me, because the roads were clear the whole way. Even once I got up near Madison where a foot of snow had fallen just two days before. The back roads on the way to my destination for the night weren’t as well plowed, but that was just minutes of driving and not hours, so I’m okay with that. This picture was taken outside of Julie’s parents’ house in Madison, where I spent Saturday and Sunday night before driving the last two hours to Rapids on Christmas eve.

I’m waiting for my last check from Amazon on the 4th before I do my final review of the CamperForce experience, so that’s on the way. But first and most important on my list of things to do is get searching for my next gig, I’m hoping to have something lined up by the time I leave Wisconsin on the 7th or 8th. Then there is also the matter of my Annual Review to go over, and start planning what I want to do in 2013, but finding that first job is the first step.

Have a good weekend everyone!

, , , ,

20 Responses to Holiday Update

1. cozygirl December 27, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

YOU GO GIRL!!! So glad you made it with no mishaps and landed safely. Surrounded by family and friends now until the next gig. So proud of you…can’t wait to hear about the next journey!

• Becky December 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Thanks Cozy!

It wasn’t entirely without mishaps, just nothing significant. I have to do a little riveting again, because the cover for my front A/C vent tore the metal holder out in one corner, real hard to explain what happened without pictures. Also lost my propane cover (although that was falling apart and needed replacing anyway), and forgot to dump my cup of crystal light in the fridge out, it tipped over and spilled but fortunately it was in a removable shelf that is easy to clean.

Working on what happens next now, it’s an exciting time. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Sherry December 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

You and your rig look great! Glad to hear that all went well although a 12 hour drive is way beyond me. I thought an 8 hour one was never going to end when I drove from Chautauqua NY to Charlottesville Virginia and that was in June. Snowy roads at night, count me out. You are a wonder!
    Sherry recently posted..Sunday PaddleMy Profile

• Becky December 28, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

When I did all my driving the past fall I didn’t drive much after nightfall, because I had a tendency to get tired driving after dark. But working nights made it not an issue. And comfy seats really do help. ๐Ÿ˜›

Have fun down there in Florida!

3. Marvin December 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Sounds like your trip was well planned and well executed – the 12 hours would be a 2 day run for me .
    Have a safe New Years !

• Becky December 28, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

You too Marvin!

4. Kim December 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Great photo! Glad you made it without incident (and a happy behind).
    Kim recently posted..T-Minus 2. Or Maybe 3.My Profile

• Becky December 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Thanks Kim, 12 inches of snow does make for a pretty scene. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Evelyn December 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

I also have a red winter coat to wear “up north”. It took us 12 hours to get to Moorhead, Minnesota and we were also lucky to have good roads. We leave tomorrow to head back to Big Chief to pick up our fifth wheel on our way to Mission, Texas. Glad you are having a nice holiday visit. Good luck in the job search.
    Evelyn recently posted..Christmas JoyMy Profile

• Becky December 28, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Yeah, if the roads had been even a little off it would have slowed me down considerably and I don’t think I could have managed much more than 13 hours driving. I wouldn’t have been able to sleep in the RV overnight with temps that cold, so it would have meant a hotel stay.

I hope your drive back South is equally uneventful, have a good time in Texas!

6. Fireman Steve December 28, 2012 at 11:02 am #

I’m happy to hear you made it safely. good luck on finding your next gig.
    Happy New year…

• Becky December 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Thanks Steve! A happy new year to you too.

7. Regina December 28, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Glad your trip was uneventful and you arrived safely. We have been getting Workamper News and there are quite a few jobs for the winter season. I hope you will find one you want.
    Have a happy new year and keep on RVing.

• Becky December 29, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

I’m sure I’ll find something suitable. ๐Ÿ™‚ You have a good new year too.

8. Kim and Jerry Portelli December 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Too funny!! We also, are waiting until we receive our last check before writing our final review of Amazon. We’ll be anxious to hear about your next work camping job when you get it lined up!!

• Becky December 29, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

For the sake of completeness it just makes sense to me to wait. ๐Ÿ˜›

It probably won’t be a traditional work camping job, as those don’t pay the bills. Who knows though.

9. Marcia December 28, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Happy New Year! Can’t wait to hear about your plans for 2013.

• Becky December 29, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

You too Marcia. ๐Ÿ™‚

I can already say I likely won’t have all of 2013 mapped out until probably December of next year, one thing at a time…

10. Tina December 29, 2012 at 3:46 am #

Glad to hear you made it okay, wow I don’t know how you made that drive. What a long day. Many blessings to you in 2013 Becky!

• Becky December 29, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Yeah it was a long day! But seeing friends and family at the end of it makes it worth it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks and I hope your 2013 likewise brings you closer to where you want to be.