Caroling Through the Snow

caroling-through-the-snowYesterday’s unexpected overtime has left me with less time that I planned on having to get Cas ready to roll on Saturday.

It’s an interesting logistical equation. I’m not going to be living in Cas for the 2-ish weeks I’m up in Wisconsin, due to the climate. This means I needed to get Cas winterized, but also I’ll have to pull some stuff out of him while I’m staying with friends and family. Besides just clothes to wear, there’s the question of all the food in my fridge and all the cleaning supplies, bathroom stuff, electronics, and other things that could get damaged by persistent freezing.

So I’m going to have to pack that kind of stuff up and take it with me. But I can’t pack it up too far ahead of time or I’ll have no room to move around inside the trailer. It’ll probably get moved up to the heated cab of the truck Saturday when I wake up.

Tomorrow (well, later today now) I’m running into town for gas so I start with a full tank, I’ll also be picking up ice for the Styrofoam cooler I bought last Sunday for the remaining food that could spoil. I tried to plan everything so that I’m running out of most of my refrigerated food by the time I leave, but there will still be some things. Once it’s all moved to the cooler, I turn off the fridge and start defrosting it. Hopefully with the heater blowing in there I can get it all de-iced before I have to go to work, I’ll need to keep an eye on it because there’s nothing to catch the melt, it’ll run out onto the floor and make a mess if I don’t keep mopping it up. Laundry will also be getting done at the campground around this.

Then Friday before work I’ll get Cas all hitched up, a process that takes a good hour to hour and a half and start packing things. When I get done with work at 4 am on Saturday I’ll head right to bed and sleep for a while, but probably not until my usual 1 – 2 pm. I think I’ll aim for maybe a 10 am wakeup. Then I unhook the electric, sweep the floors, put the outdoor floor mat away, throw the cold sensitive stuff into Bertha, and take off.

Then I pray that the roads are plowed and pick up caffeine, because as I type Madison is under a blizzard warning with snowfall totals expected to be at 12-18 inches by the end of the day, and that’s my stop for Saturday night. Under good road conditions pulling the RV, the drive from Coffeyville to Madison would take 12 hours. If the roads are still bad, well, it’ll take longer. If I get on the road by 11:30 I get to Madison between midnight and 1 am, because I’ll have to stop for food and gas. Luckily Julie’s family is okay with me showing up at an odd hour, much thanks!

Then Sunday after catching lunch with Julie (who’s flying in from South Carolina to visit her family) and other friends, I take Bertha and Cas the last two hours to Rapids where my parents live. A friend of the family nearby has a huge pole shed that I will be storing Cas in for the duration of my visit, although I’m hoping to get some good pictures of the rig outside in all that snow before tucking him away.

The past two days I’ve been doing something different at Amazon, something that isn’t stowing for a change! I was a runner for ISS, armed with problem tickets, tape, and a camera, and was sent running around taking pictures of products. I’ll be writing more about that when I have a bit more time.

Until then, have a good weekend! It was snowing on the drive home from Amazon a half hour ago, and it’s very windy right now. Drive safe (and yes, I’ll be driving safe too) and take care everyone in the path of Draco.

Image courtesy of CmdrGravy

, , , , ,

22 Responses to Caroling Through the Snow

1. Redeye December 20, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Burrr…. Head south young lady.

• Becky December 21, 2012 at 5:45 am #

Can’t, not yet. Family and friends for the holidays are more important. πŸ™‚

2. Marvin December 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Smooth and Steady – do not worry about the clock , you are on your schedule . If the weather is marginal , stop for a coffee break and a nap !

Merry Christmas – Be Safe !

• Becky December 21, 2012 at 5:46 am #

Hee, I’ll be safe Marvin, thanks! Merry Christmas to you too. πŸ™‚

3. Todd December 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

We have at least 12″ in Randolph WI. Slow & steady, safe travels, Happy Holidays.

• Becky December 21, 2012 at 5:46 am #

Happy Holidays Todd! Least I won’t need to worry about having a white Christmas.

4. Teri December 21, 2012 at 4:15 am #

Have you considered storing the trailer somewhere rather than tow it through snow. Its difficult enough keeping a car or truck steady on the snowy roads. Have a safe trip and Happy Holidays.
    Teri recently posted..Altamira OrioleMy Profile

• Becky December 21, 2012 at 5:47 am #

Thought about it, but I’m planning to head SE after the holidays, not back SW, so not only would I be paying more to store it somewhere, I’d have to spend more gas and time to drive out of the way to get it.

Happy Holidays to you too!

5. Dennis Smith December 21, 2012 at 10:21 am #

None of your electronic will be harmed by cold weather. Leave them where they are. They are shipped around the world in unheated containers and they work fine when you plug them in. All I would do before I power them up if they are below freezing is to warm them up for a couple of hours before you turn them on.

• Becky December 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Thanks Dennis, good to know. πŸ™‚

6. Fireman Steve December 21, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Merry Christmas Becky. Have a safe journey…….

• Becky December 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Thanks Steve! I actually did make it in exactly 12 hours. It was a pretty uneventful trip, which was fine with me. I do have another rivet that needs fixing though, a tiny one on my front A/C outside vent.

7. travelfables December 22, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Have fun Becky, I hope you have a good time with your family. I’ve been hanging out with the Family and old gaming gang as well. The old gang and I went to see the Hobbit. We are all big sci-fi/ fantasy nerds so it was a nice get-together for us. It has turned cold here in North Georgia as well. Had to bypass and winterize my water heater- and holding tanks. My camper has great heat inside though. I’m heading south after Christmas, to somewhere warmer.
    travelfables recently posted..prince edward island walk A7My Profile

• Becky December 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

I’m staying in Madison another night with friends, went sledding today and it was a lot of fun. πŸ™‚ It’s nice after all the working I’ve done to have some down time.

I really enjoyed the Hobbit, looking forward to seeing it again with family. πŸ™‚

8. Reine December 22, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Becky, your fridge is the manual one just like we have. The little tray under the freezer drains to the outside so you should have minimal to no need to “mop up” when you defrost it. A hand towel in the bottom of the fridge is sufficient. Besides, if you’re traveling in sub-freezing temps, then it may not defrost at all.

Safe travels. Remember that MythBusters proved that driving while tired is just as dangerous as driving while drunk. If you get tired, pull over and rest.

Have a Blessed Christmas

• Becky December 23, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Well the freezer part gets very frosty on mine and when that melts it runs out the front, so yeah it makes a mess if I don’t keep at it. it’s probably because the seal isn’t so good anymore. Not a big enough hassle to fix it yet though. πŸ˜›

And I made the full 12 hours without getting tired, there’s one benefit to working nights at least.

• Reine December 23, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

Do you have a tray under the freezer? Our 2000 has a tray in the fridge under the freezer that has a drain through the back wall of the fridge that drains out under the camper beside the step. I’m wondering if that part is missing from your fridge. Once it gets warmer, I’ll take a picture of the inside and send it to you via the Casita Forum.

• Becky December 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

I have a tray under it in the back, but not the front which is where the majority of the frost happens.

9. Dave December 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Happy trails! Have a fun and safe trip up to see family. Thanks for the window on the Amazon world, it’s been fun reading about it.

We went camping last weekend at a nearby Corps park and I chatted with a Casita owner who was also camping. He had it all figured out: He stores the camper a mile from the park, and pretty much camps only at that park. Minimal fuss (but I’d get bored camping in the same spot all the time).

I guess there are as many ways to use RVs as there are RVers.

• Becky December 23, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Indeed there are Dave! I’m with you though, I want to see new places.

I have pictures coming of the Casita with all the snow up here as a backdrop, this is a place RVers don’t come much in the winter. πŸ˜‰

10. Cherylyn December 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Your thoughtful and informative blog is an encouragement to my own efforts to get ready to full-time. Wishing you a wonderful time with family. Safe travels.

• Becky December 23, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Thank you Cherylyn! I’m glad you’re finding it helpful, and you have a good holiday as well.