Music For The Road

Whenever I get a post comment from someone who links to their blog using CommentLuv I make a point of peeking at it, I’m nosy like that. Last time I updated, it was Tricia over at Geeky Explorers who commented and unknowingly subjected her site to my prying eyes.

One of the first things that stood out to me was the Playlist at the top of the site, and it made me realize that I have something very similar, a collection of music Julie bought from iTunes in secret and then burned onto a CD and gave to me on the day I went to pick up Bertha last year in October.

I listen to a lot more music than just this when I’m on the road of course, but these are all songs either about traveling, or about making a big change and being strong, some are about both. Back at the Old Job, before I had the Casita and was still trying to put the pieces together, whenever I had a rough day I could throw this CD on (yeah, I didn’t have a mp3 player at the time – I’m so old school) and it’d lift my mood and remind me what I was working towards.

I think I even mentioned the existence of this CD in passing at some point before when I was responding to comments, but I never got around to posting the songs on it like I said I would.

Well today, I finally am. All links lead to the song on YouTube, some are official music videos but some of these songs don’t have a music video and they’re still images or a roll of the lyrics. A good half of them are country songs, I like country music what can I say.

What are some of your favorite traveling songs? I’m always on the lookout for more. This list amounts to less than an hour of music, pitifully short when all my driving days have been at least 4 times that in length.

Image courtesy of Moyan_Brenn

, , ,

44 Responses to Music For The Road

1. Misty November 8, 2012 at 3:20 am #

Haha, what a diverse playlist. I love it.
    Misty recently posted..Strep take 2, co-working, and productivityMy Profile

• Becky November 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Yeah, I have kind of an eclectic taste in music. :p

2. Sherry November 8, 2012 at 6:11 am #

Great songs. I love country music too although sometimes the songs get stuck in my head and I’m singing them silently for days.
    Sherry recently posted..Hanging out & voting resultsMy Profile

• Becky November 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

There are just so many country songs about driving and such, aren’t there? Fits well with RVing.

I’m not limited to just getting country music stuck in my head. Sometimes it’s really strange stuff, usually I can blame it on friends who send me links. Like Fighting Trousers by Professor Elemental – Who comes up with this stuff? It’s not a dirty song, just kind of bizarre. 😛

3. The Good Luck Duck November 8, 2012 at 8:32 am #

“Wide Open Spaces,” Dixie Chicks
    The Good Luck Duck recently posted..Sacred Mountain, Rimrock, AZMy Profile

• Becky November 8, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Ooo, good one!

4. cozygirl November 8, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Here I Go Again…Whitesnake :O)

• Becky November 8, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Thanks Cozy!

5. Dave November 8, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Old-timey truck-driving songs! I’ve never been a truck driver, but I do like listening to the old songs.

My dad had one truck-driving songs LP (that’s a big black flat disc with grooves) that he played over and over when I was a kid.

Years ago I made a copy to CASSETTE (looks like an iphone with 2 holes through the middle. Eventually the thin-brown-tape guts spill out and it dies).

Then I finally made MP3 files of the tracks and now I have it forever. Snaps and pops from the old LP and all.

• Becky November 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Nice Dave! I don’t own any of that kind of music, but I’ve heard it on occasion on the radio in the wee hours of the morning, it is kind of fun to listen to.

LPs were before my time, but cassettes I remember. My parents bought my brother and I sing along music on cassette tapes for long car rides, and one Christmas I got a toy recorder that worked with cassettes. By the time I had the money and interest in music in 7th grade to buy it on my own it was CDs though.

Now I have a iPhone that I can put music on and whoever owned Bertha before me put an aftermarket radio in that has a usb plug built in for plugging the iPhone into so it can charge and stream music – but I’ve yet to get the music moved over so far and am still listening to burned CDs mostly. It was something I was trying to get done before I left SC in September but ran out of time.

6. Madcap November 8, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Great post!! I love my country music too!! Here’s a few more that you might enjoy.

Carrie Underwood – So Small
    Garth Brooks – The River (my favorite song of all time!!)
    Alabama – 18 Wheeler Roll On

I have tons of CDs that I just can’t get rid of and an MP3… I jam out in the convertible with the top down on our drives while he’s stuck in the rig…TeeHee

Life is Great!!

Madcap recently posted..Productive and Extremely EntertainingMy Profile

• Becky November 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Thanks Kristy, I’ll look those up later. 🙂

I’m totally one of those people who’ll turn the music up and sing along in the car too, it’s not like anyone else can hear the racket I make with the windows up.

7. Cimms November 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Nice List. I would add the following:

I Can’t Drive 55 – Sammy Haggar
    Radar Love – Golden Earing
    Take it Easy – Eagles

• Becky November 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Sweet, thanks Cimms, and welcome to IO. 🙂

8. Eric November 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

• Becky November 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

I’ll add that to my list of ones to look up, thanks.

9. Bill November 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Hi Becky,

Been following your blog for several months now but this is the first time I’ve been motivated to comment. My favorite song, whether traveling or not, has to be:

Running On Empty — Jackson Browne

Seems appropriate for the RV crowd too. :^)

Congrats on making your dream a reality!

(signed) A Jealous Wannabe :^)

• Becky November 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Hello Bill! I’m happy to have lured you out of lurking mode, thanks for commenting. 🙂

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard that song before! Title sounds familiar anyway, I’ll add it to my list of ones to look up, thanks.

A Wannabe, huh? Are you working on going full-time right now or just contemplating it?

• Bill November 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

It’s more like “contemplating” than “working on it”, but I’ve been slowly reducing my possessions, so maybe it’s more like “heading in that direction”. 🙂

(Realized that my email “smiley” emoticons in previous post just don’t cut it here in WordPress.)

Forgot to mention another excellent “road” song, probably #2 on my list of favorites when traveling: Roll Me Away — Bob Seger. The lyrics in that one might have more significance for the motorcycle drivers (like me) than the RV folks, but it’s still a great tune.

I guess if I ever go full-time, I’ll have to get a toy-hauler. 😉 Or give up my motorcycle. 🙁

• Becky November 11, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Haha, I go a little crazy with smileys sometimes, but I do try my best to keep them out of posts.

There’s nothing wrong with a slow and gradual shift. Jumping head first into it and then realizing it wasn’t the right decision for you would be a bummer. This way you get to feel it out as you go and you can stop when you find a place that’s comfortable, I get that. Toy Haulers are definitely viable for full-timing in if you do decide somewhere down the line that RVing is right, just gotta get a truck that can tow one. 🙂

Thanks for the other song. I’m going to have so much new music to listen to now, it’s great.

10. Dale November 10, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Here are some fun ones I enjoy

My House has Wheels: -Southern Culture on the Skids
    Giddy-Up A Go-Go – Slim Fatz
    Milwaukee Here I come – John Prine
    Railroad Lady – Jimmy Buffett
    Smooth Blacktop – Slim Fatz
    Jackson- Johny Cash, June Carter
    Hotel Yorba – The Whites Stripes

• Becky November 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Oooo, a 7 for 1 special, I like it. 🙂 They’re added to the List, thanks Dale!

11. Dale November 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

Oh Becky here is a link to my Spotify driving playlist if ya have that tool.

• Becky November 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Nope I don’t have Spotify, I think I’ve heard of it before though. I’ll peek into it at some point, thanks.

12. ra cott November 11, 2012 at 2:02 am #

You are providing inspiration for replacement of a sound system that was missing when my stolen car was found.
    My Spotify — number 1 roll down the hyway
    (Thanx Dale for your list)
    Some of the three hours:
    Drive= Incubus, River runs Deep= JJ Cale, Born at the Right Time= Paul Simon, Down the Road= Jimmy Reed, No Particular Place to Go= Chuck Berry Motorcycle Blues= Jessie Colin Young I’m Moving On= Rolling Stones Madame George= Van Morrison

• Becky November 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Ooo, thanks ra cott!

You just need music for long road trips, there’s just something about the experience that isn’t complete without it. 🙂

13. Gary November 12, 2012 at 6:27 am #

Anything “Foreignor” !!!

14. Sara November 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Well Bill beat me to it….Running on Empty. So how about Smokey and the Bandit theme song?

15. Becky November 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Oh, I think I’ve heard of that Sara.

Thank you two, the more the merrier. 🙂

16. Todd November 16, 2012 at 6:56 am #

Was going to suggest “Roll Me Away” by Bob Seger but someone beat me to it. Always gets me wanting to move on down the road. Started following you on FB a week ago. I’m another someday wannabe. Always nice to have a fresh young look at a lifestyle I thought of when I was 17, but love got in the way. Now retired & thinking of getting “out there” before it’s too late. Continued success & good fortune.

• Becky November 16, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Hello Todd and welcome aboard!

The more people on the road the merrier, it’s never too late to start. If you have any specific questions about RVing I’ll do my best to answer them, my e-mail address is under the ‘contacts’ page.

17. road=freedom November 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

You gotta check out “It’s for You” by Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays on the album “As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls” – definitive driving music!

• Becky November 21, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Thanks, I’ll look into it. 🙂

18. Steve December 2, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Where’s the old school Golden Earing “Radar love”
    That’ll get ya moving.
    Steve recently posted..Adventures in Cooking & Amazon UpdateMy Profile

• Becky December 3, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Never heard of it Steve, but I’ll take a peek. 🙂

19. No Way Dave January 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Hi Becky, I found you on HitchItch.” Take The Long Way Home” by Supertramp is a good road trip song. I wrote a song and recorded it with my daughter. I started writing it while we were on a road trip to Missouri to see James Taylor ( my fathers day gift!!!!) I used flavors of American music genres from the places we traveled, (Rockabilly, Texas Swing, Blues, Country, Vintage Jazz ) You can check it out on youtube if you do a search for SASHEPAPA That’s our channel. The song is called Catfish. There is another tune on our channel, that is a bluegrass parody version of a rap song called Brokenhearted. More coming soon. Check it out if you get bored.
    My recording gear allows me to record in my 20′ Airstream. I am hoping that song writing inspiration will fall into my lap when I am boon docking

• Becky January 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Heya Dave, glad to have you here and welcome to IO!

I’ll go check your site out when I get a chance. I have a lot of respect for people who have the patience to write songs and then the courage to put them up for the world to hear.

I met a fellow in Kansas named Shane who was a musician, his specialty was the saxophone. He also had recording equipment in his RV (it was a conversion that he did himself). He was my neighbor at Amazon and I enjoyed listening to him practice in the afternoons.

I would think that boondocking would be a great vehicle for inspiration. Or at least I’m willing to put the theory to the test when I finally get out West to try it myself.

Safe travels and happy trails!

20. market analysys June 2, 2013 at 10:51 am #

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding
    your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!
    market analysys recently analysysMy Profile

21. krissie June 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

I know a ‘movie’ comment might be a bit off topic but I hope you’ll understand as I justify it…
    Elizabethtown has the greatest road trip music montage/scene that I have ever been inspired by.

tried to find a clip of just that scene but just saw a poorly made over-dubbed version. here’s a link to the movie.

Loving your blog posts Becky!
    krissie recently posted..IS YOUR CREATIVE INSPIRATION HIDING?My Profile

• Becky June 23, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

I have seen that movie Krissie and yes that scene is a good one for those with wanderlust for sure. 🙂

22. Darren October 29, 2013 at 2:35 am #

I think this fits your life style: my favorite to listen while cruising around.

• Becky October 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

The internet at Big Chief is too slow to stream video so I can’t watch this right now. When I can I’ll take a peak at it. Care to tell me the name of the song though Darren? Maybe I’ve heard of it before.

• Darren October 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

The song is: Dierks Bentley – Free and Easy (Down the Road I Go).

Sorry I will keep that in mind for the future. 🙂

• Becky October 30, 2013 at 3:11 am #

Oooh I’ve heard that one on the radio. So many country songs are applicable to travelers. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!