Working Nights

Adjusting to working nights hasn’t been overly difficult for me. I’m a night owl by nature and have always had a tendency to stay up late and wake up late given the choice.

So when I learned that I could make a little extra money at Amazon by working the night shift, I was all for it. To make the transition, the Saturday before my first shift, I just stayed up as late as I could, and then slept in as late as I could the next morning. Sunday I did the same thing and managed to stay up until 4 am, which is when my shift ends.

Overall, the first week wasn’t bad. The job was new and that kept me awake even though I wasn’t use to staying up until 4:30 in the morning and wasn’t able to sleep in late enough to get a full eight hours. Week two was the hardest. The novelty of Amazon was wearing off, and the lack of sleep from the week before was showing.

After that second week though, I stayed home over the weekend and slept in to get caught back up, and then week three went fine. I was able to both stay up late enough and sleep in late enough. Transition complete.

Other that switching to a different sleep schedule, there is another amusing little peculiarity about working the night shift. My fellow work campers and I still refer to the first half of our day as the ‘morning’ even though it happens in the pm, and the second half as the ‘afternoon’ even though by the end its the am. We call our lunch break, well, lunch, even though it starts at 10:30.

When I wake up (in the afternoon), I have breakfast, but really it’s lunch type food since I won’t get to eat again until ‘lunch’ at 10:30 pm….well, you get the point. When discussing how our ‘day’ went at work with other night-shifters it makes perfect sense, but the daytime people often get confused.

Last night it didn’t quite get below freezing, but the previous two nights it did. So far my little heater has handled it well and Cas has been nice and cozy when I went to bed. Almost too cozy. The problem with going to sleep at the coldest part of the day is shortly after the sun rises the temperature starts to climb and the RV goes from being cozy to a bit sweltering. Yeah yeah, I could invest in a heater with a timer or a thermostat function and that’d solve the problem, but I value saving my money more than the minor discomfort of having to kick all the blankets off.

Some people may have noticed that the site was down for a bit this afternoon, that was a problem on my hosting platform’s end, nothing with IO in partiular.

Otherwise, things are going well, there’s not much new to report. Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s time to go have breakfast…..lunch….oh, you know what I mean.

, ,

7 Responses to Working Nights

1. Marvin October 30, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

Becky ,

Breakfast , Lunch , Dinner – doesn’t matter what time of day , it is all good .
    The ability to pick and choose or live life on any schedule or time table should be considered a gift .

Take Care – Be Safe

• Becky October 31, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Ayup! The best part about Amazon? I get off on the 23rd of December. This’ll be the first time in 4 years I’ve been able to go home for Christmas. And the first time since I started working period that I’ll have had more than 2-3 days to spend with family during that time.

Options equal freedom, and RVing gives me more. πŸ™‚

2. Sherry October 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

Sure is nice for you night owls that they can make a little extra cash. Not me, I’m such a morning person.

You seem to have done a great job adjusting. Your b/l/d story is funny. Doesn’t seem like you’ve been there a month…well not to me….probably to you. Are you counting the days yet? 7 more weeks?? Or more??
    Sherry recently posted..Goodbye to the FarmMy Profile

• Becky October 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Well it’ll be a month on Nov. 2nd. And I’m counting the days in a way (well, the paychecks) to try to get a feel for how much I’ll be making here, haha. It has a big impact on how I’ll start the beginning of 2013.

3. Rand October 30, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

Hi Becky
    Enjoying your journey. We have a small fiberglass trailer so its inspiring to see you putting one to the test. The videos were fun. Did the same when first going through the drill.

There’s a blogger Jim that is also working there. You might see him putting around in his new Geo Tracker.

• Becky October 31, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Thanks Rand, I still have so many videos to get up, it’s a slow process. πŸ˜›

Jim is at the Fernley, NV site so I won’t be seeing him. There are actually 3 sites in the US that run the WorkCamper program, the last one is in Campbellsville, KY.

4. Shannon November 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Hey Becky –

I enjoy reading your posts, and am a fellow (brand new) Casita owner working for Amazon at Fernley. πŸ™‚