Ahoy Landlubber!

A couple days ago I was browsing the RV.net forums and I came across a topic: Best thing about my RV is…

The post had many responses. Some listed features directly related to their RV, like a large gallery, good mpg, low price, lots of sleeping space, or 1.5 bathrooms.

Others said things that apply to RVing versus traveling by other means, like that they didn’t need to worry that the bed had been slept in by strangers, they could bring their pets along , or the fact that they could still eat home cooking on the road.

Another group focused more on what the RV could do for them. Such as the ability to change the view from their windows, get away from neighbors they didn’t like, or leave at a moment’s notice without having to plan a hotel stay and pack for a trip in advance.

I thought about my response for a while, what is the best thing about my Casita? There are a lot of features I like about Cas, but many are things I had back when I was living in an apartment too.

Not only did I have a bathroom, it was a large bathroom, and I didn’t need to worry about dumping. The 15 mpg combo of Bertha and Cas is pretty impressive compared to many RVs, but pales compared to the 28-29 mpg I got with my Civic. I paid about $16,200 (more if you count everything I’ve needed to buy to fix and maintain it) total for truck and trailer once taxes and licenses were all said and done. That’s quite cheap, I didn’t need a loan, great! But my most expensive apartment (shared with a roommate granted, who I would still have were I stationary) would have come out to just $5004 a year, it didn’t need to all be paid at once, and I never needed to worry about leaks or spending money for repairs.

“But wait!” you’re probably now saying. “That’s not the whole picture!” And you’re right, so I kept digging.

Next I thought about mode of travel, the second group’s answers. Yeah, a RV makes for a more comfortable way to get around than hotel hopping, although that kind of travel has it’s benefits too.

For instance there is staff to take care of the cleaning and maintenance. You don’t have to pay as much up front. And it takes less than two hours to get everything into a hotel room vs. leveling a RV, getting the water, sewer, and electric hooked up, the awning and mat rolled out, and the chairs set up.

At it’s heart though, the third group seemed closest to the mark. In many ways RVing gives you more options than staying in hotels. Drive until you find a price you like, that price can be as low as free. Switch spots if your current neighbors are being too loud. Park your RV to give you the best view. Decided you want to stay longer? Well, you can fit more clothes and supplies with you in a RV than in a suitcase for hotel travel. If by chance your current campground can’t let you extend your stay you can just go find the next one in the area with room. Getting too tired to keep going? Dry camping in your RV in a parking lot is so much more comfortable than sleeping in the back of a car.

It boils down to freedom.

And a couple of the posters at RV.net got this too.

Because a RV has a kitchen we’re free to eat how we like on the road. Because it has a bathroom we’re free to stay places that don’t. Because it has wheels we’re free to travel as much or as little as we want in a day, and still have a bed to sleep in. No reservation required, no mad searching for vacancy signs, and no lobby hours to abide by.

If you don’t have enough money, you’re free to travel anywhere in the whole of the country to find a job. Want to stay at a place you like for months on end? Not an issue. Want to spend every night someplace different? You can do that too.

The features that make up a RV may seem simple and crude compared to their house counterparts, but when you couple them with mobility, it opens up a world of possibilities. It creates options. And having viable options, that’s freedom my friend.

This lifestyle isn’t for everybody, there are sacrifices to be made. You can’t take all your stuff with you. You’ll have to leave your existing social circle behind. It can get cramped inside on rainy days. And it’s still a lot like real life. Stuff will break, bills still need to be paid, not every site you stay at is going to have a great view. If you treat it like a perpetual vacation, money will run out.

But there are a lot of positives too. You may discover you didn’t need as much stuff as you thought. Many RVers are great people and you’ll make new friends. And pictures and movies just can’t hold a candle to seeing the gorgeous sights America has to offer with your own two eyes.

My guess is, if you’re reading this, then you’ve already decided that going RVing is something you really want to do.

So what’s holding you back?

I’ve been getting e-mails and messages trickling in from people, asking questions from how to keep a RV warm in cold weather to why is South Dakota a good state to domicile in. I enjoy answering these questions, but I know not everyone who has questions or concerns about RVing will write in to ask.

So I thought I’d ask here: What’s the number one question (or concern) you have as you’re preparing to go RVing? Or that’s keeping you from going RVing? For those of you already on the road, I have a question for you too. What part of RV travel causes you the most hassle?

There isn’t a whole lot to do here in Coffeyville on my days off, and I want to do something useful rather than twiddle my thumbs as the wind rocks the Casita around like a ship on the high seas.

I’ll answer what I can in the comments section, and if I get a lot of people asking the same thing or a question that requires a more thorough answer expect to see a post or something about it. It’s a win, win situation. You get a question answered, and I get to do something to take my mind off the pitch and roll of my little fiberglass boat…err, trailer.

Now I leave the floor to you all. Fire away matey!

Image courtesy of kevin dooley

, , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to Ahoy Landlubber!

1. Evelyn October 25, 2012 at 8:31 am #

It was so nice to meet you yesterday, Becky. Great post. The two questions we were asked most often when we told people what we were doing were about health insurance and how could we survive so much time together. I thought that second question was strange. I guess there are a lot of couples who need their space from each other. We are lucky to be healthy and pay for a high deductible health insurance policy. We’ve been fulltiming for 2.5 years and so far are getting along just fine with each other 🙂 Our biggest frustration has been with our tires failing on our fifth wheel. We’ve had 3 tires fail in 18 months. We think we got a bad batch of tires. Other than that, we’re loving this life.
    Evelyn recently posted..Variety GaloreMy Profile

• Becky October 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

Hello Evelyn! It was nice meeting you too. The wind yesterday wasn’t ideal for the meet and greet but today would have been worse with the drop in temperature huh?

Health insurance is a biggie. For anyone reading these comments, I can’t recommend ehealthinsurance.com enough for searching for health insurance while traveling, and no, I’m not affiliated with them in any way. It simplifies the process greatly, to start you put in the zip code where you ‘live’ (your domicile zipcode, for me it’s in SD) then your age and a couple other things.

You’ll get a list of plans for many different insurance companies who do business at the zipcode you put in. the list automatically sorts by most popular, but you can change that to reflect price or other variables too. You can check up to 4 plans to compare side by side easily, and once you’ve found a couple that look promising there are links to the full details of the plan.

Like Evelyn, I went with a high deductible plan, many full-timers do. If you have pre-existing conditions, there are such things as high risk insurance pools that can still give you some coverage, many of them are managed at the state level. They will be more expensive for less benefit though.

The other option is to self-insure. Put aside the money you would spend on health insurance in a separate bank account to use only in emergencies if you need it for health reasons.

Now on to the space issue. For four months I lived in Cas (17′ long, remember!) with my best friend Julie and her cat. It did get cramped at times, but there are things you can do to help if you find yourself in need of some space. On nice days one person can be outside while the other is inside. You can take small trips separately from each other, or if you’re working while you travel you can work in different areas for some time apart. Also think about looking at RVs with at least two separate ‘rooms’ for added space. For some this alone time is crucial, and for others (like Evelyn it sounds like) being together all the time isn’t a problem. Don’t feel bad if you are part of the former group, everyone’s needs are different and that’s okay!

2. Janice October 25, 2012 at 9:08 am #

What’s the fastest way to get to the financial point of being able to do the full time RV’ing?
    Janice recently posted..Shopping online and true life story (not mine)My Profile

• Becky October 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Hello Janice, thanks for taking the time to comment!

A little more information would be helpful. I went to your blog and it sounds like you and your husband go camping a lot and have campground hosted before? So I’m guessing you already have the RV and are looking for ways to support yourself while traveling?

Let me know and I’ll be able to give you a response. 🙂

3. Dave October 25, 2012 at 9:11 am #

What’s holding me back from jumping in and full-timing? Knowing that I would have a hard time un-doing it all if I changed my mind and wanted to come back in off the road. My house and job would be gone. Of course, life has a way of kicking you in the pants and making some decisions easier. For example if the job evaporated.

Anyway, when and if the time is right for us, that’s when we’ll go. In the mean time we’re having fun dragging the little trailer around exploring Texas mostly.

When you asked about ideas for feeling useful on your days off, did you mean opportunities to volunteer? If so, my DW managed a senior citizens center for a few years, and she was always appreciative of come-and-go volunteers, to help out where needed and kibitz with the seniors who are always happy to see a new face.

• Becky October 26, 2012 at 6:55 am #

Hello Dave, thanks for writing in.

In the end, what’s most important is that you do what feels right for you and your family.

That being said, if you leave your job in good standing, it might be easier than you think to come back to it. You’ll still have all the experience you’ve gathered after all, that won’t magically go away just because you’ve left for a while.

Perhaps that specific job may be filled, but if they like you enough you’d be surprised, maybe they’d create a new job for you, it’s certainly not unheard of. If you aren’t concerned about getting that specific job back and are more worried about jobs in your field in general, remember you’ll still have the experience and accomplishments you’ve attained up until this point. If you have any job related licenses, keep up on them while you’re on the road even if you aren’t using them, just in case. I still keep my veterinary technician license up to date for instance, that way if I need to stay put for a while to earn more money I have the option.

If you’re wondering how you’d explain the hole in your employment to someone who’s interviewing you, tell them the truth. You had a once in a life-time opportunity to travel, and see a lot of wonderful and amazing things. Put your travel in a positive light like this, it might even make the interviewer curious, which is a good thing. They’ll remember you, it’ll help you stand out from other applicants who may have the same level of expertise as you do.

I can’t take credit for these ideas on going back to a previous career tract after leaving for a while, I read about this stuff in Tim Feriss’ Four Hour Work-Week book, and it rang true for me. There are some case studies included with it too to back up these ideas, but I won’t get that much into it.

The point is, very little that we do is truly permanent. For instance, at the end of January this year I left my last vet tech job after 2.5 years, I hated it! When I left I told them I was going to work at a retail store and they were all stunned, surely that was a inferior job compared to helping animals right? I didn’t see it that way, it was a stepping stone that required less effort on my part which allowed me to focus more on what I needed to do to go RVing.

Anyway, about five months later, I got a letter in the mail from said job. Typed out it was about a page long, and clearly a lot of effort had been put into it. It was the hiring manager, asking if I’d come back if they gave me a $1.00 raise. I was impressed, in the whole 2.5 years I’d worked with them I hadn’t gotten a single raise despite the added responsibilities I’d taken on. The attending vet (my boss) whom I’d worked for before (and who had really liked the work I did, and pushed to get me a raise before without success) wasn’t even with the company anymore – one of the clinical vets had been promoted to attending and I hadn’t worked with her closely at all.

But the fact was, despite that I’d hated the job I gave it my best and left in good standing, that really counts for something. When the company had need of another vet tech, they remembered me and what I could do. Of course I turned the offer down, I was already living in Cas at that point and prepping to head out an do something so much more fun than work my life away!

The house is a bit different story, but still shouldn’t deter you if full-timing is what you really want to do. Yes, you wouldn’t get your same house back, but assuming you aren’t blowing all your money while RVing the selling of it would bring in enough to buy a new one if you decide that the RV life isn’t for you right? And right now, it’s a buyer’s market in the housing industry. Selling it will probably be much harder than buying a new one if RVing doesn’t work out for you.

But I’m not trying to pressure you Dave, I’m responding to your concerns for others out there who may be in a similar position as you. I’m glad to hear you and your wife are enjoying your travel trailer, and when and if you decide the time is right, you’ll have me cheering you on. 🙂

When I was talking about doing something useful on my days off this week I was talking about what I’m doing right now. 😛 Saturday and Sunday here are going to be windy, and cold cold cold. If I’m going to be stuck in Cas might as well be helpful by answering questions about full-timing!

It’s now almost 6 am Friday morning. I’ll continue responding as I get the time! The bulk will probably happen Saturday and Sunday when I don’t work and have more time.

4. Marvin October 25, 2012 at 9:38 am #

My number one concern is preventive maintenance . I am amazed at the number of RV’ers that I find with problems that could have been diagnosed and prevented before getting on the road . Many people that I meet on the road do not carry spare parts or have any information on the major components of their unit . I do not look at maintenance as as chore , but as a learning experience and a source of mental and physical security .
    I use detailed checklists and step-by-step notes to help me remember the key information and steps to follow for each procedure .

If I need to list a hassle , it would be travel thru and around large metro areas . To me , large cities and RV’s do not mix . I plan and adjust travel times to avoid traffic congestion .

I use a combination of computer data , a collection of maps (free at most welcome centers) , and a binder that has a page for each state . Whenever I read an article with information on a CG , restaurant , good or bad reviews , problem areas , or roads to consider or avoid , it gets listed for future reference .

Just my thoughts – it will be interesting to read what others post .

Thanks – Be Safe

• Becky October 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Hello Marvin.

Preventative maintenance is a good thing to be aware of. I think a lot of new RVers get so overwhelmed with how complex a RV can be that as long as everything is working fine right now, their attention is elsewhere, RVs are suppose to be fun, right? This is especially true if they buy a used RV that doesn’t have the original manuals, and the salesman doesn’t go over stuff with them.

For me, maintenance is a chore. I like learning new things, but my interests don’t lie with fixing things and handiwork. That being said, I do what I can anyway because I know it’ll help extend the value of the investment I have in my trailer, and I think everyone can agree that they’d want their RV to be it’s best for longer. Luckily Casitas aren’t as bad as many RVs are in the maintenance department.

I think any new RVer should plan to spend some time after buying it to go over the manuals that came with their RV. No, you won’t memorize it all with one read through, but any maintenance items in there (for instance, changing the anode rod in my water heater was one, cleaning the filters in the A/C unit, etc) just make a note at how often they’re suppose to get done, start a little calendar or something. When it comes time to do it, you can either refer back to the manual for specifics and do it yourself if you’re feeling adventurous, or schedule to take the RV in somewhere to get it done if you’d rather not mess with it.

As far as navigation, I use to use google maps to print directions to places, but now I use my phone’s GPS feature since I don’t have easy access to a printer – I was never that good at reading maps. Whatever works. 🙂

Thanks for writing in Marvin!

5. Becky October 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

Thanks for posting Dave and Marvin! I need to be off to work soon, but I’ll be responding to your comments afterwards.

Keep those replies coming all, I’ll get to them all as time permits!

6. Lizz October 25, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Hi Becky,

My biggest question (and it will come as no surprise to you) is are there any RV’ers that have horses that they take with them? Are they full timers or part timers?

I would love to RV, but I love my horses more and I know there is no way I could live without them. Finding a way to have/do both would be amazing!! But working out vet care, and finding places to stay I would imagine is much harder and more expensive (more vaccinations required how do you handle all of the health certificates required?). Not to mention if you need to leave your site for the day (for work and/or non horsey events/errands) what do you use to make sure your horses stay where you left them? (metal gate panels, solar electric fence- how many lines, what kind of posts, what kind of fencer?) Can you park and graze them back country? How do you handle feeding (hay cost, availability and quality vary greatly even just county to county much less state to state). And I have SO many more!

Becky I know you likely won’t have all the answers now, but if you meet any horsey people in your travels please keep me in mind! If anyone else who read this forum knows of someone or meets someone I’d love to get more details!

• Becky October 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Heya Lizz!

I haven’t heard of any full-time RVers with horses, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t exist, or that it’s impossible. I will say that it wouldn’t be easy, because of all the questions you listed.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen horse trailers on the road that have RVing components to them for a person to stay in, but I think they’re more meant for short term trips – like a weekend or maybe a week while you’re at a horse fair or something. The horse doesn’t live in the trailer, the trailer is merely transport and they stay at the facility where you’re at, but you can live in the ‘human’ part of it. They didn’t look cheap and probably need a pretty powerful truck to pull.

At least one state park I’ve been to has a ‘horse camp’ area with trails where you can bring your horses and post them up at your site. But most state parks have a 14 day stay limit so you’d have to be moving around a lot. Doesn’t make for a sustainable way of living if you have a regular type of job that you drive to. Finding remote work would probably work better – especially since these kind of horse camp sites aren’t likely to be near bigger cities where work is easy to find. The one I saw didn’t have hookups either so you’d be relying on the RV’s battery (or buying a generator or getting solar) for electricity, filling up water jugs to keep your RV’s water tank topped off, and needing to break camp occasionally to dump your waste tanks.

This makes me think ‘full-timing’ with horses might be more like, bursts of travel where you stay at places like that state park that have primitive camping and allow horses, and then stationary times where you’d arrange at boarding stables ahead of time to bring your horses in for a while while you focus more on working (like seasonal work maybe?). You could slowly travel around the country this way, but it would take effort to find a stable with room and check out that it’s a decent place without seeing it first, plus boarding a horse probably isn’t cheap – you’d know more about that part than me. 😛 Maybe part of the arrangement would be helping out on the farm in exchange for part of the cost of room and board for the horses.

But it sounds like you’d rather not stay at stables/ranches at all and are more looking for land that you could just ‘keep’ your horses at. That makes me think more about the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) areas out West that allow dispersed camping. Whether you’d be allowed to keep horses on this land I’m not sure, I’d have to look into it more. It’s quite possible you couldn’t. Again though, this would be primitive camping so you’d have to bring supplies for you and the horses in with you, and it’s mostly on desert type land, probably not a lot of grazing to be had.

I’m thinking feed you’d be buying in smaller quantities as you go, that means that prices, availability, and quality would probably vary, and you’d have to be careful to stock up in places where it can be found. Finding a vet would be like finding a vet for a dog or cat while traveling, getting to a phone book or the internet and looking places up. Again, talking to the locals or reading reviews would give you a sense of how good a place is, etc.

As far as health certificates and vaccinations, I’m not sure how strict these rules are having never owned a horse myself. Are you a part of any online horse communities? Maybe you could ask users who live in other states what these types of requirements look like for them, it would definitely require further research.

Anyway, I’ll keep you in mind as I travel and if I find anyone traveling with horses, I’ll flag them down for sure. 🙂 Thanks for writing in.

EDIT 10/30/12:

Lizz, I have a site for you to peek at. http://wagonteamster.com/

This guy has traveled over 5000 miles with his horses across the US in three different stages. It’s not quite what you’re looking to do I think, because the horse power for his trailer is…his horses. 😛

Still, if you have some time it’s a very interesting read! Maybe you can at least find out more about vaccination records and how he obtains food and water for the horses as they travel.

7. Hazel October 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

We’re snowbirds and birders from Ontario, and are preparing to leave in our Casita to travel down the east coast to Florida and out to Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. We will be gone for 5 months. The hardest part is leaving home for that long, although logically I know that I don’t do well in the dark and cold.

The other issue is the adjustment to a life of wandering. We have reservations for a few days on the Delmarva peninsula and then in Texas for the month of January but other than that, we’ll be winging it. I know I’ll get used to it and we’ll have more good experiences than bad, but it will be a big change from living at home.

Hubby and I love to be together and spend much of our time outdoors so that’s not an issue. He does have old injuries that bother him at night so he’s up for an hour or so every night. It’s just something I’ll have to deal with. A sleep mask will help and maybe earplugs. Afternoon naps might become a thing!

I enjoy your blog, Becky, and appreciate you trying to help other campers.

• Becky October 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Hiya Hazel,

Leaving my friends in South Carolina was tough too, but since most of my family doesn’t live there it wasn’t as bad for me. I’m from Wisconsin, and when I left there for SC 3 years ago it was harder, although I did move south with Julie so I wasn’t alone and it helped a lot. In fact now that I’m RVing I get to go visit my family once I’m done at Amazon.

My few weeks of traveling were a bit disorienting like that too. I didn’t make reservations far in advance (if at all) and at first I was worried about being able to find a place to stay, it was this constant low level anxiety.

But, the more I did it and saw that it all worked out, the more confident I got. It ended up being exciting, where do I want to be by tomorrow? The possibilities made my giddy. If I didn’t feel like stopping, I drove longer. When I stopped at a campground, I looked around the place to see how much I liked it before deciding how many nights to stay, the flexibility was a great thing. I hope you and your husband learn to see it this way too. There will be challenges sure, but the more you face them, the better you’ll feel about the odds next time you come across one. And yeah, think about earplugs and a mask perhaps. Thanks for commenting!

• Hazel October 29, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Thanks for the encouragement, Becky. I AM a control freak and I’m about to lose control! LOL I’ll try to remember that you felt disoriented at first and a little anxious too but that it passed with time and good experiences.

• Becky October 30, 2012 at 5:03 am #

Yep! The more you do it, the more confident you feel in your ability to do it. 😀 Here’s to good experiences!

8. Lynn October 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Interesting question! I know for myself that I will never go full-time because of my home and I have my own business. I can definitely see myself traveling part-time and taking trips when I feel the need. The most important consideration in my mind is what is the best set-up, I am starting to lean towards a travel trailer just because it makes the most sense. The other consideration is that buying an RV and the expense of it would commit me to just travel in North America when I still want to see the rest of the world. I think the right decision will come when the time is right. I would like to hear from more solo travelers that go into Mexico. Preferably a women. Carry on, looks like you have having fun and that’s what it is all about. I enjoy your blog.

• Becky October 28, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Full-timing isn’t for everyone, and that’s just fine.

I think that’s one of the most common questions I see from folks just thinking about starting RVing, what’s the best kind. And of course there is no one best kind, just the kind that works best for you.

I went with truck + travel trailer because of a few reason. I knew I would need to work while I travel and I didn’t want to drive the whole RV to and from work every day, so that ruled out Class B’s and small Class C’s. I still could have gotten a larger motorhome and towed a smaller vehicle behind it, but that would have been two engines to maintain, so I nixed that. Travel trailers were more in my budget than 5th wheels, and gave me the back of the truck as storage space still, so voila. It was the best fit for me under those circumstances.

As for world travel, I’m going to do that too eventually. I follow a couple of bloggers who do extensive world travel, but but in the expensive touristy way that many Americans do. http://www.wanderingearl.com/ is one such example, and I’m a big fan of this alternative way. Earl left for Asia on a 3 month trip with $1,500 in his pocket 12 years ago, and never came home. 😛

But for me, exploring America was higher on the list of things I wanted to do so I got the RV first. Future dreams have me spending part of each year abroad and the majority here in my RV, but one thing at a time.

9. Kim and Jerry Portelli October 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

How are you doing Becky? I don’t know about you, but Jerry and I are adjusting OK to Amazon life. What we are not adjusting to is the 28 degrees this morning…ha ha! Brrrrr! And the wind…it goes right through you.

Did you get a chance to go to Independence, Kansas for the Neewollah Festival?

Take care and have a good week!
    Kim and Jerry Portelli recently posted..Halloween BackwardsMy Profile

• Becky October 28, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Heya Kim and Jerry!

I’m doing well, Amazon is quite frankly the easiest job I’ve had since becoming a ‘real’ (haha) adult and the pay once you include the site costs is pretty amazing.

The temperature isn’t too bad for me, Last winter I may have been in SC where it’s warmer but my job was outdoors so I worked in below freezing temps when it got cold. I’m from Wisconsin and the winters there are much worse. 😛

Nope I didn’t get to Neewollah, had some other things to take care of. How was it? I know some folks were thinking they weren’t going to go because of the cold.

You guys take care too!

10. Dale October 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

I’m on and off the road at my leisure, (but I’ve seen most of the US and bits of Canda). Sometimes it is at my budget’s leisure as to wheather I’m on the road or not.

Sometimes it is also based on the fun meter.
    Sometimes my homelands in the North Georgia Mountains , where I keep a little shack, is more fun than somewhere lonely on the road (my pet rock Gwendolyn doesn’t offer much company).
    This fun factor is especially true during the summer months when lots of jumping in the river with friends, floaty races through beauty spots and the like are involved at weekend campouts. These feature tall tales, gaming and antics that are not the common fare in a campground somewhere.
    In the Fall, I love to go on RVabout usually before the Summer wains away in the Southern most US. I love to chase it. This year I got to share some of that with friends as well, as I talked them into driving to Florida for antics.
    But eventually the friends go back to their normal worlds of workaday-cubicalism . In Winter and late Fall the opportunities for fun antics become few), and I’m left to me, my pet rock, my RV and mobile broadband coverage areas.
    So I tend to be on and off the road lots during these times. Sometimes I’ll stick around the N GA areas during the holidays for family time (when I can’t talk them into campgrounds in Florida as they have RVs too)

My tow vehicle is old and has seen many adventures, it runs on magic and redneck ingenuity. I am having to deal more and more with its limitations (and going in debt is NEVER an option in my world. I hate the idea of debt. Fixing old junk is way easier for me.

What part of RV travel causes you the most hassle?
    Well apart from the mechanical issues that pop up (that I’m usually capable of dealing with myself – I’m handy-and yes you can borrow my tools-as I will have them with me), The main hassle is the loneliness. Sure, I read blogs where people go all la la la about their friends on the road N such, but I find that most of the la-la-la-ers are cute couples (ie. having very little clue about single life anymore.). It is one of the reasons that I’m attracted to RV blogs that don’t use the words “We” and “Our” every few words.

• Becky October 28, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

Hello Dale.

Yeah, season and budget play a role for me too, but for the seasons it’s sort of the opposite. Working at Amazon right now fits well with both of those concerns, I get to earn money during a time of year when summer fun has wound down and the weather gets too cold to camp without hookups for heat (my heather is electric).

I’m getting more contact with people now that I’m stationary at Amazon – we had a mingle here last Wednesday and I got to meet a lot of my fellow campers. Since we all work at Amazon and are staying in RVs we at least have that in common with each other, often the work campers eat lunch together at Amazon, etc. I was quite alone last month when I was traveling, but not lonely. The weather was great and I had all those beautiful places to see, so it didn’t matter as much. A lot depends on personality I guess. I need more alone time than people time, so this mix of situations has worked well for me. Now that the leaves have about fallen and and the weather/season ‘feels’ more lonely (does that make sense?) I can walk down to the RV park’s laundry room/rec room and get some conversation if I want it.

Probably the single (okay two) best combatants for loneliness though has been phone and internet when I need to talk to someone I know well. I still talk to Julie on the phone regularly, and keep up with other friends in SC and WI online. I also frequent two RVing forums and belong to an online RVing community (http://www.nurvers.com/, although most conversation happens over the Facebook group these days).

I have thought long and hard about getting a cat for companionship, I love cats and dogs, but having a cat would also limit where I could go and what I could do, and I don’t feel like I have enough money saved up yet anyway, so I’m keeping it in the back of my mind for now.

I hope your truck continues to hold out! Probably the hardest part of RVing for me since I’m not a handy person is worrying what’ll happen if something should need serious fixing on Cas or Bertha. Right now if something were to happen I’d be fine – there are plenty of people at Big Chief who would help out of I asked, which is a nice feeling.

Thanks for commenting!

11. Dale October 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

I’ve been on that nurvers thing too (have been for ages now and sort of moved on from it), I liked it better a few years back. I may have just already gotten what it had to give – if that makes any sense?- or need to look at it afresh somehow. I’ve been doing the camper travel thing for awhile now (on and off). I’ve not been to any of the meetups with that group though).

I do get that bit about how the season feels more lonely. Wish I could think of some cool stuff that would make Winter more fun. I’m good at Summer.

I work online with my own biz, and I had not thought about the social aspect of something like Amazon camperforce till you mentioned it. (maybe a write up on that aspect? 🙂 )

I also love animals, sometimes I think about a pet, but alas geez at the hassle they would cause (I don’t want to deal with that part). I’ve always been close to the heart of nature, being a mountain fella, and Animals love me too, wild and domestic, so I get plenty of animal visitors when I’m out on my travels, which helps make up for not having a pet some.

• Becky October 30, 2012 at 5:07 am #

Yeah there is pluses and minuses to everything isn’t there? I get a better social life doing seasonal jobs, but you have greater portability with an online job. A pet provides companionship, but requires time and care.

I haven’t made it to any of the Nu gatherings yet (or any sort of official RV gathering for that matter) but hey, I have plenty of time, no rush. 🙂

If you come up with something interesting to do in the winter as a RVer, let us know!