A Storm Is Brewing

First week at Amazon: Complete. I’d say it went quite well, I’m pretty sure I more than met the 75% goal on speediness (after the first two days of training I didn’t once get told what I was at so I can only speculate since my name isn’t up on the daily results list yet) but I had five errors over the course of four days. Not a huge deal since I’m new, but I aim to have none tomorrow.

In celebration of one week done, I drove three hours to Kansas City and back today to go to a Renaissance Festival. This makes seven ren faires I have now been to in six different states, it’s a Dream List thing of mine. There may not be a lot of room in my little closet, but I still managed to fit my costume in there somehow. Now I’m going to have to try hard to stay up late tonight so that I sleep in tomorrow and get back on the right sleep schedule for work again. Oh well, it was definitely worth it.

There’s just something special about driving home after a ren faire that leads to clarity of thought for me. It must be some combination of post-faire good mood giddiness and the extra time with nothing to do but think (since faires never seem to be close to where I’m living/staying and thus a lot of driving is involved) that sparks me into viewing things in a different way. Have any of you ever noticed this phenomenon? Not specifically when driving home from a renaissance festival, but after doing something you really enjoy doing that helps you unwind?

I’ve been riding on the wave of Oh-My-Gosh-I’m-Actually-Out-RVing since I left Bluffton exactly one month ago (huzzah!), and the thought of what should come next hadn’t really stuck in my mind until the drive home today.

Now it is. It didn’t happen in a flash of divine inspiration. It’s building slowly, like the thunderstorms that rolled in yesterday evening. Flickers of light dance in the distance and a breeze is stirring, a sign of things to come. We’ll see what forms from it, but I feel my ‘vacation’ is over for now and it’s time to get back to work on the next big thing. Because in the real world dreams don’t just come true by wishing and hoping, they happen with planning and some serious elbow grease.

Speaking of storms, they’re scarier in the Casita then they are in apartments. It’s not the thunder and lightning, although that’s definitely louder with less insulated walls. It’s the wind. The shelter of a RV seems much less complete when the wind can rock it back and forth like a see-saw. Not that Cas (yep, that’s it’s name) was truly in danger of blowing over, it’s just unnerving.

Well, I have pictures from the festival that need uploading for Julie (who was there in spirit if not in body) and other things to attend to. Tomorrow may be the start of another work week for many of us, but I challenge you to tackle it with a smile – attitude is half the battle. The other half is deciding what you’d rather be doing and setting aside as much extra time and energy as you can afford to actually do something about it.

, , , , , ,

18 Responses to A Storm Is Brewing

1. Sherry October 15, 2012 at 4:35 am #

Me too-love Renn Faires!! Have you been to the one in Crownesville Maryland?? That was my “local” one 3 hours away. :-)). Doing all of them all over the country is on my dream list too. So excited to hear there’s someone else who still loves to play dressup. Faires are SO much fun. Can’t wait for the pictures.
    Sherry recently posted..Leaves and LeavingMy Profile

• Becky October 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Nope I’ve never been anywhere near Maryland, but now I know of one more to hit up, haha.

Yep, playing dress up is fun, I spent more money on my costume than any other outfit I own by a great margin, it was shortly after I graduated from college and got my first ‘real’ job.

I love singing too. One day I’m going to perform at one with Julie, we’ve got about 30 folk songs memorized, most of which are appropriate to sing at faires, all a-Capella though.

2. Kim October 15, 2012 at 10:26 am #

Eager to hear what’s next!

• Becky October 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Once I have it worked out you guys will be among the first to know. πŸ™‚

3. Fireman Steve October 15, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Good morning,
    Good job on your first week at Amazon. I like Ren Faires also. We used to have one every year here in Marin County then they moved to a new location. Your adventures are fun to read, you have a way with words. :-). I was wondering if Cas has stabilizer jacks? Scary in storms. But also exciting at the same time…
    Stay safe..

• Becky October 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Aww, sad that it moved.

Cas does have stabilizer jacks, but the clearance is so low below the trailer that I need to block up both wheels to be able to use them, haha. I only have one side blocked to make it level right now, so no room to put them down. That may change.

• Fireman Steve October 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

I wonder if they make baby jacks for TT like Cas…
        At the Ren. Faire, I always liked the “Soak-a-bloke” and “Drench-a-Wench”. lol
        And of course all the costumes… πŸ™‚

• Becky October 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

I’m sure smaller jacks exist, I’m just not willing to spend the money on them. πŸ˜›

4. Marvin October 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

Sounds like a magical weekend with a positive glimpse of the future. Sort of like slowly opening a birthday gift .

I have never been to a Renn – Faire . I shall look up the scheduled events on the net and see if any dates will fit my travel schedule .

• Becky October 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

It wasn’t until I got older that I realized how much fun it was to open gifts slowly and let the anticipation build, I can’t rush the process anyway so might as well enjoy it.

This was the last weekend for the Kansas City faire for this year but there are plenty o others out there running now, you can just search on google for your location.

5. DD October 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

If you happen to be in Texas in April you should check this one out. http://www.srfestival.com

• Becky October 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

I’ll keep that in mind DD, thanks for commenting.

6. Gary October 16, 2012 at 12:52 am #

Dang Becky, I forgot all about the Renaissance Festival in K.C…..and its only like 20 minutes from my house. Wanted to go last year too. Hey, don’t know if you’ve heard of it but there’s the “Maple Leaf Festival” in Baldwin City this weekend. Kind of the same route you took to K.C. but closer. I hear its a blast. My son’s girlfriend says her mother will be one of the singers there…so we’ll probably go there Friday evening or Sat. morning. Let me know if you go. It’d be great to meet you!! Take Care.

• Becky October 16, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

If I went it’d have to be Sunday, I work Friday night into Saturday morning so that wouldn’t work for me sadly. Not sure if I’ll be up for another long drive this weekend, we’ll see. πŸ™‚

7. Reine October 16, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Becky, since you’re going to be camped for a while you should put the back stabilizers down. If you don’t have clearance to swing them down, try lowering the tongue, swinging the stabilizers down, then raising the tongue again to level. The main problem with the standard stabilizers on the Casita is the arc they have to swing through to get in working position.

You can also get these http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44560-Olympian-Aluminum-Stack/dp/B000760FWU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350425224&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+stabilizer+jacks from Amazon which work really well when the trailer is level and are only $35 for 4 of them.

Don’t know if you get a discount while working at Amazon but it’s worth checking out. You’ll feel much more secure in the trailer with stabilizers on all four corners.

• Becky October 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

I’ll look into it, thanks.

8. Lizz October 30, 2012 at 10:18 am #

β€œIn the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it”. – Robert Heinlein (1907 – 1988)

I saw this Quote and thought you might enjoy it. Congratulations for setting and reaching your goals!

• Becky October 31, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks Lizz, and yeah that quote rings true. In 2010 I create a ‘Dream List’ of things I want to do before I died and set a time line for each one, funny how much faster I’m getting things done now after starting that practice. πŸ™‚