Indian Springs State Park, GA

What a week! The big adventure has kicked off in earnest, this is actually two posts in one since I didn’t have internet access until now.  This part covers the weekend at Indian Springs, and I’ll post up Monday through today tomorrow probably since I think the good people at the Starbucks I’m at may get upset if I’m here more than a couple hours.

9/14/12 – Friday

Well, it’s almost 8pm now and I’m all finished setting up! What Google said was suppose to be a 3 hour and 45 minute drive from Bluffton to here at Indian Springs State Park in Georgia actually ended up being more like four and a half hours towing the Casita – I’m not driving faster than 60 miles per hour because that’s the maximum speed my trailer’s tires are rated for. But that doesn’t bother me in the slightest, because now I’m here and any worry I may have had about it not being a good place to spend the weekend has been laid to rest. The drive was uneventful, clear skies and traffic was light.

When I arrived the park ranger told me to drive around and pick a site, then write the site number down on my slip. I’m in site 46, it’s neighboring sites are a bit farther away and was it was easy to back into. The cost is $28 a night for a site with electric and water hook ups, a bit more than I think I’ll want to be paying in the long run, but this part of the trip is suppose to be like a little vacation. As you can see the sites are gravel, all the ones rated for 40′ rigs like this one are quite level, the ones rated for 25′ rigs tend to be at a 90 degree angle to the road and a bit less even so I avoided those since my backing up abilities are still shaky.

During the two hours it has taken me to get everything set up, RVs have been rolling in for the weekend. When I arrived maybe ¼ of the sites were full, now probably 2/3 are. Julie should be getting off work any time now, she’ll be driving out in her car to meet me here late tonight, one last going away party before she drives back to Bluffton Monday morning and I turn Bertha northward.

I’ve already done a preliminary walk around the camping area. As it turns out there is a lake here in the camping area too. It’s on the other loop, but none of the sites are directly on it so I don’t feel bad having chosen the loop I’m in. I still snapped a couple pictures, it’s quite pretty. I’ve been taking video too, started this morning as I was leaving and have been taking little clips here and there. I’ll put them up on the blog at some point, not quite sure how to organize them yet but I’ll figure it out. Time to take a shower and eat something!

9/16/12 – Sunday

Indian Springs was definitely a good choice. Julie arrived at about 1:30 in the morning yesterday, we crashed as soon as she got here pretty much. Then after sleeping in we got up and walked around the park. The water level is low here, like in so many places in the US right now due to drought – but that meant that these falls were dry enough to walk on. Water trickled through the dam from the lake farther up stream then lazily makes its way down to this rocky bed, full of steps. The actual spring that the park is named for is located near this area too and park visitors are free to drink from it, but it smelled sulfuric and rather off-putting so I didn’t try.

After that, we got firewood available at the camp host’s site ($5 for 10 logs) and got back in the car to try the nature trail located near the entrance to the park. At some point we took a wrong turn and got a little off the marked trail, but that’s okay because it took us down to a stream meandering through the woods.

After getting back from that, it was campfire time! I’m a bit ashamed to admit it, but I’m rubbish at fire starting. We gathered small and medium sized sticks in addition to the newspaper I had to get the fire going, and still almost failed. It was pretty touchy there for a while, but eventually we were rewarded with coals fit to cook hotdogs and marshmallows over for dinner, camp fires are one of my favorite parts of camping.

Today was a hiking day. Dauset Trails is a privately owned nature complex located between Big Falls and Indian Springs parks and hosts several miles of free hiking and biking trails in addition to the animal complex that you need to pay to get into. Indeed when we arrived at the trails we saw numerous parties of serious looking bikers getting their expensive looking mountain bikes ready to go and we felt a little under dressed for the occasion with our capris and tee shirts.

We probably walked 3-4 miles or so, crisscrossing over several trails and trying not to melt as the sun climbed higher in the sky. It briefly sprinkled during the hike, it felt great. I got the app for my iphone on Friday and it came in handy, showing me that indeed the rain wasn’t going to get bad enough to warrant cutting the trip short.

Now we’re back at the campsite and preparing for a fire again. We drove to nearby Jackson to pick up fire starting logs, it was $4 for a pack of 4 of them, we’ll see how it goes. Julie also gave me a going away present – a George Foreman grill! The little one, that is perfect Casita sized. I’m looking forward to easier chicken cooking on the road.

I haven’t had time to think up a rating system for the places I stay at, and I may never. But overall I give Indian Springs a thumbs up for any of you out there who are looking for a nice place to stay in central Georgia. Tomorrow the next leg of my journey begins, the trip up to South Dakota. Stay tuned…

, , , ,

22 Responses to Indian Springs State Park, GA

1. Sherry September 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

You are on the road!!!! WELL DONE! Happy and safe trails.

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

Thanks Sherry! I’m letting Julie know where I’m staying every night, so at least someone knows where I am…

2. Misty September 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Be careful with the firestarting logs. I’ve heard somewhere that you’re not supposed to cook over them. I’m not sure if it’s true, but maybe look into it to be sure. XD

Anyhow, I’m glad the start of your trip is going so well! 😀
    Misty recently posted..How to fill a watermelon with fireworksMy Profile

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

They’ll say on the packaging if they’re safe to cook over or not, I made sure to pick one up that was food safe.

3. jim September 20, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Georgia fatwood is an excellent tinder to get fires started. It is made from a native Georgia tree and full of sap which ignites easily and burns quickly. Ask around for some.

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

Ahh the things I learn, thanks Jim. 🙂

4. Kathy September 20, 2012 at 8:22 am #

So happy all is well! Exciting to be on your way after planning this for so long! I understand your frustration with fire starting, but Jim’s suggestion sounds good. We have a wood stove (home not in an RV 🙂 and you’d think that would be easy, but every season I have to remind myself how to get it going full blaze and keep it going! I look forward to your posts in the coming months.

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

My dad and brother are both great at making fires! I try to copy them and still have troubles, i guess I must take after my mother’s side of the family, haha. Thanks for following along.

5. Marvin September 20, 2012 at 9:18 am #

If your trailer tires are rated for 60mph , I would keep max speed at 55 mph until I could verify the tire temperatures .

A slower pace is better than a tire problem .

The hand on tread test at a rest stop , as soon as you stop , should give you all tires at approx the same temperature .

The George Forman Grill is perfect for outdoor cooking on the picnic table – Julie is indeed a great friend .

Enjoy each day and be safe !

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

Actually they’re tires meant for a small truck not a trailer, so they’re a cut above the average trailer tire, still good advice though. I’ll try that hand trick once I’m on the road again. Thanks and I will. 🙂

*edit* Julie complained that I didn’t agree that she was awesome (she is) so I’m just stating the fact here for record. 😛

6. Ron September 20, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Sending positive thoughts for your safe and trouble free trip to South Dakota.

Regarding your comment on your tires speed rating. Where did you find the rating? I recently purchased a used Casita and need to determine the rating for the 15″ tires on mine. Is the rating listed on the tire sidewall? I currently have my trailer at a storage facility so, at the moment its not handy to go look at the tires.

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

To be honest I’m not sure Ron, the previous owner told me they were small truck tires and to go 60 with them, I tried checking the tires myself to find this information and didn’t see it. He gave me the receipt for the tires along with all the other paperwork though, i could probably look them up online and find it out. I bet if you get the make and model of tire you could look yours up too.

Mine are 14″ though, I would think yours would be rated for a higher speed but who knows.

• Ron September 21, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Thanks Becky…. I’ll do so some more investing on tire speed ratings. I appreciate your having mentioned speed ratings as I hadn’t given that a thought before. When I bought my 2009 Casita I had to drive 1,000 miles round trip to get it. 500 of those miles were towing the trailer home driving at around 70 MPH.

Good travels to ya!

• Becky September 21, 2012 at 10:31 am #

I would be interested in hearing what you find out for the larger tires, that way if someone else asks me I know what to tell them. I hope you’re having fun with your Casita, and thanks!

7. Dave September 20, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Happy trails! You’re travelling through areas I’ve never been so I’m looking forward to your posts and pics. Thanks.

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Got plenty of pics of SD, and a few taken along the way, they’ll be in an upcoming post…

8. Kim and Jerry Portelli September 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Have a safe trip to South Dakota!! Looking forward to meeting you in Coffeyville!
    Kim and Jerry Portelli recently posted..Amazon NoteworthyMy Profile

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

Yep, looking forward to meeting you too! Like you I have my heart set on being a Picker, we’ll see what happens there…

9. kcgaz September 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Next time you are at Walmart, pick up a bottle of charcoal starter fluid. Place rolled up newspaper under your logs and spray some of the fluid on both the newspaper and the logs. The fire will burn fast and bright for a few minutes and then it will settle down to a perfect campfire. Works every time!

• Becky September 20, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Thanks for the tip, and thanks for following along

10. hobopals September 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

So good to hear from you! You made it, girl! I’m only about an hour and a half from you. I have camped at Indian Springs and High Falls is not far from you off 75. I don’t suppose you’ll have time, but Whistle Stop Cafe is not far from you – “Fried Green Tomatoes” was filmed there and it is just as it was in the movie.

So happy for you and I look forward to following your journey and its adventures. You surely do have a great friend in Julie.
    hobopals recently posted..Remembering 911My Profile

• Becky September 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Sadly I’m long gone from Indian Springs now, but I’ll keep that in mind! I think I drove past Whistle Stop on the way in or out, seem to recall seeing something named that…

Thanks for following along Nancy and you’re right, Julie is a great friend.