Two Days until Takeoff

With four days until departure, it finally stops raining inside the Casita.

Perhaps a bit of explaining is in order. Some time ago I hung up a clock in the RV that also displays temperature and humidity, and the best part: weather based on the humidity. Anything above 75% and the clock thinks it’s raining and displays a little rain cloud and a frowny face because of the decreased comfort level.

As you can imagine, this being coastal South Carolina during the summer and me not having a dehumidifier, it’s always raining inside. Up until Monday anyway. After a typically muggy day on Sunday, during that evening the temperature actually dropped below 70 degrees outside and the humidity backed off. Since then we’ve been having cooler nights and less humid days and the clock is showing partly sunny inside, perhaps fall is finally on the way. Now that I’m leaving. Of course.

Other than the mugginess, Sunday was a good day. Mostly overcast but no rain, which was great for our saltwater marsh kayaking trip with our friend from Charleston. This time we started at low tide and finished near high tide, the rise in water level as we went was quite dramatic. You can compare this picture to the one from my previous kayaking trip here to see just how much the tide fluctuates around here.

Meandering pathways through the cordgrass that were dry or cut off by oyster beds as we were heading out were clear on the way back with a five foot rise in the water table. Green herons and snowy egrets were out in abundance, and we also spied a poor owl being chased by several crows. Schools of small fish swarmed flotsam coming in with the tide, and fiddler crabs scuttled along the muddy banks, quick to disappear into their holes as we paddled past.

Progress continues on my RV. This is what my Reese hitch looks like, fully functioning and operational for the first time since I bought it back in April. It sure is nice to have it all put together, and Monday it was put to the test as I drove it back out to Matthew’s Marine, the lot where I stored the Casita in the weeks before moving into it. They have a washing station there, and Bill was going to let me wash it for free. Julie and I scrubbed all the green and black off of it over the next two hours, and though he tried to decline I handed Bill a five on our way out.

I call this color blindingly clean white. Red Max Pro is the kind of wax that I use on the Casita, it’s actually a floor wax but several Casita owners swear by the stuff. It goes on easy and makes even the chalkiest of gelcoats look shiny and new (I wouldn’t recommend it for non-fiberglass RVs). I know several owners who have had their wax jobs last a year or more, sadly I won’t be getting that kind of mileage out of it. Where the sun has been hitting the trailer the most through the summer the wax is already gone, and we took a bit more off as we were scrubbing. Then again, for the best effect you’re suppose to put five very thin layers of the wax on, and I only managed two.

After all of that sweating and scrubbing, it was time to hit Hunting Island one last time. Getting the RV set back up at Stoney Crest took about as long as getting it ready to roll was – about two hours. I’m thinking that the more I do it, the quicker I’ll get, although the way I see it going slow is preferable to trying to rush the job and forgetting something. By the time Julie and I made it out there it was already five in the afternoon, good thing the park is open until nine during daylight savings.

It being Monday and after Labor Day, there weren’t many people around, the perfect time to be at the beach. We walked all the way down to the campground, what can I say, I still enjoy looking at other people’s RVs. My efforts were rewarded, for in the first loop I spied another fiberglass egg, this specimen being a 13′ Scamp.

In all the times I’ve been out to Hunting Island, this is the first time I’ve been on the beach at sunset, it was gorgeous. We swam in the ocean until we got cold, then walked along the beach until we ran out of light. I’ve already told Julie that when I come down here to visit, this is where I’ll be staying with the Casita. And so I bid the lighthouse goodbye and goodnight on our way out, but only until next time.

Yesterday I signed up for my new health insurance through Coventry One, as my current carrier Humana doesn’t do business in South Dakota. If you’re looking to go full-time and aren’t sure where to start with health insurance, is a good resource. They ask for some basic information including age, sex, and location, and then spit out numerous (in my case, 54) plans from many health insurance companies.

I also got my hair cut, called some places to get my address changed, unrolled the awning to verify that yes indeed it works, and failed to fall asleep in a timely manner due to itchy fire ant bites. I’ll miss many things about South Carolina, but the fire ants aren’t one of them.

Today was also full of stuff to do. I took Bertha in to be washed, packed away the rest of the outdoor furniture, then organized the bed of the truck so that it all fits. The windows of the Casita are now clean, the two snap caps that got knocked off when we were washing are replaced, and I have purchased shoes for working at Amazon.

At one-o-clock I had an appointment with Martin and Catherine to replace the anode rod in my water heater, these are the good folks who came over to help me with the plumbing vents. Martin came armed with an arsenal of tools and lubricants prepared to assault the rusty and corroded looking anode rod. He set up his station, and we all hunkered down for what we were expecting to be a long and drawn out battle. And then the rod came loose easily with the first twist of the socket wrench, not even a spritz of WD-40 needed. It was all very anticlimactic.

If your anode rod is 50% gone, it’s probably best to replace it. Suburban’s official policy says that when 75% of the weight is gone it needs replacing. If it looks like this however, then it should have been replaced many moons ago. The good news: no sand or grit in the tank means that my water filter has been doing it’s job, and no purple flecks means that the porcelain lining of the tank is still intact, which means that I got off lucky and caught it before any serious damage was done to the water heater.

And now it’s almost midnight. I’ll try to put up a quick post on Friday before I leave for Indian Springs, if not I’ll catch you all on the other side. Goodnight, and pleasant dreams.

, , , , , , ,

25 Responses to Two Days until Takeoff

1. Page September 13, 2012 at 6:32 am #

So excited for you!
    Hub and I (we’re just up the coast in Mt. Pleasant) still have a while to go – a lifetime of stuff to get rid of.
    Do you follow RV Sue and her Canine Crew? She went full time last year in a 17′ Casita and has not looked back.
    I look forward to reading your adventures.
    Be well.

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Hiya Page,

Yes I follow RVSue, love her blog.

I think the best way to work on downsizing is to pick one small part at a time, otherwise it’s so easy to get overwhelmed and not get anything done.

Thanks for reading. πŸ™‚

2. cozygirl September 13, 2012 at 8:41 am #

NICE do….looks great on you and be perfect for travel. You’ll sure be on my radar as you travel…~cozygirl

β€œDo not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Haha, it only looked that good the first day when it was styled for me. My hair is thick and wavy and frizzy and it’ll only look like that with a lot of time and effort, which I’m not willing to spend myself. Still though, shorter is easier.

3. Misty September 13, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Haha, that’s a good reminder. I keep meaning to check my anode rod, because I suspect it’s the type of thing that the previous owners would have neglected. They took meticulous care of things they could see, but kind of neglected things they couldn’t. πŸ˜›

I’m so glad that you’re finally heading out. You are going to have the most amazing experience! πŸ˜€
    Misty recently posted..Settled into ConnecticutMy Profile

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Thanks Misty! Yeah I neglected the anode rod for a good four months before finally getting around to it, and it’s a good thing I did because boy did it need changing. Mine required a 6 sided 1 and 1/16″ sized socket, something I didn’t have. I’m not sure if your water heater is the same as mine, but maybe that will help.

4. Kim and Jerry Portelli September 13, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Jerry and I have just finished our first week at Amazon, here in Coffeyville! And we are just five weeks into our new, full-time RV lifestyle. We enjoy reading our blog and wish you a safe trip to Kansas!

Where are you staying in Coffeyville? We are at the Buckeye RV Estates. Hopefully while we are all here, we can meet in person. My email is

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Hello Kim and Jerry, welcome to IO! I hope you’re enjoying life on the road so far.

I’ll be at Big Chief across the road, but would love to meet up with you guys sometime. I’ll be arriving there on the 28th, I’ll shoot you an e-mail once I get into town.

5. Teri H September 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Woohoo! I’m excited for you! And your haircut is adorable!

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Thanks Teri! It doesn’t look quite as adorable now that it isn’t styled all nice, but still not bad.

6. Marcia September 13, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Happy Trails! Looks like you are ready for take-off, girl. All the best as you begin this phase of your adventure.

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Thanks Marcia. I’m literally finishing typing these replies then getting the last of everything put up and driving off. What a busy day but I’m so excited!

7. hobopals September 13, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Wishing you the happiest take off heading into the happiest times of your life. I look forward to hearing about your adventures. You are going to have so much FUN!
    hobopals recently posted..Remembering 911My Profile

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Thanks Nancy! Wishing you the best as well, I hope that you and Jack make it back on the road someday.

8. Glenn September 13, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of the CDL (Commercial Drivers License) instructions. Not that you need it but it’s nice to know what to expect from the “big trucks.” A CB radio to listen to their traffic is fun also.

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Thanks for the tip Glenn. You’re right, I’d probably enjoy eavesdropping on them.

9. Tina September 13, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

So excited for you and love your new hair cut. Safe travels and looking forward to this wonderful adventure starting for you after all your planning and hard work.

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Thanks Tina! I’m hoping for a nice relaxing weekend at Indian Springs after all the hustle and bustle these past few weeks getting ready.

10. Dale September 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Yay! go girl go! I’ve been getting my Oyster Can (my trailer) and Mule (tow vehicle) ready for a RVing relaunch as well. My relaunch target is the Georgia burn at the end of the month.The Oyster Can and Mule are old though and have seen many adventures, and no cute girls are there to help scrub them down and give them beautiful new-mojo (so a clueless North Georgia Mountain fella had to do it), but I did manage to make myself a new awning out of painter’s canvas, left over poly-urethane and a sewing machine. Yes, I can sew. I use to do costume design for fun- this is the first time that I’ve made an awning. I priced the proper replacement material eeek!!! tilt!!! My piggy bank just hid under the camper, while cowering in absolute fear. My homemade awning looks way better than I thought it would though. and I’m not out to win any fancy awards, heck it will likely hold up better than the arm and a leg brand. Total cost 50bucks vs about a grand.
    As for water heaters and anodes, I keep some plumbers tape for water-heaters on hand (to wrap around the anode) and flush my water heater every 7 to 8 months or so (sometimes sooner). If the rod is ok, I clean it (and the water heater) with clorox and put it back in. The anodes can last about 2 years unless you get something that eats them badly in the water. I do like a clean water heater, a dirty one can make your whole water system yucky.

Anyway, I hope you have wonderful adventures,

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Thanks Dale.

Yeah I was glad to see that my Casita came with an awning already installed, it would have cost me about $850 to put one on. That’s enough to make anyone’s piggy bank cringe.

I did wrap my new anode with teflon tape before putting it in, haven’t had a chance to test the water proofness yet, that’ll be later today once I arrive at the campground.

Safe travels and happy trails to you too!

11. Sherry September 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

That is a fabulous picture of where you are “from” now that you are off to see the world. LOVE Hunting Island SP. I’ll be there mid November.

I am SO excited for you. What a great thing you are doing while you are so young. Smart smart girl is all I have to say. You’ll never regret it. Love the picture of you scrubbing the Casita.

A new haircut for a new start in life is a great idea.
    Sherry recently posted..Back in the HospitalMy Profile

• Becky September 14, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Hello Sherry,

Enjoy Hunting Island! Well it’s hard not too, it’s such a beautiful place. Mid-November is a good time to show up, the crowds are gone and it’s no longer as hot and gross during the day.

I hope David gets well soon, tick bites are no fun, if that was the cause. Up in Wisconsin we had deer ticks which could carry something called Lyme disease, not fun stuff.

12. Becky September 14, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Okay everyone, getting offline and finishing getting ready to leave. I’ll respond to new comments and post about the trip once I have internet – it probably won’t be until early next week. Have a good weekend!

13. Reine September 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Safe travels Becky. By now you have started your ADVENTURE. Have fun.

• Becky September 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Oh I am! Made it to South Dakota in one piece, as did Bertha and the Casita. New post is incoming. πŸ™‚